Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

A few things about the Golfers Handicap.

Go down 
+12
aural
and68low
slinger
Birdman
Derek
Duval_S
Elysium
asahi
golf_snowman
jimmychoo
PinkPanther
punkrockpga
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
punkrockpga
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals

A few things about the Golfers Handicap. Empty
PostSubject: A few things about the Golfers Handicap.   A few things about the Golfers Handicap. I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 08, 2010 12:11 pm

I find that a lot of my students have misconseptions about what the handicap is and don't truly understand the handicap system.

It's true that once you have a handicap you have more access to the golf courses here in Singapore, however the system is so much more than that. The handicap system is what sets golf apart from all the other sports because it creates a fair competition between all players, regardless of ability. A novice golfer can compete with an expert in a fair and square match because of the handicap system. You could beat Tiger Woods (skip the Tiger remarks please) , fair and square because of the handicap system.

The handicap system is also the most acurate way to evaluate and monitor the progress of your own golfing ability.

Here are a few things from the USGA that you may or may not already know about your handicap:

-The best 10 out of your last 20 games are used to calculate your current handicap index.

-You have played to your handicap when you shoot a target score that equals the course rating + your course handicap. It is NOT how your net score relates to par.

For example, a player with a Handicap Index of 16.3 decides to play a course with a Course Rating of 68.9 and a Slope Rating of 129. That player converts the 16.3 to a Course Handicap of 19 (using Course Handicap Tables or "Conversion Charts"), then adds 19 to 68.9, for a total of 88 (rounded). If the player shoots 88, that player has played to his or her Handicap.

- USGA statistics say that realistically you should shoot your handicap 1 out of every 4 or 5 rounds, and shoot below your handicap far less often than that.

My experience has shown me that there are 3 kinds of golfers when it comes to using the Handicap system.

Golfer #1 simply keeps an honest score and submits every single card, good or bad, for the purposes of maintaining a true handicap.

Golfer #2 we call the "Sandbagger" who does not like to submit the scores that are too low in fear of having a handicap that is too low. Why would you not want a low handicap? Well these "Sandbaggers" are basically cheating so that they have a better chance of winning what ever net score competition they might be playing.
These golfers are all about winning winning winning. The "sandbagger" insults everything about the true integerity of golf.

Golfer #3 cares more about their own ego than they do about winning. This golfer tends to only submit the low scores and leave the hight scores out, so that handicap says that they are a better golfer than they actually are. Over the years I have known many golfers who claimed to be a 2 handicap when they were more like an 8 or a 9, or caim to be a 12 handicap when they were more like a 18 or 19. This is all about ego. It is great to play a little money game against these guys (and i am sorry to say but I have rarely met a lady golfer who is so ego driven) because they have no chance at a good net score. It is always fun to teach these golfers a little lesson about the importance of keeping an honest handicap.

Do you know any of these people?
Are you one of them?

Every golfer plays the game for different reasons. Some people don't care about the handicap system or even care about weather they are good or bad. They play simply because it is fun. I love that mentality.

For those who have fallen in love with the game, I encourage you to play for the right reasons and stay true to the spirit of the game. Honesty, integrity, sportsmanship.

Enjoy your round!

Back to top Go down
http://www.bradfordprogolf.com
PinkPanther
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
PinkPanther

PostSubject: Re: A few things about the Golfers Handicap.   A few things about the Golfers Handicap. I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 08, 2010 12:20 pm

OH!!!! Number 3! I know who!

*BTW, can you explain on how we can do number 2?
I have been trying for 2 years and its almost impossible for me!
Back to top Go down
jimmychoo
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jimmychoo

PostSubject: Re: A few things about the Golfers Handicap.   A few things about the Golfers Handicap. I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 08, 2010 2:01 pm

punkrockpga wrote:
For example, a player with a Handicap Index of 16.3 decides to play a course with a Course Rating of 68.9 and a Slope Rating of 129. That player converts the 16.3 to a Course Handicap of 19 (using Course Handicap Tables or "Conversion Charts"), then adds 19 to 68.9, for a total of 88 (rounded). If the player shoots 88, that player has played to his or her Handicap.

