Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Best Scotty Cameron Thread Ever

Go down 
+8
samT
Khorkar
Technospaz
Kopi Towkay
missmoon
sunny
S70B
yelnats
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
yelnats
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

Best Scotty Cameron Thread Ever Empty
PostSubject: Best Scotty Cameron Thread Ever   Best Scotty Cameron Thread Ever I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 13, 2009 1:15 am

This is a must read for all Scotty Fans.

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=277979
Back to top Go down
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: Best Scotty Cameron Thread Ever   Best Scotty Cameron Thread Ever I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 13, 2009 1:29 am

Welcome Yelnats....I presume its your name spelled backwards? Wink

Do join us for our local games and gatherings. Also, we look forward to your active participation.

Are you a Scotty Lover or do you game other putters?
Back to top Go down
sunny
Greens Committee Member
Greens Committee Member
sunny

PostSubject: Re: Best Scotty Cameron Thread Ever   Best Scotty Cameron Thread Ever I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 13, 2009 1:31 am

hi Stanley (i presume from the nick and this is easier to type), welcome here. Thanks for sharing as I am a scotty fan as well.
Back to top Go down
Http://thescarletibis.wordpress.com
missmoon
Greens Committee Member
Greens Committee Member
missmoon

PostSubject: Re: Best Scotty Cameron Thread Ever   Best Scotty Cameron Thread Ever I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 13, 2009 1:33 am

I have a SCOTTY KOMBI! That makes a scotty fan too..
Scotty Cameron
Back to top Go down
http://www.golfrepublic.org
yelnats
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Best Scotty Cameron Thread Ever   Best Scotty Cameron Thread Ever I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 13, 2009 1:53 am

Yup. Stan here. Used to own about 400 Scotty Headcovers and about 30 Camerons. Remembered one Christmas season when I have 10 My Girls from that year..I gave up most of the stuff 3 years back.

I guess you will need to read the entire thread. I was surprised that Berttinardi was the guy that milled Camerons putters.

That said, I think Cameron did a great job a marketing he's product. But was definitely expecting a better quality product.

I am currently gaming a Slighter. At least I know it is 100% milled in the States.

Smile Thanks for the invite. You guys are also welcome to visit.
Back to top Go down
yelnats
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Best Scotty Cameron Thread Ever   Best Scotty Cameron Thread Ever I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 13, 2009 1:56 am

BTW, you guys can email me at stan@yelnats.com Smile
Back to top Go down
Kopi Towkay
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Kopi Towkay

PostSubject: Re: Best Scotty Cameron Thread Ever   Best Scotty Cameron Thread Ever I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 13, 2009 7:15 am

yelnats wrote:
BTW, you guys can email me at stan@yelnats.com Smile

Hi Stan, glad to see you found this new site after the toon machine went down.

Interesting link to golfwrx. No doubt about it, whenever the chit chat gets going about SC and Bett, the raw and tender nerves of some are exposed for all to see. It's a festering sore with some that will never heal I suppose.

I am glad we don't see that public demonstration of opposing views expressed in such virulent manner on this site. For all the differences between the US and Singapore cultures, not once have I seen a true blue "Flame Fest" occur here, and for that I am very very thankful.

Any updates on the visit by Mr. Joe Kwok? Still coming sometime this late summer/fall?

Cheers, KT
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Best Scotty Cameron Thread Ever   Best Scotty Cameron Thread Ever I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 13, 2009 7:37 am

Hi Stan, there are lots of Scotty lovers here. I too have just started out with my Newport 2. Love it to bits and would love to hear more from you on your fascination for this line of putters Smile
Back to top Go down
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Khorkar

PostSubject: Re: Best Scotty Cameron Thread Ever   Best Scotty Cameron Thread Ever I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 13, 2009 9:13 am

Heya stan, glad that you join the forum. Welcome....

All,

This is one of the comment from Foregasim in golfwrx.com, do you believe it?

Every Scotty Cameron production and tour putter from the Classic and Scottsman of 1993 to 1994 and all of the Cameron Titleist production and Tour putters from 1995 through 1998 or there abouts were manufactured by Bob Bettinardi in Chicago. Scotty has NEVER manufactured any of the production or tour putters that bear his name.

I have a Newport Classic 1995/96 era, does it mean that it actually made by Berttinardi? I am totally confused now.
Back to top Go down
samT
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
samT

PostSubject: Re: Best Scotty Cameron Thread Ever   Best Scotty Cameron Thread Ever I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 13, 2009 9:32 am

I read the whole thread yesterday morning (and kenna from wifey for bringing her late for bfast). Very intriguing info indeed.

