Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Flex of driver vs irons or fairway woods

Go down 
+7
TigaWood
maxismm
solarpop
Derek
Batman
eiji
aural
11 posters
AuthorMessage
aural
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
aural

Flex of driver vs irons or fairway woods Empty
PostSubject: Flex of driver vs irons or fairway woods   Flex of driver vs irons or fairway woods I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 09, 2010 10:42 am

Yesterday a pro pointed out that the driver I was using might be too flex for me . One question here.

As a newbie I'm not sure is it just me or what the pro said. I use R-flex for irons and fairway woods. For drivers the same "type" of flex could be too flex due to the amplification of length?
Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
eiji

PostSubject: Re: Flex of driver vs irons or fairway woods   Flex of driver vs irons or fairway woods I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 09, 2010 10:53 am

see a clubfitter with a proper launch monitor and you can make an informed choice whether its for your putter, wedges, irons, FW or driver.
Back to top Go down
http://www.idealparts.com.sg
aural
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
aural

PostSubject: Re: Flex of driver vs irons or fairway woods   Flex of driver vs irons or fairway woods I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 09, 2010 11:08 am

eiji wrote:
see a clubfitter with a proper launch monitor and you can make an informed choice whether its for your putter, wedges, irons, FW or driver.

hmm. Ok, will go find some info on that and go.
Thanks Smile
Back to top Go down
Batman
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Batman

PostSubject: Re: Flex of driver vs irons or fairway woods   Flex of driver vs irons or fairway woods I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 09, 2010 12:06 pm

I'm a newbie too. So just sharing my experience here.
Cos in my case, when I hit my 3 woods (which have a regular flex), when I swing too hard, I can actually feel tat my club flex a little bit n my ball go hay wire. But when I slow down a bit, its much better.
Back to top Go down
aural
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
aural

PostSubject: Re: Flex of driver vs irons or fairway woods   Flex of driver vs irons or fairway woods I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 09, 2010 12:13 pm

Batman wrote:
Cos in my case, when I hit my 3 woods (which have a regular flex), when I swing too hard, I can actually feel tat my club flex a little bit n my ball go hay wire. But when I slow down a bit, its much better.

I believe when i use the driver, i also used too much strength. All my woods are fine, rescues and irons are all working alright for me. Only the driver is the one, but like i said i'm a newbie, might be due to my driver strokes.
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Flex of driver vs irons or fairway woods   Flex of driver vs irons or fairway woods I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 09, 2010 6:50 pm

Try out some of the GR members drivers at different flex during SSN, if they all don't work, then it could be the Indian not the arrow ....
Back to top Go down
solarpop
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
solarpop

PostSubject: Re: Flex of driver vs irons or fairway woods   Flex of driver vs irons or fairway woods I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 10, 2010 12:30 am

It depends on the driver you're using. Japanese brands usually play softer than american ones for the same flex rating.

The quality of the oem shaft, regardless of japanese or american brand, also plays a part. Most manufacturers use watered down "made for" versions of the big name shafts just for branding, but do not perform anywhere close to the original, and will also usually play softer.

As far as i know, the only driver currently on the market using the full aftermarket versions as their oem shaft is the Nike VR with project x.
Back to top Go down
maxismm
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Flex of driver vs irons or fairway woods   Flex of driver vs irons or fairway woods I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 10, 2010 2:35 am

Batman wrote:

i'm just sharing too,no offence k...wat do u mean "swing too hard"? for wat i know swing only got "fast" n "slow",(swing speed!!) if u felt it is "hard",tat means u r "hitting" the ball,not swing...!
Back to top Go down
TigaWood
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TigaWood

PostSubject: Re: Flex of driver vs irons or fairway woods   Flex of driver vs irons or fairway woods I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 10, 2010 8:32 am

Derek wrote:
Try out some of the GR members drivers at different flex during SSN, if they all don't work, then it could be the Indian not the arrow ....

