Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Start of a Journey,

Go down 
+15
Derek
Begbie
mUAr_cHEe
eiji
joleelyn
Birdman
Tian
Slicer51
Batman
nientsu
PinkPanther
s-killer
Duval_S
daveaha
traix
19 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
traix
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
traix

Start of a Journey, Empty
PostSubject: Start of a Journey,   Start of a Journey, I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 26, 2010 4:12 pm

Hi all,

It is about 4 month since hitting my first golf ball. Really never expected it to be so hard given that i been into sports of all kind since young. (table tennis, badminton, soccer, basket ball...etc.)

Its one kind of hard trying to be good at this sport in a short time. Everybody keep telling me that i takes time but being the sportsman that i am, its get really fustrating. Its like people ranging from small kid to old man all doing better than me.

At some point during the 4 months, i seriously thought of giving up and throw in the towel and say this sport is not for me. But i cant get over the fact that i was beaten by this little white ball. So i endure, practice and be receptive to other people comments to get better.

Im now at the stage where i can say that im begining to enjoy the game more or less because i was able to hit the ball toward the hole more often than hiting the gound, topping, slicing, hooking, moving 1 metre from the original position..etc

Every game now is a learning experience and may be a sport that will follow me for a long time.
Back to top Go down
daveaha
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
daveaha

PostSubject: Re: Start of a Journey,   Start of a Journey, I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 26, 2010 4:18 pm

Absolutely.

After 3 years - I'm still learning as well.

Don't give up on this game !
Back to top Go down
http://www.nufc.sg
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Start of a Journey,   Start of a Journey, I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 26, 2010 4:49 pm

Hi Bro.....I hear you, I feel for you....check this out:

Quote :
http://www.golfrepublic.org/golf-talk-f3/sowhat-do-you-expect-fm-your-golf-game-t6767.htm#123278
Back to top Go down
s-killer
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
s-killer

PostSubject: Re: Start of a Journey,   Start of a Journey, I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 26, 2010 5:04 pm

traix wrote:
Hi all,

It is about 4 month since hitting my first golf ball. Really never expected it to be so hard given that i been into sports of all kind since young. (table tennis, badminton, soccer, basket ball...etc.)

Its one kind of hard trying to be good at this sport in a short time. Everybody keep telling me that i takes time but being the sportsman that i am, its get really fustrating. Its like people ranging from small kid to old man all doing better than me.

At some point during the 4 months, i seriously thought of giving up and throw in the towel and say this sport is not for me. But i cant get over the fact that i was beaten by this little white ball. So i endure, practice and be receptive to other people comments to get better.

Im now at the stage where i can say that im begining to enjoy the game more or less because i was able to hit the ball toward the hole more often than hiting the gound, topping, slicing, hooking, moving 1 metre from the original position..etc

Every game now is a learning experience and may be a sport that will follow me for a long time.

Bro, 4 months and you are able to hit the ball towards the hole instead of ground, top, slice, hook ...

i must say .. thats a fantastic result !!!!

i played 4 years, but still at the ground, top, slice, hook stage ....
Back to top Go down
traix
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
traix

PostSubject: Re: Start of a Journey,   Start of a Journey, I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 26, 2010 5:24 pm

s-killer wrote:
traix wrote:
Hi all,

Bro, 4 months and you are able to hit the ball towards the hole instead of ground, top, slice, hook ...

i must say .. thats a fantastic result !!!!

i played 4 years, but still at the ground, top, slice, hook stage ....

Hi s-killer. I not saying that im not doing all those things just that im doing less now. thus enjoying the game more instead of cursing, swearing and getting fustrated. And thanks for the encouragment.
Back to top Go down
PinkPanther
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
PinkPanther

PostSubject: Re: Start of a Journey,   Start of a Journey, I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 26, 2010 5:26 pm

thank you for sharing! it was inspirational
Back to top Go down
nientsu
Caddy
Caddy
nientsu

PostSubject: Re: Start of a Journey,   Start of a Journey, I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 26, 2010 5:27 pm

Bro

You know wat u need?

U need people who understands ur pain. Pls join us in our events.....

Back to top Go down
Batman
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Batman

PostSubject: Re: Start of a Journey,   Start of a Journey, I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 26, 2010 6:47 pm

Well I'm just 1mth after u bro. I totally understand ur feeling.
As e Chinese saying goes, on stage 1 min, below stage is 10yrs..
Let us enjoy e journey Smile
Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Slicer51

PostSubject: Re: Start of a Journey,   Start of a Journey, I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 26, 2010 10:22 pm

Deleted

Last edited by Slicer51 on Fri Aug 27, 2010 10:16 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Tian
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
Tian

PostSubject: Re: Start of a Journey,   Start of a Journey, I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 12:25 am

Totally understand bro, the thought of giving up golf crossed my mind more than a couple of times.

Preserverance really does pays off.
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: Start of a Journey,   Start of a Journey, I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 12:27 am

Tian wrote:
Totally understand bro, the thought of giving up golf crossed my mind more than a couple of times.

Swinging the way you do after less than a year want to give up golf? Sure or not?

Or just trying to butter up your next victim? ROFL
Back to top Go down
joleelyn
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
joleelyn

PostSubject: Re: Start of a Journey,   Start of a Journey, I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 12:42 am

traix, i'm a good example----- i gave the game up for 4 yrs (for various reasons). Only just picked it back up. ..

Hang in there!!

