Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Scotty Cameron Old vs New

Go down 
+3
pushslice
enwee
marlin74
7 posters
AuthorMessage
marlin74
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Scotty Cameron Old vs New Empty
PostSubject: Scotty Cameron Old vs New   Scotty Cameron Old vs New I_icon_minitimeThu May 17, 2012 9:44 am

I have been using a Scotty Cameron Studio select Newport for about 3 years now and am very happy with it. I feel its the best putter I have ever used. Whether its balance or just pure aesthetics its No1 in my book. Recently I have been seeing a lot of talk about their new line and honestly the pics have gotten me intrigued . Anyone tried the new range ? I am keen to find out from Scotty users the comparison between the range that I m using and the new range,in terms of feel and balance and and even looks. Thanks a heap. Laughing
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

PostSubject: Re: Scotty Cameron Old vs New   Scotty Cameron Old vs New I_icon_minitimeThu May 17, 2012 9:47 am

U mean the new select?

It's made of the same material SS 303 but only the face is milled to a rougher face, making it to grip your ball better.
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: Scotty Cameron Old vs New   Scotty Cameron Old vs New I_icon_minitimeThu May 17, 2012 9:56 am

my take: the black mist finish looks very nice and the feel is softer than the previous line. Not a metallic "thwang", but more muted sound. Stock weight is a bit on lighter side for anser model, but can be addressed by adding extra weight ports

haven't tried the roll on the green yet. Only tested them at golfsmiths' putting area. Very Happy

whether it goes straighter or not still the indian hahaha
Back to top Go down
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
pocketace

PostSubject: Re: Scotty Cameron Old vs New   Scotty Cameron Old vs New I_icon_minitimeThu May 17, 2012 10:04 am

I've used both. Really liked the new milled face plus aesthetically, imho, look much better, pleasing to my eyes at address. Head cover for the new select also look slick. Plus it holes more putts for me! Feels more solid at impact. Try it!
Back to top Go down
marlin74
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Scotty Cameron Old vs New   Scotty Cameron Old vs New I_icon_minitimeThu May 17, 2012 10:06 am

I have to agree the pics of the black mist finish is indeed beautiful. I wonder if the extra milled face will actually grip the ball better. In my humble experience the older model that I use the grip seems pretty good already. I wonder if its over engineered Very Happy I do like soft feel putters though. They just seem to sound and feel better on impact .I will have to make time to go and try the new model out for feel.
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

PostSubject: Re: Scotty Cameron Old vs New   Scotty Cameron Old vs New I_icon_minitimeThu May 17, 2012 10:25 am

one thing to note the new scotty do not come with the nice divot tool anymore. Sad
Back to top Go down
Denmeister
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Denmeister

PostSubject: Re: Scotty Cameron Old vs New   Scotty Cameron Old vs New I_icon_minitimeThu May 17, 2012 12:26 pm

marlin74 wrote:
I have been using a Scotty Cameron Studio select Newport for about 3 yeow and am very happy with it. I feel its the best putter I have ever used. Whether its balance or just pure aesthetics its No1 in my book. Recently I have been seeing a lot of talk about their new line and honestly the pics have gotten me intrigued . Anyone tried the new range ? I am keen to find out from Scotty users the comparison between the range that I m using and the new range,in terms of feel and balance and and even looks. Thanks a heap. Laughing

Hi Marlin 74,

To me, putting is more about feel. finding a putter that suits you is a very difficult thing. If you have actually found one that gives you a lot of confidence, I would suggest that you stick with it.

I tried a lot of putters from mallets to blades, from new to used. I finally found one, which is a very old model. The scotty pro platinum which may be 10 years old. It goes to show that not all new stuff is better.

Just sharing.

Last edited by Denmeister on Mon May 21, 2012 6:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
marlin74
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Scotty Cameron Old vs New   Scotty Cameron Old vs New I_icon_minitimeThu May 17, 2012 12:54 pm

I have always been sucker for good looks and to be honest when I bought the scotty I am using now it was based mainly on good looks and some feedback from friends. After using it for a while I realized it as very different from the putters I have used before. The feel alone tells you that a lot of thought and research went into its construction. Over the past 2 years I have not really thought of changing putters.... till now Very Happy

denmeister : you are right about being comfortable with a putter. Its not easy to find one that's ticks all the boxes which is why I wanted some opinions on how the new line is rated against the old from different users, I am hoping Scotty Cameron was able to replicate the feel of the old series with new beauty !!!
Back to top Go down
marlin74
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Scotty Cameron Old vs New   Scotty Cameron Old vs New I_icon_minitimeThu May 17, 2012 12:55 pm

On a separate note the divot tool would be a nice addition .
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

PostSubject: Re: Scotty Cameron Old vs New   Scotty Cameron Old vs New I_icon_minitimeThu May 17, 2012 2:41 pm

