Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

More then Just new in Forum, New to golf, total blank.

Go down 
+7
weesern
Technospaz
Roystonnn
shaugn
Uncle Lau
daveaha
TeD
11 posters
AuthorMessage
TeD
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

More then Just new in Forum, New to golf, total blank. Empty
PostSubject: More then Just new in Forum, New to golf, total blank.   More then Just new in Forum, New to golf, total blank. I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2009 5:20 pm

Hihi,

Looking for help in picking up the game/ sports/ hobby/ or passion!
Been to STAR GOLF ACADEMY, have to choose my Own coach, so many, how to choose?
Or where can I go to find the right one.
and worst, go pro shop they say buy a set forst then go lessons, dun wait.
Haiz. I'll so confused scratch
Back to top Go down
daveaha
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
daveaha

PostSubject: Re: More then Just new in Forum, New to golf, total blank.   More then Just new in Forum, New to golf, total blank. I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2009 5:31 pm

Welcome bro.
I was from stargolf too, but personally I think there're better golf coach. Some of the members in this forum are pro/coach too.

Anyway,
When I was taking my lesson in SG, I borrowed their iron(s) first. Only towards few final lessons I bought my own beginner set. I think you better speak with your coach/pro first about getting the first ever set for you... I changed mine after 6 months using my first set.

Good luck !
Back to top Go down
http://www.nufc.sg
TeD
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: More then Just new in Forum, New to golf, total blank.   More then Just new in Forum, New to golf, total blank. I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2009 5:40 pm

Oh man, thanks for the fast replies!
You make my day,
but for better coach, any one with reviews?
Maybe PM would be nice if intro here to public is senstive.
Thanks!
Back to top Go down
Uncle Lau
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: More then Just new in Forum, New to golf, total blank.   More then Just new in Forum, New to golf, total blank. I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2009 5:54 pm

Welcome Ted ! Uncle welcome you with both hands.......remember our mission here .....hehehe Laughing

You will enjoy here with lots of friendly golf kakis and improved your game thru the years.

Remember don't wear Rollie to play golf !

Cheers !

Beer
Back to top Go down
shaugn
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
shaugn

PostSubject: Re: More then Just new in Forum, New to golf, total blank.   More then Just new in Forum, New to golf, total blank. I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2009 5:58 pm

I wouldnt worry too much about getting your first golf set yet. Frankly, all you need is a couple of irons, usually a 7, 9 or PW. Beginners tend not to stray into the longer irons or woods till a little later when they're more comfortable with the swing motion. Perhaps you can try picking up a used set from one of the local dealers or even buy loose clubs.

Definitely start out with a coach if you can. Welcome to the forum!
Back to top Go down
Roystonnn
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: More then Just new in Forum, New to golf, total blank.   More then Just new in Forum, New to golf, total blank. I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2009 6:08 pm

Agree with shaugn.. what you need for a start is just a few clubs, the shorter ones.
After you get a hang of it, you can start playing at 9hole executive course to hype up your interest! (it's still fun though I just play with 7, 9 iron and a putter - of cos with fun buddies)

Best if someone could give you... (like Mr J Choo who gave me a 3wood long time ago)
I have free clubs from frends and I have passed it on to my frend who is interested in golf.
You are slightly late. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Uncle Lau
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: More then Just new in Forum, New to golf, total blank.   More then Just new in Forum, New to golf, total blank. I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2009 6:12 pm

Bro ! I need a 52 wedge, could you pas to me ?

geek
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: More then Just new in Forum, New to golf, total blank.   More then Just new in Forum, New to golf, total blank. I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2009 6:14 pm

Welcome to Golf Republic Smile
Back to top Go down
Roystonnn
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: More then Just new in Forum, New to golf, total blank.   More then Just new in Forum, New to golf, total blank. I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2009 6:14 pm

I only got 1... CG12.. hehe.

Tot senior golfer like you should have many sets of clubs wor.. Razz
Back to top Go down
Uncle Lau
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: More then Just new in Forum, New to golf, total blank.   More then Just new in Forum, New to golf, total blank. I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2009 6:19 pm

Errrrrrr......1 set at NSRCC, 1 set at home, 1 set at my xmm place and 1 set just shot of a 52 wedge. This set will put at my Bro-in-Law place in Bishan....... Very Happy

Btw don't lend people your clubs...remember Uncle Ah Tee True Singapore horror story.... pale

Last edited by Uncle Lau on Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
TeD
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: More then Just new in Forum, New to golf, total blank.   More then Just new in Forum, New to golf, total blank. I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2009 7:13 pm

OH man,
Thanks all for the advise.
I comfirm taking classes to kick start instead of self learning.
Learn the basics like a baby/ clean sheet of paper
Back to top Go down
TeD
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: More then Just new in Forum, New to golf, total blank.   More then Just new in Forum, New to golf, total blank. I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2009 9:13 pm

Should I try it with borrowed club at the range first? Any comments?
Any thing I should at least buy before the 1st lessons?
Back to top Go down
TeD
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: More then Just new in Forum, New to golf, total blank.   More then Just new in Forum, New to golf, total blank. I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2009 9:20 pm

shoes?
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

PostSubject: Re: More then Just new in Forum, New to golf, total blank.   More then Just new in Forum, New to golf, total blank. I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2009 9:49 pm

proshop ask u to buy first so they can make ur money... I think some coaches have extra clubs you can use...

First of all, what makes you want to learn golf??

What to get before the first lesson??

Gloves - so u dun get too many blisters.

