Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Golf in Shanghai

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

Golf in Shanghai Empty
PostSubject: Golf in Shanghai   Golf in Shanghai I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 12, 2010 4:37 pm

hi folks,

I'll be travelling to Shanghai in March, and want to arrange a round with my boss from overseas. We can drive out 1hr-1.5 hr away from city center (we'd be staying at Pudong). I know some clubs are for members only (e.g. Tomson, Sheshan, Yin Tao) and green fees are relatively expensive. Did some googling and found courses like Tian Ma, Shanghai links, Sun Island, Palm Beach but reviews are very few.

Can anyone recommend 18-hole courses with public access in or around Shanghai?

many thanks!
Back to top Go down
golfcoma
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

Golf in Shanghai Empty
PostSubject: Re: Golf in Shanghai   Golf in Shanghai I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 12, 2010 5:13 pm

Technically speaking, all the courses in Shanghai allow public access to a certain extent. As with most things in China, it all comes down to who you know and how much you're willing to pay. If you don't know anyone who are members, you can go through agents but you're right in that the green fees can be quite expensive.

Are you looking to play on a weekday or weekend because that would make a difference. In terms of courses, I would recommend sheshan, tianma, and shanghai links. There are other courses but probably too far away if you're staying in pudong.

Feel free to pm me with more questions if you want as I am based in Shanghai.

Last edited by golfcoma on Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
golfcoma
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

Golf in Shanghai Empty
PostSubject: Re: Golf in Shanghai   Golf in Shanghai I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 12, 2010 5:15 pm

By the way, yintao and sun island (in qingpu) are not that great. So, don't even bother with those. Tomson used to be pretty good but have really gone downhill in the last 1-2 years. So, I would also give that a miss if I were you.
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

Golf in Shanghai Empty
PostSubject: Re: Golf in Shanghai   Golf in Shanghai I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 12, 2010 8:31 pm

golfcoma..thanks for your suggestions. I'll focus my effort on those three courses. We hope to play on weekdays.

Have you played Westlake course in Hangzhou? We may travel to the yellow mountain and thinking about stopping by in Hangzhou.
Back to top Go down
golfcoma
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

Golf in Shanghai Empty
PostSubject: Re: Golf in Shanghai   Golf in Shanghai I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 12, 2010 9:17 pm

If you want to play on weekends, then you'll generally need a member to bring you onto those courses. They're generally more loose on weekdays. If you're interested in Tianma, let me know as I am a member there.

I haven't played in Hangzhou before but have heard good things about the fuchun golf course. The golf course at 黄山 is supposed to be quite good too.
Back to top Go down
engngee
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Golf in Shanghai Empty
PostSubject: Re: Golf in Shanghai   Golf in Shanghai I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 12, 2010 9:48 pm

My person preference:
From Pudong - Binhai which is a lovely and challenging course with windy condition and lots of deep bunkers. It is about an hour from Pudong Lujiazui.
Outside of Qingpu into Jiangsu (again about an hour from Pudong Lujiazui), a well run club called Silport (旭宝). In some previous years, they hosted the China Volvo Open.

But like what Golfcoma said, all courses in or around Shanghai do not come cheap. Sunisland is popular with Singaporeans and I would not recommend Yintao.

If you can get a game in one of the courses, you will enjoy it particularly in this spring weather.  
Back to top Go down
golfcoma
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

Golf in Shanghai Empty
PostSubject: Re: Golf in Shanghai   Golf in Shanghai I_icon_minitimeTue Jan 12, 2010 10:14 pm

Engngee is right - Binhai is also a consideration especially since you are in Pudong. I used to go there quite often but the greens were bumpy and quite inconsistent the last several times I went. Not sure how it is now as I haven't been there since November. If you do end up choosing Binhai, go for the AB course which is a links style course. Don't bother with the CF course.

Have heard good things about Silport but right now, it'll probably take at least 1.5 hours to get from pudong to silport because there are 3 major highways currently under construction. However, everyone I know who has been there has said good things about it Smile If you don't mind the drive, engngee is right - it's supposed to be a very nice course.

Just came to mind is the nine dragon course (in zhejiang) which is a pretty nice and challenging course.

As for green fees on weekends in shanghai, it'll probably run between rmb 1,000 - 1,500 for most decent courses.
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

Golf in Shanghai Empty
PostSubject: Re: Golf in Shanghai   Golf in Shanghai I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 13, 2010 3:08 am

My personal fave was Shanghai Links, took awhile to get there with the driver getting lost a little having to go down dinky little village roads, but it was worth it. Enjoyed the course tremendously. Was quite amazed at how they transformed it into a pretty good replica of a links course. Even the clubhouse fit into the look from afar. Great course condition too, but it's windy though, so if you don't like having to factor the wind into your game, have a think about it.
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

Golf in Shanghai Empty
PostSubject: Re: Golf in Shanghai   Golf in Shanghai I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 13, 2010 10:05 am

Birdman, Engngee, Golfcoma..thanks for your recommendations. Spoilt with choices now, I must say. It's down to Tian Ma, the Links and possibly Binhai if I can get on a weekday (weekends are double the price). Golfcoma, I might just take up your offer if you can help getting us a slot or we could join one of your games if you dont mind. Will PM you closer to the date.
Back to top Go down
golfbeginner
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
golfbeginner

Golf in Shanghai Empty
PostSubject: Re: Golf in Shanghai   Golf in Shanghai I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 13, 2010 10:13 am

Bro, going shanghai this season wow super cold leh.... santa
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

Golf in Shanghai Empty
PostSubject: Re: Golf in Shanghai   Golf in Shanghai I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 13, 2010 10:22 am

bro steve, i hope the cold snap will pass by March, will get myself skins & thermals, eat heaty dishes like kao ya etc. all for a chance to play like Tom Watson at Royal Birkdale Wink
Back to top Go down
golfcoma
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

Golf in Shanghai Empty
PostSubject: Re: Golf in Shanghai   Golf in Shanghai I_icon_minitimeWed Jan 13, 2010 12:49 pm

Weather in March should be ok, especially if you're coming towards the end of March. Probably no need for thermals unless there is a cold front during that time , or unless you're very afraid of the cold Smile Please do let me know at least one week in advance if you wish to play in Tianma.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Golf in Shanghai Empty
PostSubject: Re: Golf in Shanghai   Golf in Shanghai I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Golf in Shanghai
Page 1 of 1