Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What Balls Do you Use?

Go down 
+27
ghoonk
Aaltl
Duval_S
nrafee
smallhorse
asahi
kooky
star
Technospaz
mervyntan
slinger
eiji
jtek
JohnBGLee
TigaWood
Titleist
Agumon
Birdman
desmondwong
daveaha
golfdiva
jaketang
ditt
JL_chong
mUAr_cHEe
S70B
pocketace
31 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
JohnBGLee
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
JohnBGLee

What Balls Do you Use? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: What Balls Do you Use?   What Balls Do you Use? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2009 9:49 pm

Any that is not costly.

Expensive one lei, Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad always go Geyland ... Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

My favourite is Super NEWING.
Back to top Go down
jtek
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What Balls Do you Use?   What Balls Do you Use? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2009 10:03 pm

Since there is this discussion on balls, is there any new balls that cost around $0.50 each? Cos always lose MANY balls on green so heartache to us expensive ones...

I used to get the dunlop balls during GN sales which is about $0.50 each but now no more GN liao...
Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
eiji

PostSubject: Re: What Balls Do you Use?   What Balls Do you Use? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2009 10:06 pm

anyone tried Zero Friction balls? I bought 3 boxes at the recent sale, not sure if i game them this friday
Back to top Go down
http://www.idealparts.com.sg
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: What Balls Do you Use?   What Balls Do you Use? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2009 11:16 pm

Titleist wrote:

Not true Birdman. There is a large talented team that develop the balls and they are led by Bill Morgan, he is the godfather of the ProV1. Dean was one member in that team.

Rick

Apologies Rick, thanks for clearing that up. Embarassed

Out of interest, would you happen to have anything archived on the development of the original ProV1?

That is, the story of the ProV1.

A link will suffice, too much to ask you to take the time to type it all out.

Thanks much.
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: What Balls Do you Use?   What Balls Do you Use? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2009 11:21 pm

eiji wrote:
anyone tried Zero Friction balls? I bought 3 boxes at the recent sale, not sure if i game them this friday

With a name like Zero Friction, should be straight as an arrow since no sidespin. But that also means no backspin around the greens. ROFL

Sorry, couldn't resist. haven't tried, but head they are hard since they are 2 piece. But good value for money since they were just $50 for 3 boxes inclusive of 12 Zero Friction tees for each box. The tees are expensive.
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

PostSubject: Re: What Balls Do you Use?   What Balls Do you Use? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 15, 2009 11:37 pm

Birdman wrote:
eiji wrote:

With a name like Zero Friction, should be straight as an arrow since no sidespin. But that also means no backspin around the greens. ROFL

Sorry, couldn't resist. haven't tried, but head they are hard since they are 2 piece. But good value for money since they were just $50 for 3 boxes inclusive of 12 Zero Friction tees for each box. The tees are expensive.
[list][*]

balls like condoms, of cos use lah, if not buy for f.......
Back to top Go down
Agumon
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Agumon

PostSubject: Re: What Balls Do you Use?   What Balls Do you Use? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 16, 2009 7:50 am

blow ballons for xmas parties?

waterbag for survival training in brunei?
Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
mUAr_cHEe

PostSubject: Re: What Balls Do you Use?   What Balls Do you Use? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 16, 2009 7:57 am

water bomb....

Happy holidays!
Back to top Go down
mervyntan
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
mervyntan

PostSubject: Re: What Balls Do you Use?   What Balls Do you Use? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 16, 2009 8:51 am

u sure u only use it for water bomb?

happy holidays
Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
mUAr_cHEe

PostSubject: Re: What Balls Do you Use?   What Balls Do you Use? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 16, 2009 8:54 am

mervyntan wrote:
u sure u only use it for water bomb?

happy holidays

lets not discuss our debauchery in public. we got 5 hours to do that this sunday.

happy holidays to u too.
Back to top Go down
mervyntan
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
mervyntan

PostSubject: Re: What Balls Do you Use?   What Balls Do you Use? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 16, 2009 8:59 am

stuck with u for 5 hours?
kinda dreading it.
Back to top Go down
ditt
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
ditt

PostSubject: Re: What Balls Do you Use?   What Balls Do you Use? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 16, 2009 9:31 am

Birdman wrote:
Got two dimples, JT sure to like from what i've noticed! Very nice followthrough though... that's all I seem to see. Very Happy

Are you referring to golf balls with only two dimples?

Dan
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: What Balls Do you Use?   What Balls Do you Use? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 16, 2009 10:55 am

Ever seen a golf ball with two dimples Dan? Me neither.... ROFL

Anyway, got another drama unfolding here between MC and MT. Love-Hate discussion...
Back to top Go down
mervyntan
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
mervyntan

PostSubject: Re: What Balls Do you Use?   What Balls Do you Use? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 16, 2009 10:58 am

ya, i love to hate him.
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: What Balls Do you Use?   What Balls Do you Use? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 16, 2009 11:03 am

So MC got no choice but to hate to love you?

