Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Longer shaft higher loft OR Shorter shaft lower loft?

Go down 
+14
golferx
duffader
Golfish
Birdman
superputt
yeppie99
skybobo
costajos
bullrun
merceid
KY787
pug
golfool2009
18 posters
AuthorMessage
golfool2009
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
golfool2009

Longer shaft higher loft OR Shorter shaft lower loft? Empty
PostSubject: Longer shaft higher loft OR Shorter shaft lower loft?   Longer shaft higher loft OR Shorter shaft lower loft? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 22, 2014 11:23 am

Because of my slow swing speed, I can't seem to hit a 3W at all...i have bought countless 3Ws over the years and failed to hit any of them consistently.....

But the advent of adjustable fairway woods are now giving me new options, e.g. the Cobra bio cell which comes in the following configuration:

3W: 43.5" long; loft ranges from 13*-16*
5W: 43" long; loft ranges from 17*20*

Doesn't exactly solve my question in the title above but gives me some options...

For some strange reason, I can hit my 5W pretty well which is 42.75 long and has 19* of loft.

What do you guys think?  Should I get the 3W and set it at 16* or get the 5W and set it at 17* (would it make much difference yardage wise?  How much diff does 2* of loft make)?  Which will be easier to hit, longer shaft (3W) or higher loft (5W)?
Back to top Go down
pug
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
pug

PostSubject: Re: Longer shaft higher loft OR Shorter shaft lower loft?   Longer shaft higher loft OR Shorter shaft lower loft? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 22, 2014 11:32 am

The best advice is to find a fitter. Personal experience says that a shorter shaft is much easier to handle. My irons are 0.5" shorter than standard and I prefer a 44.5" driver shaft. Also, instead of a FW, I actually relied on a hybrid (15* or 18*) and have better results.
Back to top Go down
KY787
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Longer shaft higher loft OR Shorter shaft lower loft?   Longer shaft higher loft OR Shorter shaft lower loft? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 22, 2014 11:35 am

golfool2009 wrote:
Because of my slow swing speed, I can't seem to hit a 3W at all...i have bought countless 3Ws over the years and failed to hit any of them consistently.....

But the advent of adjustable fairway woods are now giving me new options, e.g. the Cobra bio cell which comes in the following configuration:

3W: 43.5" long; loft ranges from 13*-16*
5W: 43" long; loft ranges from 17*20*

For some strange reason, I can hit my 5W pretty well which is 42.75 long and has 19* of loft.

What do you guys think?  Should I get the 3W and set it at 16* or get the 5W and set it at 17* (would it make much difference yardage wise?  How much diff does 2* of loft make)?  Which will be easier to hit, longer shaft (3W) or higher loft (5W)?

Just want to add, i have seen golfers who have driver shaft of 46", and their ball seemed to be rolling like no ending! affraid
Any expert to adviice on the physics?
Back to top Go down
merceid
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Longer shaft higher loft OR Shorter shaft lower loft?   Longer shaft higher loft OR Shorter shaft lower loft? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 22, 2014 4:17 pm

Check out callaway heavenwood, 20.5 deg with 43" length. Have not tried, just read reviews about it.
Back to top Go down
bullrun
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
bullrun

PostSubject: Re: Longer shaft higher loft OR Shorter shaft lower loft?   Longer shaft higher loft OR Shorter shaft lower loft? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 22, 2014 5:17 pm

My experience was shorter shaft will be easier to manage and give you more consistent results.
Back to top Go down
costajos
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Longer shaft higher loft OR Shorter shaft lower loft?   Longer shaft higher loft OR Shorter shaft lower loft? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 22, 2014 5:27 pm

I think in general is that a shorter shaft will make it easier to manage - and higher loft will always make the club more forgiving on off-centered hits and also easier to launch. 

I guess its about what you want to do with the club - i.e. hit it off the tee / deck or both and the gap distance you want to cover.
Back to top Go down
skybobo
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Longer shaft higher loft OR Shorter shaft lower loft?   Longer shaft higher loft OR Shorter shaft lower loft? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 22, 2014 6:41 pm

Bro, I read you are a single hcp right.
Not long but very straight and chun. 