What attracted me was the diff in perspectives about "collectibles" and how powerful is this perspective if used correctly by a good marketeer.
Back to top Go down
Uncle Lau
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Best Scotty Cameron Thread Ever   Best Scotty Cameron Thread Ever I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 13, 2009 9:40 am

I found a Scotty Cameron cover last game at Starhill.....am i a fan ? Guess i could only afford the cover lor.... Sad

New here
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Best Scotty Cameron Thread Ever   Best Scotty Cameron Thread Ever I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 13, 2009 9:50 am

Uncle Lau wrote:
I found a Scotty Cameron cover last game at Starhill.....am i a fan ? Guess i could only afford the cover lor.... Sad

New here

Hahah... you found a cover or bought a cover, UL?
Back to top Go down
Uncle Lau
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Best Scotty Cameron Thread Ever   Best Scotty Cameron Thread Ever I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 13, 2009 10:10 am

HEHE found a cover at Starhill last game, i wash it and dry it and my Mrs said " Papa that's a nice cover, can i have it....BINGO....it gone ..... Sad

Stretcher
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: Best Scotty Cameron Thread Ever   Best Scotty Cameron Thread Ever I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 13, 2009 10:33 am

Welcome stanley...

The point is with your 400 covers and 30 putters you did not lose money when you sell it right? Thats why the marketeer will triumph over the producer. Imagine if you have 30 slighter or TP mills or Bettinardi. so you should still thank the Man for his chessy marketing efforts.

IMHO whether its milled in USA or China, its a matter of marketing. With free loading CNC machining, the chinese (led by the taiwanese) are far more superior in CNC milling. the innovatiion comes from the way they design their own cutting tools.

SC used to work for Ray Cook who makes great putters, but where are they today? Bettinardi used to work for SC and he makes a mean putter thats well milled. again where is he today? BOS used to finish all SC putters...now they are rolling out Father's Day special.

At the end of the day, you cannot change consumer mindset. most golfers will yearn to have a SC in their bag when they feel like their game is up to it...why??? its like getting a BMW or MB, its almost a must in life if one can afford it.

The people on golf threads can bitch all they want, they can't change the world.

For me, i prefer my $45 TM Midslant Monaco 05-01 and Zen Tour ZA1.

DGman
Back to top Go down
http://www.bigfishes.com
S70B
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
S70B

PostSubject: Re: Best Scotty Cameron Thread Ever   Best Scotty Cameron Thread Ever I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 13, 2009 10:46 am

Well said DGMan.

Ask the average golfer if they heard of SC, most will say yes.

Ask the same question if they know Slighter, Byron Morgan, Machine, TP Mills, Kevin Burns, Palombi etc most will give you the blur look.

End of the day, if its exclusivity you want, goin with the smaller companies may be the way.

However, if you are into collecting and selling, those same putters might not fetch you any of the same value you invested in.

I wouldn't even bat an eyelid should SC be milling and producing his putters in China. After all, so are most of the rest of our mainstream golf equipment anyway.

I remember you are a lefty. Trading and buying might not be part of the reason of collection for you then. Wink
Back to top Go down
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Khorkar

PostSubject: Re: Best Scotty Cameron Thread Ever   Best Scotty Cameron Thread Ever I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 13, 2009 10:59 am

The scotty cameron story

http://www.mygolfspy.com/the-scotty-cameron-story/
Back to top Go down
yelnats
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Best Scotty Cameron Thread Ever   Best Scotty Cameron Thread Ever I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 13, 2009 1:15 pm

Hi All. Thanks for the welcome. Yes, Joe Kwok is still coming to town in mid-september barring unforseen circumstances. The fitting will be at laguna and customers will hit off the turf for accurate launch monitor results.

Yes, Bettinardi did the work for Cameron. What Foregasim is true in many aspects. Some toes were stepped along the way.

As for the "gang", yes, they are protective of SC and will often do what it takes to stop others from speaking bad about SC.

I posted the thread cause the history behind everything is interesting. I started collecting Tour putters and other stuff probably 8 or 9 years back. Tour putters were rare then.

Don;t get me wrong. I think Cameron makes nice stuff. Yes, I made a very healthy profit. Use to flip covers at $90 for $400 in a week. But no, I will not thank him for anything.

I gave up when Cameron launch the tour bag on their website. They had billed my credit card for 6 of the bags. The guys close to in the Cameron circle bitched about it and all orders were cancelled. SC announced that the orders will all be cancelled and they will do a lottery system for the members. As you would have guessed, guys like VOG got theirs. That's when I gave up everything.

Still, I do regret selling the 10 pieces of Teryllium lefty I once owne. Smile
Back to top Go down
samT
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
samT

PostSubject: Re: Best Scotty Cameron Thread Ever   Best Scotty Cameron Thread Ever I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 13, 2009 1:33 pm

Hi Stanley,

Thanks for the post. I found it to be an extremely informative read. We all have to judge for ourselves what to believe of course, but some things would be obvious from the responses.
Back to top Go down
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Khorkar

PostSubject: Re: Best Scotty Cameron Thread Ever   Best Scotty Cameron Thread Ever I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 13, 2009 1:37 pm

Stan,

Your views as A golfer (and not as a collector), comparing the various premium branded putter out there in the market:

Is there any advantage of owning a SC vs to Bert or TP or Bryan?

