Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Shanghai Golf

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
skybobo
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

Shanghai Golf Empty
PostSubject: Shanghai Golf   Shanghai Golf I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 18, 2014 3:55 pm

Hi guys, I will be in Shanghai from Oct 12 to Oct 25. 
I will be staying in Grand Kempinkski Hotel Pudong area.
Is there any place that I can go shop for golf apparels?
Is there any golf course nearby that allows for 1 ball on the weekend and offers rented clubs too?
Thanks.
Back to top Go down
wbjia
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
wbjia

Shanghai Golf Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shanghai Golf   Shanghai Golf I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 18, 2014 6:11 pm

shanghai is more expensive than spore.
Back to top Go down
stingray
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Shanghai Golf Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shanghai Golf   Shanghai Golf I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2014 9:00 am

@skybobo No point considering golf apparels in Shanghai. @wbjia is right that it is more expensive.

Tomson golf course is the only central course in Pudong but rather expensive RMB1,680++ for weekend as member guest. Binhai golf course is nice; be sure to budget about 75 to 90 mins drive.

Most courses will have rental clubs but do not have high expectations about what's available.

Hope this helps.
Back to top Go down
ralphlim
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
ralphlim

Shanghai Golf Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shanghai Golf   Shanghai Golf I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2014 9:23 am

if you intend to play in SHA, a few points to note:

1) be prepared to travel at least 45min-1hr to the golf course
2) avoid weekends unless you have a 3-4 ball flight, most course will not allow 1 ball on weekend. Weekdays is possible
3) try to bring your clubs, China rental standard are likely to be fakes and poor condition
4) if you want knock-off golf things, go to the Shanghai Space & Sci Museum, there is a mall nearby with lots of fake golf stuff
5) Apparel, don't even bother, due to high import taxes, even your regular Adidas or Nike will be steep

this is a URL for majority of SHA golf courses with numbers for you to call
http://www.golftoday.co.uk/clubhouse/coursedir/world/china/shanghai/indexsh.html 

I have tried Lake Malaren, Binhai and Qizhong golf club and Hongqiao golf club (9 holes)
All is quite good and with the cool weather in Oct, it can be a nice experience
Back to top Go down
stingray
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Shanghai Golf Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shanghai Golf   Shanghai Golf I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2014 10:02 am

Excellent points by ralphlim.

I'd add... no harm trying to book as a single. The club may be fine to slot you in with an existing 3-ball flight. Weekend golf bookings generally take place a week in advance. As a single, you can try calling Tue or Wed to gauge available slots.
Back to top Go down
skybobo
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

Shanghai Golf Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shanghai Golf   Shanghai Golf I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2014 10:37 am

Guys, thank u all for the great tips. Much appreciated. It's certainly very heart warming to see fellow golfers helping one another. Have a great day.
Back to top Go down
ralphlim
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
ralphlim

Shanghai Golf Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shanghai Golf   Shanghai Golf I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2014 10:41 am

no worries

12 Oct to 25th Oct is a quite a number of days, you cross the weekend and even a PH in SG, you should make the effort to bring your clubs and play 1 round as least, even if just for experience... then worth your time there!!

If you need some advice or directions, let me know, I have scorecards from SHA golf courses which I can scan to you so that you can have their full addresses and updated tel numbers, pm me in private
Back to top Go down
stingray
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Shanghai Golf Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shanghai Golf   Shanghai Golf I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2014 12:10 pm

@skybobo Feel free to PM me too. Happy to offer my two cents to fellow golfer.

Btw, caddie tip is about RMB100.
Back to top Go down
freedrop
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
freedrop

Shanghai Golf Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shanghai Golf   Shanghai Golf I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 19, 2014 2:04 pm

If you want to join a bunch of Malaysian and Singaporean golfers in Shanghai, try Harimau Golf http://www.harimaugolfclub.com/wordpress/

They are very active and organise weekend golfs in Shanghai, all are Malaysians/Singaporeans. My friend is committee member inside, if you need his contact, let me know.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Shanghai Golf Empty
PostSubject: Re: Shanghai Golf   Shanghai Golf I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Shanghai Golf
Page 1 of 1