Can u hit your driver? 
If u can hit 5w well, I reckon u should be able to hit your 3w well as well. What are your misses and prob with 3w?  Is it poor contact or something else?
Back to top Go down
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Longer shaft higher loft OR Shorter shaft lower loft?   Longer shaft higher loft OR Shorter shaft lower loft? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 22, 2014 8:51 pm

Gf, try Callaway 3 deep. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
yeppie99
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Longer shaft higher loft OR Shorter shaft lower loft?   Longer shaft higher loft OR Shorter shaft lower loft? I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 22, 2014 9:13 pm

I will recommend the 5w. I have ditched my 3w for the longest time as I find that the extra few metres is usually not worth the inconsistency in the long run.
Back to top Go down
superputt
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Longer shaft higher loft OR Shorter shaft lower loft?   Longer shaft higher loft OR Shorter shaft lower loft? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2014 12:28 am

Fairway wood is harder to hit for most people.  Get a lower degree hybrid.  I can hit the 19 degree hybrid about 190 meter and my driver is 210 meter.   Not bad huh?
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: Longer shaft higher loft OR Shorter shaft lower loft?   Longer shaft higher loft OR Shorter shaft lower loft? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2014 12:29 am

bullrun wrote:
My experience was shorter shaft will be easier to manage and give you more consistent results.

Lol Bullrun, funny you should say that a shorter shaft is easier to manage when your avatar pic is that of the 46.5inch long PRGR Egg Bird driver.

Been toying with the same driver recently at the range to get a feel of the club. That shaft is super long and takes a little getting used to to get a consistent hit.

Last edited by Birdman on Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Birdman
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
Birdman

PostSubject: Re: Longer shaft higher loft OR Shorter shaft lower loft?   Longer shaft higher loft OR Shorter shaft lower loft? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2014 12:48 am

GF, since your current 5W already serves you well, the second option of setting the 5W at 17* with a shorter shaft should be right up your alley.

Apart from the actual differences of length and loft between the 3W and 5W, I'm thinking of that brain thing you have to account for where perception is reality.

Whatever loft you set the 3W to, your brain is going to tell you it's still a 3W you've got in your hands and that you can't hit it, and you know what's coming then... Laughing

Interestingly enough, I've recently been thinking of re-shafting my 3 wood to increase  the length from 43" to 45". Theoretically, that extra 2" should give me the added length I need to perhaps even try for the occassional par 5 in two.

Has anyone here ever done anything like that, build a 45" 3 wood? Does it work?

How much distance gain is there and how is the difference in dispersion?

Last edited by Birdman on Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Golfish
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
Golfish

PostSubject: Re: Longer shaft higher loft OR Shorter shaft lower loft?   Longer shaft higher loft OR Shorter shaft lower loft? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2014 12:56 am

My fitter once suggested to me a 5 wood built with 3 wood length.
5 wood head is normally easier to hit than a 3 wood head.
Shortfall in distance can be made up with that extra 0.5 inch or so.
Just some suggestion... Cheers
Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
duffader

PostSubject: Re: Longer shaft higher loft OR Shorter shaft lower loft?   Longer shaft higher loft OR Shorter shaft lower loft? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2014 7:55 am

Golffool, lay up lah!!!!! Smile
Back to top Go down
golferx
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
golferx

PostSubject: Re: Longer shaft higher loft OR Shorter shaft lower loft?   Longer shaft higher loft OR Shorter shaft lower loft? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2014 10:34 am

My opinion is choose the one that give you more stable and consistent strike. I am using bio cell 3W too and i did cut the shaft 0.5" from origninal speedy shaft. Occasionally adjust my loft from 14.5 to 16deg. I am changing the loft is not becos of earning distance, but earning consistency of my ball fly. TQ
Back to top Go down
blee67
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
blee67

PostSubject: Re: Longer shaft higher loft OR Shorter shaft lower loft?   Longer shaft higher loft OR Shorter shaft lower loft? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2014 10:47 am

duffader wrote:
Golffool, lay up lah!!!!! Smile

He where got lay up one? clown
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

PostSubject: Re: Longer shaft higher loft OR Shorter shaft lower loft?   Longer shaft higher loft OR Shorter shaft lower loft? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2014 11:45 am

my arch nemesis....

whats up with all this....

if u need help.... just ask our whatsapp group mah!

nb, come here n ask.... really think we want to makan u liddat

Sad
Back to top Go down
golfool2009
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
golfool2009

PostSubject: Re: Longer shaft higher loft OR Shorter shaft lower loft?   Longer shaft higher loft OR Shorter shaft lower loft? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2014 4:21 pm

Slinger: our whatsapp group are all long hitters....you all won't understand my problems....can't emphatise....

Des: Callaway 3Deep has 14.5*...the worms better take cover if they see me pull off the headcover...

Skybobo: Currently driver is also not working but I feel it slowly coming back...with my 3W I either end up duffing or bad banana slice......

