Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Things to consider when buying a better golf set

Go down 
+13
Duval_S
Newtogolf
DGman
pushslice
geng86
asahi
Jazbe
Lamts18
Ssquirrel
drizz0
duffader
Slicer51
Antgolfer
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Antgolfer
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Things to consider when buying a better golf set Empty
PostSubject: Things to consider when buying a better golf set   Things to consider when buying a better golf set I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 20, 2011 12:12 am

Hi all,
Newbie here. Just started golf last year in sept and immediately bought a new beginner set (powerbilt) during the issetan golf sale.

Would like to ask roughly how long later do you all buy a better set to improve play? Saw a few sales going on and quite gian to experience better branded golf equipment. When is the right time to buy & Anything to look out for?

Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Slicer51

PostSubject: Re: Things to consider when buying a better golf set   Things to consider when buying a better golf set I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 20, 2011 1:52 am

when you can start hitting the ball straighter .. less slice or hook .. less top or flat on the course not on the driving mat .. just my 2 cents
Back to top Go down
Antgolfer
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Things to consider when buying a better golf set   Things to consider when buying a better golf set I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 20, 2011 1:59 am

Am looking at TM burner 2.0 series for irons and burner super fast for driver .... Non tp model. Will this last me long?
Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
duffader

PostSubject: Re: Things to consider when buying a better golf set   Things to consider when buying a better golf set I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 20, 2011 5:47 am

Long or short period, depends on your backside, whether itchy or not? Hehe.... No fix time, so all up to u. The way manufacturers are coming put with new irons and drivers, very hard to resist.
Back to top Go down
Antgolfer
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Things to consider when buying a better golf set   Things to consider when buying a better golf set I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 20, 2011 7:55 am

Agree with you, duffader. is the burner series for intermediate player? Currently golf direct having sale which cost ard 999 for the iron burner series, can buy? Hoping to at least buy a set which is way better than my beginner set and last me for another 2 years.
Back to top Go down
drizz0
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Things to consider when buying a better golf set   Things to consider when buying a better golf set I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 20, 2011 8:47 am

like duffader said its all dependent on you... when u get the itch its up to you to scratch it or not... the burners are a good set... try them out first before you buy... period wise... they may last you 6 monthes or 6 years, dependent on that itch we talked abt and state of your golf game...
Back to top Go down
Ssquirrel
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Ssquirrel

PostSubject: Re: Things to consider when buying a better golf set   Things to consider when buying a better golf set I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 20, 2011 8:55 am

Get a set that looks pleasing to your eyes. No point getting a set just because you friends or some web review says it's good.
If it doesn't appeal to your eyes, the itch will surface very soon, and you'll be thinking of buying new clubs very soon again.. albino
Back to top Go down
Lamts18
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Lamts18

PostSubject: Re: Things to consider when buying a better golf set   Things to consider when buying a better golf set I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 20, 2011 9:32 am

duffader wrote:
Long or short period, depends on your backside, whether itchy or not? Hehe.... No fix time, so all up to u. The way manufacturers are coming put with new irons and drivers, very hard to resist.

when i look at your ermm ... hard for me to resist too ... :-)
I agree with Ssquirrel , looks pleasing to you, feels good with you, shiok to use then confirm liao ...
Back to top Go down
Antgolfer
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Things to consider when buying a better golf set   Things to consider when buying a better golf set I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 20, 2011 10:49 am

Thank you all for your advices. Now, I need to know myself to see the frequency of my itchiness. Haha.

Jia lat. Now itchy. Haha.
Back to top Go down
Antgolfer
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Things to consider when buying a better golf set   Things to consider when buying a better golf set I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 20, 2011 10:53 am

Anyway, where is a good place to try out Taylor made product? Maybe my itchiness will ease knowing my skill not there yet.
Back to top Go down
Jazbe
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Things to consider   Things to consider when buying a better golf set I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 20, 2011 12:32 pm

Buddy, just buy and play...cos you'll play better with confidence and having the things that you like. Just like one of my buddy who bought a set of Titleist iron yesterday. He was happy to see the diff! Go for it if money is not an issue....
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: Things to consider when buying a better golf set   Things to consider when buying a better golf set I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 20, 2011 12:35 pm

Antgolfer wrote:
Anyway, where is a good place to try out Taylor made product? Maybe my itchiness will ease knowing my skill not there yet.

