Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Golf coach for total beginner

Go down 
+8
nremda
NY
Jw2827
Turbo
chien
vinjess
tom201296
antGolf
12 posters
AuthorMessage
antGolf
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

Golf coach for total beginner Empty
PostSubject: Golf coach for total beginner   Golf coach for total beginner I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 20, 2015 11:17 am

Managed to get girlfriend interested in Golf.  I bought her a set of used PRGR ladies club. She said she will pay for her own lessons. She intends to join a group of 6 so that the coaching fees will be lower. She stays in the East. Her preferred location will be at Punggol East range. Any coach to recommend?
Back to top Go down
tom201296
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golf coach for total beginner   Golf coach for total beginner I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 20, 2015 12:21 pm

antGolf wrote:
Managed to get girlfriend interested in Golf.  I bought her a set of used PRGR ladies club. She said she will pay for her own lessons. She intends to join a group of 6 so that the coaching fees will be lower. She stays in the East. Her preferred location will be at Punggol East range. Any coach to recommend?
You can consult Daniel  Chang 9853 3613. He is now at punggol range. Was coach by him years back with my wife. In my opinion, good. You can quote reference Thomas n Cora.
Back to top Go down
antGolf
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golf coach for total beginner   Golf coach for total beginner I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 20, 2015 12:23 pm

tom201296 wrote:
antGolf wrote:
You can consult Daniel  Chang 9853 3613. He is now at punggol range. Was coach by him years back with my wife. In my opinion, good. You can quote reference Thomas n Cora.

Thank you for the recommendation.
Back to top Go down
vinjess
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
vinjess

PostSubject: Re: Golf coach for total beginner   Golf coach for total beginner I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 20, 2015 1:43 pm

a group of 6 you wun learn much. Would be better to be in pair or 3.
Back to top Go down
chien
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
chien

PostSubject: Re: Golf coach for total beginner   Golf coach for total beginner I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 20, 2015 2:05 pm

I agree..

Made the same bad mistake many years ago when started out. Joined a group of 8 cos it was cheaper. On hindsight a total waste of time and picked up many bad habits and incorrect swing. Unlike other sports, Golf is a much more technical game which just like Violin, you gotta learn it correctly right form the start..

Pay more to learn individually if possible.  One solid session at $70 would go a long way..
Back to top Go down
vinjess
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
vinjess

PostSubject: Re: Golf coach for total beginner   Golf coach for total beginner I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 20, 2015 2:38 pm

If wanna have a good base, go for small grp. Of cos the fee will not be small.
Back to top Go down
antGolf
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golf coach for total beginner   Golf coach for total beginner I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 20, 2015 3:29 pm

I found her a coach in a group of 3. Hopefully she will learn well..
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Golf coach for total beginner   Golf coach for total beginner I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 20, 2015 4:49 pm

Ideally one-on-one is the most effective for beginner ...
Back to top Go down
Jw2827
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golf coach for total beginner   Golf coach for total beginner I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 16, 2015 3:58 pm

My coach is Johanis (Joe) from Sembawang. 

After 6 lessons with a pro at ponggol east, I was only hitting 60+m on the range with a 6 iron. This was woefully inadequate for playing on the course. 

Went on to take a further 10 lessons with Joe at Sembawang. Before I finish my 10 lessons, I was regularly hitting 105 -115 m with a 7 iron. My driver can drop at 150m consistently. 

To improve, I went on to take a further 10 lessons. Now in second set of 10 lessons.

While all my lessons were 1 to 1 and cost much more than group lessons, I found they were worth every cent. 

Joe is the guy. Btw I am a lady golfer.
Back to top Go down
NY
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golf coach for total beginner   Golf coach for total beginner I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 16, 2015 6:00 pm

Jw2827 wrote:
My coach is Johanis (Joe) from Sembawang. 

After 6 lessons with a pro at ponggol east, I was only hitting 60+m on the range with a 6 iron. This was woefully inadequate for playing on the course. 

Went on to take a further 10 lessons with Joe at Sembawang. Before I finish my 10 lessons, I was regularly hitting 105 -115 m with a 7 iron. My driver can drop at 150m consistently. 

To improve, I went on to take a further 10 lessons. Now in second set of 10 lessons.

While all my lessons were 1 to 1 and cost much more than group lessons, I found they were worth every cent. 

Joe is the guy. Btw I am a lady golfer.
Joe is no longer there at Sembawang driving range after renovation.  I oso wanted to know where he is? Good coach
Back to top Go down
nremda
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
nremda

PostSubject: Re: Golf coach for total beginner   Golf coach for total beginner I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 16, 2015 7:49 pm

Johanis is still at Sembawang but he only does coaching on the weekends due to other commitments.
Back to top Go down
NY
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golf coach for total beginner   Golf coach for total beginner I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 16, 2015 8:31 pm

Thanks for the info Nremda.
Back to top Go down
neutralgolfer
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
neutralgolfer

PostSubject: Re: Golf coach for total beginner   Golf coach for total beginner I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2015 10:23 am

Beginner course is not so important, what they teach are very basic like how to grip, how to swing, etc. The rest are self practices at the range. Nonetheless getting a good coach is very important because you will learn the correct basics.

Recommend 3-6 months later get another coach for 1-to-1 intermediate lessons.

Cheers!
Back to top Go down
Golf noob
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Golf noob

PostSubject: Re: Golf coach for total beginner   Golf coach for total beginner I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2015 11:54 am

chien wrote:
I agree..

Made the same bad mistake many years ago when started out. Joined a group of 8 cos it was cheaper. On hindsight a total waste of time and picked up many bad habits and incorrect swing. Unlike other sports, Golf is a much more technical game which just like Violin, you gotta learn it correctly right form the start..

Pay more to learn individually if possible.  One solid session at $70 would go a long way..
Agree on that... If she's already keen/interested better to spend a little bit more than to pick up bad habits future down the road have to tweak the swing here n there than found out it still goes back to the fundamental/basics problem. Punggol range IMHO maybe u can try Ian Sim (ever saw him practising / coaching) his swing SOLID . Others IMHO no comments.
Back to top Go down
Hogan
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
Hogan

PostSubject: Re: Golf coach for total beginner   Golf coach for total beginner I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 17, 2015 3:49 pm

If you already can swing pretty well, why don't you teach your GF the basics first? That will be a great way to start. And don't worry about distance or picking up bad habits. As long as she gets the fundamentals right, which I think you know like the grip and swing sequence, she should be fine.
Of course, if you don't have the time then she needs a golf instructor.
Back to top Go down
judith
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golf coach for total beginner   Golf coach for total beginner I_icon_minitimeSun Jan 10, 2016 3:37 pm

good thread. very useful for beginners
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Golf coach for total beginner   Golf coach for total beginner I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Golf coach for total beginner
Page 1 of 1