Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How do you determine or know what to buy?

Go down 
+7
Gray
weesern
Lamts18
tronos
samT
S70B
Khorkar
11 posters
AuthorMessage
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Khorkar

How do you determine or know what to buy? Empty
PostSubject: How do you determine or know what to buy?   How do you determine or know what to buy? I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 20, 2009 2:17 pm

Just curious and want to kick off a discussion amongst golfer.

There are many many good equipment makers out in the market, to quote a few famous ones - Nike, Taylormade, Callaway, Titleist, Mizuno, Cleveland, and there are some which isn't as famous as the rest like Adams, Kasco, Nakashima, Miura, Ikasu

Like the title suggest, how do you select what you want to buy? Is it by word of mouth, trying on your own or determined by pricing? What ticks to you buy a specific product - marketing may be?
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: How do you determine or know what to buy?   How do you determine or know what to buy? I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 20, 2009 2:20 pm

Be like mr Lamts18....buy everything. Laughing

I guess everyone will buy equipment for the following reasons:

- Price
- Player endorsements
- Brand Recognition
- Looks
- Playability
- Sometimes resale value.

Its how you rank them that matters to the individual.
Back to top Go down
samT
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
samT

PostSubject: Re: How do you determine or know what to buy?   How do you determine or know what to buy? I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 20, 2009 2:25 pm

I was thinking this is a tough question becos it depends if you need something or you want something. Can be very varied considerations even for the same product at different times.
Back to top Go down
tronos
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How do you determine or know what to buy?   How do you determine or know what to buy? I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 20, 2009 2:26 pm

use to be whatever is on sale at a very good price during GN sales.
Back to top Go down
Lamts18
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Lamts18

PostSubject: Re: How do you determine or know what to buy?   How do you determine or know what to buy? I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 20, 2009 2:29 pm

S70B wrote:

- Price
- Player endorsements
- Brand Recognition
- Looks
- Playability

Sir, dont be like that la.... i really can't afford to la...
But i google and read golf forums such as wrx, sandtrap etc to see what other says.. Golf magazines help too but they are quite subjective.. also asking better players here like S70B, our Dr Ng at his clinic for their views and feedback. but i have learned that you need to have some semblance of a repeatable swing before trying.. if one just wish and hope to buy better scores by buying the latest and up to date, then most likely than not, its futile.. just my opinion and views.. no offense intended.. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: How do you determine or know what to buy?   How do you determine or know what to buy? I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 20, 2009 2:43 pm

Lamts18 wrote:
S70B wrote:

- Price
- Player endorsements
- Brand Recognition
- Looks
- Playability

But i google and read golf forums such as wrx, sandtrap etc to see what other says.. Golf magazines help too but they are quite subjective.. also asking better players here like S70B, our Dr Ng at his clinic for their views and feedback. but i have learned that you need to have some semblance of a repeatable swing before trying.. if one just wish and hope to buy better scores by buying the latest and up to date, then most likely than not, its futile.. just my opinion and views.. no offense intended.. Very Happy

Just joking of course.

I agree magazine feedbacks are subjective. End of the day, you still need to demo the product yourself to see if you like it.
Back to top Go down
Lamts18
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Lamts18

PostSubject: Re: How do you determine or know what to buy?   How do you determine or know what to buy? I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 20, 2009 2:47 pm

S70B wrote:
Lamts18 wrote:
S70B wrote:

- Price
- Player endorsements
- Brand Recognition
- Looks
- Playability

Just joking of course.

I agree magazine feedbacks are subjective. End of the day, you still need to demo the product yourself to see if you like it.

I couldn't agree more... its always best to demo the clubs before buying. Feel and feeling varies from individual to individual, others may say its so good... but you may not like it..
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

PostSubject: Re: How do you determine or know what to buy?   How do you determine or know what to buy? I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 20, 2009 2:54 pm

Lamts18 wrote:

I couldn't agree more... its always best to demo the clubs before buying. Feel and feeling varies from individual to individual, others may say its so good... but you may not like it..

Good example is the discussion on AP2 on one of the thread here.... some like it, some dun
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: How do you determine or know what to buy?   How do you determine or know what to buy? I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 20, 2009 2:58 pm

weesern wrote:
S70B wrote:

Good example is the discussion on AP2 on one of the thread here.... some like it, some dun

Hallo, dun anyhow quote le. Put words in my mouth. Razz

That thread was in Toonshouse man...seems like so long ago that you forgot we shifted. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Khorkar

PostSubject: Re: How do you determine or know what to buy?   How do you determine or know what to buy? I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 20, 2009 4:10 pm

Last week, I was kinda in a search for 54 and 58 wedge. I was looking around in Far east shopping for products. My initial criteria (to be honest) was cheap ones. I found what I was looking with Gosen and Nike Tours selling for less than SG70 each both of which are Zip grooves but non spin mills. But you know what, in the end of the browsing, I was reluctant to spend it. Instead, I naturally ended up looking Titleist vokeys, started with non-spin mills then later to BV spin mills.

