Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

better with forged irons?

Go down 
+12
shamusan
4dtoto
james
wilkang
haragolfer
simoner
DRGjr72
TourSwing
asahi
olivewine
Gray
drizz0
16 posters
AuthorMessage
drizz0
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

better with forged irons? Empty
PostSubject: better with forged irons?   better with forged irons? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 06, 2011 11:03 pm

hello there,

i am relatively new to golf and golf republic.. started golf just under a year now.. i have got one question..
can someone be better with forged CB irons than game improvement irons?
its because i currently have titleist ap1 irons... i would say i am just below average with them.. currently shooting between 100-110.. so when on the range last month with my frens, who is a mid handicapper, who carries mizzy mp58s( i know they are musclebacks), i cheekily asked to try em out thinking i would not be able to hit any dcent shots.. but to my surprise i consistently hit them straight with good distance... thought was just a fluke.. but again today when to a shop and tried another forged mb iron with some mx300s... i again hit the mbs better...
is this possible? i just felt that they were lighter and easier to hit..
thinking of getting mp53s or shld i just work with my swing with the ap1s
before i pull the trigger to get me some mizzy mp53s... cheers
Back to top Go down
Gray
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Gray

PostSubject: Re: better with forged irons?   better with forged irons? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 06, 2011 11:11 pm

A master once said to me...all sets feel good an hit straight because you havent paid money yet. Once u pay, wont feel so good already.

Same for many things in life. Pay first then service bad liao but pay later, service good until u pay.
Back to top Go down
olivewine
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
olivewine

PostSubject: Re: better with forged irons?   better with forged irons? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 06, 2011 11:28 pm

mp58 is definitely more forgiving among mizuno mp series. i have a set too. i used to play with mx15 and i felt it's actually easier to hit with the mp58... surprising not as punishing as i thought it would be...

whatever that you feel more comfortable with bro!
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: better with forged irons?   better with forged irons? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2011 12:03 am

Personally, I do not think that one can play better just by switching to forged irons.
Your skills will determine how you play most of the time.

But what is true for me is that a forged set does give you a better (softer) feel/feedback compared to cast iron ones.

Having said that, there are now cast irons set which feels 'soft' as well.

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
drizz0
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: better with forged irons?   better with forged irons? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2011 12:20 am

thanks for the response guys,
been working on my iron play.. i do believe its the indian not the arrow that matters most..
but just cant get,over the fact how easier it felt hitting the forged irons.. not to mention the feel and sound of it.. still trying to settle in with my ap1s after months... but i have never felt at ease with it even when i hit it nice and clean... dunno if it is just me itching to get new toys.. but mp53s looks awesome though.. especially with that topline... hmmm...
Back to top Go down
TourSwing
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TourSwing

PostSubject: Re: better with forged irons?   better with forged irons? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2011 12:22 am

Havent seen your swing so its difficult to say ... But with the scores you've mentioned, i recommend you continue to work on your swing, before investing further ...

A change in club, and that to a forged, shouldn't make a dramatic improvement to your results, and i dont think it will over a sustained period of time ... Theres probably a psychological element to this ... $ may be better spent on classes and practicing the game

Having said that there are those who feel that one should learn golf only using forged irons, its the only way! Not too sure about that Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down
DRGjr72
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
DRGjr72

PostSubject: Re: better with forged irons?   better with forged irons? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2011 7:50 am

@ Drizz...there could have been a number of things that made your performance improve with those clubs. Could have been the weight, length, grip size, shaft flex ,etc.

However if we assume that both sets are equal in all aspects of setup then it might be more of a mental thing and like someone mentioned before it is usually called the "honeymoon phase" where most everything you hit is better than your current setup. Soon after the honeymoon phase and purchase, you set into reality and realize it is not that much better than your other stuff.

I would say that if you are a higher handicap to make sure that your basic stuff is fit for you. Meaning that you have the correct shaft flex, correct length, and correct grip size. Also another thing to consider is the amount of offset in your irons. Some like more, some like less and it can lead to varying results based on your swing.

Before I just jumped onto another set I would go to a demo day and really compare all that is out there to your current set. After a serious day of comparison I think then you might be able to make an informed decision. There are so many great sets of clubs out there right now...
Back to top Go down
simoner
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
simoner

PostSubject: Re: better with forged irons?   better with forged irons? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2011 10:24 am

Dear Drizz0
Personally, I think you should pop by a club fitter to see what's best for you. Customizing a set for you might be the best way forward

My 2cents worth Smile
Back to top Go down
haragolfer
Caddy
Caddy
haragolfer

PostSubject: Re: better with forged irons?   better with forged irons? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2011 11:24 am

i am an equipment junkie, so i will share my experience with both these clubs u mentioned. The titleist's play too hard for most golfers, by which i include myself, no matter cavity or not. I have many friends who shoot lower and more consistently when they switched to mizuno or Ping. Mind you, these guys i mentioned are single handicapers.

My own favourite was a mp33 mizuno forged blade, intimidating, but i found it more forgiving than a cavity back. Funny i know.