Aiya. I always tell ppl: Just enjoy the time spent. If not good then how to improve. haha. Anyways, I can assure you--it's gonna be a love-hate relationship with this sport. That is what makes it so much more interesting (in my opinion--and possibly why I was drawn back to it).

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Tian
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
Tian

PostSubject: Re: Start of a Journey,   Start of a Journey, I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 12:44 am

Birdman wrote:
Tian wrote:

Swinging the way you do after less than a year want to give up golf? Sure or not?

Or just trying to butter up your next victim? ROFL

Aiyah, dont pecha my lobang leh.

But really, golf is way tougher than any other sport i've played. Maybe that's why i love it so much.

Heng heng my girlfriend is an avid golfer as well or else i think i would have stayed single for the rest of my life. HAHAHA!
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: Start of a Journey,   Start of a Journey, I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 12:49 am

Hang in there Traix, sounds like you got bit by the bug good already.

This will be a life long love-hate relationship with the game of golf. You will experience improvement, many a plateau, and even find your golf heading south before heading northwards again. Improvements I've found in my experience, also comes in spurts rather than small incremental doses. Such is the beauty and frustration that is this game.

The most comforting thing to know is that now you have support from fellow addicts.
Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
eiji

PostSubject: Re: Start of a Journey,   Start of a Journey, I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 12:49 am

The road is long
With many a winding turn
That leads us to who knows where
Who knows where ...

It's a long, long road
From which there is no return

Back to top Go down
http://www.idealparts.com.sg
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: Start of a Journey,   Start of a Journey, I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 12:53 am

Tian, all anyone has to do is see who you constantly join for golf in GR and people will know your standard already.

Your WTB post of x-forged (heads only ah) also pechar your own lobang. Surely you not buying the clubs for your girlfriend right? ROFL

Topic OFF
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: Start of a Journey,   Start of a Journey, I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 12:54 am

eiji wrote:
The road is long
With many a winding turn
Who knows where ...

It's a long, long road

Hello... Twilight Zone ah?
Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
eiji

PostSubject: Re: Start of a Journey,   Start of a Journey, I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 12:55 am

that song's first part very relevant to Golf's journey
Back to top Go down
http://www.idealparts.com.sg
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: Start of a Journey,   Start of a Journey, I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 12:57 am

eiji wrote:
that song's first part very relevant to Golf's journey

He Ain't Heavy, He's My Bladder? ROFL
Back to top Go down
joleelyn
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
joleelyn

PostSubject: Re: Start of a Journey,   Start of a Journey, I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 12:59 am

Birdman wrote:
eiji wrote:
The road is long
With many a winding turn
Who knows where ...

It's a long, long road

Hello... Twilight Zone ah?

Oei.. people got ink la! haha. what twilight zone. Aiyoooo.
Back to top Go down
Tian
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
Tian

PostSubject: Re: Start of a Journey,   Start of a Journey, I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 1:00 am

Birdman wrote:
Tian, all anyone has to do is see who you constantly join for golf in GR and people will know your standard already.

Your WTB post of x-forged (heads only ah) also pechar your own lobang. Surely you not buying the clubs for your girlfriend right? ROFL

Topic OFF

HAHAHA! Razz

My old one kenna stolen by her liao, thts why need to find a new one! lol!
Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
mUAr_cHEe

PostSubject: Re: Start of a Journey,   Start of a Journey, I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 6:51 am

mine still continuing... Smile

same same~~
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Start of a Journey,   Start of a Journey, I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 8:20 am

Quote :
Birdman wrote:

Topic OFF

Girlfren....someone who plays golf? eh...intro leh!!!

If not mistaken, there is a criteria to play with this young man. I am trying to make it to the 1st cut line
Back to top Go down
Begbie
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Start of a Journey,   Start of a Journey, I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 8:39 am

Traix,

Sounds like your journey is somewhat close to mine...started exactly in 02 April 2010 (1st lesson) ......

I used to do a lot of sports too... rugby,football, tennis , lure fishing (if thats considered even a sport) and these sports come with bigger balls (size wise)

To get ourselves beaten by this small white (sometimes green,pink or purple) ball, does get a bit frustrating, but I'm sure u remembered the first time you hit the 7 iron and the ball flew a nice trajectory and favourable distance with a "swing" and not a hit...

Armed with the memory of that "swing", you will now try to emulate this into your every shot via mental and muscle memory , BUT, the golf gods can be cruel...some days you totally lose that "swing" and u end up with a "hit" with a loud thud!!!!.. fat shots, tops etc....

So congrats to you and of course beginners like us needs to keep motivating each other to move on and forward from here.... never give up... but of course, like some of the bros here mentioned, we have to train "smartly"...

The first "smart" thing I did after 1 mth plus of stagnation with my swing.. I got myself another pro to twitch my swing... So far its been helping... got 8 lessons to go..Smile

So since we're both beginners, lets go for a game sometime, Smile hah...

Enjoy bro!
Back to top Go down
traix
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
traix

PostSubject: Re: Start of a Journey,   Start of a Journey, I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 27, 2010 9:14 am

Thanks for all the comments and encouragement. Glad that im not alone in this journey. Before picking up golf all i know is watching tv and how easy they do it and tell myself how hard can it be... hahahaa, how wrong i was.

Hope to be good enough to join some bros/gals here for games in the future.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Start of a Journey,   Start of a Journey, I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Start of a Journey,
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next