Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Pettersen Apologizes for Solheim Cup Actions

Go down 
+13
coe16arg
stickman
flashpacker
slinger
sob
jwing
pocketace
DLWL
Denmeister
Hogan
Turbo
kissthegreen
tonyj5
17 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
tonyj5
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

Pettersen Apologizes for Solheim Cup Actions Empty
PostSubject: Pettersen Apologizes for Solheim Cup Actions   Pettersen Apologizes for Solheim Cup Actions I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 21, 2015 11:23 pm

It was an incredible weekend of women's golf. A huge congratulations goes out to Team USA for winning the 2015 Solheim Cup. 

http://www.tonyslpgareport.com/2015/09/suzann-pettersen-apologizes-for-solheim.html
Back to top Go down
kissthegreen
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
kissthegreen

PostSubject: Re: Pettersen Apologizes for Solheim Cup Actions   Pettersen Apologizes for Solheim Cup Actions I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 21, 2015 11:50 pm

Pettersen was indeed disgraceful... Absolutely gutted with her lack of sportsmanship..
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Pettersen Apologizes for Solheim Cup Actions   Pettersen Apologizes for Solheim Cup Actions I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2015 9:52 am

Even before this incident, I dislike her as I find her rather arrogant and unfriendly ... It is a mistake that Nike sponsors her. She does not have the qualities of a brand ambassador ... At least that is what I thought ...
Back to top Go down
Hogan
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
Hogan

PostSubject: Re: Pettersen Apologizes for Solheim Cup Actions   Pettersen Apologizes for Solheim Cup Actions I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2015 12:15 pm

Technically right, socially wrong. That's golf. But it's still a graceful game by and large.
Back to top Go down
Denmeister
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Denmeister

PostSubject: Re: Pettersen Apologizes for Solheim Cup Actions   Pettersen Apologizes for Solheim Cup Actions I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2015 6:07 pm

Did she break any rules? Any etiquette issues with her not conceding the putt? 

I don't think so.

Lee ASSUMED that the putt was conceded but it was not.  

In professionl sports, no one plays to be second.  All of them play to win while adhering to the rules and etiquette of the game.  Gamesmanship is part and parcel of the game. If Lee can't accept that it was her responsibility to putt out unless she was verbally told by her opponent that the putt was conceded, then I think she is the one who is in breech of the rules and etiquette of the game.
Back to top Go down
DLWL
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
DLWL

PostSubject: Re: Pettersen Apologizes for Solheim Cup Actions   Pettersen Apologizes for Solheim Cup Actions I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2015 6:56 pm

I dun understand whats the big fuss?

the American made a mistake and the European had to apologise?
Back to top Go down
kissthegreen
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
kissthegreen

PostSubject: Re: Pettersen Apologizes for Solheim Cup Actions   Pettersen Apologizes for Solheim Cup Actions I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2015 7:19 pm

Everybody understood the rules so this was clearly never about the rules..  It's about the sportsmanship and spirit of the cross-continental games like Solheim, President Cups. We are not talking about an LPGA or PGA tournament.  If Pettersen is so right, why does she need to release an apology after the way that she stolidly defend her decision at the post-match conference?? Either she must have self-reflected or someone influèntial (e.g. Sponsor) who is more emotionally intelligent than her must have simply reminded her the sensible approach... If this is so technically right, why the controversy? Remember, she , just like most sportsmen, are paid by the people who pay to watch her play and who pay her payor with the day-to-day merchandise.
Back to top Go down
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
pocketace

PostSubject: Re: Pettersen Apologizes for Solheim Cup Actions   Pettersen Apologizes for Solheim Cup Actions I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2015 7:36 pm

IThere are always two sides to every story

I read that Lee was told by her own team mate not to scoop the ball up but she did anyway

Anyway, right or wrong does not matter
Perception matters

That's life
Apologise, move on, close the chapter

Kudos to American team for the great come back 
Perhaps they built on the incident and spurred themselves and played their socks off

That, I respect
Back to top Go down
Denmeister
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Denmeister

PostSubject: Re: Pettersen Apologizes for Solheim Cup Actions   Pettersen Apologizes for Solheim Cup Actions I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2015 8:04 pm

I personally feel that she does not need to apologize for the incident.  

To win in sports, we don't wait for a win to be handed over to us in a silver platter.  Sports is the only true activity that victory is achieved through excelling in it. 

Lee is the one who is unsportsmanlike by crying over her mistake and pointing fingers at someone else but herself.

Don't make Suzanne the fallgirl just because she is not well liked by the golfing fraternity.