Perfect Yin Yang relationship.

Face Hug
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: What Balls Do you Use?   What Balls Do you Use? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 16, 2009 11:06 am

Birdman wrote:
Got two dimples, JT sure to like from what i've noticed! Very nice followthrough though... that's all I seem to see. Very Happy

As for the discussion on hand,

Maxfli BlackMax - Extinct but still find them 2nd hand. Love the feel off impact and putter even though there is mention of a dimple design defect where the last third of ball flight the ball just seems to die and fall like a wounded duck.

TaylorMade TP Black - Value for money 3 piece. Durable with good distance too. A little more click at putter impact than ProVs.

TaylorMade Burner TP - Mid spin mid priced ball like the NXT tour. Still a little on the fence for this one.
Noodle - Decent feel off impact and putter. Good fall back on bad days for straighter shots.

Srixon Soft Feel - Similar to Noodle

Srixon AD333 - Supposed to have some spin to it, more like sometimes got sometimes don't. Indifferent to its feel.

Top Flite Gamer - Best value for a ball equivalent in performance characteristics to the NXT Tours. Like mentioned above, bits shred off easily but in a funny way that leaves the shredded bits sticking stubbornly to the ball. Clicky at impact and worse off the putter.

Bridgestone Tour B330-RX - Great ball around. A tour level ball for slower swingers like myself.

Bridgestone e5 - Another comparable ball to the NXT Tour, except its 2 piece with urethane cover which makes for a softer feel. Decent spin but still can't beat a 3 piece for hop and stop.

Bridgestone e6+ - Find them similar to the Srixon Soft Feel or Noodle.

NXT Tour - Good performance n durability with decent spin. Not as soft as ProVs cos of ionomer (surlyn) cover.

ProV1 (old model)- Scuffs and yellows way too easily, a little too soft feeling for me at impact and esp off the putter. Have the new ones but not put them in play yet to comment.

I prefer just a touch of click when putting, so metal inserts are fine. But that's just me, I never liked elastomer inserts in putters, just mush to me. And don't think our greens here aren't fast enough to have to use them.

Great summary, as always, BM. Personally, I think the Top Flite Gamers are good balls. They are pretty decently priced ($25 per dozen from PW now) and give good performance. Watch out for the Gamer v2 which is due out soon, if not already.

Another ball which I'm beginning to like the Nike One Vapor which performs pretty well.

I'm now keen to give the e6+ a go. Nemo!!
Back to top Go down
ditt
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
ditt

PostSubject: Re: What Balls Do you Use?   What Balls Do you Use? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 16, 2009 11:28 am

ditt wrote:
Birdman wrote:

Are you referring to golf balls with only two dimples?

Dan

I beg your pardon. I'm not sure what you were referring to in your post. Something to do with the avatar?
D
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: What Balls Do you Use?   What Balls Do you Use? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 16, 2009 12:07 pm

Apologies for the miscom D, yes I was referring to your avatar and not golf balls with two dimples. Very Happy

Was just taking a dig at JT for his earlier comments. All in fun.
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: What Balls Do you Use?   What Balls Do you Use? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 16, 2009 12:18 pm

Technospaz wrote:

Great summary, as always, BM. Personally, I think the Top Flite Gamers are good balls. They are pretty decently priced ($25 per dozen from PW now) and give good performance. Watch out for the Gamer v2 which is due out soon, if not already.

Another ball which I'm beginning to like the Nike One Vapor which performs pretty well.

I'm now keen to give the e6+ a go. Nemo!!

Thanks TS, just my personal preference on the balls mentioned. I'm sure there are those that don't agree with my opinions, which is why there are so many types of balls available for us to choose from.

Heard good comments on the Vapor as well, and this from a low handicapper. Should serve you well TS, give us ur view on the vapor and how it seems to perform for you.

By the way, has anyone noticed how the Precept MC Lady has fallen so quickly out of favour? Hardly see anyone using them these days.
Back to top Go down
star
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
star

PostSubject: Re: What Balls Do you Use?   What Balls Do you Use? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 16, 2009 12:19 pm

Hi all,

I enjoyed reading this thread - very useful information on the choices of golf balls out in the market.

I have a question though - been on my mind for some time - for beginners like me, who just picked up the sport a few months ago, would it be better to stick to one type of balls until the standard has more or less levelled up, or would it be any good to try different balls for different games?
Is consistency in terms of choices of balls any important factor for a begeinner? Also, what kind of balls are usually recommended for a beginner or what are the deciding factors for beginners when they go about choosing balls?

