Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Reliable and Hardy Stand Bags - Lightweight Preferred

Go down 
+18
jtek
FVTPL
kamen
kraken
Denmeister
flashpacker
imrog
KCL
jocheang
devil_wq
s-killer
coe16arg
Technospaz
BabyCroc
Khorkar
slinger
eiji
Derek
22 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

Reliable and Hardy Stand Bags - Lightweight Preferred Empty
PostSubject: Reliable and Hardy Stand Bags - Lightweight Preferred   Reliable and Hardy Stand Bags - Lightweight Preferred I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 13, 2013 12:33 pm

Hi Guys,

I may be looking for something that does not exist but do you guys know of any lightweight golf bags out there that are durable?

I know legs on standbags are always an issue so I am sort of inclined toward the lightweight cart bags now.  Anyone using them?

Most the standbags I have used, either the legs or base screwed up, or in the most recent case, the Gosen, the zips are gone.

I have been told that even if you pay more for a "branded" standbag, you are going to get the same problems.

Have viewed the Hybrid Golf Bag thread with interest, but my first priority is still lightweight and if the base is good, guess you don't really need a stand.  Also, while many compartments are nice, I would like to have a bag that lasts me at least more than 1 year before falling apart.

Any recommendations?

P.S.  I keep my bag in my car at all times and park in an unsheltered carpark during the on weekdays.  While i know this is bad for shelf life, it is not something I am going to change.  Must be operationally ready!!!
Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
eiji

PostSubject: Re: Reliable and Hardy Stand Bags - Lightweight Preferred   Reliable and Hardy Stand Bags - Lightweight Preferred I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 13, 2013 12:38 pm

Ping Hoofer or Ping 4 Series are very reputable.

Sun Mountain 4.5 or something is pretty good, I am using a Titleist Stand Bag with no issue.
Back to top Go down
http://www.idealparts.com.sg
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

PostSubject: Re: Reliable and Hardy Stand Bags - Lightweight Preferred   Reliable and Hardy Stand Bags - Lightweight Preferred I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 13, 2013 12:40 pm

u walking 18 holes with the bag???
Back to top Go down
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Khorkar

PostSubject: Re: Reliable and Hardy Stand Bags - Lightweight Preferred   Reliable and Hardy Stand Bags - Lightweight Preferred I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 13, 2013 12:40 pm

Have seen variety of sun mountain bags.  They are very hardy and light in weights.   They are also functional I.e. buggy straps, quick open pockets.  Only thing is that you have to order from US.

And also, the stand is sturdy and doesn't bulk after some period of usage.
Back to top Go down
BabyCroc
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
BabyCroc

PostSubject: Re: Reliable and Hardy Stand Bags - Lightweight Preferred   Reliable and Hardy Stand Bags - Lightweight Preferred I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 13, 2013 12:47 pm

Khorkar wrote:
Have seen variety of sun mountain bags.  They are very hardy and light in weights.   They are also functional I.e. buggy straps, quick open pockets.  Only thing is that you have to order from US.

And also, the stand is sturdy and doesn't bulk after some period of usage.
 Sun mountain is available in sgp thru pan west, saw it at fesc and occ shops, but not all models are available.. Think they were keeping it in their store room last time. Pretty good material for standbags and decent designs.

Derek, you might wanna try ogio stand bags or lightweight cartbags too. Used mine for 3 years already and it's pretty durable.
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Reliable and Hardy Stand Bags - Lightweight Preferred   Reliable and Hardy Stand Bags - Lightweight Preferred I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 13, 2013 12:51 pm

I think Sun Mountain bags are quite sturdy. The more expensive Ogios are reliable too. And I agree that Titleist bags look quite fuss-proof.
Back to top Go down
coe16arg
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
coe16arg

PostSubject: Re: Reliable and Hardy Stand Bags - Lightweight Preferred   Reliable and Hardy Stand Bags - Lightweight Preferred I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 13, 2013 12:53 pm

I find that how you use the stand bags also makes a difference towards how long the legs can last.