Why-O-Why? I dont know. Is it because I am automatically attracted to Titleist products as Vokey are famous for their products, despite that fact that I haven't tested them.

Last edited by Khorkar on Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

PostSubject: Re: How do you determine or know what to buy?   How do you determine or know what to buy? I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 20, 2009 4:16 pm

S70B wrote:
weesern wrote:
S70B wrote:

Hallo, dun anyhow quote le. Put words in my mouth. Razz

That thread was in Toonshouse man...seems like so long ago that you forgot we shifted. Laughing

so fast u saw it?? trying to delete the quotes and delete the wrong name... sorry...

Most ppl here the same as toonshouse so confused liao.... so sorry.... Sad
Back to top Go down
Gray
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Gray

PostSubject: Re: How do you determine or know what to buy?   How do you determine or know what to buy? I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 20, 2009 4:47 pm

tronos wrote:
use to be whatever is on sale at a very good price during GN sales.

I went to GN shop the other day. They said they dont sell Taylor made anymore
Back to top Go down
tronos
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How do you determine or know what to buy?   How do you determine or know what to buy? I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 20, 2009 6:35 pm

almost bought a Vokey SM oil can because of the look
almost bought a X Forged Mack Daddy groove because of the cool name
almost bought a 9015D because of the hype
almost bought the CG Gold because i try to be different by going to a smaller company
almost bought SC putter cause it feels good
almost bought the Sumo 5000 with Diamana BB 63 stiff because its a Diamana BB (reputation)

almost because i got no money.........sometimes it good to be poor cause its make you research the stuff a bit more (and try to borrow here and there, which i did and found out the Diamana BB 63 stiff is too stiff for me)

bought my xxxx cause its cheap and good enough.

BTW GN shop open liao???? when to Far East shopping hoping they still sell noodle ice balls (cannot afford to lose one dozen Gamers a round. Even those 40c NTX tour/B330s also sayang to lose...take so long to collect) but they were close.
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How do you determine or know what to buy?   How do you determine or know what to buy? I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 20, 2009 8:51 pm

I am a pretty conservative person lor.....when started golf, I fix budget first based on availability or loose cash...then find the best set within that budget...
So now you know why my set so a little bit behind time.....sighhh
Back to top Go down
hillgreen
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
hillgreen

PostSubject: Re: How do you determine or know what to buy?   How do you determine or know what to buy? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 22, 2009 10:46 am

Sad to say that I conform to the brand name also... somehow subconsciously...

Started golf with friend's set and then he lend me his Nike irons.... got an opportunity to try a Titliest 822 set and was addicted to it as then it give me more distance and also the big Name.

When shopping for a replacement , I somehow choose Titliest again though I started looking out for those better bargain and lower costs...... White Flag

So, actually there are those not so famous brand and they are good in their own ways. Like tried Cleveland irons before, relatively cheap and quite good (value for $).

So, end of day the Marketing of big brands does has an impact on us (or should I say me).
Also, possibly because lots of golf shops stock latest offering from big names and when we go shopping we ended up having the opportunity to compare the prices offered and once you are hooked into the $ comparison and can get a good bargain we will normally dive into it.

bom
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How do you determine or know what to buy?   How do you determine or know what to buy? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 22, 2009 11:55 am

My personal rule of thumb: Good things are seldom or never cheap....Similarly cheap things are never good....

Learning: If too cheap...be careful...be very careful....
Back to top Go down
jimmychoo
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jimmychoo

PostSubject: Re: How do you determine or know what to buy?   How do you determine or know what to buy? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 22, 2009 12:17 pm

For me, it's got to depend on how much I can spend. If I have the money to buy a Honma, I will buy one. If I only have the money to buy Gogolf, I will buy Gogolf. End of the day, if I can play golf, I am happy liao! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Gray
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Gray

PostSubject: Re: How do you determine or know what to buy?   How do you determine or know what to buy? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 22, 2009 1:09 pm

Duval_S wrote:
My personal rule of thumb: Good things are seldom or never cheap....Similarly cheap things are never good....

I disagree....during the days of GN sale, I bgt their burner 07, hybrids and woods.....cheap and very good.

Those clubs save my game every time..
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: How do you determine or know what to buy?   How do you determine or know what to buy? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 22, 2009 1:34 pm

Duval_S wrote:

Not always the case. Sometimes, good things are cheap and expensive things aren't always good.

Case in point:

1. Got a TM 5W off Khorkar for a good price. The club kicks butt.
2. Got a SC but putting hasn't improved. More practice... note to self: the club isn't a miracle-maker!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How do you determine or know what to buy?   How do you determine or know what to buy? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How do you determine or know what to buy?
Page 1 of 1