Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Scotty Cameron

Go down 
+2
SIMBA
Ant
6 posters
AuthorMessage
Ant
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Ant

Scotty Cameron Empty
PostSubject: Scotty Cameron   Scotty Cameron I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2010 12:07 am

Hi,

Been using my Scotty for quite a number of years. I always choked down on the grip and had been putting fine with it. Ocassionly, the end of the butt of the handle brushes my belt while making a putt.

I am thinking of cutting the grip by 1 inch to prevent that. I knew a good fellow golf who is a an excellent putter on the course. He cut his STYX putter by 1 inch and siad it s does not affect his putting.

But I also met some other golfers who advise me against making modififcation on my scotty as it may affect the balance and feel of the putter. Any one out there can help? Thanks..!
Back to top Go down
SIMBA
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

Scotty Cameron Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scotty Cameron   Scotty Cameron I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2010 12:14 am

Ant wrote:
Hi,

Been using my Scotty for quite a number of years. I always choked down on the grip and had been putting fine with it. Ocassionly, the end of the butt of the handle brushes my belt while making a putt.

I am thinking of cutting the grip by 1 inch to prevent that. I knew a good fellow golf who is a an excellent putter on the course. He cut his STYX putter by 1 inch and siad it s does not affect his putting.

But I also met some other golfers who advise me against making modififcation on my scotty as it may affect the balance and feel of the putter. Any one out there can help? Thanks..!

Look for DG man he is the man to look for. You should als pay him a visit and take a look at his scotty collection.
Back to top Go down
siaw8
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
siaw8

Scotty Cameron Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scotty Cameron   Scotty Cameron I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2010 12:15 am

Ant,

Not sure which putter u r using. But i have cut down SC putter before without affecting the balance and feel. Maybe you can consult the master in BFG about it.
Back to top Go down
Ant
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Ant

Scotty Cameron Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scotty Cameron   Scotty Cameron I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2010 12:27 pm

I am using a Newport 2 - not the current model.
Back to top Go down
Ant
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Ant

Scotty Cameron Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scotty Cameron   Scotty Cameron I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2010 12:29 pm

Lostsoul & siaw8, by the way - how to contact DG? My grip is wearing out also. So need to change grip at the same time... Thanks!
Back to top Go down
daveaha
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
daveaha

Scotty Cameron Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scotty Cameron   Scotty Cameron I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2010 1:08 pm

Ant wrote:
Lostsoul & siaw8, by the way - how to contact DG? My grip is wearing out also. So need to change grip at the same time... Thanks!

You can PM him, or check his direct contact at www.bigfishes.com
Back to top Go down
http://www.nufc.sg
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper

Scotty Cameron Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scotty Cameron   Scotty Cameron I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2010 2:01 pm

siaw8, how do you cut down a shaft and not affect balance and weight? Balance is physics, and cutting will definitely affect balance and weight.
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

Scotty Cameron Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scotty Cameron   Scotty Cameron I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2010 3:01 pm

ghoonk wrote:
siaw8, how do you cut down a shaft and not affect balance and weight? Balance is physics, and cutting will definitely affect balance and weight.

hellos...

cut down one inch and lose 6 swing weight. find a lighter grip (like grip master or black out ping), make sure you add weight to the head to compensate for the difference.

as for balance (you mean toe, face or heel balance) that will not change with a putter length.

if you want to be anal, the putter sweet spot do change when you adjust the loft and lie, or when you add weight into the hosel. unless we have the cad cam drawing of the intital design, we pin point where the sweet spot lies. in a putter design the sweet spot is usually found behind the putter face.

so if you cut your putter down from 34 to 33 inch and suppose you have a 65 g grip, you can do the following:

1. gain 2 swing weight from using a lighter grip (eg. if you use a 56g grip)

2. now that you save 2 swing weight and you can add 8 grams (4 swing weight) to the head...to do this you can add lead tape behind the face (very little change to the sweet spot and CG) or

3. down 8 grams of lead down the hosel (insignificant change to sweet spot and CG). the theory is for every 15g, you are likely to move about 1/8 of an inch towards the hosel. This again depend on the position of the hosel and the design of the putter. but having say that, when you change the the loft and lie pf your putter, you will also effectively change the putter sweet spot.

i have attached some blueprints of Zen Putters (SS and PN) thats designed at 69 lie angle...for the 71 degree lie putter the hosel position is at a different position.

again..this will only make sense for the ones anal about minute details..like myself.

Scotty Cameron 3790147427_9706027233_o

Scotty Cameron 3790960252_19322d8f5f_o

Scotty Cameron 3790148467_4b2585ebd5_o

DGman
Back to top Go down
http://www.bigfishes.com
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper

Scotty Cameron Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scotty Cameron   Scotty Cameron I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 17, 2010 4:29 pm

That's what I thought, but I didn't have that much detail on the impact of cutting shafts.

By balance, i was referring to swingweight. Face balance does not change, you are right.

Speaking of which, my TM Kia Ma Daytona Rossa needs an appointment at BFG hospital for lie adjustment, maybe even loft...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Scotty Cameron Empty
PostSubject: Re: Scotty Cameron   Scotty Cameron I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Scotty Cameron
Page 1 of 1