In this case, does it mean the one with the following handicap is playing to his handicap when he's play 85 at his home course? Can I know what's the 13 next to the blue and white box?

A few things about the Golfers Handicap. HCP

Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
golf_snowman

PostSubject: Re: A few things about the Golfers Handicap.   A few things about the Golfers Handicap. I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 08, 2010 2:46 pm

PinkPanther wrote:
OH!!!! Number 3! I know who!

*BTW, can you explain on how we can do number 2?
I have been trying for 2 years and its almost impossible for me!

haha..."sandbagger" wannabe ?....keke
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: A few things about the Golfers Handicap.   A few things about the Golfers Handicap. I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 08, 2010 3:12 pm

13 is the handicap off the white/ blue tees after factoring SR/CR of course.
Right?
Back to top Go down
jimmychoo
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jimmychoo

PostSubject: Re: A few things about the Golfers Handicap.   A few things about the Golfers Handicap. I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 08, 2010 6:00 pm

Asahi, you mean it's the handicap off the white/blue tee of the home course?
What about other course? It's so complicated scratch
I think it's still best to forget about the handicap card and go for negotiation better cheers
Back to top Go down
Elysium
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: A few things about the Golfers Handicap.   A few things about the Golfers Handicap. I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 08, 2010 6:10 pm

So for the purpose of the HCP test, does I have to shoot an equivalent of not more than HCP 24 for every of the scorecards or I just have to get through the courteousy round without shooting more than 14 over?
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: A few things about the Golfers Handicap.   A few things about the Golfers Handicap. I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 08, 2010 6:43 pm

Quote :
Elysium wrote:
So for the purpose of the HCP test, does I have to shoot an equivalent of not more than HCP 24 for every of the scorecards or I just have to get through the courteousy round without shooting more than 14 over?

In short the answer = No. If not wrong, for guys, the default max is 24
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: A few things about the Golfers Handicap.   A few things about the Golfers Handicap. I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 08, 2010 6:49 pm

Duval_S wrote:
Quote :
Elysium wrote:

In short the answer = No. If not wrong, for guys, the default max is 24

hmmm ... I actually think it can be higher than that nowadays.
Back to top Go down
Elysium
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: A few things about the Golfers Handicap.   A few things about the Golfers Handicap. I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 08, 2010 6:51 pm

So all scorecards I must be able to shoot less or equal to hcp 24?

That's gonna be added stress for my first 18 hole game on sat.
Back to top Go down
punkrockpga
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals

PostSubject: Re: A few things about the Golfers Handicap.   A few things about the Golfers Handicap. I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 08, 2010 7:40 pm

In this case, does it mean the one with the following handicap is playing to his handicap when he's play 85 at his home course? Can I know what's the 13 next to the blue and white box?

A few things about the Golfers Handicap. HCP

[/quote]

In this case the player's handicap index is 11.4 and his course handicap is 13.
When the course handicap (13) is added to the course rating (74.1), the target score is 87 (rounded). This means that the golfer has played to his handicap when he shoots 87.
Notice that there are 20 scores posted, but only the lowest 10 scores are actually used to calculate the handicap.

A golfer will have a lower handicap when playing a very easy golf course and a higher handicap when playing a very difficult golf course. The course rating and the slope rating are basically a measurement of the difficulty of that particular golf course. The formulas and all the factors that go into the difficulty rating and the handicap calculation are not something that you need to know.

All you need to know is where to find the Handicap Chart (every single golf course will have one) that will tell you that if your handicap index is this, then your course handicap is that. You then use the course handicap to determine your net score(s). Find the chart next time you play and it will all make more sense. If you can't find it, just ask someone at the golfers desk and they will tell you where it is.

Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: A few things about the Golfers Handicap.   A few things about the Golfers Handicap. I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 08, 2010 8:21 pm

What effect would it have on the handicap for not submitting the scorecards in which a golfer has scored low rounds.

Also, what effect would it have on the handicap for not submitting the scorecards in which a golfer has scored high rounds.

Reason being, a golfer has said "I don't submit the low scores and the high scores because it is not reflective of my handicap."

Your response please also to a statement like that would really benefit those who have such thoughts and are difficult to convince.

Cheers!
Back to top Go down
punkrockpga
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals

PostSubject: Re: A few things about the Golfers Handicap.   A few things about the Golfers Handicap. I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 08, 2010 8:49 pm

Birdman wrote:
What effect would it have on the handicap for not submitting the scorecards in which a golfer has scored low rounds.

Also, what effect would it have on the handicap for not submitting the scorecards in which a golfer has scored high rounds.

Reason being, a golfer has said "I don't submit the low scores and the high scores because it is not reflective of my handicap."

Your response please also to a statement like that would really benefit those who have such thoughts and are difficult to convince.

Cheers!

The golfer who does not submit the low scores, aka "sandbagger" will have a handicap that higher than it should be, and will have an unfair advantage in competition. I call this cheating.

The golfer who does not submit the high scores will likely have a handicap that is lower than should be and will likely have a difficult time in competition because they are simply not as good as their handicap says they are.

The system knows that the highest scores are not a true reflection of the golfers ability which is why it only calculates using the best 10 out of your last 20 scores. The ten highest scores don't count.

The best round of your life may have happened 20 games ago and is still counting towards your handicap therefore keeping your handicap index on the low side. Once you play your next game, that best round ever now becomes game #21 and no longer counts towards your handicap. This means that your handicap index will likely go up because that super low round is gone. A different score will then enter the best 10 list and your index will reflect accordingly.

Bottom line is that a golfer can only have a true handicap if every single score is counted, good or bad.

Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: A few things about the Golfers Handicap.   A few things about the Golfers Handicap. I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 08, 2010 10:24 pm

Quote :
Elysium wrote:

hey bro, my view....handicapp is an indication of ones ability of what one should be playing. I cant say for others, but most times, I struggle to play and match my HC....
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

PostSubject: Re: A few things about the Golfers Handicap.   A few things about the Golfers Handicap. I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 08, 2010 10:25 pm

Duval_S wrote:
Quote :
Elysium wrote:

hey bro, my view....handicapp is an indication of ones ability of what one should be playing. I cant say for others, but most times, I struggle to play and match my HC....

hahaha, u think i believe.....
Back to top Go down
Elysium
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: A few things about the Golfers Handicap.   A few things about the Golfers Handicap. I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 08, 2010 10:27 pm

Duval_S wrote:
Quote :
Elysium wrote:

my main purpose for the hcp is to get to play on weekends in Singapore. If I can get a low handicap so be it Smile
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: A few things about the Golfers Handicap.   A few things about the Golfers Handicap. I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 08, 2010 10:30 pm

Quote :
Birdman wrote:

Cheers!

My view, all HC should be taken into account and there should be no leeway for golfers to decide for themselves what should be in and out. My only gripe is the hassle of submitting scorecards....for me, I have to mail them out. Having online will be a great way to go
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: A few things about the Golfers Handicap.   A few things about the Golfers Handicap. I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 08, 2010 10:32 pm

Quote :
slinger wrote:
Duval_S wrote:
Quote :
Elysium wrote:

hahaha, u think i believe.....

Wah lau !!!! Bro ...you see me too up lah. The other day at den, after hearing your golf experiences, I think I am not worthy to be playing in your presence liao
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: A few things about the Golfers Handicap.   A few things about the Golfers Handicap. I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 08, 2010 11:14 pm

punkrockpga wrote:

The golfer who does not submit the low scores, aka "sandbagger" will have a handicap that higher than it should be, and will have an unfair advantage in competition. I call this cheating.