For example, I try not to leave them fully extended when using the legs, ie. try to keep the legs vertical as much as possible. Also, I try to minimise leaving them standing on the legs eg. at home.
Back to top Go down
s-killer
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
s-killer

PostSubject: Re: Reliable and Hardy Stand Bags - Lightweight Preferred   Reliable and Hardy Stand Bags - Lightweight Preferred I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 13, 2013 1:17 pm

since my first OGIO standbag, i never look elsewhere.

i am on my third OGIO bag, not because of defect, but because of "backside itchy" keep getting new model, that's all.

the best thing i like about OGIO is that it has the TORQ strap that serves as a secondary security strap to hold your golf bag to the buggy. The usual buggy strap that goes around the golf bag might give way, and your golf bag might fall off the buggy if you drive through some rough humpy area. This happened a few times to my buggy-mate golf bag
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Reliable and Hardy Stand Bags - Lightweight Preferred   Reliable and Hardy Stand Bags - Lightweight Preferred I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 13, 2013 1:23 pm

Thanks for the recommendations guys!  Will do some research on Sun Mountain.

@coe ... I almost never extend the legs, but they still spoil as quickly ... but then again I always buy budget stand bags on sale, maybe I should pay a bit more for quality ...

I think the problem with the legs for me is that when you squeeze them onto the buggies, the base and the legs get affected.  Anyone else facing this problem?

@Slinger, not for walking 18, just that the ranges I go to (KGPA and KLGCC), the car park is damn far from the driving range, at first I thought a few kg extra is ok, but after a while damm sian ... also, with a hatchback, getting a heavy bag in and out of the back can be a bit tiring

In fact, I have taken out the extra golf balls I carry (used to take at least 2 dzn, now just 1), replaced my 5 hybrid with an iron and taken out the 3 wood and spare 60deg just to save weight
Back to top Go down
devil_wq
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Reliable and Hardy Stand Bags - Lightweight Preferred   Reliable and Hardy Stand Bags - Lightweight Preferred I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 13, 2013 1:24 pm

The older Nike Xtreme (not so sure about the newer ones) is still one of the most sturdy stand bags in my opinion. Nothing fancy in terms of design but priced very well.

For Sun Mountain stand bags from personal experience, I still find that they don't stand upright very well. But as stand bags, they are almost perfect. Currently looking at the H2NO cart bag below which is very light and yet sturdy when standing upright.

Reliable and Hardy Stand Bags - Lightweight Preferred Sun-Mountain-H2NO-Cart-Bag-Pro-Golf
Back to top Go down
jocheang
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Reliable and Hardy Stand Bags - Lightweight Preferred   Reliable and Hardy Stand Bags - Lightweight Preferred I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 13, 2013 2:11 pm

The Ping Hoofer is a great stand bag, should definitely consider.
Back to top Go down
KCL
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
KCL

PostSubject: Re: Reliable and Hardy Stand Bags - Lightweight Preferred   Reliable and Hardy Stand Bags - Lightweight Preferred I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 13, 2013 2:34 pm

Agree on the Ping Hoofer. Very well made, sturdy legs. Only wish is 14 separate compartments.
Back to top Go down
imrog
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Reliable and Hardy Stand Bags - Lightweight Preferred   Reliable and Hardy Stand Bags - Lightweight Preferred I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 13, 2013 3:27 pm

Hi Derek,
you can try the Ping Traverse for a lightweight cart bag. Using it now, very nice and light. Has a pocket for your bushnell too.
http://www.ping.com/bags/cart.aspx
Back to top Go down
devil_wq
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Reliable and Hardy Stand Bags - Lightweight Preferred   Reliable and Hardy Stand Bags - Lightweight Preferred I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 13, 2013 5:56 pm

The hoofer too can't stand upright very well with a full set of clubs... Otherwise, great stand bag. Sold to a nice bro here some time back...
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

PostSubject: Re: Reliable and Hardy Stand Bags - Lightweight Preferred   Reliable and Hardy Stand Bags - Lightweight Preferred I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 13, 2013 7:37 pm

Derek wrote:

In fact, I have taken out the extra golf balls I carry (used to take at least 2 dzn, now just 1), replaced my 5 hybrid with an iron and taken out the 3 wood and spare 60deg just to save weight
league player carry 2 doz balls....

bo standard.... pui!!

Very Happy

anyway, if its was me looking, its a toss between the ogio and the sun mountain....

i have the old ogio grom.... love it

but the sun mountain 4/5 or hybrid look enticing....

this coming from a NON-golf equipment anonymous...
Back to top Go down
flashpacker
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Reliable and Hardy Stand Bags - Lightweight Preferred   Reliable and Hardy Stand Bags - Lightweight Preferred I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 13, 2013 7:46 pm

The Sun Mountain 4 Five is exactly what Im looking for. Is this sold in Sg?
Back to top Go down
Denmeister
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Denmeister

PostSubject: Re: Reliable and Hardy Stand Bags - Lightweight Preferred   Reliable and Hardy Stand Bags - Lightweight Preferred I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 13, 2013 9:30 pm

I currently rotate between 2 stand bags. 

