Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Are chippers legal?

Go down 
+9
asahi
slinger
alenheng_cnx
nientsu
Right_sided_coach
Tituman
eiji
Duval_S
Gray
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Gray
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Gray

Are chippers legal? Empty
PostSubject: Are chippers legal?   Are chippers legal? I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 03, 2010 4:44 pm

Are chippers (putting wedges) allowed for use in tournaments?
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Are chippers legal?   Are chippers legal? I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 03, 2010 5:20 pm

sure....I use my wedges for putting if at fringe
Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
eiji

PostSubject: Re: Are chippers legal?   Are chippers legal? I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 03, 2010 5:30 pm

USGA rules do not disallow chippers
Back to top Go down
http://www.idealparts.com.sg
Tituman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Tituman

PostSubject: Re: Are chippers legal?   Are chippers legal? I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 03, 2010 5:35 pm

eiji wrote:
USGA rules do not disallow chippers

*do not disallow* sipeh chim.... Question got to read and re read then analysed it then understand what you trying to say ..... lol! Of course that is after utilising mathematical theory, the method of 2 minus becomes a plus...*do not* = minus, disallow=minus...so in Maths 2 minus = 1 plus which means *can* ... lol! ROFL ROFL Anyway, I have one in my bag and it is staying steadfast in it liao. No way of removing it at the moment.

scratch scratch do I begin to sound like somebody???? .....*Duval* ????

Titu
Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
eiji

PostSubject: Re: Are chippers legal?   Are chippers legal? I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 03, 2010 5:48 pm

the rules do not explicitly say chippers are allowed or say that chippers are disallowed. so i use the specific term, do not disallow, means it is not stated whether it is allowed or disallowed specifically. Technically chippers do not break any USGA rules governing equipment, the only thing to note is that the grooves must be conforming if you intend to participate in tournaments.

I hope I am correct in saying this, maybe a pro can verify this.
Back to top Go down
http://www.idealparts.com.sg
Right_sided_coach
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
Right_sided_coach

PostSubject: Re: Are chippers legal?   Are chippers legal? I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 03, 2010 5:53 pm

They also must have a rounded grip, not a putter grip otherwise illegal. I feel they are a waste of a club. You can do the same thing gripping down with an 8 or 9 iron
Back to top Go down
Tituman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Tituman

PostSubject: Re: Are chippers legal?   Are chippers legal? I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 03, 2010 6:50 pm

http://www.eclubgolf.com/

Ya..The grip is a round normal iron grip. Not putter grip.
Back to top Go down
nientsu
Caddy
Caddy
nientsu

PostSubject: Re: Are chippers legal?   Are chippers legal? I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 03, 2010 7:12 pm

to me, a chipper looks like a putter with loft. Very one dimensional piece of eqpt. Agree with Paul on the fact that it is a waste of club to put it in the bag. a choked down 8,9 or pw works the same.
Back to top Go down
alenheng_cnx
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Are chippers legal?   Are chippers legal? I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 03, 2010 8:30 pm

alright,you see at grip on chipper.If it's not putter grip.There is conform.
Back to top Go down
http://www.cnxgolf.com
Tituman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Tituman

PostSubject: Re: Are chippers legal?   Are chippers legal? I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 03, 2010 9:22 pm

nientsu wrote:
to me, a chipper looks like a putter with loft. Very one dimensional piece of eqpt. Agree with Paul on the fact that it is a waste of club to put it in the bag. a choked down 8,9 or pw works the same.

Hi Malcolm, here is my set up.

1. Driver ------ 180-200 m
2. Callaway Steelhead Plus 2 no. 4F ------ 170-185
3. Cleveland Halo Hybrid no. 3 ------ 155-170
4. 5 Iron ------ 145-155
5. 6 Iron ------ 135-145
6. 7 Iron ------ 125-135
7. 8 Iron ------ 120-130
8. 9 Iron ------ 110-120
9. Pitch ------ 95-110
10. Gap ------ 80-95
11. Sand ------ 65-80
12. Lob ------ 15-65
13. Chipper ------ 10-20
14. Putter ------ 0-***

Hi Malcolm, I don't think I waste any club at all as I am prepared for all distances. Except most of the time, what my brain tells me to do, my hand could not execute its order accurately most of the time.....sigh lol! ROFL

Titu
Back to top Go down
nientsu
Caddy
Caddy
nientsu

PostSubject: Re: Are chippers legal?   Are chippers legal? I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 03, 2010 9:31 pm

Titu

Interesting set-up

4 wedges, excluding the chipper.

Ask for chipping tips when Great Grand Idol S70B comes back from states end month (or next month). His method is simple and easy to remember.
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Are chippers legal?   Are chippers legal? I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 03, 2010 10:30 pm

@ Titu bro......8 iron 130m.....power le....(relative to my 'short hitter'distance)

Back to top Go down
Tituman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Tituman

PostSubject: Re: Are chippers legal?   Are chippers legal? I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 03, 2010 10:33 pm

Mal, my chipper is my putter outside the green. It definitely works better than using any irons because of its heavier head in comparison to normal irons. Its a no brainer. You noticed for my Lob, as long as its inside 60m, I just take it with my putter. My chipper was added in just recently though I bot it 5-6 years ago when I was a beginner. But believe it or not, I NEVER used it before at all during all that time until recently, when rummaging thru my *extras* and I brought it out and have a game using it and boy oh boy, did it work??? From within 10/15m outside the green, my chances of 1 putt is very good on using the chipper. And to date, I guessed I gamed it less than 5-6 games so far. And it will now have a permanent place in my bag. As long as it makes my game easier, go for it.

titu
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

PostSubject: Re: Are chippers legal?   Are chippers legal? I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 03, 2010 10:34 pm

Duval_S wrote:
@ Titu bro......8 iron 130m.....power le....(relative to my 'short hitter'distance)

but u more power, 8i can go 0-130m....... instead of 120-130m

envy u lor..... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Tituman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Tituman

PostSubject: Re: Are chippers legal?   Are chippers legal? I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 03, 2010 10:38 pm

nientsu wrote:
Titu

Interesting set-up

4 wedges, excluding the chipper.

