Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Pettersen Apologizes for Solheim Cup Actions

Go down 
+13
coe16arg
stickman
flashpacker
slinger
sob
jwing
pocketace
DLWL
Denmeister
Hogan
Turbo
kissthegreen
tonyj5
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
nutty88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
nutty88

Pettersen Apologizes for Solheim Cup Actions - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Pettersen Apologizes for Solheim Cup Actions   Pettersen Apologizes for Solheim Cup Actions - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 25, 2015 10:02 am

Putter length or not, it is up to your competitor to concede the putt. Imagine a sever downhill putt that has quite a lot of breaks, it doesn't mean one can hole it 100% of the time especially under pressure. We can't go charging at our competitor for lack of graciousness if the putt is not conceded really.
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

PostSubject: Re: Pettersen Apologizes for Solheim Cup Actions   Pettersen Apologizes for Solheim Cup Actions - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 25, 2015 2:00 pm

Denmeister wrote:
slinger wrote:
this should have happen if me n demister are playing against each other...

Me(after putting to 1 feet of hole): Gila Cina, can take bo?

Denmister(act blur n walk away): .......

Me:  , u really want me to putt, u pcb u..... u wait

Denmister(act blur again): smlj

after game, we still buy each other beer for the game.... even though I call him gila cina

Did gila cina win?

of cos gila cina win....

tats y next game become 3-3 liao...

kum sia
Back to top Go down
Gofnut
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Pettersen Apologizes for Solheim Cup Actions   Pettersen Apologizes for Solheim Cup Actions - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 25, 2015 2:08 pm

The rules are there for a good reason. Thus you cannot "assume" a putt is conceded unless your opponent said so. If you do not know or follow the rules, then blame yourself and not others.
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

PostSubject: Re: Pettersen Apologizes for Solheim Cup Actions   Pettersen Apologizes for Solheim Cup Actions - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 25, 2015 2:20 pm

if u guys still remember many moons ago when giaca play against Anthony kim....

1st hole, I think, giaca hit within 2 feet, Anthony follow him n hit abt same distance from hole, as giaca walked up, he ask kim " we okay", but kim act blur (but he din not walk off the green)..... giaca lan lan putt for bird, kim also bird, from then on, it sets the tone for the following holes

I do not know what happen before the 17th hole and that davies was appalled by pettersen showed that there is some measure of understanding between the 2 teams or among the players......

however, if I was Lee, I would ask my opponent if they concede the putt (to me, whats so difficult to ask "can give bo")

but hor, if I was pettersen, I would not have walked off the green with my teammate and then penalised my opponent for not putting out...that shows that they were looking to find faults which is not in the spirit of the game

if I was Lee..... I would have asked, as simple as that

if I was pettersen, I would let it slide but I would pull Lee aside and told her off privately....

jmho only......

flower
Back to top Go down
Denmeister
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Denmeister

PostSubject: Re: Pettersen Apologizes for Solheim Cup Actions   Pettersen Apologizes for Solheim Cup Actions - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 25, 2015 2:34 pm

slinger wrote:
Denmeister wrote:
slinger wrote:
this should have happen if me n demister are playing against each other...

Me(after putting to 1 feet of hole): Gila Cina, can take bo?

Denmister(act blur n walk away): .......

Me:  , u really want me to putt, u pcb u..... u wait

Denmister(act blur again): smlj

after game, we still buy each other beer for the game.... even though I call him gila cina

Did gila cina win?

of cos gila cina win....

tats y next game become 3-3 liao...

kum sia

Waaaa..... so touched..... you give me 2-2, and now after this lucky win, you know that I definitely need more strokes from you..... ok la, since you so generous, I will accept the 2 additional strokes!

Ali get tok gor zhai must!

Thanks for the post game beers, they tasted unusually sweet..... yum yum!
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Pettersen Apologizes for Solheim Cup Actions   Pettersen Apologizes for Solheim Cup Actions - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 25, 2015 3:20 pm

slinger wrote:
............. blah ... blah ... blah ...

however, if I was Lee, I would ask my opponent if they concede the putt (to me, whats so difficult to ask "can give bo")

but hor, if I was pettersen, I would not have walked off the green with my teammate and then penalised my opponent for not putting out...that shows that they were looking to find faults which is not in the spirit of the game

if I was Lee..... I would have asked, as simple as that

if I was pettersen, I would let it slide but I would pull Lee aside and told her off privately....

That's what I said earlier, making assumption could be the mother of all failure ... In fact both are in the wrong ...Lesson learned for this Solheim cup rookie ...

Then again, (if you watch the video on youtube carefully) after the birdie-putt missed by Alison, the Europe players (both Charley & Suzanne) walked away from the green and towards the 18th tee box ... This was a good signal to Lee that they conceded the putt. Otherwise, both should not walk away and stay put until Alison finished off her par putt ... From this perspective, Suzanne was perceived as being ungraceful and may be playing "dirty trick" against the USA Team just because of winning one point ... Charley cried later because she in fact has the "intention" to concede the putt but since her partner said otherwise, she kept quiet ...

FYI, no one should walk away from the green if your playing partner has not finished his/her put ... Otherwise, it is considered as absolutely lacks golf etiquette.

Even Hall of Famer, Laura Davis (a British) thought what Suzanne has done is incorrect in such a scenario ...
Back to top Go down
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
pocketace

PostSubject: Re: Pettersen Apologizes for Solheim Cup Actions   Pettersen Apologizes for Solheim Cup Actions - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 02, 2015 9:26 am

http://www.golfchannel.com/news/randall-mell/pettersen-apologizes-what-could-she-have-done-differently/

Looks like sorry is not enough for Randall Mell
Based on the article, he suggested that Pettersen should overlook the competitor's breach of rules (scooping up the ball before it was being conceded) in the spirit of the etiquette of the game

My opinion is, that's pure BS. The person who had a rule infringement was Alison Lee and the (U.S.) media turned it into a Pettersen problem. Pettersen said sorry and apparently it's not good enough... Tsk tsk tsk 

My view is Pettersen has done whatever she could. If the American market is critical for her livelihood, then kowtow and beg for (more) forgiveness and say she would overlook Alison Lee's rule infringement of given a second chance. If she values her own principles, then be prepared to see out her career in the respectable (though not so lucrative) European Ladies Tour instead
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pettersen Apologizes for Solheim Cup Actions   Pettersen Apologizes for Solheim Cup Actions - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Pettersen Apologizes for Solheim Cup Actions
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2