I like this wisdom ROFL
Back to top Go down
http://www.HuatLeow.com
jimmychoo
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jimmychoo

PostSubject: Re: Flex of driver vs irons or fairway woods   Flex of driver vs irons or fairway woods I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 10, 2010 9:21 am

Aiya, don't believe in those flex printed on the shaft lah....especially those stock shaft.
There is no standard in the industry to spell out how much flex is a "R","S" or "L". So one brand "S" maybe another brand "R" drunken
So it's actually a guessing game when you refer to the flex printed on the shaft unless you visit a club fitter. They have this so call frequency don't know what machine to check on the shaft CPM - Circle Per Minute or something, don't ask me why per minute and not per second ok? Laughing
Back to top Go down
fredc
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
fredc

PostSubject: Re: Flex of driver vs irons or fairway woods   Flex of driver vs irons or fairway woods I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 10, 2010 9:47 am

Im new to golf as well but have done lots of reading on the internet...to try and save money....you know buy clubs and find that they don t fit and have to sell them!!!
I use a R-flex with my irons and wood but switched to a S flex for my driver. From what i have read, if the flex is too soft, the ball tends to draw or fade consistently but you have the height and distance. If it is too stiff, its difficult to launch the ball and you loss distance. I corrected my fades with a stiffer shaft for my driver.
I guess you need to know that you are striking the ball well with the correct tempo and if there is a consistent fade or draw then the shaft maybe wrong. However becareful that the draws are not because of too much pull in your swing.
Back to top Go down
Lukewa
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Flex of driver vs irons or fairway woods   Flex of driver vs irons or fairway woods I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 17, 2010 12:58 pm

Assuming that your swing is ok.

The followings need to be noted for your shaft.

1) Weight
2) Flex
3) Torque
4) Kick Point

Example,

A stiff flex but with a weight of around 45grams and a Regular flex with a weight of around 55grams have almost the same effects on your shot. So not only the flex but all the other 3 points plays a part.

IMO,
Swing Speed is also important to fit up a player for shaft as generally the fastest your swing the heavier, stiffer shaft should be suitable for that players. Average Asian golfers should have a swing speed of 80 to 90 mph and should be getting around 180 to 210 m for their drivers, Normally they would be using a regular flex with 60 grams shaft, stiff regular flex with 58 grams shaft or a stiff flex with 56grams shaft. There are also three type of specs for the general market such as Asian,American and Custom Shaft. An Asian Stiff is generally an American Regular. So this you have to take note too.

A Golf simulator is also good to gauge your flight path as a club fitter also needs to know these attribute to better fit you up.

I'm not a club fitter but someone that was interested in this so at the end of the day. Look for a club fitter to help you out.
Back to top Go down
aural
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
aural

PostSubject: Re: Flex of driver vs irons or fairway woods   Flex of driver vs irons or fairway woods I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 17, 2010 1:08 pm

Good info from all. Just an update, my coach ended up suggesting me to get an Asian Stiff or US regular for my driver though my irons are asia regular. I guess it is also due to my built.
Back to top Go down
wangph
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
wangph

Location : Golf Course/Driving Range/Chipping Green/Putting mat...

PostSubject: Re: Flex of driver vs irons or fairway woods   Flex of driver vs irons or fairway woods I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 23, 2010 2:10 pm

all those discussion are based on assumption that your swing has no issues. I'm still newbie. working on my swing. even though i'm using draw driver, R flex and some guys also suggest me to change to S, i don't think that's the key point stopping me improving. so, don't worry too much on the weapons before getting into pro.
Back to top Go down
aural
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
aural

PostSubject: Re: Flex of driver vs irons or fairway woods   Flex of driver vs irons or fairway woods I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 23, 2010 2:31 pm

wangph wrote:
all those discussion are based on assumption that your swing has no issues. I'm still newbie. working on my swing. even though i'm using draw driver, R flex and some guys also suggest me to change to S, i don't think that's the key point stopping me improving. so, don't worry too much on the weapons before getting into pro.

yupz that's what I want to avoid. So get something not too way off and correct my strokes from there. Rather than doubting the arrows subsequently.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Flex of driver vs irons or fairway woods   Flex of driver vs irons or fairway woods I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Flex of driver vs irons or fairway woods
Page 1 of 1