Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Loft - iron v hybrid v FW

Go down 
+6
zenselv
Gray
nutty88
Turbo
triplepar
cactuzone
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
cactuzone
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

Loft - iron v hybrid v FW Empty
PostSubject: Loft - iron v hybrid v FW   Loft - iron v hybrid v FW I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 17, 2013 12:23 am

Hi,

may I ask if the distance covered for FW 19* v Hybrid 19* same?

Also distance covered for iron (with loft) 19* v Hybrid 19* same?

Appreciate your valuable feedback, thanks in advance.
Back to top Go down
triplepar
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Loft - iron v hybrid v FW   Loft - iron v hybrid v FW I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 17, 2013 6:41 am

Length of shaft different. Wood>Hybrid>Iron. Therefore, clubhead speed different. Ergo distance Wood>Hybrid>Iron. Cheers Jump
Back to top Go down
cactuzone
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Loft - iron v hybrid v FW   Loft - iron v hybrid v FW I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 17, 2013 12:48 pm

With FW3=200m and 4i=160-165m, I am contemplating a hybrid 22* to cover 170-180m. 

Advise? Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Loft - iron v hybrid v FW   Loft - iron v hybrid v FW I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 17, 2013 1:33 pm

cactuzone wrote:
With FW3=200m and 4i=160-165m, I am contemplating a hybrid 22* to cover 170-180m. 

Advise? Thanks.
Yes, justifiable ...
Back to top Go down
nutty88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
nutty88

PostSubject: Re: Loft - iron v hybrid v FW   Loft - iron v hybrid v FW I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 17, 2013 1:33 pm

cactuzone wrote:

Advise? Thanks.
You have just answered your own question. What is holding you back in getting a hybrid? cheers 
Back to top Go down
cactuzone
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Loft - iron v hybrid v FW   Loft - iron v hybrid v FW I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 17, 2013 2:41 pm

I hv gotten a hybrid 19* thinking it's between FW3 15* loft and 4i 24* loft. Will take it back to change for hybrid 22*, assuming it will cover 170-180m, right?
Back to top Go down
Gray
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Gray

PostSubject: Re: Loft - iron v hybrid v FW   Loft - iron v hybrid v FW I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 17, 2013 2:44 pm

what he wants to know is if a club with the same loft but one is an iron, the other is a hybrid and the last is a wood. Does the same loft = same distance?

My answer to that is that if the shaft length is the same then yes. Same distance BUT same carry distance. Ball hit with woods will roll more than hybrid and hybrid will roll more than irons.
Back to top Go down
cactuzone
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Loft - iron v hybrid v FW   Loft - iron v hybrid v FW I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 17, 2013 2:48 pm

Gray, 

I get what you are saying. Meaning the length of shaft will determine the distant minus the roll.
Back to top Go down
zenselv
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
zenselv

PostSubject: Re: Loft - iron v hybrid v FW   Loft - iron v hybrid v FW I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 17, 2013 2:52 pm

Sorry to sidetrack abit, but what's the normal distance you guys hit for a driver?
The reason i asked is because my 3 Hyrbrid sometimes same distance as my driver about 180 pale pale
Back to top Go down
cactuzone
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Loft - iron v hybrid v FW   Loft - iron v hybrid v FW I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 17, 2013 2:58 pm

Able to advise on the distance by h22* n h19*?

Zensely, to answer your question, my drive is around 240.
Back to top Go down
Gray
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Gray

PostSubject: Re: Loft - iron v hybrid v FW   Loft - iron v hybrid v FW I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 17, 2013 3:01 pm

cactuzone wrote:
Gray, 

I get what you are saying. Meaning the length of shaft will determine the distant minus the roll.
yup. the groves on the irons will give the balls the least roll. the hydrids will have more roll than the irons.
Back to top Go down
cactuzone
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Loft - iron v hybrid v FW   Loft - iron v hybrid v FW I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 17, 2013 3:08 pm

Sorry, averagely around 220, 240 will be a clean strike and even up to 250 sometimes.
Back to top Go down
cactuzone
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Loft - iron v hybrid v FW   Loft - iron v hybrid v FW I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 17, 2013 3:12 pm

Noted, Gray.

Like I said I just bought a h19*, so taking the kind feed backs from you bros, I should change to 22* to cover the distant after 4i.
Back to top Go down
angyongshen
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
angyongshen

PostSubject: Re: Loft - iron v hybrid v FW   Loft - iron v hybrid v FW I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 17, 2013 3:23 pm

Base on the info provided, shouldn't 170-180 be covered by FW5?
Back to top Go down
cactuzone
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Loft - iron v hybrid v FW   Loft - iron v hybrid v FW I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 17, 2013 3:33 pm

Angyongshen, FW5 should cover that but I wanna try a hybrid and not clear on loft for distance. Could you advise? Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Loft - iron v hybrid v FW   Loft - iron v hybrid v FW I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 17, 2013 3:36 pm

cactuzone wrote:
Gray, 

Not exactly ... the loft of the club affects the distance more than the length of the shaft (lets remove the swing speed of an individual from the equation for the sake of making the discussion less complicated). The flex on the shaft will affect ones distance for sure. In addition, the shape of the clubhead like FW wood and hybrid are designed to generate more distance and more forgiving versus a long iron ...

