Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Initial impressions - Callaway FT-iz driver

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper

Initial impressions - Callaway FT-iz driver Empty
PostSubject: Initial impressions - Callaway FT-iz driver   Initial impressions - Callaway FT-iz driver I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2010 1:59 pm

Was at the range after a bad round yesterday and the chaps from the proshop at TEC swung by and asked me to try out the FT-iz that they just got, in stiff flex.

My initial impression is that it feels much more head heavy compared to the Burner 9* LCG w/ TM Diamana wb63 that I'm currently using. Face is more shallow as well.

The FT-iz hits mega bombs, and my shots seemed to stay on-line longer (I play a fade), and I was easily getting around 260 yds of carry alone. Impact feels much more muted than my Burner, but I would say that yardage is the same, if not just slightly longer. They've offered to let me game it for a round later this week, so I'll share more impressions then. At this point in time, my personal bias is still with the TM as it just feels better at impact and feels more head light (which allows me to go for the ball better)

I also managed to try out my King Cobra L4V F/9.0 with aftermarket Diamana wb63. Aside from the hollow sound at impact, drives were straighter than my TM setup, but definitely not as long. Might just keep this around for courses with narrower fairways Razz
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Initial impressions - Callaway FT-iz driver   Initial impressions - Callaway FT-iz driver I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2010 4:11 pm

Thanks for the review, ghoonk. I saw the iz in stores and it does look strange (head-wise). I was curious how it'd perform.
Back to top Go down
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper

PostSubject: Re: Initial impressions - Callaway FT-iz driver   Initial impressions - Callaway FT-iz driver I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2010 4:22 pm

Actually, I liked the iZ head more than i liked the iq head. Am not a big fan of square heads.

I'd say this: It's a bomber. If you can get over the feel of it being crazy head-heavy, the look/shape (doesn't bother me), and the muted feel at impact, it's pretty damn good.

The one I tried is obviously US and not Japanese spec, and hence the stiff shaft spec does take a bit of oomph to get it working
Back to top Go down
watermyforrest
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
watermyforrest

PostSubject: Re: Initial impressions - Callaway FT-iz driver   Initial impressions - Callaway FT-iz driver I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2010 5:28 pm

Hi ghoonk,

Just wondering if you had tried Alpha drivers as well... supposedly popular among the participant of the Long Drive Championship.
Back to top Go down
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper

PostSubject: Re: Initial impressions - Callaway FT-iz driver   Initial impressions - Callaway FT-iz driver I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2010 5:33 pm

Nope. That said, I have always wondered why drivers used in the LDCs have never been popular on Tour...
Back to top Go down
lexancer
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Initial impressions - Callaway FT-iz driver   Initial impressions - Callaway FT-iz driver I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 12, 2010 11:54 pm

boss- i considering buying this driver second hand... from a colleague....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Initial impressions - Callaway FT-iz driver   Initial impressions - Callaway FT-iz driver I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Initial impressions - Callaway FT-iz driver
Page 1 of 1