Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Ping G15 driver

Go down 
+12
simoner
ringrain_78
joshcct
renode
TITW
Duval_S
solarpop
asahi
golfcoma
watchman88sg
golfchowmk
H-bomb
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
H-bomb
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Ping G15 driver Empty
PostSubject: Ping G15 driver   Ping G15 driver I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 12, 2010 11:13 am

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and need some advice. I had been hitting a driver with the following specs and I'd like to get a new Ping G15 with similar specs (especially shaft-wise.. or something similar in an OZIK)

Head: Titleist 907 D2, 9.5 degrees
Shaft: Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana (blue board I think), 62 g, 4.3 degrees torque, Mid flex

Basically, I'm looking for a PING dealer that has a launch monitor and can fit me properly. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
Back to top Go down
golfchowmk
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
golfchowmk

Ping G15 driver Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ping G15 driver   Ping G15 driver I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 12, 2010 11:22 am

H-bomb wrote:
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and need some advice. I had been hitting a driver with the following specs and I'd like to get a new Ping G15 with similar specs (especially shaft-wise.. or something similar in an OZIK)

Shaft: Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana (blue board I think), 62 g, 4.3 degrees torque, Mid flex

Basically, I'm looking for a PING dealer that has a launch monitor and can fit me properly. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Hi, Go to custom golf at bishan driving range. ping custom fitting shop.
Back to top Go down
watchman88sg
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
watchman88sg

Ping G15 driver Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ping G15 driver   Ping G15 driver I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 12, 2010 3:38 pm

golfchowmk wrote:
H-bomb wrote:

Hi, Go to custom golf at bishan driving range. ping custom fitting shop.

How to have a proper fit if you can even remember whether your Diamana shaft is Blue / Red / White board ? Is this a 'made for' Titleist or after market shaft ? A custom fitted G15 with Diamana blue (assuming your current shaft is Blue) will not play to the same flex.....
Back to top Go down
golfcoma
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

Ping G15 driver Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ping G15 driver   Ping G15 driver I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 12, 2010 4:15 pm

If it has a 4.3 torque, it can't be blueboard. It's probably their stock shaft.

Recommend that you go and see a good clubfitter. Besides the one at Bishan, you can also try Big Fish.
Back to top Go down
H-bomb
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Ping G15 driver Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ping G15 driver   Ping G15 driver I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 12, 2010 4:23 pm

Thanks golfchowmk and golfcoma, appreciate the tips! Watchman88sq I assume you mean 'How can you get a proper fit if you can't even remember whether your Diamana shaft is Blue / Red / White board ?'. Well the club in question wasn't mine. It was one I had been using quite a bit, but this was about 8-9 months ago back when I was in Australia... so can't be sure, sorry. I'm just after a custom fit G15 that will have similar playing characteristics... not specifically a G15 with a diamana blue. Any suggestions? I would also appreciate any additional suggestions you might have on where I could get go for a fitting.
Back to top Go down
golfcoma
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

Ping G15 driver Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ping G15 driver   Ping G15 driver I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 12, 2010 4:30 pm

H-bomb, there are lots of clubfitters in Singapore. Personally, I go to Eric at Big Fish not only for his technical expertise but also for his honesty. The first couple of times I went to Big Fish (two years ago), he actually turned me away and told me that equipment wasn't my problem where many of the other clubfitters I visited tried to sell me their products.

Do your own research and visit a few clubfitters before you decide.
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

Ping G15 driver Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ping G15 driver   Ping G15 driver I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 12, 2010 4:41 pm

Yup. Eric is as honest a clubfitter you can get.

Likewise as golfcoma, I got turned away for fitting for driver and iron initially. Only when I got my swing right, did he fit me for driver.

But now lost my driver swing....well, that's another story by itself. It's the singer most times and not the song.

Last edited by asahi on Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
watchman88sg
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
watchman88sg

Ping G15 driver Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ping G15 driver   Ping G15 driver I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 12, 2010 4:51 pm

golfcoma wrote:
H-bomb, there are lots of clubfitters in Singapore. Personally, I go to Eric at Big Fish not only for his technical expertise but also for his honesty. The first couple of times I went to Big Fish (two years ago), he actually turned me away and told me that equipment wasn't my problem where many of the other clubfitters I visited tried to sell me their products.