The golfer who does not submit the high scores will likely have a handicap that is lower than should be and will likely have a difficult time in competition because they are simply not as good as their handicap says they are.

Punkrockpga, wouldn't that then give credence to what the golfer I mentioned earlier says, that not submitting the lower scores and higher scores would cancel each other out to give a more realistic reflection of their so called official handicap?

What would your advice be to someone who does not submit the two extreme end of their scores?

I'm hoping that this someone is reading what you as a qualified PGA professional has to to say since all my hot air fell on deaf ears. Sad
Back to top Go down
and68low
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
and68low

PostSubject: Re: A few things about the Golfers Handicap.   A few things about the Golfers Handicap. I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 09, 2010 12:32 am

Birdman wrote:
punkrockpga wrote:

Punkrockpga, wouldn't that then give credence to what the golfer I mentioned earlier says, that not submitting the lower scores and higher scores would cancel each other out to give a more realistic reflection of their so called official handicap?

What would your advice be to someone who does not submit the two extreme end of their scores?

I'm hoping that this someone is reading what you as a qualified PGA professional has to to say since all my hot air fell on deaf ears. Sad

Well if you do not submit your score card after a round, the system should and will detect and automatically submit a 2 under for that day of play! All clubs in singapore affiliated to the SGA do have this system in place!(SICC practices that, two cards I forgot to submit got me to a +1 hcp once before and its a real embarassment for me! now i faithfully submit for fear of embarassment)

The other issue i observe which is the card submitted for that day need not be counter signed by another golfer, which means Peers pressure(checking and ensuring) will be harder to enforce! but than again all golfers should have high integrity but ... but... there are still a few rotten guys around that make the system a farce!
Back to top Go down
jimmychoo
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jimmychoo

PostSubject: Re: A few things about the Golfers Handicap.   A few things about the Golfers Handicap. I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 09, 2010 12:37 am

punkrockpga, thanks for your explaination. Now I got it Very Happy
Back to top Go down
aural
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
aural

PostSubject: Re: A few things about the Golfers Handicap.   A few things about the Golfers Handicap. I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 09, 2010 12:42 am

Btw. For exec courses, even if you submit scores would they even count?
Back to top Go down
Elysium
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: A few things about the Golfers Handicap.   A few things about the Golfers Handicap. I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 09, 2010 1:00 am

aural wrote:

To my knowledge, only courses that have slope rating can be used for HCP consideration. I believe the executive courses in Singapore do not have any slope ratings..
Back to top Go down
aural
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
aural

PostSubject: Re: A few things about the Golfers Handicap.   A few things about the Golfers Handicap. I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 09, 2010 1:09 am

Elysium wrote:
aural wrote:

To my knowledge, only courses that have slope rating can be used for HCP consideration. I believe the executive courses in Singapore do not have any slope ratings..

Suspected so. Thanks for clarifying.
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: A few things about the Golfers Handicap.   A few things about the Golfers Handicap. I_icon_minitimeFri Jul 09, 2010 1:26 am

and68low wrote:

Well if you do not submit your score card after a round, the system should and will detect and automatically submit a 2 under for that day of play! All clubs in singapore affiliated to the SGA do have this system in place!(SICC practices that, two cards I forgot to submit got me to a +1 hcp once before and its a real embarassment for me! now i faithfully submit for fear of embarassment)

The other issue i observe which is the card submitted for that day need not be counter signed by another golfer, which means Peers pressure(checking and ensuring) will be harder to enforce! but than again all golfers should have high integrity but ... but... there are still a few rotten guys around that make the system a farce!

Andrew,
That system works only if you do not submit a card at your home club, if I'm not mistaken. Problem is, lots of golfers play all over and belong to organisations like SGS and My Golf Kaki. No way to detect non-submission of cards then right?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A few things about the Golfers Handicap.   A few things about the Golfers Handicap. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A few things about the Golfers Handicap.
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next