Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

When To Change Golf Clubs

Go down 
+15
mengteck71
mysticsea
iron eagle
mUAr_cHEe
alvinlee
Duval_S
eiji
pushslice
BabyCroc
wilkang
Winston
Yarra
daveaha
alvin7379
loy
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
loy
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

When To Change Golf Clubs Empty
PostSubject: When To Change Golf Clubs   When To Change Golf Clubs I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 20, 2010 11:41 am

Hi. Am just wondering - How and when do we know it is time to change golf clubs ( irons, drivers, fairway woods, etc etc ) ? Do golf clubs have a life span ( does the flex of shafts deteriorate over time ? ) or we change whenever we play badly or when there is a newer version ?

Any thots ?

Cheers/Loy
Back to top Go down
alvin7379
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
alvin7379

PostSubject: Re: When To Change Golf Clubs   When To Change Golf Clubs I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 20, 2010 11:46 am

when you got $$$ and dunno where to spend loh...
Back to top Go down
http://www.visualtech.com.sg
daveaha
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
daveaha

PostSubject: Re: When To Change Golf Clubs   When To Change Golf Clubs I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 20, 2010 12:00 pm

When you lost faith in your clubs...

(But most likely the problem is still with your swing... and confidence)...
Back to top Go down
http://www.nufc.sg
Yarra
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: When To Change Golf Clubs   When To Change Golf Clubs I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 20, 2010 12:02 pm

loy wrote:
Hi. Am just wondering - How and when do we know it is time to change golf clubs ( irons, drivers, fairway woods, etc etc ) ? Do golf clubs have a life span ( does the flex of shafts deteriorate over time ? ) or we change whenever we play badly or when there is a newer version ?

Any thots ?

Cheers/Loy

I saw driver head and 3 wood got dented near the sweet spot. I saw shafts snapped into 2 or 3 pieces, both graphites and steel...
Back to top Go down
Winston
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Winston

PostSubject: Re: When To Change Golf Clubs   When To Change Golf Clubs I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 20, 2010 12:06 pm

From what I have heard / read so far...

People suffering from itchrous backsidous syndrome (borrowed form Muar Chee)
Influenced by friends / media / reviews / FR / Idols
Equipment breakdown (Including breakages, Worn out grooves)
Red Indian blame arrow / singer blame mic
Evolution / improvement of the persons' game
Strike 4D / Toto
New technology being introduced into the design / function of clubs.
People selling your "on the wishlist" club at the Marketplace

Personally, I changed cubs because first set not mine, had to return it and eventually bought my own set, all 2nd hand.
Back to top Go down
wilkang
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
wilkang

PostSubject: Re: When To Change Golf Clubs   When To Change Golf Clubs I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 20, 2010 12:06 pm

loy wrote:

Any thots ?

Cheers/Loy

Changing of eqpts is an inevitable process during your golf journey.

I've asked myself numerous times when to change..what to change to.
In the end, i stopped myself and concentrate on my swing and game approach instead.
It'a a never-ending pursuit for the best and newest clubs, most importantly know your progress and play accordingly.

Back to top Go down
BabyCroc
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
BabyCroc

PostSubject: Re: When To Change Golf Clubs   When To Change Golf Clubs I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 20, 2010 12:07 pm

loy wrote:

Any thots ?

Cheers/Loy

When you want to pamper yourself with a new toy? =)
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: When To Change Golf Clubs   When To Change Golf Clubs I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 20, 2010 4:48 pm

agree with methanolic. Ho'ing Golf equipment is just a hobby for me. No different than buying a new phone, new watch, new handbags (for you girls) or whatever your collections are.

I dun worry about impact to my score or handicap bla bla bla coz it doesnt make much difference. As long as the shaft specs and lie angle are suited to me, im ok.

That said, if your clubs are like 10 years old, technology would have moved alot so you could benefit from fresh grooves, higher moi, lower cg etc. These stuff does help. I think those adjustable heads ala r9/str8 fit etc is rather gimmicky though, coz most of us play one position: neutral or closed. Better players may play open face. Rarely do we need to change. If you slice, you slice bros.

Of coz, if i have the time, id rather spend the money on green fees Wink
Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
eiji

PostSubject: Re: When To Change Golf Clubs   When To Change Golf Clubs I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 20, 2010 4:50 pm

When I go ebay...there's when i change golf clubs...

so i need to ban myself from ebay.
Back to top Go down
http://www.idealparts.com.sg
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: When To Change Golf Clubs   When To Change Golf Clubs I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 20, 2010 4:57 pm

I always tot that people change clubs for 2 reasons only:

#1 The number of good shots that came with the clubs are fully utilized

#2 The talent of the user outgrow the ability of the clubs.

