Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Lightweight clubs

Go down 
+4
scottycollector
pushslice
costajos
Ocean
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Ocean
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Lightweight clubs Empty
PostSubject: Lightweight clubs   Lightweight clubs I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2012 2:52 pm

Hi all, any comment on which brands are lighter. Also, is Japan spec clubs lighter in general?
Is there any compromise in performance for lighter clubs?
I am interested in lightweight clubs, gut feel is they would be easier to control. I feel that my irons(ping G2) are a bit heavy, hence, a bit unstable at top of backswing.
Welcome your comments and advice. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
costajos
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

Lightweight clubs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lightweight clubs   Lightweight clubs I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2012 3:00 pm

are you referring to the club heads or shaft?
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

Lightweight clubs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lightweight clubs   Lightweight clubs I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2012 3:15 pm

you could be playing a shaft that's too heavy or too stiff

visit a clubfitter to try different shafts offered in the market today, see if you can feel the difference

options range from 50-60 gr graphite to 120+ gr steel shaft
Back to top Go down
scottycollector
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
scottycollector

Lightweight clubs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lightweight clubs   Lightweight clubs I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2012 3:28 pm

it is not necessarily true that lightweight clubs are easier to control. one thing that is true about lighter clubs is that it will increase your swing speed. but increased speed does not necessarily mean more control.

i believe that there's an optimum weight for each individual. if it's too heavy, you will struggle from the outset of your backswing as you can't handle the weight. if it's too light, u actually lose stability and hence control. the key is to finding a weight that suits you.

That aside, japan spec clubs are usually lighter and their shafts are less stiff than their US counterparts. this is mainly becos they use heavier & stiffer shafts. eg if you look at a set of Taylormade irons - japan specs usually come with NSpro which is 95grams, as opposed to the US specs, which comes with true temper, which is 100+grams.

at the end of the day, PS is right in that you need to go and try out different shafts. then u will know which suits u best
Back to top Go down
Ocean
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Lightweight clubs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lightweight clubs   Lightweight clubs I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2012 3:31 pm

costajos wrote:
are you referring to the club heads or shaft?
I mean total weight. Of course it must properly balanced so that the swing weight is appropriate.
Back to top Go down
blee67
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
blee67

Lightweight clubs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lightweight clubs   Lightweight clubs I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2012 3:34 pm

pushslice wrote:

visit a clubfitter to try different shafts offered in the market today, see if you can feel the difference

Or like somebody hitting a mile with a 39g shaft... Very Happy Have you bought it yet?
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

Lightweight clubs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lightweight clubs   Lightweight clubs I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2012 3:36 pm

blee wrote:
pushslice wrote:

Or like somebody hitting a mile with a 39g shaft... Very Happy Have you bought it yet?

Yes! not in my hands yet tho..
Back to top Go down
blee67
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
blee67

Lightweight clubs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lightweight clubs   Lightweight clubs I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2012 3:49 pm

pushslice wrote:
blee wrote:
pushslice wrote:

Yes! not in my hands yet tho..

So another one joined the dark side liao.... clown
Back to top Go down
Ocean
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Lightweight clubs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lightweight clubs   Lightweight clubs I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2012 3:54 pm

Scottycollector, for the Japan vs US spec, is the difference mainly in shaft weight, do they use the same head (for the same model)?

Being a lefty, I don't have much opportunity to try different clubs, hence, try to narrow the range of most suitable brands and modelS, else paiseh to knock on the doors of all the club fitters.

I recently try a heavier shaft (+10grams) for one iron, can feel the weight Embarassed Don't really like it.

On the other hand, I bought a maruman 7 wood and callaway 5 wood, and Cleveland 5 hybrid to try try. I like the maruman the best, can hit it close to my driver distance. Though I dont have the scale to weight them, just felt that maruman is the lightest, and hence easier to hit it right.

Back to top Go down
lsh87
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Lightweight clubs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lightweight clubs   Lightweight clubs I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2012 4:20 pm

I personally feel that a lightweight club gives me high club head speed which might mean further distance but a heavier club definitely gives me more feel and control over the shot. A balance has to be found between the 2 points. Smile
Back to top Go down
snagy23
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
snagy23

Lightweight clubs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lightweight clubs   Lightweight clubs I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2012 4:48 pm

I do agree that it is important to strike a balance.
Found that heavier clubs can at time destabilise the swing and tempo too.
Smile
Back to top Go down
scottycollector
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
scottycollector

Lightweight clubs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lightweight clubs   Lightweight clubs I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2012 5:26 pm

Ocean wrote:
Scottycollector, for the Japan vs US spec, is the difference mainly in shaft weight, do they use the same head (for the same model)?

Being a lefty, I don't have much opportunity to try different clubs, hence, try to narrow the range of most suitable brands and modelS, else paiseh to knock on the doors of all the club fitters.

I recently try a heavier shaft (+10grams) for one iron, can feel the weight Embarassed Don't really like it.

On the other hand, I bought a maruman 7 wood and callaway 5 wood, and Cleveland 5 hybrid to try try. I like the maruman the best, can hit it close to my driver distance. Though I dont have the scale to weight them, just felt that maruman is the lightest, and hence easier to hit it right.

if u are comparing the exact same model of clubs, then i think the difference in weight lies only in the shaft. this would be the case for the vast majority of japan vs us spec clubs.

note though that there are some special japan versions, where the club head also looks slightly different. in these cases, the head weight may also be different.

i'm not a lefty so i dont know how hard it is to find demo clubs to try out. nonetheless, it's best that you try out the clubs first before buying them. apart from clubfitters, u can also go to big branches like golf house to try out their demo clubs.
Back to top Go down
Zig Zag
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

Lightweight clubs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lightweight clubs   Lightweight clubs I_icon_minitimeTue Oct 02, 2012 6:04 pm

Maybe you can try the BFG CB003J irons.
Simply love my CB003. The J model is lighter so maybe you want to go it a try.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Lightweight clubs Empty
PostSubject: Re: Lightweight clubs   Lightweight clubs I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Lightweight clubs
Page 1 of 1