Range card
Back to top Go down
tronos
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: More then Just new in Forum, New to golf, total blank.   More then Just new in Forum, New to golf, total blank. I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2009 10:12 pm

stargolf got their own clubs...a bit old but still usable (not much change in iron designs). Try try a few types first (they got Big Bertha to an old heavy blade, graphite and steel shafts)....their driver/wood selection however is rather outdated. Anyway they will be teaching u 7 iron for the first few weeks. Shoe not so important at first, glove definitely yes.
Back to top Go down
sunny
Greens Committee Member
Greens Committee Member
sunny

PostSubject: Re: More then Just new in Forum, New to golf, total blank.   More then Just new in Forum, New to golf, total blank. I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2009 10:33 pm

if you have to learn in stargolf, i would recommend Mike (Md Ashiok). He's a good coach.

I would think it is a better idea to buy a used club at places like creative golf. They sell a few loose clubs for cheap price.

I dunno about others, but when i started out, i was pretty inconsistent and need need to use back the "same" club. If my fav club at stargolf is 'on loan', i would have to choose another which could be longer or shorter. That said, i will either top or duff for at least a good 10 balls before 'adjusting' to the length.
Back to top Go down
Http://thescarletibis.wordpress.com
Ken_
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Ken_

PostSubject: Re: More then Just new in Forum, New to golf, total blank.   More then Just new in Forum, New to golf, total blank. I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2009 11:05 pm

Lots of great advice from the folks here...

TeD, I would also recommend that you consider picking this up with a good friend - it helps a lot to have someone you enjoy playing with to spar with you. It took me quite a while to hit the ball decently enough to have the confidence to go to the greens, and it helped that I had some colleagues who took up the game at the same time.

One of my kakis had lessons before, but stopped because his friends stopped. He re-started together with us, and it made a big difference...

Enjoy your journey to the wonderful world of golf! Wink
Back to top Go down
Roystonnn
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: More then Just new in Forum, New to golf, total blank.   More then Just new in Forum, New to golf, total blank. I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 29, 2009 2:21 am

Uncle Lau wrote:
Errrrrrr......1 set at NSRCC, 1 set at home, 1 set at my xmm place and 1 set just shot of a 52 wedge. This set will put at mt Bro-in-Law place in Bishan....... Very Happy

Btw don't lend people your clubs...remember Uncle Ah Tee True Singapore horror story.... pale

Bery rich lehhhh..
1 set at NSRCC, I can understand. So convenient to go there empty handed.
1 set at Bro-in-Law place in Bishan, I can understand. So convenient to go Bishan Range empty handed.

But, 1 set at xmm place.. what place is that? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Gray
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Gray

PostSubject: Re: More then Just new in Forum, New to golf, total blank.   More then Just new in Forum, New to golf, total blank. I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 29, 2009 8:18 am

Uncle Lau wrote:
Errrrrrr......1 set at NSRCC, 1 set at home, 1 set at my xmm place and 1 set just shot of a 52 wedge. This set will put at mt Bro-in-Law place in Bishan....... Very Happy

Ya, I agree....Two weeks ago, I borrowed my friend's driver to test. Two weeks later, the driver still with me....Think I gonna hold for another 2 weeks......wahwahwa...
Back to top Go down
Gray
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Gray

PostSubject: Re: More then Just new in Forum, New to golf, total blank.   More then Just new in Forum, New to golf, total blank. I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 29, 2009 8:20 am

Roystonnn wrote:

Bery rich lehhhh..
1 set at NSRCC, I can understand. So convenient to go there empty handed.
1 set at Bro-in-Law place in Bishan, I can understand. So convenient to go Bishan Range empty handed.

But, 1 set at xmm place.. what place is that? Very Happy

1 set in XMM place so that after 18 holes can whack the 19th hole Stretcher
Back to top Go down
TeD
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: More then Just new in Forum, New to golf, total blank.   More then Just new in Forum, New to golf, total blank. I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 29, 2009 9:19 am

Thanks all!

xmm= Xiao Mei Mei?
LOL
Back to top Go down
Roystonnn
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: More then Just new in Forum, New to golf, total blank.   More then Just new in Forum, New to golf, total blank. I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 29, 2009 10:20 am

Gray wrote:
Uncle Lau wrote:

Ya, I agree....Two weeks ago, I borrowed my friend's driver to test. Two weeks later, the driver still with me....Think I gonna hold for another 2 weeks......wahwahwa...

Can I borrow for the 5th week? Very Happy
Or is your frend UL? (the driver at XMM hse?)
Back to top Go down
Uncle Lau
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: More then Just new in Forum, New to golf, total blank.   More then Just new in Forum, New to golf, total blank. I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 29, 2009 3:53 pm

1 golf set at GF house so can go range or on the course together mah.....so sweet.....what !!!! you all Jealous ah ????

Wink
Back to top Go down
TeD
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: More then Just new in Forum, New to golf, total blank.   More then Just new in Forum, New to golf, total blank. I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 29, 2009 7:47 pm

sunny wrote:
if you have to learn in stargolf, i would recommend Mike (Md Ashiok). He's a good coach.

I would think it is a better idea to buy a used club at places like creative golf. They sell a few loose clubs for cheap price.

I dunno about others, but when i started out, i was pretty inconsistent and need need to use back the "same" club. If my fav club at stargolf is 'on loan', i would have to choose another which could be longer or shorter. That said, i will either top or duff for at least a good 10 balls before 'adjusting' to the length.

Not really have to learn there. any other place to recommend?
Thanks
Back to top Go down
TeD
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: More then Just new in Forum, New to golf, total blank.   More then Just new in Forum, New to golf, total blank. I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 29, 2009 7:53 pm

sunny wrote:

Not really have to learn there. any other place to recommend?
Thanks
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: More then Just new in Forum, New to golf, total blank.   More then Just new in Forum, New to golf, total blank. I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

More then Just new in Forum, New to golf, total blank.
Page 1 of 1