Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Putting - Lost the feel

Go down 
+25
hkhamateur
playgolf
skybobo
Derek
jason.koh.54966
element17
MPA
sunnydaze
essentiale
maslie
TLHENG
jaketang
willie24
s-killer
Bangla123
beehome
mtheseira
kwannick
andrew-golf
imrog
trueflight2003
asahi
DGman
swine
29 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
essentiale
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

Putting - Lost the feel - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Putting - Lost the feel   Putting - Lost the feel - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 05, 2013 10:24 am

swine wrote:
TLHENG wrote:
Take up aim-point putting lesson. It helps.

Where can I find such lesson?

You just missed the lessons held last week.

Contact Steven Guiliano, search him on Facebook, or search aimpoint golf Asia on Facebook to check when he's next in town. I personally took the level 1 lessons and found them very useful. Became more confident with what I was seeing, and better able to gauge the speed to hit each putt. The system does not teach mechanics however so do take note, it is a green reading system to help you read putts. Whether you can hit the putt to keep the ball on line and into the hole is still up to you and your stroke.

Cheers
Back to top Go down
sunnydaze
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Putting - Lost the feel   Putting - Lost the feel - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 05, 2013 11:36 am

maslie wrote:
swine wrote:
Hi All,
My last three games was literally "killed" by poor putting. I counted 14 holes of 3 putts during my "worst" game.
The feel is lost, can't find the line, and can't get the pace...

Please help me gain back my losses... fellow GRs, please share.
1. how you grip your putter,
2. how you stand.
3. how you look down at the ball
4. how you swing
5. how you control the pace

Thank you!

Hi swine, If you have no clue where to start to fix your problems, here are some way to get start.
By fixing your question no.1, IMO it will eventually take care the rest of your questions. With a wrong grip size and length / lie angle you'll can never make a good grip.

Some clues and reasons why you need visit your fitter:

https://goodeputter.com/DEO_2.html

https://goodeputter.com/LIE_ANGLE.html

Hope helps you some way Cheers Jump

I am Right hand dominant but my dominant eye is Left! I was told during my recruit time that this is not very common. Since started golf about 2 years ago, I have been wondering what kind of off set I need for my putter..

Thanks Maslie!

Back to top Go down
swine
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Putting - Lost the feel   Putting - Lost the feel - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 05, 2013 11:47 am

essentiale wrote:
swine wrote:
TLHENG wrote:
Take up aim-point putting lesson. It helps.

Where can I find such lesson?

You just missed the lessons held last week.

Contact Steven Guiliano, search him on Facebook, or search aimpoint golf Asia on Facebook to check when he's next in town. I personally took the level 1 lessons and found them very useful. Became more confident with what I was seeing, and better able to gauge the speed to hit each putt. The system does not teach mechanics however so do take note, it is a green reading system to help you read putts. Whether you can hit the putt to keep the ball on line and into the hole is still up to you and your stroke.

Cheers

Thanks for the info!
I am interested to take up aimpoint lesson!
Back to top Go down
MPA
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Putting - Lost the feel   Putting - Lost the feel - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 05, 2013 2:14 pm

how to know if we are using the left brain?

DGman wrote:
its a case of using the left brain and not the right.....you can ask those who have tried it and it can be fix in under 30 minutes.......

comments any one?
Back to top Go down
essentiale
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Putting - Lost the feel   Putting - Lost the feel - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 05, 2013 2:35 pm

MPA wrote:

DGman wrote:
its a case of using the left brain and not the right.....you can ask those who have tried it and it can be fix in under 30 minutes.......

comments any one?

http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-instruction/short-game/putting/2010-10/putting-guy-yocom-brain