I drive about 200m....max is 210m...and my 5W goes about 180m....maybe that's enough????....Don't worry about 3W?
Back to top Go down
skybobo
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Longer shaft higher loft OR Shorter shaft lower loft?   Longer shaft higher loft OR Shorter shaft lower loft? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2014 5:36 pm

Hi GF,
I can understand your prob.  I am in the same shoes as you but not the same standard as you Smile
I drive 200m, max also 210m.
My 3w is 180m.  My 5w is 170m.  My 4H is 155m to 160m.

I “normally” play in the mid to high 80s.
On most par 4, I will tee off with driver and follow by either 5w or 4h…..seldom irons unless the par 4 is 350m & below.
On days that my wood is on song, I can get GIR.  Else it is always 3 on and hope for 2 putt.
I envy those who can drive ave 230m……cos they can use irons on their 2nd shot which is definitely much easier than using fw.

I can hit my fw relatively ok. 
1 thing I realize which is very impt for fw is to get your left shoulder behind the ball at top of the swing.
Then at the downswing, focus on clearing your left hip and MAKE SURE your head stay behind the ball at impact…..very impt for all shots and especially fw.
This is my personal feel, not sure whether it works for you but guess no harm trying.
My height is around 168cm btw.

Hope to have a chance to learn something from u someday
Back to top Go down
golfool2009
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
golfool2009

PostSubject: Re: Longer shaft higher loft OR Shorter shaft lower loft?   Longer shaft higher loft OR Shorter shaft lower loft? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2014 8:14 pm

Wah, skybobo, your post could have been written by me....sounds like we have the same game.......these are the clubs I used on my approach shots at OCC last week:
Dendro
#1: 5W
#2: PW (short par 4)
#3: 5W
#4: 4H
#5: 5H
#6: AW (short par 5)
#7: 7i
#8: 4H
#9: PW (short par 4)

Vanda
#1: 5H
#2: 5H
#3: 4H
#4: 7i
#5: LW (3rd shot on a long par 4)
#6: AW (short par 5)
#7: 5H
#8: AW (short par 4)
#9: LW (short par 5)

Looking at this, wonder why I have so many clubs in my bag.....
Back to top Go down
Vrooooom2
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Longer shaft higher loft OR Shorter shaft lower loft?   Longer shaft higher loft OR Shorter shaft lower loft? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2014 9:23 pm

Hi, bro GF. I hv the exact prob with the 3w too. Surprisingly my driver and 5w distance is about the same u. Not considered a long hitter, nor short. Gave up my 3w long ago. Just manage with 5w. My experience is that scores are generally better when I play without 3w or too many clubs. Guess it's a case of lesser chance of making mistake. Funny logic but it works for me. Haha. Hope to play with u guys one day.
Back to top Go down
skybobo
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Longer shaft higher loft OR Shorter shaft lower loft?   Longer shaft higher loft OR Shorter shaft lower loft? I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 23, 2014 9:49 pm

GF, we may have the same game but definitely not the same score. You are much much better. 

I notice u are using stiff for driver and us reg for fw. Have you try using A flex before? My fw are from Adams and I use A flex for my 3w and 5w and it's much easier to launch. Maybe u can give it a try.
Back to top Go down
fking_soon
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Longer shaft higher loft OR Shorter shaft lower loft?   Longer shaft higher loft OR Shorter shaft lower loft? I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 10, 2014 5:10 pm

have you count the number of time you need to use your 3W?

For my situation my driver can reach 225m to 235m i have a 3W which is around 205m but i dont have a 5W as my 3H can reach 180m. 

As you can see between 205 3W and my 3H 180m I have a 25m difference. 

So as yourself how many time did you encounter yourself needing the distances between 210m and 180m? closer 1 chip and 1 putt will be more dangerous than a straight on green which is 40% of the choice you might go far from pin or side bunker?

weight your option.
Back to top Go down
golfool2009
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
golfool2009

PostSubject: Re: Longer shaft higher loft OR Shorter shaft lower loft?   Longer shaft higher loft OR Shorter shaft lower loft? I_icon_minitimeSun Oct 19, 2014 10:12 pm

Ended up with the Cobra Bio Cell 3W JV (from a bro on GR) with a length of 43.25" and set to 15.5* of loft...used it once on the course and it goes longer than the 5 wood as the roll is incredible and even managed to put it on in 2 on 18 hole at JCC from white tees (415m) but if i need it to carry trouble, I'll still pull out my 5W....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Longer shaft higher loft OR Shorter shaft lower loft?   Longer shaft higher loft OR Shorter shaft lower loft? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Longer shaft higher loft OR Shorter shaft lower loft?
Page 1 of 1