For me, being a putter 101-dummy, I dont see a big deal.
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Best Scotty Cameron Thread Ever   Best Scotty Cameron Thread Ever I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 13, 2009 1:43 pm

I never realized that there was so much history involved and by 'history,' I mean "bad blood." Regardless, I agree with samT. The post is informative but we have to judge for ourselves what to believe. As we know, history is written by the victors so take what you want from what you read, but do take it with a pinch of salt.

In any case, I think SC putters are pretty incredible. They are relatively easy to use and inspire confidence. They don't always work they way they should but owning one is a small thrill. Owning a limited edition or rare piece on the other hand is a privilege Smile

Oh.. my first headcover arrived too. It's the US Open '07 with the stars and stripes dogs Smile
Back to top Go down
yelnats
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Best Scotty Cameron Thread Ever   Best Scotty Cameron Thread Ever I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 13, 2009 2:06 pm

Be it a collector or golfer, I just put what I like in the bag. As mentioned, the thread is more information then anything else. Pictures of the Scottinardi was interesting. While I no longer am collecting Camerons, I have nothing against them. I still think their putters are nice and my wife games a 3x black Scotty that is 11 years old.

I enjoyed that thread cause it was indeed a nice read. Most of the guys there like Greg Hodges, Venno, and nicpoz are some of the guys I dealt with then. Still very good friends with Greg. Even Jay who helps manages TP Mills is a good friend.

I still love my Cameron T-shirts and backpack that I use daily. Smile
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Best Scotty Cameron Thread Ever   Best Scotty Cameron Thread Ever I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 13, 2009 2:15 pm

yelnats wrote:
Be it a collector or golfer, I just put what I like in the bag. As mentioned, the thread is more information then anything else. Pictures of the Scottinardi was interesting. While I no longer am collecting Camerons, I have nothing against them. I still think their putters are nice and my wife games a 3x black Scotty that is 11 years old.

I enjoyed that thread cause it was indeed a nice read. Most of the guys there like Greg Hodges, Venno, and nicpoz are some of the guys I dealt with then. Still very good friends with Greg. Even Jay who helps manages TP Mills is a good friend.

I still love my Cameron T-shirts and backpack that I use daily. Smile

Ooh. A SC backpack? Nice! I've never seen one of those before Smile
Back to top Go down
yelnats
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Best Scotty Cameron Thread Ever   Best Scotty Cameron Thread Ever I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 13, 2009 3:04 pm

The back pack was from one of the Club Cameron kits. Actually have a spare at home. Use to have about 300 Cameron Putting Cubes. hahahaha. Plus, 200 hundred Smiley Face pivot tools. The list went on.

I hope no one takes this as an anti-Cameron thread cause it is not meant to be. I still like Cameron stuff.

I am actually looking for another putter for my son. So am looking at the Bettinardi or TP Mills.
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Best Scotty Cameron Thread Ever   Best Scotty Cameron Thread Ever I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 13, 2009 3:34 pm

yelnats wrote:
The back pack was from one of the Club Cameron kits. Actually have a spare at home. Use to have about 300 Cameron Putting Cubes. hahahaha. Plus, 200 hundred Smiley Face pivot tools. The list went on.

I hope no one takes this as an anti-Cameron thread cause it is not meant to be. I still like Cameron stuff.

I am actually looking for another putter for my son. So am looking at the Bettinardi or TP Mills.

Wow!! You must post pictures. I'm sure your collection (or whatever you still have) is a sight to behold!
Back to top Go down
yelnats
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Best Scotty Cameron Thread Ever   Best Scotty Cameron Thread Ever I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 13, 2009 9:07 pm

Khorkar wrote:
Heya stan, glad that you join the forum. Welcome....

All,

This is one of the comment from Foregasim in golfwrx.com, do you believe it?

Every Scotty Cameron production and tour putter from the Classic and Scottsman of 1993 to 1994 and all of the Cameron Titleist production and Tour putters from 1995 through 1998 or there abouts were manufactured by Bob Bettinardi in Chicago. Scotty has NEVER manufactured any of the production or tour putters that bear his name.

I have a Newport Classic 1995/96 era, does it mean that it actually made by Berttinardi? I am totally confused now.

Yes, most likely it was made by Bettinardi. But as some have pointed out, there is nothing wrong with that. I personally think the Newport Classic is just beautiful. Most of the earlier putters were made with carbon steel (and I love those). I have never gamed a Bettinardi. So am definitely interested to get one.

As mentioned in the thread, I don't think anyone disputes the quality of Cameron products or how collectible they are. But I think some took issue with so called limited items that aren;t that limited.

AOP is still selling the Master cover 1 of 300. I think it's been 5 years already. But they still have quite a few of them for sale. And I do remember that most were sold to Yahoo SC Fan Club members. So it's surprising they still have that many for sale. Just my take.

Well, once has to give credit where credit is due. It's not often you can get a COA for a billet of steel.

http://www.scottycameron.com/authentication/registrysearch.asp?registry=A010226
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Best Scotty Cameron Thread Ever   Best Scotty Cameron Thread Ever I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Best Scotty Cameron Thread Ever
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next