Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How do take care of Forged Irons?

Go down 
+3
slinger
Technospaz
alvin7379
7 posters
AuthorMessage
alvin7379
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
alvin7379

How do take care of Forged Irons? Empty
PostSubject: How do take care of Forged Irons?   How do take care of Forged Irons? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2010 9:34 pm

Hi,

Doea anyone knows how to take care of Forged Irons? i.e. the club face with scratches.. Little bumps and chips on the irons etc? Thanks
Back to top Go down
http://www.visualtech.com.sg
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: How do take care of Forged Irons?   How do take care of Forged Irons? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2010 9:40 pm

Keep all clubs tucked into headcovers. Reapply the headcovers after the club is used. Some golfers remove the headcovers before the game and only reapply them after the game is over - this causes the clubs to ding as they hit against each other during the course of the game.

But, understand that they are not impervious to dents and scratches, and no matter how much care you take, they will ultimately show some wear after time.
Back to top Go down
alvin7379
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
alvin7379

PostSubject: Re: How do take care of Forged Irons?   How do take care of Forged Irons? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2010 9:45 pm

Hi Technospaz,

Thanks for your advice Smile

Actually I am more concern about what to do about the club if they already got those dents and scratches. Any way to 'polish' or 'oil' or or.... them back to look better?
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: How do take care of Forged Irons?   How do take care of Forged Irons? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2010 9:48 pm

Hmm... I'm not sure how, bro. Perhaps some careful filing? Best to let the pros/fitters share their tips. Good question though Smile
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

PostSubject: Re: How do take care of Forged Irons?   How do take care of Forged Irons? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2010 9:48 pm

dun use them....... Very Happy

apart from wat TS suggest, clean them every week

after a day in the rain, remove all headcovers n air dry them, dun keep them in
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How do take care of Forged Irons?   How do take care of Forged Irons? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2010 9:51 pm

Quote :
slinger wrote:
dun use them....... How do take care of Forged Irons? Icon_biggrin

apart from wat TS suggest, clean them every week

after a day in the rain, remove all headcovers n air dry them, dun keep them in

Hi Bro Slinger....are you saying that the irons need to be kept out in the rain for a day...and then later remove to dry???

what happen if there is no rain that rains thru out the whole day?
Back to top Go down
Denis
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Denis

PostSubject: Re: How do take care of Forged Irons?   How do take care of Forged Irons? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2010 9:58 pm

Hi, what about a deep scratch on the face? Is there anything we can do about it?
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

PostSubject: Re: How do take care of Forged Irons?   How do take care of Forged Irons? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2010 10:02 pm

as in dun keep the clubs in the heacovers, cos the headcover oreadi wet, it will retain moisture, keeping them in will increase the rust process
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: How do take care of Forged Irons?   How do take care of Forged Irons? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2010 10:08 pm

slinger wrote:
as in dun keep the clubs in the heacovers, cos the headcover oreadi wet, it will retain moisture, keeping them in will increase the rust process

I agree. Always make sure that your clubs are dry (this includes your grips too). If they are damp, rust can occur and other grimy stuff can appear on your grips.
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: How do take care of Forged Irons?   How do take care of Forged Irons? I_icon_minitimeMon Jan 25, 2010 10:59 pm

Looks Ur going to be disappointed Alvin and Denis, there isn't really much you can do on your own with nicks, dings, and deep scratches. Polishing, oiling, and filing isn't going to help much. Most forged irons are plated or chromed to protect the soft carbon steel from rusting and wearing too quickly. Filing just removes the plating, material and therefore weight from the clubhead. Re-chroming or re-plating is an option but I'm not sure if there's anyone here who can do it to the standards required for golf clubs.