Today I just used another putter other than Scotty, which feel great, not sure is it the shaft or the head or the length, sadly not for sales. Sad
Back to top Go down
marlin74
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Scotty Cameron Old vs New   Scotty Cameron Old vs New I_icon_minitimeThu May 17, 2012 3:02 pm

I tried a friend Zen putter a couple of weeks ago and was quite impressed with its feel. Not so impressed with the looks but thats just me Very Happy
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

PostSubject: Re: Scotty Cameron Old vs New   Scotty Cameron Old vs New I_icon_minitimeThu May 17, 2012 3:10 pm

marlin74 wrote:
I tried a friend Zen putter a couple of weeks ago and was quite impressed with its feel. Not so impressed with the looks but thats just me Very Happy
Zen I like the one with the newport 2 look.....but that's Eric's...
Back to top Go down
maslie
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
maslie

PostSubject: Re: Scotty Cameron Old vs New   Scotty Cameron Old vs New I_icon_minitimeSun May 20, 2012 9:55 pm

Hi all,

Just sharing, I am in the same boat with Denmeister. IMO...my oldie pro platinum really feel better compare with later scotty line. It's really hold the "quality", 10yrs old, even the grip still perform well and the cover still show no damage.
What I am wondering, how they hold up their quality with the same price from 10yrs ago?
I bought it about USD320 at FESC and yet with better marketing concept (again IMO).As custom order haven't in at our culture, Scotty offered us with lot of options on the sales floor including: Lenght / weight / Lie and Loft. All ready to try and bring home at same moment.
Perhaps good for golfer not for retailer, and this concept only last for a very short time. Sad

[img]Scotty Cameron Old vs New Img-2010[/img]
* mine with Lie F = flatter 2degrees.
Back to top Go down
Denmeister
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Denmeister

PostSubject: Re: Scotty Cameron Old vs New   Scotty Cameron Old vs New I_icon_minitimeMon May 21, 2012 6:42 am

Thanks maslie.

I recently got my hands on a used Scotty Newport 2 so that I can have a "similar" Putter to practice with at home on the putting mat. Guess what? It doesn't perform the same. Somehow, the toe just seems to want to close during my through swing, resulting in pulled shots. When using my pro platinum, the face seems to stay square a lot more easily using the same stroke.

I suspect that the difference in angle and length between the two putters may be causing this. I know that my pro platinum's lie angle is adjusted to flat, Newport 2 is slightly upright compared to the pro platinum. The overall length is about 1/4 inch longer on the pro platinum. Weight is also heavier

Again, that goes to show that it is important to keep to a putter that is serving you great. The subtle difference affect my stroke greatly.

I will have to bring it over to BFG to get the Newport 2 adjusted to see if the pro platinum feel can be replicated.

Back to top Go down
maslie
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
maslie

PostSubject: Re: Scotty Cameron Old vs New   Scotty Cameron Old vs New I_icon_minitimeThu May 31, 2012 12:57 pm

Hi Den...how is your newport2 doing after adjusted?
Dohhh...I want to share this (Perhaps many of you already know) and I just found out how to stand correct address with scotty as how they are being made, after this long and finally hit the sweat spot every time. I used to stand eyes above the ball, but scotty doesn't built that way.

http://www.scottycameron.com/studio/articles/details.aspx?id=56 (download)

Suggest you guys to try your scotty again before put it on wts section..cheerrsss
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: Scotty Cameron Old vs New   Scotty Cameron Old vs New I_icon_minitimeThu May 31, 2012 3:54 pm

is there a shop in SG that sells scotty with custom weights?
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

PostSubject: Re: Scotty Cameron Old vs New   Scotty Cameron Old vs New I_icon_minitimeThu May 31, 2012 4:04 pm

I ask before Ascuhnet....they don't customized scotty here.
Back to top Go down
audi
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
audi

PostSubject: Re: Scotty Cameron Old vs New   Scotty Cameron Old vs New I_icon_minitimeThu May 31, 2012 4:13 pm

Denmeister wrote:
marlin74 wrote:
I have been using a Scotty Cameron Studio select Newport for about 3 yeow and am very happy with it. I feel its the best putter I have ever used. Whether its balance or just pure aesthetics its No1 in my book. Recently I have been seeing a lot of talk about their new line and honestly the pics have gotten me intrigued . Anyone tried the new range ? I am keen to find out from Scotty users the comparison between the range that I m using and the new range,in terms of feel and balance and and even looks. Thanks a heap. Laughing

Hi Marlin 74,

To me, putting is more about feel. finding a putter that suits you is a very difficult thing. If you have actually found one that gives you a lot of confidence, I would suggest that you stick with it.

I tried a lot of putters from mallets to blades, from new to used. I finally found one, which is a very old model. The scotty pro platinum which may be 10 years old. It goes to show that not all new stuff is better.

Just sharing.

second that. used to game with pro platinum. very nice feel, but now i'm using newport, not bad also ehehe
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Scotty Cameron Old vs New   Scotty Cameron Old vs New I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Scotty Cameron Old vs New
Page 1 of 1