PS: I am still stuck with the same club for the past 4 years.....sian.....did not realize my clubs came with a good mix of bad and good shots. And also, talent has not outgrow them
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: When To Change Golf Clubs   When To Change Golf Clubs I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 20, 2010 4:59 pm

Duval, u have 6 more years with your cg golds kekeke buy the mizuno lah, paymaster unwilling?
Back to top Go down
alvinlee
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: When To Change Golf Clubs   When To Change Golf Clubs I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 20, 2010 5:08 pm

is ebay a good place to get clubs?
both new and 2nd hand clubs.
Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
eiji

PostSubject: Re: When To Change Golf Clubs   When To Change Golf Clubs I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 20, 2010 5:23 pm

Duval, i wanna sell my MX200, before i post it up, u interested?
Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
mUAr_cHEe

PostSubject: Re: When To Change Golf Clubs   When To Change Golf Clubs I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 20, 2010 6:53 pm

loy wrote:

Any thots ?

Cheers/Loy

When your backside is itchy.
Back to top Go down
BabyCroc
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
BabyCroc

PostSubject: Re: When To Change Golf Clubs   When To Change Golf Clubs I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 20, 2010 7:16 pm

pushslice wrote:
agree with methanolic. Ho'ing Golf equipment is just a hobby for me. No different than buying a new phone, new watch, new handbags (for you girls) or whatever your collections are.

I dun worry about impact to my score or handicap bla bla bla coz it doesnt make much difference. As long as the shaft specs and lie angle are suited to me, im ok.

That said, if your clubs are like 10 years old, technology would have moved alot so you could benefit from fresh grooves, higher moi, lower cg etc. These stuff does help. I think those adjustable heads ala r9/str8 fit etc is rather gimmicky though, coz most of us play one position: neutral or closed. Better players may play open face. Rarely do we need to change. If you slice, you slice bros.

Of coz, if i have the time, id rather spend the money on green fees Wink

Haha, nice analogy with the new phones and watches and handbags pushslice.

Used to keep thinking about the equipment, but i guess its the swing that matters at the end of the day. given the rate at which the technology in the new clubs improving, it seems never ending. However, occasional new toys or additions to your arsenal might add some fun in your game.
Back to top Go down
loy
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: When To Change Golf Clubs   When To Change Golf Clubs I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 23, 2010 11:51 am

Tks fr all yr comments. I realised that in my quest to improve my scores, I have been buying more and more new equipment. I ended up with 6 putters after using my old one fr almost 8 years. Ok, i figure my old putter is old technology and maybe it is time to change. Then I started to think that maybe I need a hybrid, even tho I can hit with my 4 iron. I ended up with 3 hybrids. That did not work, then I figured maybe I need a long iron, and ended up with a new 3 iron. And it did stop there. Then backside itchy, saw a new driver and bot tat as well. So at the end of the day, I ended up with all this new equipment within the last 6 months but i still cannot figure wthr my game is getting better. Cheers/Loy
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: When To Change Golf Clubs   When To Change Golf Clubs I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 23, 2010 12:01 pm

Time to sell loy, give me frenly frenly price if you got ping clubs kekeke.
Back to top Go down
iron eagle
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: When To Change Golf Clubs   When To Change Golf Clubs I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 23, 2010 12:24 pm

You got Scotty Cameron putter 2.5 ?
Back to top Go down
loy
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: When To Change Golf Clubs   When To Change Golf Clubs I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 23, 2010 5:59 pm

Sorry ah.. I am yamaha ( irons, drivers and woods ) and taylor made ( putters ) person
Back to top Go down
mysticsea
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
mysticsea

PostSubject: Re: When To Change Golf Clubs   When To Change Golf Clubs I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 23, 2010 8:18 pm

as the saying goes... rich man change clubs... poor man change swing...
Back to top Go down
mengteck71
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
mengteck71

PostSubject: Re: When To Change Golf Clubs   When To Change Golf Clubs I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 23, 2010 8:25 pm

i have taken advice from Eric and friends. Get a coach to improve your game. The wise words were "Human very funny, ask them to spend hundreds or thousands to buy new clubs, they will not hesitate.. but ask them engage a coach.. all will like errr..... very expensive leh.. "
Back to top Go down
bomby
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: When To Change Golf Clubs   When To Change Golf Clubs I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 23, 2010 9:03 pm

For me. I tend to change equipment every three to four years, and I only buy 2nd hand ones. And some 2nd clubs are like new btw.

The only club that I have no change for 5 years since I bought it 2nd is my lovely putter.

The reason to change is normally a impulse one. Go shop and see hey got new and used clubs that fit my specs and since can still sellmy old ones, why not.... But usually end up not improving the game just that I have newer clubs to rotate and sometimes take advantage of newer technology.
Back to top Go down
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper

PostSubject: Re: When To Change Golf Clubs   When To Change Golf Clubs I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 23, 2010 11:20 pm

eiji wrote:
When I go ebay...there's when i change golf clubs...

so i need to ban myself from ebay.

Try golfwrx.com Smile

eh, you, me, panji should be part of a thread for heow golfers who have more than 3 golf sets just for kicks Razz
Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
eiji

PostSubject: Re: When To Change Golf Clubs   When To Change Golf Clubs I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 23, 2010 11:22 pm

i just spend more money on ebay
Back to top Go down
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper

PostSubject: Re: When To Change Golf Clubs   When To Change Golf Clubs I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 23, 2010 11:23 pm

what did you buy this time??

i just got my Cleveland Classic #2 BRZ putter Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: When To Change Golf Clubs   When To Change Golf Clubs I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

When To Change Golf Clubs
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next