H-bomb, I am with golfcoma on this. Without the proper specifications you have in mind, it is going to be difficult to determine what the playing characteristics are going to be compared to the 907D2 you have played. I do not know who the good club fitters are in Singapore as have been away for much too long. Best is to get fitted with the Vector Pro or any launch monitor to work out the numbers and the process thereafter.
Back to top Go down
solarpop
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
solarpop

Ping G15 driver Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ping G15 driver   Ping G15 driver I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 12, 2010 11:24 pm

watchman88sg wrote:
golfcoma wrote:

H-bomb, I am with golfcoma on this. Without the proper specifications you have in mind, it is going to be difficult to determine what the playing characteristics are going to be compared to the 907D2 you have played. I do not know who the good club fitters are in Singapore as have been away for much too long. Best is to get fitted with the Vector Pro or any launch monitor to work out the numbers and the process thereafter.

watchman: I totally disagree with what you're saying. What's the point of having a professional fitting when you already have pre-conceived notions of what you want or what you think will work for you? If that's the case, skip the fitting and just buy the shaft to have it installed. It is the clubfitter's job to identify the best combination of equipment based on his experience and assessment of your swing.

I think the "research" golfcoma was referring to was on the clubfitters in sg and not the specific equipment.
Back to top Go down
solarpop
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
solarpop

Ping G15 driver Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ping G15 driver   Ping G15 driver I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 12, 2010 11:37 pm

On a separate note, to H-bomb..

I'm not sure how the 907 performs, but i recently just switched from a 909D2 to the G15. I have tried all the different lofts and stock shafts (TFC, Serrano and even some UST) on a launch monitor. Initial assessment was that the club head felt nice on impact, but the shafts just felt weird. Couldn't put my finger on what was wrong though. Eventually i got mine with a diamana 'ilima shaft and i love it. I didn't get fitted for it though, i saw it for sale on golfwrx and decided to just try my luck. Used it once at the range, and my 909 was out of the bag Smile Earlier this week i hit my longest drive ever..

Bottom line, prepare to spend extra on an aftermarket shaft if you get the G15. The clubhead is good, but the stock shafts are quite rubbish.
Back to top Go down
H-bomb
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Ping G15 driver Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ping G15 driver   Ping G15 driver I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 14, 2010 7:17 pm

Asahi, Golfcoma and watchman, thanks for the follow up and the advice about Eric at Big Fish. I'll contact him. Solarpop, thanks for the valuable info about the G15 and shafts... Appreciate everyones input!
Back to top Go down
watchman88sg
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
watchman88sg

Ping G15 driver Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ping G15 driver   Ping G15 driver I_icon_minitimeSat Aug 14, 2010 11:48 pm

solarpop wrote:
watchman88sg wrote:
golfcoma wrote:

H-bomb, I am with golfcoma on this. Without the proper specifications you have in mind, it is going to be difficult to determine what the playing characteristics are going to be compared to the 907D2 you have played. I do not know who the good club fitters are in Singapore as haBest is to get fitted with the Vector Pro or any launch monitor to work out the numbers and the process thereafter.
ve been away for much too long.
watchman: I totally disagree with what you're saying. What's the point of having a professional fitting when you already have pre-conceived notions of what you want or what you think will work for you? If that's the case, skip the fitting and just buy the shaft to have it installed. It is the clubfitter's job to identify the best combination of equipment based on his experience and assessment of your swing.

I think the "research" golfcoma was referring to was on the clubfitters in sg and not the specific equipment.

solarpop, read my response again, I was basing on the assumption that H-bomb already knew his own specification and henceforth my suggestion. You couldn't comprehend my next sentence "Best is to get fitted with the Vector Pro or any launch monitor to work out the numbers and the process thereafter." ?

Different golfers have different demands, I get my clubs fitted accordingly to what I want because I KNOW MY OWN SPECIFICATIONS ! You need not agree with me on this.
Back to top Go down
solarpop
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
solarpop

Ping G15 driver Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ping G15 driver   Ping G15 driver I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 15, 2010 12:55 pm

What's your definition of being fitted then? Having a professional analyze your swing, then giving you recommendations; or thinking you know what works best for you, and telling the club builder to just install it?

You were suggesting that it was necessary to know what you want before getting fitted, which i think is very untrue. In fact, if someone were to go for a fitting session thinking his swing should use equipment of a certain specification, he might be less receptive should the fitter tell him otherwise.
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

Ping G15 driver Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ping G15 driver   Ping G15 driver I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 15, 2010 2:24 pm

my 2cents only lah...(maybe its just 1.5 cents coz of my lacking in golfing proeffienciency)

Fitting can mean, I donno what I want, so I get a fitter to recommend me what I want.

