Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What Balls Do you Use?

Go down 
+27
ghoonk
Aaltl
Duval_S
nrafee
smallhorse
asahi
kooky
star
Technospaz
mervyntan
slinger
eiji
jtek
JohnBGLee
TigaWood
Titleist
Agumon
Birdman
desmondwong
daveaha
golfdiva
jaketang
ditt
JL_chong
mUAr_cHEe
S70B
pocketace
31 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
nrafee
Caddy
Caddy
nrafee

What Balls Do you Use? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What Balls Do you Use?   What Balls Do you Use? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 16, 2010 11:23 am

Birdman wrote:
Star, I've heard a couple of different opinions on this. Some say to stick to one type of ball for consistency as you say which isn't a bad idea. One less factor to blame for a bad game.

Personally, I don't think it really makes much of a difference until you consistently make reasonable contact with the ball. Only then will you start to feel the difference if any between balls. The only time you will really feel the difference between balls is when putting on the green. Then as you improve, U will feel it in your short game, and finally in your irons and woods. Mainly cos it takes time and experience to develop enough feel in the hands to differentitate between the same ball type of different brands. At ur current stage, best bet is to go for 2nd hand balls.

Dunno ur swing speed, but basing on average, stick with ladies balls. They are much softer and easier to compress for the average lady, plus they come in pearlescent hues and pretty colours, which can be easier to spot on the course too.

Mainly there are 4 types of balls.

Ladies - Softer and easier to compress for distance. Designed for a woman's slower swing speed. Essentially a 2 piece ball but cos it's a ladies specific ball, may and usually does cost more than the regular 2 piece ball. eg Noodle Lady, Precept MC Lady, Pinnacle Lady

2 Piece - Also called distance balls. A harder ball that spins less which is good since most amateurs add more sidespin than backspin. Meaning ur ball flies straighter. Bad cos there is no backspin when you chip into greens to stop ur ball (not a worry for you right now). Harder feel when putting. Cheapest of the lot. Eg - Top Flite D2, Callaway Big Bertha or any ball with the "distance" tag on it

3 piece (mid priced) - Some spin n decent feel for greenside shots and reasonable performance without the price. Example - Titleist NXT Tour, Callaway HX Hot Bite

3 piece (premium) - The creme de la creme of performance. Spin, Distance, Feel, it's all there. And so is the price! eg Titleist ProV1

Looks like an article on Golf Digest.. Can we make this a sticky ?

Laughing
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: What Balls Do you Use?   What Balls Do you Use? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 16, 2010 11:26 am

Birdieman a.k.a. Organic Range Finder Master wrote:
I don't think it really makes much of a difference until you consistently make reasonable contact with the ball.

Very true!
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What Balls Do you Use?   What Balls Do you Use? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 16, 2010 1:36 pm

@ Bird.....you hatch liao ah????

hahahaha......
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

PostSubject: Re: What Balls Do you Use?   What Balls Do you Use? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 16, 2010 1:40 pm

bird, u still got a date with the ASS team hor....
Back to top Go down
Aaltl
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What Balls Do you Use?   What Balls Do you Use? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 22, 2010 5:10 pm

Personally I like the feel of pro v1 but have had good results with penta as well. Very soft feel
Back to top Go down
ghoonk
Honorary Landscaper
Honorary Landscaper

PostSubject: Re: What Balls Do you Use?   What Balls Do you Use? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 22, 2010 9:49 pm

Personally, I lose fewer balls when I play Pro V1/V1x. Don't know if it is because I play more carefully or if they exhibit less dispersion. Either way, I get a bag of 15 in excellent condition (still white, no scuffs) for around SGD37
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

PostSubject: Re: What Balls Do you Use?   What Balls Do you Use? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 23, 2010 9:19 am

I guess when you start paying attention to the balls, you will see the difference whether in feel or performance... sometimes somehow you will hit better with a certain brand even if it is not a premium ball
Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
duffader

PostSubject: Re: What Balls Do you Use?   What Balls Do you Use? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 23, 2010 9:28 am

whatever balls you use.. stick to one model or brand.... you will be able to judge your short game better.
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What Balls Do you Use?   What Balls Do you Use? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 23, 2010 9:30 am

Quote :
duffader wrote:
whatever balls you use.. stick to one model or brand.... you will be able to judge your short game better.

wah piang !! Bro...now you tell me......

last week I kay kiang...hand itchy go and buy noodle and used it on 18th Dec game.........short game...damm ugly.......(PS: I am sick of blaming it due to my LOFT...so this time only...I blame all to the ball...hahahaha)

Last edited by Duval_S on Thu Dec 23, 2010 9:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
duffader

PostSubject: Re: What Balls Do you Use?   What Balls Do you Use? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 23, 2010 9:31 am

Duval_S wrote:
Quote :
duffader wrote:

last week I kay kiang...hand itchy go and buy noodle and used it on 18th Dec game.........short game...damm ugly.......

hehehe......
Back to top Go down
mizzy
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
mizzy

PostSubject: Re: What Balls Do you Use?   What Balls Do you Use? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 23, 2010 9:40 am

Duval_S wrote:
Quote :
duffader wrote:

last week I kay kiang...hand itchy go and buy noodle and used it on 18th Dec game.........short game...damm ugly.......(PS: I am sick of blaming it due to my LOFT...so this time only...I blame all to the ball...hahahaha)

DS, you mean you didn't use it from hole 1 to 17? Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What Balls Do you Use?   What Balls Do you Use? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 23, 2010 10:09 am

@ Bro Mizzy........18th Dec game lah.....not 18th hole.....wah piang
Back to top Go down
mizzy
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
mizzy

PostSubject: Re: What Balls Do you Use?   What Balls Do you Use? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 23, 2010 10:11 am

Duval_S wrote:
@ Bro Mizzy........18th Dec game lah.....not 18th hole.....wah piang

but your short game was still very sharp!!.. OMG!!!
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

PostSubject: Re: What Balls Do you Use?   What Balls Do you Use? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 23, 2010 10:54 am

I think when DS Says its ugly, he means ugly for his competitors... coz now the ball will release and into the hole instead of stopping near for a one putt
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: What Balls Do you Use?   What Balls Do you Use? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 23, 2010 11:59 am

Branded balls, old balls, hard balls or blue balls, so long can get par or birdie, those are good balls.

Razz

Anyway, my choice is TM balls; Penta or Burner.
Back to top Go down
Shaggy
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What Balls Do you Use?   What Balls Do you Use? - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 28, 2010 12:22 pm

pocketace wrote:
Folks,
I browse thru all the topics and did not find one thread on the choice of balls.

There are threads asking where to buy cheap new / used balls, how frequent you top up your ball supply, etc. But none about choice of ball. If there is, please share with me. I find that balls are impt, especially around the green.

I read Rick's posting on Titleist balls - difference between types of ProVs and NXTs. Then Right Sided Coach (aka Paul?) lamenting about Callaway balls in different threads. I thought it would be interesting to ask you all about your choice of balls.

For me, it will be NXT tour for the balance of softness, spin and distance plus, it does not cost me an arm and a leg that Pro Vs do. Plus I find Pro Vs tend to cut easier due to the softer cover.
Bridgestone E+ series is also very nice. Srixon balls also don't disappoint.

I do not like Callaway balls too, the HX series are too hard for my liking, Warbirds are hard like old Topflites. Tried TM & Nike balls... not for me.

What bout you?

After playing with so many balls, it's Pro V 1 for me. It is very predictable around the greens
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What Balls Do you Use?   What Balls Do you Use? - Page 3 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What Balls Do you Use?
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3