If she was pressured to apologize because her sponsors were worried about being negatively associated with her, I will be truly disappointed.
Back to top Go down
kissthegreen
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
kissthegreen

PostSubject: Re: Pettersen Apologizes for Solheim Cup Actions   Pettersen Apologizes for Solheim Cup Actions I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2015 8:12 pm

Agreed with pocketface
Back to top Go down
jwing
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
jwing

PostSubject: Re: Pettersen Apologizes for Solheim Cup Actions   Pettersen Apologizes for Solheim Cup Actions I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2015 9:56 pm

If u watch the video, it's both their action of walking off the green once the birdies putt was missed.....
Back to top Go down
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
pocketace

PostSubject: Re: Pettersen Apologizes for Solheim Cup Actions   Pettersen Apologizes for Solheim Cup Actions I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2015 10:03 pm

I think the problem is with the historians

They kept reminding us Golf is a GENTLEMEN game

These days ladies also play

But nobody say anything about Golf being a LADIES game as well

Haiz...
Back to top Go down
sob
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
sob

PostSubject: Re: Pettersen Apologizes for Solheim Cup Actions   Pettersen Apologizes for Solheim Cup Actions I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 22, 2015 10:24 pm

Denmeister wrote:
I personally feel that she does not need to apologize for the incident.  

To win in sports, we don't wait for a win to be handed over to us in a silver platter.  Sports is the only true activity that victory is achieved through excelling in it. 

Lee is the one who is unsportsmanlike by crying over her mistake and pointing fingers at someone else but herself.

Don't make Suzanne the fallgirl just because she is not well liked by the golfing fraternity.

If she was pressured to apologize because her sponsors were worried about being negatively associated with her, I will be truly disappointed.
I think to be fair to Alison, she did not made a big hoo ha about the incident.
She accepted that she made a rookie mistake and played well in the afternoon to win a point.
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

PostSubject: Re: Pettersen Apologizes for Solheim Cup Actions   Pettersen Apologizes for Solheim Cup Actions I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2015 12:49 pm

this should have happen if me n demister are playing against each other...

Me(after putting to 1 feet of hole): Gila Cina, can take bo?

Denmister(act blur n walk away): .......

Me: , u really want me to putt, u pcb u..... u wait

Denmister(act blur again): smlj

after game, we still buy each other beer for the game.... even though I call him gila cina
Back to top Go down
Denmeister
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Denmeister

PostSubject: Re: Pettersen Apologizes for Solheim Cup Actions   Pettersen Apologizes for Solheim Cup Actions I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2015 3:24 pm

slinger wrote:
this should have happen if me n demister are playing against each other...

Me(after putting to 1 feet of hole): Gila Cina, can take bo?

Denmister(act blur n walk away): .......

Me:  , u really want me to putt, u pcb u..... u wait

Denmister(act blur again): smlj

after game, we still buy each other beer for the game.... even though I call him gila cina

Did gila cina win?
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Pettersen Apologizes for Solheim Cup Actions   Pettersen Apologizes for Solheim Cup Actions I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2015 4:04 pm

This was how the saga unfolded ... Note the bold red words ... This maybe intentional & possibly a trick on the part of Pettersen (sly??) ... Lesson learned ... Making assumption could be the mother of all failure!

In the final fourball match carried over from Saturday, Pettersen and Hull were all square with two holes to play against Brittany Lincicome and Alison Lee.
Lee missed a birdie putt to win the 17th and, after the ball finished two feet behind the hole, scooped it up with her putter thinking it either had been, or was certain to be, conceded.
Hull gave that impression as she was already walking across the front of the green towards the 18th tee, but Pettersen said they had not conceded the putt and therefore won the hole.
European captain Carin Koch approached the match referee on the 18th to ask if there was anything she could do and was told they could concede the hole, but opted not to after Pettersen insisted she was not going to concede Lee's putt.
Hull, 19, and 20-year-old rookie Lee were reduced to tears as heated discussions took place around the green, with visiting captain Juli Inkster wanting to lead some of her team in a chant of "Europeans suck", before they opted for "Class, style, U-S-A."
Asked if it was possible to change the result of the match, Inkster said: "It's a done deal and you know what, we don't want it now. I have never seen anything like it in my career. It's just not right. You just don't do that to your peers. It's disrespectful.
''I saw Charley walking off and Suzann kind of turned her back and then Suzann said she did not give it to her (Lee)."
Commentating for Sky Sports 4, 12-time Solheim Cup player Dame Laura Davies said she was "disgusted" by Pettersen's behaviour.
"We have got our best player, Charley Hull, who has just won a point and she is in floods of tears. That tells you the wrong thing was done," Davies said. " How Suzann can justify that I will never, ever know. We are all fierce competitors but ultimately it's unfair. We have to play week in, week out together and you do not do something like that to a fellow pro.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/wires/pa/article-3241878/Solheim-Cup-stars-Alison-Lee-Charley-Hull-tears-fourballs-row.html#ixzz3mXxFQY6U
Back to top Go down
Denmeister
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Denmeister

PostSubject: Re: Pettersen Apologizes for Solheim Cup Actions   Pettersen Apologizes for Solheim Cup Actions I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2015 5:51 pm

By them walking off the green, did they verbally concede the putt?
Back to top Go down
flashpacker
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Pettersen Apologizes for Solheim Cup Actions   Pettersen Apologizes for Solheim Cup Actions I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 23, 2015 8:44 pm

Did the US girl assume somebody said something?
scratch
Back to top Go down
stickman
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Pettersen Apologizes for Solheim Cup Actions   Pettersen Apologizes for Solheim Cup Actions I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 24, 2015 11:05 am

Denmeister wrote:
By them walking off the green, did they verbally concede the putt?