Bro, pop by TM shop at Cathay. Else wait for next demo day for TM clubs (call them to find out)........they just had one at Laguna last Wed.

Tried the MB, CB and MC irons.

Like the MC best but not loving it.

Saw the S3 at Keppel BFG.....sweet! Will hop down to try soon.

Back to top Go down
geng86
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Things to consider when buying a better golf set   Things to consider when buying a better golf set I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 20, 2011 12:35 pm

Antgolfer wrote:

THE ANSWER IS: YOU. ie your feel of the set. Smile

Last edited by geng86 on Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: Things to consider when buying a better golf set   Things to consider when buying a better golf set I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 20, 2011 12:36 pm

check out MBGC website. They have free demo days
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: Things to consider when buying a better golf set   Things to consider when buying a better golf set I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 20, 2011 12:46 pm

My recommendations are:

1. ask yourself if you like the game? if yes proceed to Q2.

2. how much time are you committing to the game right now. is this going to change (more time or less time)? if more time, proceed to Q3

3. what is your aspiration for your currently level of the game (eg. if you have a handicap of 28, where do you want to head)? if you are seeking improvement, proceed to Q4.

4. what are you doing to your game in the instructions and practising "department". If you have a plan proceed to Q5.

5. is your commitment to the above 3 (Q2, 3 and 4) bearing improvement. your coach or your instinct should tell you whether you need new clubs.

however if you think a new set of clubs will fulfil the promise of improvement without your dedicated inputs, time and commitment to your game, think again cos the next thing we will find is your thread selling your 3 month old irons in GR.

DGman
Back to top Go down
http://www.bigfishes.com
Newtogolf
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Things to consider when buying a better golf set   Things to consider when buying a better golf set I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 20, 2011 2:49 pm

Antgolfer wrote:
Hi all,
Newbie here. Just started golf last year in sept and immediately bought a new beginner set (powerbilt) during the issetan golf sale.

Would like to ask roughly how long later do you all buy a better set to improve play? Saw a few sales going on and quite gian to experience better branded golf equipment. When is the right time to buy & Anything to look out for?

I guess I'm in the same dilemma as you except I don't have a set of Irons to even call my own!

Even though I've been doing a lot of browsing, feeling, testing and practise at the range (I make it a point, at least once a week), I just feel that there's always "a little bit more" I can eke out of my drives with old loaned Irons and woods.

I don't think one should set a "time frame" to "buy a better set to improve play". I'm just working out to improve consistency in swing to achieve straight shots and reduce all my topped shots now. As my instructor always tell me:

"Check your setup and posture"

These words never fail me. Rather I've been failing the clubs (even though they are custom fit to a guy that's a half a head head shorter than me).
Back to top Go down
Antgolfer
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Things to consider when buying a better golf set   Things to consider when buying a better golf set I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 20, 2011 6:24 pm

Thanks to golf brothers out there who are willing to reply to this thread to help me save money and know myself better. Especially to DGMan, who painstakingly came up with a set of questions to help me know my commitment to golf. Really thank you.

After playing golf for this short period of time, I realize that the game is challenging, at the same time slow enough for me to spend a little bit of time to interact with my golf friends. The long game, short game and how to manage the golf course + how to manage my own swing. Many areas for me to reflect and improve my game, that's the satisfaction. Not forgetting the sceneries you get to see when you are out on the golf course.

I believe I don't have all the time to commit to golf but I think I'm ready to play the game for a long time. Currently, I am spending at least once a week in 9 hole game and 2 range practices per week.

I bought my first beginner golf set to try the game becos I am spending more time hitting the grass mat than the ball. A good golf set is out of my mind, cos I am worried of damaging the clubs. Now with more consistent swing, I thought I want to get a better set to achieve better result and as some brothers said, gain more confidence and excitement whenever I hit the ball.