Hope to get some advice on this! Thanks!
Back to top Go down
desmondwong
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What Balls Do you Use?   What Balls Do you Use? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 16, 2009 12:55 pm

when i started playing, we bought balls from the marshalls in JB courses... mixed bag... 40rm for 50 balls... couldn't tell A from B so it didn't really matter then...

the balls were for losing then... already slow with the game, didn't want to slow the back flight further by looking for balls so just drop and go... ball can fly/launch, happy liao... didn't matter if it was soft/hard/spin/no spin...
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: What Balls Do you Use?   What Balls Do you Use? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 16, 2009 1:06 pm

Star, I've heard a couple of different opinions on this. Some say to stick to one type of ball for consistency as you say which isn't a bad idea. One less factor to blame for a bad game.

Personally, I don't think it really makes much of a difference until you consistently make reasonable contact with the ball. Only then will you start to feel the difference if any between balls. The only time you will really feel the difference between balls is when putting on the green. Then as you improve, U will feel it in your short game, and finally in your irons and woods. Mainly cos it takes time and experience to develop enough feel in the hands to differentitate between the same ball type of different brands. At ur current stage, best bet is to go for 2nd hand balls.

Dunno ur swing speed, but basing on average, stick with ladies balls. They are much softer and easier to compress for the average lady, plus they come in pearlescent hues and pretty colours, which can be easier to spot on the course too.

Mainly there are 4 types of balls.

Ladies - Softer and easier to compress for distance. Designed for a woman's slower swing speed. Essentially a 2 piece ball but cos it's a ladies specific ball, may and usually does cost more than the regular 2 piece ball. eg Noodle Lady, Precept MC Lady, Pinnacle Lady

2 Piece - Also called distance balls. A harder ball that spins less which is good since most amateurs add more sidespin than backspin. Meaning ur ball flies straighter. Bad cos there is no backspin when you chip into greens to stop ur ball (not a worry for you right now). Harder feel when putting. Cheapest of the lot. Eg - Top Flite D2, Callaway Big Bertha or any ball with the "distance" tag on it

3 piece (mid priced) - Some spin n decent feel for greenside shots and reasonable performance without the price. Example - Titleist NXT Tour, Callaway HX Hot Bite

3 piece (premium) - The creme de la creme of performance. Spin, Distance, Feel, it's all there. And so is the price! eg Titleist ProV1
Back to top Go down
kooky
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What Balls Do you Use?   What Balls Do you Use? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 15, 2010 9:05 pm

anyone know where is the best price place to get new nike one balls (tour,vapor)..?

since lukewa no more, i remembered paying $35/doz for one vapor.

regret not getting more then

thanks
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: What Balls Do you Use?   What Balls Do you Use? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 15, 2010 11:34 pm

Try Golf Direct at Ubi? I am sold on them after getting Penta at $49.
Back to top Go down
smallhorse
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What Balls Do you Use?   What Balls Do you Use? - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 16, 2010 11:19 am

Birdman wrote:
Star, I've heard a couple of different opinions on this. Some say to stick to one type of ball for consistency as you say which isn't a bad idea. One less factor to blame for a bad game.

Personally, I don't think it really makes much of a difference until you consistently make reasonable contact with the ball. Only then will you start to feel the difference if any between balls. The only time you will really feel the difference between balls is when putting on the green. Then as you improve, U will feel it in your short game, and finally in your irons and woods. Mainly cos it takes time and experience to develop enough feel in the hands to differentitate between the same ball type of different brands. At ur current stage, best bet is to go for 2nd hand balls.

Dunno ur swing speed, but basing on average, stick with ladies balls. They are much softer and easier to compress for the average lady, plus they come in pearlescent hues and pretty colours, which can be easier to spot on the course too.

Mainly there are 4 types of balls.

Ladies - Softer and easier to compress for distance. Designed for a woman's slower swing speed. Essentially a 2 piece ball but cos it's a ladies specific ball, may and usually does cost more than the regular 2 piece ball. eg Noodle Lady, Precept MC Lady, Pinnacle Lady

2 Piece - Also called distance balls. A harder ball that spins less which is good since most amateurs add more sidespin than backspin. Meaning ur ball flies straighter. Bad cos there is no backspin when you chip into greens to stop ur ball (not a worry for you right now). Harder feel when putting. Cheapest of the lot. Eg - Top Flite D2, Callaway Big Bertha or any ball with the "distance" tag on it

3 piece (mid priced) - Some spin n decent feel for greenside shots and reasonable performance without the price. Example - Titleist NXT Tour, Callaway HX Hot Bite

3 piece (premium) - The creme de la creme of performance. Spin, Distance, Feel, it's all there. And so is the price! eg Titleist ProV1

Well said. I use Bridgestone e5 or e7 secondhands whenever I get the chance.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What Balls Do you Use?   What Balls Do you Use? - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What Balls Do you Use?
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next