Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Chipping with different lofts. Pics of results

Go down 
+5
Gofnut
scottycollector
neutralgolfer
Duval_S
Denmeister
9 posters
AuthorMessage
Denmeister
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Denmeister

Chipping with different lofts. Pics of results Empty
PostSubject: Chipping with different lofts. Pics of results   Chipping with different lofts. Pics of results I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 20, 2014 4:20 pm

The rain prematurely halted my chipping practice. so might as well just post some pics of my experiments.

I picked a spot about 4m outside of the green with a right to left breaking uphill chip of 10m.

I wanted to find out which wedge will give me the most margin of error, so each wedge was hit 10 times.  The results as follows:

Chipping with different lofts. Pics of results 13282929255_6be4da7fff
20 March chipping practice by dennis.lim888, on Flickr
Chipping with different lofts. Pics of results 13282922835_45b6ef9d42

Chipping with different lofts. Pics of results 13283063133_4813f66b02
Chipping with different lofts. Pics of results 13282908965_0d150c72ab

Chipping with different lofts. Pics of results 13283257934_8b6d16911e
Chipping with different lofts. Pics of results 13282895545_1a365e7322
Back to top Go down
Denmeister
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Denmeister

PostSubject: Re: Chipping with different lofts. Pics of results   Chipping with different lofts. Pics of results I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 20, 2014 4:28 pm

Looks like the fancy spin generating 60* produced the worst results.

The 56* had some check and release but with the hard right to left break, the sudden drop in speed after it released made the ball consistently go below the hole.

Evidently, the best results came from the 52* where I tried to land them about 3m past the collar and it checked, released n had comfortable velocity towards the hole. The chips held the line better than the other 2 wedges.

When the rain stops, I try from different location

stay tuned
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Chipping with different lofts. Pics of results   Chipping with different lofts. Pics of results I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 20, 2014 4:33 pm

I never had the balls to try 60 deg....I live and die with my 51deg....
Back to top Go down
neutralgolfer
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
neutralgolfer

PostSubject: Re: Chipping with different lofts. Pics of results   Chipping with different lofts. Pics of results I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 20, 2014 4:35 pm

Think you may try measuring each ball distance to the hole, add them and take the average. It might give you a more meaningful findings?
Back to top Go down
Denmeister
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Denmeister

PostSubject: Re: Chipping with different lofts. Pics of results   Chipping with different lofts. Pics of results I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 20, 2014 4:49 pm

neutralgolfer wrote:
Think you may try measuring each ball distance to the hole, add them and take the average. It might give you a more meaningful findings?

Naaaaa...... that will take up too much time. 

Our eyes are good enough to see that the 52* chips gave me more chances of one putting/gimmes.

The 60* definitely is not a good club for uphill chips of this distance where chip n run is more conducive.  The 56* is ok but I feel that if it is in a game (betting) situation, the 52* gives me a bigger margin of error. When every shot counts, the 52 tends to get the ball nearer or a little past the hole even when the stroke is less than perfect.
Back to top Go down
Denmeister
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Denmeister

PostSubject: Re: Chipping with different lofts. Pics of results   Chipping with different lofts. Pics of results I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 20, 2014 4:50 pm

Duval_S wrote:

51* also using same balls what..... what talking you????
Back to top Go down
scottycollector
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
scottycollector

PostSubject: Re: Chipping with different lofts. Pics of results   Chipping with different lofts. Pics of results I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 20, 2014 5:00 pm

haha nice. makes me wanna go out and hit some balls....
Back to top Go down
Gofnut
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Chipping with different lofts. Pics of results   Chipping with different lofts. Pics of results I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 20, 2014 5:51 pm

In your current setting with ample green to the hole, you should try chipping with your 8i. I suspect you will get better results.
Back to top Go down
Denmeister
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Denmeister

PostSubject: Re: Chipping with different lofts. Pics of results   Chipping with different lofts. Pics of results I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 20, 2014 6:01 pm

Gofnut wrote:
In your current setting with ample green to the hole, you should try chipping with your 8i. I suspect you will get better results.

Por,
tried. run long long.  If going for a further pin, maybe. I hade to clear 3 to 4m of fairway first before the green.
Back to top Go down
Gofnut
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Chipping with different lofts. Pics of results   Chipping with different lofts. Pics of results I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 20, 2014 6:27 pm

I see. I thought fly 4M and roll 10M uphill would suit 8i chip. In anycase, good write up. There are many ways to skin a cat. I would use the club that gives me least errors.
Back to top Go down
Vinny
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Vinny

PostSubject: Re: Chipping with different lofts. Pics of results   Chipping with different lofts. Pics of results I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 20, 2014 9:52 pm

Duval_S wrote:

Even some of the pros shun the 60* wedge it's never a friendly club to have in the bag nor master ~ what say us mere mortals..........
Back to top Go down
haragolfer
Caddy
Caddy
haragolfer

PostSubject: Re: Chipping with different lofts. Pics of results   Chipping with different lofts. Pics of results I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 20, 2014 10:26 pm

I agree with den meister on the gap wedge having the best results.  I personally been experimenting with a few chipping styles just to have more shots with one gap wedge.  more carry versus more roll depending on the lie. still the 52 wedge is the best performer.
Back to top Go down
jurongtiger
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jurongtiger

PostSubject: Re: Chipping with different lofts. Pics of results   Chipping with different lofts. Pics of results I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 20, 2014 11:15 pm

Bro, they say those that focuses on the short game are the dangerous players. Seeibg yoyr accuracy and attention to details i dun wan to play wif u liao Sad
Back to top Go down
Denmeister
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Denmeister

PostSubject: Re: Chipping with different lofts. Pics of results   Chipping with different lofts. Pics of results I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 20, 2014 11:20 pm

jurongtiger wrote:
Bro, they say those that focuses on the short game are the dangerous players. Seeibg yoyr accuracy and attention to details i dun wan to play wif u liao Sad

like that also scared ah????
Back to top Go down
jurongtiger
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jurongtiger

PostSubject: Re: Chipping with different lofts. Pics of results   Chipping with different lofts. Pics of results I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 21, 2014 12:21 am

Of course. Cos the rest of your game I nt scared.
Back to top Go down
Denmeister
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Denmeister

PostSubject: Re: Chipping with different lofts. Pics of results   Chipping with different lofts. Pics of results I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 21, 2014 8:23 am

jurongtiger wrote:
Hahaha..... good one.  Remember to arrange a day when you are back to kick my ass on the course, ok?
Back to top Go down
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TDO

PostSubject: Re: Chipping with different lofts. Pics of results   Chipping with different lofts. Pics of results I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 21, 2014 8:45 am

I tried chipping from 7i onwards up to Pw and it works fine. Tried Sw and 60Lw and failed miserably and reminded myself to never ever do that again. I only use the 60O Lw for shots from bunker that has little landing on the green.   
Beer 
Back to top Go down
Gofnut
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Chipping with different lofts. Pics of results   Chipping with different lofts. Pics of results I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 21, 2014 8:54 am

Denmeister wrote:
jurongtiger wrote:
Hahaha..... good one.  Remember to arrange a day when you are back to kick my ass on the course, ok?

Jio me hor!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Chipping with different lofts. Pics of results   Chipping with different lofts. Pics of results I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Chipping with different lofts. Pics of results
Page 1 of 1