Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Is the HC system consistent between here and US?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

Is the HC system consistent between here and US? Empty
PostSubject: Is the HC system consistent between here and US?   Is the HC system consistent between here and US? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2010 11:38 am

Disclaimer first (more like CYA thingy): this is purely out of curiousity..

Was watching the AT&T pebble tourney where amateur played with Pro. Just noticed that there were handful of them which had pretty 'interesting' swing.....eg. top , duff their ball...even fm <80m.....but their HC as displayed on TV screen were like 18, 14.....wow...good HC (IMHV)

However, for golfers here , I cant stop admiring those golfers who had really solid swing and all around game where i personally had experienced seeing and even 'have to pay due to lossses'...... but HC is higher.....than those I see in the AT&T tourney.

Question: Is the HC system same as here vs. US? Or is it due to the tougher course which the US chaps played and such, assign the HC?
Back to top Go down
Tituman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Tituman

PostSubject: Re: Is the HC system consistent between here and US?   Is the HC system consistent between here and US? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2010 12:32 pm

Bro, have you heard of the term called BUAYA ???????

[img]Is the HC system consistent between here and US? Buaya.th[/img]

Titu

On Green Swing good putt I HIT IT
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: Is the HC system consistent between here and US?   Is the HC system consistent between here and US? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2010 1:41 pm

Haha.... Me thinks it's common here. That some golfers dun maintain their HC properly and 'under declare'.
May be for purpose of winning bets. Razz
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: Is the HC system consistent between here and US?   Is the HC system consistent between here and US? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2010 1:49 pm

There are a few possibilities:

- Vanity Handicaps. Celebs who can't play for nuts but hold 1 just to 'look good'

- They can play to their hdcps at their home course which might be an easy track but suffer in places like Pebble.

- They are just like us and suffer from stage fright. Have you guys ever played 18 holes in front of crowds?

Handicaps are not really required here in US unless you are interested to play in comps. Heck, you can walk into any golf course with an available tee time, pay up and tee off.

Also, golfers here are more extreme in skill levels. Becos there isn't a need for hdcps, there are some really terrible golfers here but also some really fantastic ones.
Back to top Go down
Tituman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Tituman

PostSubject: Re: Is the HC system consistent between here and US?   Is the HC system consistent between here and US? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2010 1:56 pm

S70B wrote:
There are a few possibilities:

- Vanity Handicaps. Celebs who can't play for nuts but hold 1 just to 'look good'

- They can play to their hdcps at their home course which might be an easy track but suffer in places like Pebble.

- They are just like us and suffer from stage fright. Have you guys ever played 18 holes in front of crowds?

Handicaps are not really required here in US unless you are interested to play in comps. Heck, you can walk into any golf course with an available tee time, pay up and tee off.

Also, golfers here are more extreme in skill levels. Becos there isn't a need for hdcps, there are some really terrible golfers here but some really fantastic ones.

Out of 10 amateur golfers who appears on TV, i can only see 1 or 2 having HC of 18 and above, The rest I noticed were single digits and when you see their shots, they don't seem to be that good. But maybe like you said, their home course is rather easy. I hace seen a couple with HC of around 5 and were appearing in Golf Channel and they even played with such pronounced 'Reverse Pivot' !

Titu
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: Is the HC system consistent between here and US?   Is the HC system consistent between here and US? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2010 2:00 pm

You must understand that there will be all sorts of golfers. One of Keppel Clubs' previous Club Champions has a very unorthodox swing and yet he holds a +2 hdcp and shoots even par easily.

Last I checked, there isn't any space on the scorecard to draw out ur swing sequence. Its how you score that matters.
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Is the HC system consistent between here and US?   Is the HC system consistent between here and US? I_icon_minitimeWed Feb 17, 2010 2:12 pm

Thanks all....I kind of conclude that the system is consistent....as to how the system is used ...thats is black box.

so here is my dream......2 version of HC, one which is low so that I can take part in some invites where it states HC must be below 'x' only....and another one which ideally for me is HC >36......hahahahah
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Is the HC system consistent between here and US?   Is the HC system consistent between here and US? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Is the HC system consistent between here and US?
Page 1 of 1