Just like buying sound system, different companies have different focus on the quality of sounds and I'm still exploring.....

Thanks once again.
Very Happy Very Happy

Last edited by Antgolfer on Sun Mar 20, 2011 6:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Antgolfer
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Things to consider when buying a better golf set   Things to consider when buying a better golf set I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 20, 2011 6:29 pm

Actually, the more you explore into the technology of making golf clubs, the more poisonous and expensive it will become. So I dun mind getting a relatively good set and slowly upgrade the drivers and hybrids where long game is concerned. However, I think irons should be quite standard right?
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Things to consider when buying a better golf set   Things to consider when buying a better golf set I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 20, 2011 7:16 pm

Quote :
Antgolfer wrote:
I believe I don't have all the time to commit to golf but I think I'm ready to play the game for a long time. Currently, I am spending at least once a week in 9 hole game and 2 range practices per week.

I
Thanks once again.
Very Happy Very Happy

hey Bro Ant Golfer.......looking at your 'spend'...you are way more serious than me in golf.

So here is my 2cents........rather than asking, considering what to consider for better golf set, I will recommend that you fix (to your best ability) what you want golf to be to you and what level do you see yourself to be playing.........that will then has a big weightage in terms of what better set to get.

And by this, it might not be a leapfrog ...but incremental....
Back to top Go down
and68low
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
and68low

PostSubject: Re: Things to consider when buying a better golf set   Things to consider when buying a better golf set I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 20, 2011 7:26 pm

Just in case you are buy Titleist FW or hybrid ... they dont come with a Wrench !
Back to top Go down
Antgolfer
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Things to consider when buying a better golf set   Things to consider when buying a better golf set I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 20, 2011 9:54 pm

Hi Duval_S,

Thanks for the advise. Yup, will go slowly.... Realize there is a limit to how many balls I can hit per day due to fatigue level for the day. Playing with a group of close colleagues, who planned to get handicap index ASAP. So there's peer pressure, but enjoying at the same time.

Anyway, may stick to my powerbilt set for a while more until I can hit well for my driver, hybrid, iron 7, PW and SW. The buying part is mainly due to sale, stock up when the price is right. Sometimes, may even try out the better clubs (if I buy) to feel the difference. Actually, it's all psychological effect.
Back to top Go down
Antgolfer
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Things to consider when buying a better golf set   Things to consider when buying a better golf set I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 20, 2011 9:56 pm

Hi and68low,

What's the wrench for? You see, I'm still an amateur with only a PC Cert. Haha Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Antgolfer
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Things to consider when buying a better golf set   Things to consider when buying a better golf set I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 20, 2011 10:19 pm

Hi all, was looking at my powerbilt set, and the flex classification is M. Is there such classification? Shocked

Xiao Liao. Backside itchy! Haha
Back to top Go down
Antgolfer
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Things to consider when buying a better golf set   Things to consider when buying a better golf set I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 21, 2011 10:43 am

Hi all,
Golf republic forum really interesting and informative. Really learn alot. Spent the whole weekend reading the various topics. Really feel I am in the right place to explore my passion for golf.

I don't think I should custom fit now (becos of my inconsistent swing - still trying to achieve 5 out of 10 type of statistics) but I need to know if practicing with my current powerbilt set can make me advance until wat stage as mentioned by DGMan in his topic on "what is club fitting" that a beginner who start with the wrong set may hamper progression.

Need more confidence in my clubs leh..... And also need more practices to perfect my swing.

Last edited by Antgolfer on Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Ssquirrel
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Ssquirrel

PostSubject: Re: Things to consider when buying a better golf set   Things to consider when buying a better golf set I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 21, 2011 10:51 am

Antgolfer wrote:
Hi all, was looking at my powerbilt set, and the flex classification is M. Is there such classification? Shocked

Xiao Liao. Backside itchy! Haha
M=Manly/Macho clubs... albino

Maybe go SSN gathering and try out other members clubs and let other members try and see if your clubs are hampering your progress?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Things to consider when buying a better golf set   Things to consider when buying a better golf set I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next