Last edited by Turbo on Thu Oct 17, 2013 3:45 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Loft - iron v hybrid v FW   Loft - iron v hybrid v FW I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 17, 2013 3:41 pm

zenselv wrote:
Sorry to sidetrack abit, but what's the normal distance you guys hit for a driver?
The reason i asked is because my 3 Hyrbrid sometimes same distance as my driver about 180 pale pale
This is because your 3 hybrid has higher loft than the driver and hence easier to launch the ball for better distance ... This concludes that your swing speed might not be high enough to achieve the optimum performance of your driver. It might be also the flex on your driver shaft is too stiff for your swing speed. If your driver flex is regular, you might wanna consider a higher loft driver. Ideally, and my sincere suggestion is to seek advice from a qualified fitter.
Back to top Go down
cactuzone
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Loft - iron v hybrid v FW   Loft - iron v hybrid v FW I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 17, 2013 3:54 pm

Apologies on the drive distance, referring back to records, my average is between 200-210 and up to 220 with back wind. Occasionally recorded 240 when short-cutting a dog-legged hole, not true flight distant.
Back to top Go down
Gray
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Gray

PostSubject: Re: Loft - iron v hybrid v FW   Loft - iron v hybrid v FW I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 17, 2013 4:33 pm

Turbo wrote:
zenselv wrote:
This is because your 3 hybrid has higher loft than the driver and hence easier to launch the ball for better distance ... This concludes that your swing speed might not be high enough to achieve the optimum performance of your driver. It might be also the flex on your driver shaft is too stiff for your swing speed. If your driver flex is regular, you might wanna consider a higher loft driver. Ideally, and my sincere suggestion is to seek advice from a qualified fitter.
I was told once by a fitter (who also happens to be in his forum) that the flex does not affect distance. The flex matters to suit the tempo of the swing and to get the timing correct.
Back to top Go down
gingerus
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Loft - iron v hybrid v FW   Loft - iron v hybrid v FW I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 17, 2013 4:39 pm

zenselv wrote:
bro..cos your Angle of attack on driver is negative. That means you are hitting down on the ball instead of hitting it up
Back to top Go down
Turbo
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
Turbo

PostSubject: Re: Loft - iron v hybrid v FW   Loft - iron v hybrid v FW I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 17, 2013 5:20 pm

Gray wrote:
Turbo wrote:
zenselv wrote:
I was told once by a fitter (who also happens to be in his forum) that the flex does not affect distance. The flex matters to suit the tempo of the swing and to get the timing correct.
Bro, I dun think so ... Why dun you try hitting an extra stiff flex and then a Regular flex shaft, see which one will  give you longer distance, ya? One definitely need much higher swing speed to handle the Extra Stiff flex shaft ...

In addition, there are ppl who hit the 7i & 5i about the same distance ... Reason is, they do not have enough swing speed to optimize the lower loft angle of the 5i ...
Back to top Go down
cactuzone
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Loft - iron v hybrid v FW   Loft - iron v hybrid v FW I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 17, 2013 7:07 pm

Gingerus, noticed that you don't carry any FW, can you share with us your distance on h2, h3, h4 and 4i for my guide? Thanks.
Back to top Go down
cactuzone
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Loft - iron v hybrid v FW   Loft - iron v hybrid v FW I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 17, 2013 8:11 pm

Turbo,

may I ask your distance on FW#5, H#3 and 5i for my guide? Appreicate, thanks.
Back to top Go down
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
pocketace

PostSubject: Re: Loft - iron v hybrid v FW   Loft - iron v hybrid v FW I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 17, 2013 8:58 pm

Mate you can compare between a 5w and 3hybrid cos usually the lofts are very similar, ie around 18 or 19 deg (depending on brand)

But you can't compare a 5i with the 5w and 5hyb cos the 5i loft is around 25deg plus minus (again depending on brand). You should compare with a 3i instead

I'll say go with either 5w or 3hyb depending on which one gives you most confident on course. Distance varies between player to player depending on playing ability.
Back to top Go down
gingerus
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Loft - iron v hybrid v FW   Loft - iron v hybrid v FW I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 17, 2013 9:11 pm

cactuzone wrote:
Gingerus, noticed that you don't carry any FW, can you share with us your distance on h2, h3, h4 and 4i for my guide? Thanks.
i too noob to hit the FW thats why have to use hybrids as replacement

2h 200m
3h 185m
4h 170m
4i 160m
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Loft - iron v hybrid v FW   Loft - iron v hybrid v FW I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Loft - iron v hybrid v FW
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next