Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What Metaphor describes your golf swing / game?

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
punkrockpga
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals

What Metaphor describes your golf swing / game? Empty
PostSubject: What Metaphor describes your golf swing / game?   What Metaphor describes your golf swing / game? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 21, 2013 3:39 pm

As a coach, metaphor can be an extremely useful tool for my students. 

One particular student of mine struggles to manage balance and tension issues with his swing.  When he swings smooth and balanced he hits it great, but his tendency is to be way off balance, body full of tension, and hits golf shots that are all over the map.  

The other day, mid lesson this guy described a particularly good shot as feeling like a knife through warm butter.  My intuition told me that this butter metaphor could become something very useful so when his next shot was clearly not as smooth as the "warm butter" shot, I asked him "what kind of butter was that?"  He immediately said "rock hard butter."  

As a way of getting him to experience his golf swing differently we stayed with the butter conversation and discussed it's relevance after every shot.  There were some warm butter swings, some rock hard butter swing, some in between butter swings.  We tried on all kinds of ideas around this butter metaphor like: club is the knife ball is the butter, his body is the butter and the ball is the knife, and what we finally ended up with was comparing what it's like to spread soft butter on toast vs. spreading rock hard butter on toast.  How the soft butter spreads so smoothly and evenly and the rock hard butter just destroys the toast and leaves chunks of butter here and there.  

This guy ended up connecting to the butter metaphor so deeply that all he needed to do was make a warm butter swing (which was nothing more than a smooth balanced swing) and suddenly his swing was pure and repeatable.  When the odd rock hard butter swing showed up he knew how to name it and new exactly what he needed to connect to to get that pure swing back.  

The butter metaphor got him out of his head and into experiencing his swing in a new and extremely productive way.  It was a really cool session for both of us.

So, what is a metaphor that describes your swing or game?

Here's a few examples and please feel free to steal any of these if you think that exploring it might be helpful.

-Banging my head against the wall
-Accident waiting to happen
-Just a Sunday stroll
-Like a Bob Marley song
-1 step forward, 2 steps back

Have a great week all!
Back to top Go down
http://www.bradfordprogolf.com
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: What Metaphor describes your golf swing / game?   What Metaphor describes your golf swing / game? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 21, 2013 9:29 pm

Hump the goat Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
jumpz
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
jumpz

PostSubject: Re: What Metaphor describes your golf swing / game?   What Metaphor describes your golf swing / game? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 21, 2013 9:41 pm

No metaphor nor a Bob Marley song. Just an old U2 song....

" I still haven't found what I'm looking for"
Back to top Go down
punkrockpga
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals

PostSubject: Re: What Metaphor describes your golf swing / game?   What Metaphor describes your golf swing / game? I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 21, 2013 9:50 pm

jumpz wrote:
No metaphor nor a Bob Marley song. Just an old U2 song....

" I still haven't found what I'm looking for"
Jumpz, 

Turning this into a coaching topic, what exactly are you looking for?

Seriously
Back to top Go down
http://www.bradfordprogolf.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What Metaphor describes your golf swing / game?   What Metaphor describes your golf swing / game? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What Metaphor describes your golf swing / game?
Page 1 of 1