Mizuno or japanese clubs for me anyday.
Back to top Go down
drizz0
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: better with forged irons?   better with forged irons? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2011 1:02 pm

thanx for the response again guys....

going to a club fitter is a good idea...

its good to know some ppl have experienced it also...

been mulling over it all day.. and if i am going to get forged irons, i have my heart set on mizunos....

i am gonna play a round this afternoon... see how it goes...
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: better with forged irons?   better with forged irons? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2011 1:17 pm

Bro, me using a KZG forged set. Good soft feel upon impact.
Bout same price as mizuno. Can consider. .
Back to top Go down
wilkang
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
wilkang

PostSubject: Re: better with forged irons?   better with forged irons? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2011 1:34 pm

I was once a AP2 user and it took me a good few months to get used to it.
Probably due to lack of skills...lol

One thing for sure, investing in new irons is a costly affair.
So in-order to play with confidence, seek a club fitter with your current set and go over your stats.
You'll be surprised what your swing stats will reveal.

We have with us a couple of fitters here in the forum.
BFG @ Bukit Merah or Wizgolf @ AMK.

Have fun & Happy Swinging.
Back to top Go down
james
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
james

PostSubject: Re: better with forged irons?   better with forged irons? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2011 3:06 pm

I have played both AP1 abd MP58. It's true that the MP58 played better in terms of feel and straighter shots. One conclusion I derived on the straighter shot is not about cast or forged. I think the weight of the shafts and flex played an important role. I also realised that the offset in AP1 is much more than MP58. My AP1 shots seem to pull left more. Perhaps it is this lesser offset that made me feel that MP58 played straighter
Back to top Go down
4dtoto
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
4dtoto

PostSubject: Re: better with forged irons?   better with forged irons? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2011 4:30 pm

one more thing, Muscle back usually hit slightly further..
Back to top Go down
shamusan
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
shamusan

PostSubject: Re: better with forged irons?   better with forged irons? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2011 4:37 pm

4dtoto wrote:

really?

my mp58 is shorter than my razr which is a cavity back i think...

maybe my irons something wrong...
Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
eiji

PostSubject: Re: better with forged irons?   better with forged irons? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2011 4:39 pm

shamusan wrote:
4dtoto wrote:

really?

hmm time to buy AP2 to test that theory! or maybe u already did Razz
Back to top Go down
http://www.idealparts.com.sg
Master
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Master

PostSubject: Re: better with forged irons?   better with forged irons? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2011 4:40 pm

shamusan wrote:
4dtoto wrote:

really?

dont think so much.. this is just one of the factors amongst many others which affects the distance of the iron...

as long as the iron plays well for u.. dont need to think so much...
.there should be nothing wrong with your irons....

unless u are thinking of a reason to go to BFG??? cyclops
Back to top Go down
4dtoto
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
4dtoto

PostSubject: Re: better with forged irons?   better with forged irons? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2011 4:49 pm

dun know leh.. i hit MB further leh... or maybe i am wrong or is it the MB loft is stronger
Back to top Go down
shamusan
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
shamusan

PostSubject: Re: better with forged irons?   better with forged irons? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2011 5:07 pm

haha... master, i just reading and reading your post and did not scroll down... but it would be so unlike you to not add some spice... haha...

4dtoto... the ikasu is not normal, i also hit those further than all other clubs...
Back to top Go down
Master
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Master

PostSubject: Re: better with forged irons?   better with forged irons? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2011 5:30 pm

shamusan wrote:

4dtoto... the ikasu is not normal, i also hit those further than all other clubs...

shamusan.. u might not be normal.. cos u also hit all your clubs further than i do..

hahaha... just kidding cyclops
Back to top Go down
DRGjr72
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
DRGjr72

PostSubject: Re: better with forged irons?   better with forged irons? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2011 5:43 pm

The blade type irons will have more mass close to the sweet spot than cavity backs, were the weighting is generally more around the perimeter of the club. This difference in design is the difference between forgiving and less forgiving and other playing characteristics. On well struck iron shots muscle backs should in theory transmit more mass (energy) to the ball and create more distance, assuming everything about the clubs is the same (shaft, swingweight, loft, length, etc). Cavity backs allow for greater distance on off center hits due to the perimeter weighting aspect of the club design. Also many cavity back irons will attempt to "make up" for this distance loss with stronger lofts, lighter shafts, etc. Whereas the muscle back on poorly struck shots (shots away from the sweet spot) transmit less energy and thus suffer much greater distance loss. That is why many high handicap players benefit from cavity back type irons due to the lack of consistency in their ball striking.

Back to top Go down
shamusan
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
shamusan

PostSubject: Re: better with forged irons?   better with forged irons? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2011 6:17 pm

Master wrote:
shamusan wrote:

shamusan.. u might not be normal.. cos u also hit all your clubs further than i do..

hahaha... just kidding cyclops

haha... thts cos i eat more than you do!!!
Back to top Go down
r510tp
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: better with forged irons?   better with forged irons? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 07, 2011 6:23 pm

DRGjr72 wrote:
On well struck iron shots muscle backs should in theory transmit more mass (energy) to the ball and create more distance,

I agree Dan. I hit my cavity back irons consistently 1 club shorter than my blades. And my cavity back irons' loft are about 3 degrees stronger than my blades! Very Happy
Back to top Go down
zyl107
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: better with forged irons?   better with forged irons? I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 08, 2011 9:40 pm

I have a VIQ tourstage forged irons and it is awesome!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: better with forged irons?   better with forged irons? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

better with forged irons?
Page 1 of 1