Fitting can also mean, I know what I want...so pls have the fitter to fit to what I want.
Back to top Go down
watchman88sg
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
watchman88sg

Ping G15 driver Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ping G15 driver   Ping G15 driver I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 15, 2010 4:20 pm

Duval_S wrote:
my 2cents only lah...(maybe its just 1.5 cents coz of my lacking in golfing proeffienciency)

Fitting can mean, I donno what I want, so I get a fitter to recommend me what I want.

Fitting can also mean, I know what I want...so pls have the fitter to fit to what I want.

Not too difficult to understand what I am saying Smile afterall
Back to top Go down
TITW
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
TITW

Ping G15 driver Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ping G15 driver   Ping G15 driver I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 15, 2010 8:58 pm

Hi Solarpop, on your comment:

solarpop wrote:
... Bottom line, prepare to spend extra on an aftermarket shaft if you get the G15. The clubhead is good, but the stock shafts are quite rubbish.

I have the G15 and I'm having a wonderful time swinging it with the stock TFC shaft. It may not suit your swing but I dun quite think it's rubbish, mate.

My 2 cents worth

Back to top Go down
renode
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
renode

Ping G15 driver Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ping G15 driver   Ping G15 driver I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 15, 2010 9:07 pm

yup, agree with TITW. I just got mine from fellow forumer Eiji, with a serrano shaft, and I think it works just fine.

then again, you might have a stricter standards than mine. I just hope my drive dun fly and turn into water hazards, causing me to lose my ball
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

Ping G15 driver Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ping G15 driver   Ping G15 driver I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 15, 2010 9:15 pm

I don own aG15 driver...but have heard many good things about G15 driver....its a very good driver...but I do know that if one can hit, sure can fly.

PS: that is worth 0.000000000011223 cents (I think)
Back to top Go down
joshcct
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

Ping G15 driver Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ping G15 driver   Ping G15 driver I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 15, 2010 10:03 pm

I too don't own a G15 driver, but got the serrano stiff shaft fixed with my honma 811 driver head yesterday.

Tried on the course today and the drive was about 10m further than my stock shaft.

Too bad the muscle men thread came one day late, else would grab any of the S shaft.

Now tempted to get the hybrid shaft...scratching hands again... HELP
Back to top Go down
ringrain_78
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

Ping G15 driver Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ping G15 driver   Ping G15 driver I_icon_minitimeMon Aug 16, 2010 2:16 pm

I'm using a G15 now. The sound of ball onto the sweet spot is power...but I find that the stock shaft is a little to whippy for my swing...
Back to top Go down
simoner
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
simoner

Ping G15 driver Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ping G15 driver   Ping G15 driver I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 23, 2010 10:37 pm

I tried the G15 at Bishan Range about 3 weeks back. It definitely has a good feel but as many have said here, you need to fit it with the Tour shaft. The stock shaft is quite whippy.

I am currently using the Cleveland XLS fitted with an Accra shaft.

Very tempted to change.... : )
Back to top Go down
mountain
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Ping G15 driver Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ping G15 driver   Ping G15 driver I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 23, 2010 10:53 pm

Can advise how much is the Bishan Pro Shop quoting for the driver?
Back to top Go down
TITW
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
TITW

Ping G15 driver Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ping G15 driver   Ping G15 driver I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 23, 2010 11:08 pm

TITW wrote:
Hi Solarpop, on your comment:

solarpop wrote:
... Bottom line, prepare to spend extra on an aftermarket shaft if you get the G15. The clubhead is good, but the stock shafts are quite rubbish.

I have the G15 and I'm having a wonderful time swinging it with the stock TFC shaft. It may not suit your swing but I dun quite think it's rubbish, mate.

My 2 cents worth

After using the stock shaft for quite some time (which was good for me), I'd decided that it was tine to change the shaft (as put forth by Solarpop) and wow! What a difference! Ping G15 + K = cheers

To mountain...

If u can, do wait for the K15 which shd be coming. When? Not too sure....
Back to top Go down
mountain
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Ping G15 driver Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ping G15 driver   Ping G15 driver I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 23, 2010 11:19 pm

Can't afford a new launch driver .. so just wanna find out the current market value to be able to make a better judgment (err.. not be carrot head ) Smile
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

Ping G15 driver Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ping G15 driver   Ping G15 driver I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 23, 2010 11:26 pm

pre-own drivers then...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Ping G15 driver Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ping G15 driver   Ping G15 driver I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Ping G15 driver
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next