Here's a link that S70B posted once before to a company Stateside that does re-conditioning of irons. I've linked it directly to the FAQ. In the gallery, you'll see that for one of the samples, there are still nicks and dings even after work has been done.

http://www.theironfactory.com/faqs.html
Back to top Go down
alvin7379
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
alvin7379

PostSubject: Re: How do take care of Forged Irons?   How do take care of Forged Irons? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 26, 2010 12:25 am

Birdman wrote:
Looks Ur going to be disappointed Alvin and Denis, there isn't really much you can do on your own with nicks, dings, and deep scratches. Polishing, oiling, and filing isn't going to help much. Most forged irons are plated or chromed to protect the soft carbon steel from rusting and wearing too quickly. Filing just removes the plating, material and therefore weight from the clubhead. Re-chroming or re-plating is an option but I'm not sure if there's anyone here who can do it to the standards required for golf clubs.

Here's a link that S70B posted once before to a company Stateside that does re-conditioning of irons. I've linked it directly to the FAQ. In the gallery, you'll see that for one of the samples, there are still nicks and dings even after work has been done.

http://www.theironfactory.com/faqs.html

Hi Birdman,

Guess I will have to live with all my scratches then.. heh... anyway thanks for the site reference Smile
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: How do take care of Forged Irons?   How do take care of Forged Irons? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 26, 2010 3:05 am

I only became more paranoid about dings and scratches after I got my AP2s in 08. I guess it was becos they were nice and shiny and I intended to keep them that way.

Right now being immersed into the American golf culture, I pretty much get my Mizzys all dinged up and scratched after all the use and practice. Having them satinised also makes the dings less obvious.

They are just tools for the game to me now. Small dings and scratches just add 'character' as long as its not full chunks chipping off. Laughing

There is a sorta of a fine sanding piece of rubber that they sell in golf shops here. It gets rid of mild scratches and dulls back dings in satin irons (satin irons will hv dings that go shinier) I use it to rid it of dried epoxy or other stuff that normal brushing or rubbing can't get rid of.
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: How do take care of Forged Irons?   How do take care of Forged Irons? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 26, 2010 3:13 am

WRT to The Iron Factory here in US, getting them re-chromed and re-grooved is cheap compared to getting new clubs. I din take the 'before' fotos of a couple of clubs but they turned out very nice.

http://www.golfrepublic.org/titleist-footjoy-cobra-f20/how-sought-after-are-vokey-tvds-t2037-15.htm

Jim has been a joy to work with. Although he's based in Colorado, I get a constant update from him thru the phone. Also the turn-round time is pretty long (ard 2-3mths depending on how much he has on his plate [pun unintended] ).

I haven't asked him if he does overseas work though but we are in Asia so getting things locally done should be even cheaper. The trick is to find someone to do it.
Back to top Go down
Denis
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Denis

PostSubject: Re: How do take care of Forged Irons?   How do take care of Forged Irons? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 26, 2010 1:55 pm

Hi Birdman, thanks for the link...looks like the scratch is gonna stay... Neutral
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: How do take care of Forged Irons?   How do take care of Forged Irons? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 26, 2010 2:53 pm

Wish I could have been of more help rather than the bearer of bad news alvin and denis.

The upside is, now don't have to look after them so well. Tell urself it adds character, like a long scar on the side of the face!
ROFL
Back to top Go down
Denis
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Denis

PostSubject: Re: How do take care of Forged Irons?   How do take care of Forged Irons? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 26, 2010 2:58 pm

ha....great way to look at things...been doing the same with my car...dont care so much after some scratches & dents...haha
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: How do take care of Forged Irons?   How do take care of Forged Irons? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 26, 2010 3:23 pm

Birdman wrote:
Wish I could have been of more help rather than the bearer of bad news alvin and denis.

The upside is, now don't have to look after them so well. Tell urself it adds character, like a long scar on the side of the face!
ROFL

Like a pirate?

Or Lt. Aldo Raine?
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: How do take care of Forged Irons?   How do take care of Forged Irons? I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 26, 2010 3:39 pm

You wanna peg leg to complete the picture? Got a spare parrot to sit on your shoulder too, unfortunately, Polly isn't housetrained. "Polly wants a wanker, Polly wants a wanker, squawk!"

ROFL
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How do take care of Forged Irons?   How do take care of Forged Irons? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How do take care of Forged Irons?
Page 1 of 1