Ask for chipping tips when Great Grand Idol S70B comes back from states end month (or next month). His method is simple and easy to remember.

Mal, some people are talented, some are not. I belong to the latter. Got to find ways to make my game easier lor.

@Bro Duval.... notice 120 to 130 ???? ha ha. On hard green it will roll to 140 sometimes. Depends on where it connect on the ball kekekkeke .... lol! ROFL
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Are chippers legal?   Are chippers legal? I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 03, 2010 10:39 pm

Quote :
slinger wrote:
Duval_S wrote:

but u more power, 8i can go 0-130m....... instead of 120-130m

envy u lor..... Very Happy

aiyoh...idol.....wrong lah

8iron is for 20m - 130m lah....

but then, bloody 9iron is also fm 20m to 120m

PW also 20m....to 110m.....

something is very wrong....that is why I get confused when I am between 20m to 120m.....donno which to use.....will seek to see you for enlightenment....ohm ohm ohm
Back to top Go down
Tituman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Tituman

PostSubject: Re: Are chippers legal?   Are chippers legal? I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 03, 2010 10:42 pm

My pc sick liao la after having it re formatted. I swear I saw Slinger's in this thread but when I click, his post is not there. I noticed this lots of times today. See liao. Kenna virus one more time. But run thru more than 2 different types of virus scannings which shows nothing...sigh... Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

PostSubject: Re: Are chippers legal?   Are chippers legal? I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 03, 2010 10:48 pm

u seek i will provide....

anything less than 50m, i throw with my hands, have good result with it...... suspect its from my school going days when i pon-tan to play marbles with my frens

u play marbles i school?
Back to top Go down
Gray
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Gray

PostSubject: Re: Are chippers legal?   Are chippers legal? I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 03, 2010 10:52 pm

Right_sided_coach wrote:
They also must have a rounded grip, not a putter grip otherwise illegal. I feel they are a waste of a club. You can do the same thing gripping down with an 8 or 9 iron

Thats one point of view but the chipper I am looking for has an upright lie of 70*deg. so can use the putting stroke more.

Using the 8 iron with my graphite shaft does not allow me to use the putting stroke.
Back to top Go down
Gray
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Gray

PostSubject: Re: Are chippers legal?   Are chippers legal? I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 03, 2010 10:54 pm

somehow I look thru most good golf stores in Singapore and cannot find the Odyssey marxman. Anyone has one and want to sell? Pan West doesnt bring it in anymore
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: Are chippers legal?   Are chippers legal? I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 03, 2010 10:59 pm

slinger wrote:

anything less than 50m, i throw with my hands, have good result with it...... suspect its from my school going days when i pon-tan to play marbles with my frens

u play marbles i school?

I prefer the finger in fist kind of throw as compared to one handed throw.
Got spin. lol! lol!
Back to top Go down
Tituman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Tituman

PostSubject: Re: Are chippers legal?   Are chippers legal? I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 03, 2010 10:59 pm

slinger wrote:

u play marbles i school?

You play spiders or not? Don't think so. Best part when fighting male spider against another male spider. The one who lost runs away. Then we take a female one and hold it down gently by pressing her body, not allowing it to run away. The male will approach the female and after having XXX with her, he is brave enough to fight again. Unless you provide the losing male this privilege, he will run away from the other male who defeated him. BUt after his XXX he is brave enough for a return match though. I wonder why??? Any body understand what I was talkingabout? Only those who played with spider will know and I really wonder how many of you guys out there have this chance.?
Back to top Go down
Tituman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Tituman

PostSubject: Re: Are chippers legal?   Are chippers legal? I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 03, 2010 11:02 pm

Gray wrote:
Right_sided_coach wrote:

Thats one point of view but the chipper I am looking for has an upright lie of 70*deg. so can use the putting stroke more.

Using the 8 iron with my graphite shaft does not allow me to use the putting stroke.

My e-bantam has 19* loft and it is actually a putter which looks like a club. You swing it like a putter.
Back to top Go down
RegiT
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Are chippers legal?   Are chippers legal? I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 03, 2010 11:02 pm

Chipper is like iron cover......not very pro
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

PostSubject: Re: Are chippers legal?   Are chippers legal? I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 03, 2010 11:04 pm

Tituman wrote:
slinger wrote:

u play marbles i school?

You play spiders or not? Don't think so. Best part when fighting male spider against another male spider. The one who lost runs away. Then we take a female one and hold it down gently by pressing her body, not allowing it to run away. The male will approach the female and after having XXX with her, he is brave enough to fight again. Unless you provide the losing male this privilege, he will run away from the other male who defeated him. BUt after his XXX he is brave enough for a return match though. I wonder why??? Any body understand what I was talkingabout? Only those who played with spider will know and I really wonder how many of you guys out there have this chance.?

d, are u telling duval to go for "special" everytime he kenna saddam hard hard.....

so that he is brave enough to come back for more..... bounce
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Are chippers legal?   Are chippers legal? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Are chippers legal?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next