That was the part that I also asked, but along this line "By them walking away off the green, did the competitors assume that the putt was conceded as a non verbal concede"

What about when a player smash a driver into the woods and if he thinks that he may have lost his ball and wanted to hit a provisional ball, must he verbally tell his competitors that he is hitting a provisional ball? Can he just keep quiet and just wave his pro ball in front his competitor's eyes?

What about when a player on closer inspection of his ball and notice that it is not playable and he takes out a new ball to replace it. So he takes out his new ball and only seem to suggest that he wanted to play a new ball but did not verbally inform his competitors? 

What about when a competitor on knowing that his opponent already has injured his hand/wrist and at the same time he must hit a ball that is resting on a tree root. To show grace or ettiqutte, can this competitor allow his opponent lift his ball and place it on a nice flat green so that his opponent would not further injures his hand?

Coming back to the game, what would happen in a hypothetical case if Suzzann did agree to concede and as a result loose the cup!!! I am interested to hear how her teams mates would react to that. Would they say (not that they are saying it), why didn't you use the rules to your advantage?

I suppose it is important to show grace and ettiqutte in a competition and still within the confines of the rules. Example. A runner saw a competitor falls on the track but she continued her race and won (she did not break any rules or compromise her chance to win). But she went back to the track and assisted the competitor to complete her race and that is grace during competition and within the rules.

This has been an unfortunate event and my heart goes to both of them who are caught in this tight spot.

The above examples are just illustrations with no direct bearing to the topic.
Back to top Go down
coe16arg
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
coe16arg

PostSubject: Re: Pettersen Apologizes for Solheim Cup Actions   Pettersen Apologizes for Solheim Cup Actions I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 24, 2015 11:40 am

IMHO, those who are arguing about rules are missing the point altogether. It is about graciousness and etiquette...and classiness. The "gentleman" spirit or integrity has always been the basis of this sport that we play (and teach our junior golfers). I don't know of any other sport that the player calls his own penalty and penalises himself. I for one will be very sad to see competitive golfers play the sport like say how football is played..."diving" to get a penalty from the referee in order to win the game.
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Pettersen Apologizes for Solheim Cup Actions   Pettersen Apologizes for Solheim Cup Actions I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 24, 2015 3:19 pm

coe16arg wrote:
IMHO, those who are arguing about rules are missing the point altogether. It is about graciousness and etiquette...and classiness. The "gentleman" spirit or integrity has always been the basis of this sport that we play (and teach our junior golfers). I don't know of any other sport that the player calls his own penalty and penalises himself. I for one will be very sad to see competitive golfers play the sport like say how football is played..."diving" to get a penalty from the referee in order to win the game.
Exactly my sentiment ... Unlike other contact sports like Rugby, Soccer, etc ... In a game of golf be it a competition or a social game, we have to have class and grace ... 

This controversy appeared to spur the team USA to perform even better in the final single match day and brought home the Solheim Cup with finesse and grace ... 

cheers
Back to top Go down
DLWL
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
DLWL

PostSubject: Re: Pettersen Apologizes for Solheim Cup Actions   Pettersen Apologizes for Solheim Cup Actions I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 24, 2015 6:50 pm

But doesn't this goes to show that the US players lack graciousness to admit their own mistake? 

I feel as if they are demanding that Europe be gracious to them in the "name" of the golf. But when they themselves are the ones who are technically at fault.

It will definitely be nice of pettersen to give the putt, but it should not be demanded. If even if it weren't given it wouldn't be a big deal and Lee wldve putt it. But the problem is not that pettersen didn't give the putt, but that Lee made a mistake and expects to get away Scott free. 

Feel that pettersen is being made a scape goat of the whole incident and being pressured to apologise.
Back to top Go down
kissthegreen
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
kissthegreen

PostSubject: Re: Pettersen Apologizes for Solheim Cup Actions   Pettersen Apologizes for Solheim Cup Actions I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 24, 2015 10:06 pm

US did implicitly "demanded" the graciousness and Pettersen was explicitly ungracious. 
If she is righteous and so full of herself, she should be under no pressure to apologize. That fact she did later and the fact the the commenters and tour players, including Laura Davies, felt appalled, That says a lot. Look, like some of said, this was never about the technicalities..
Back to top Go down
peace2903
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Pettersen Apologizes for Solheim Cup Actions   Pettersen Apologizes for Solheim Cup Actions I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 25, 2015 8:22 am

Hmmm... How can be not about the technicalities? It started from there, if people just follow the rules, it would not be an issue. Really, it's a lesson learnt for the rookies! This is a tournament, not a friendly weekend game!
Back to top Go down
neutralgolfer
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
neutralgolfer

PostSubject: Re: Pettersen Apologizes for Solheim Cup Actions   Pettersen Apologizes for Solheim Cup Actions I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 25, 2015 9:07 am

Normally in matchplay, putter length is "gimme" (unspoken practice among the pro). In this instance is 2 feet or less, is within putter length I suppose.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Pettersen Apologizes for Solheim Cup Actions   Pettersen Apologizes for Solheim Cup Actions I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Pettersen Apologizes for Solheim Cup Actions
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next