A blue titleist lightweight one that has lasted me 3.5 years and still going strong.
A second hand Ogio grom which I feel is a lot heavier than the titleist.

When do I rotate them? When one gets caught in the rain or when the straps starts to smell due to perspiration.

To me, the 2 most important factors to extend the life of standbags are: 

1) don't just drop it on the ground harshly during the game and when loading unloading from the boot.

2) keep it light so that the weakest points are not stressed.  In my bag, I have 14 clubs, 5 balls, a 1 liter water bottle which is just nice for 9 holes, a few tees, sunscreen, face towel, a plastic range tee, two gloves and at times, a rangefinder.

I do not carry a rain Hood, or an umbrella.

By keeping it a no frills bag, I am able to prolong their lifespan.  Mind you, i play walking golf most of the time which is about 4 to 5 times a week.
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

PostSubject: Re: Reliable and Hardy Stand Bags - Lightweight Preferred   Reliable and Hardy Stand Bags - Lightweight Preferred I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 13, 2013 9:40 pm

Denmeister wrote:

Mind you, i play walking golf most of the time which is about 4 to 5 times a week.
 affraid affraid affraid
Back to top Go down
Denmeister
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Denmeister

PostSubject: Re: Reliable and Hardy Stand Bags - Lightweight Preferred   Reliable and Hardy Stand Bags - Lightweight Preferred I_icon_minitimeTue Aug 13, 2013 9:52 pm

slinger wrote:
Denmeister wrote:

Mind you, i play walking golf most of the time which is about 4 to 5 times a week.
 affraid affraid affraid
 why? Envy ah?

when is our next game?
Back to top Go down
kraken
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
kraken

PostSubject: Re: Reliable and Hardy Stand Bags - Lightweight Preferred   Reliable and Hardy Stand Bags - Lightweight Preferred I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 14, 2013 2:02 am

Denmeister, no offense & I'm no racist. From your avatar were u born in Bangladesh?
Back to top Go down
kamen
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
kamen

PostSubject: Re: Reliable and Hardy Stand Bags - Lightweight Preferred   Reliable and Hardy Stand Bags - Lightweight Preferred I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 14, 2013 2:54 am

Got a couple of lightweight Mizuno Aerolite standbags from great bros here as gifts and so far the recipients are happily using them without any fuss.
Pros: Price, Feather-weight, Kabuki organizer, reasonable storage space, quality materials/fittings and good color scheme.
Cons: Due to the bag's compactness, it's not recommended for 14 clubs with headcovers.
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/spcasingapore
Denmeister
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Denmeister

PostSubject: Re: Reliable and Hardy Stand Bags - Lightweight Preferred   Reliable and Hardy Stand Bags - Lightweight Preferred I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 14, 2013 8:05 am

kraken wrote:
Denmeister, no offense & I'm no racist. From your avatar were u born in Bangladesh?
 i used to be whiter than Snow White before i started golfing.
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Reliable and Hardy Stand Bags - Lightweight Preferred   Reliable and Hardy Stand Bags - Lightweight Preferred I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 14, 2013 9:18 am

Thanks for all the recommendations guys!  For those using OGIO, does it stand nicely without extending the legs?
Back to top Go down
FVTPL
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Reliable and Hardy Stand Bags - Lightweight Preferred   Reliable and Hardy Stand Bags - Lightweight Preferred I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 14, 2013 9:22 am

is it cheaper to get golf bags in US? I will be popping over to US for 2 weeks (Chicago and NYC). 

Any recommendations?
Back to top Go down
jtek
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Reliable and Hardy Stand Bags - Lightweight Preferred   Reliable and Hardy Stand Bags - Lightweight Preferred I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 15, 2013 4:21 am

Derek wrote:
Thanks for all the recommendations guys!  For those using OGIO, does it stand nicely without extending the legs?
 Hi Derek, yes it does stand nicely. I seldom use my extending legs..... I mean the bag's leg....
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Reliable and Hardy Stand Bags - Lightweight Preferred   Reliable and Hardy Stand Bags - Lightweight Preferred I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Reliable and Hardy Stand Bags - Lightweight Preferred
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next