Essentially it's using your subconscious to roll the putt, don't over think it. You sign your signature without thinking anything right? You can also roll that putt into the hole by focusing on the line, and trusting the stroke.
Back to top Go down
element17
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Putting - Lost the feel   Putting - Lost the feel - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 05, 2013 10:36 pm

dear ts, somehow it seems like you were quite happy with your putting in the past. but just felt lost in the last 3 games cos you putted real badly right? if you're just trying to get back to your previous level, then i guess you should get the feel back naturally. That's the funny part about this game; you play well today, but you might also play damn badly the next day, on the same course.

cheer up! am sure you'll be back to putting as before again.
Back to top Go down
swine
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Putting - Lost the feel   Putting - Lost the feel - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeWed Jun 05, 2013 11:10 pm

essentiale wrote:
MPA wrote:

DGman wrote:

comments any one?

http://www.golfdigest.com/golf-instruction/short-game/putting/2010-10/putting-guy-yocom-brain

Essentially it's using your subconscious to roll the putt, don't over think it. You sign your signature without thinking anything right? You can also roll that putt into the hole by focusing on the line, and trusting the stroke.

Yes true... right frame of mind with great confidence do wonders....
Back to top Go down
maslie
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
maslie

PostSubject: Re: Putting - Lost the feel   Putting - Lost the feel - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 06, 2013 7:12 pm

sunnydaze wrote:
maslie wrote:
swine wrote:
Hi All,
My last three games was literally "killed" by poor putting. I counted 14 holes of 3 putts during my "worst" game.
The feel is lost, can't find the line, and can't get the pace...

Please help me gain back my losses... fellow GRs, please share.
1. how you grip your putter,
2. how you stand.
3. how you look down at the ball
4. how you swing
5. how you control the pace

Thank you!

Hi swine, If you have no clue where to start to fix your problems, here are some way to get start.
By fixing your question no.1, IMO it will eventually take care the rest of your questions. With a wrong grip size and length / lie angle you'll can never make a good grip.

Some clues and reasons why you need visit your fitter:

https://goodeputter.com/DEO_2.html

https://goodeputter.com/LIE_ANGLE.html

Hope helps you some way Cheers Jump

I am Right hand dominant but my dominant eye is Left! I was told during my recruit time that this is not very common. Since started golf about 2 years ago, I have been wondering what kind of off set I need for my putter..

Thanks Maslie!

You are welcome.
Perhaps you want to try this, http://www.brexgolf.com/modular-design/. But it's in different balance though, hope they'll come up with same balance Very Happy

Apologize if OT.
Back to top Go down
mtheseira
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Putting - Lost the feel   Putting - Lost the feel - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 10, 2013 9:44 pm

with putting, it's all about keeping the head still. I noticed that if my head moves abit, I tend to miss putts. keep staring straight down even after hitting the putt, that should help
Back to top Go down
element17
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Putting - Lost the feel   Putting - Lost the feel - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 10, 2013 11:03 pm

sorry if i'm side tracking away from the putting topic here;

i've been really bad with my short game (esp. chips and lobs) for the past few months. then today, i gamed and suddenly felt damn good! The usual thoughts that I would hit fat or thin on these chips even before I address; were all gone and I was hitting happily on to the greens or near pins. It feels as though I'm getting the feeling back again.

To this point, I think it's worth a mention here. It will be highly likely that such feelings applies to the putting problem you're encountering I certain.
Back to top Go down
jason.koh.54966
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
jason.koh.54966

PostSubject: Re: Putting - Lost the feel   Putting - Lost the feel - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 10, 2013 11:08 pm

This was what I learnt from the Someone recently. Alight your putter, look at the hole (do not look at the ball) and putt. Practice on this and then later try putting with your eyes close.
Once the feel is back , put as per the right way.
Works for me, hope it help.
Back to top Go down
swine
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Putting - Lost the feel   Putting - Lost the feel - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 20, 2013 10:56 am

Had a game yesterday. Still bad! 15 x 3 putts! Help....
Back to top Go down
andrew-golf
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
andrew-golf

PostSubject: Re: Putting - Lost the feel   Putting - Lost the feel - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 20, 2013 11:00 am

swine wrote:

think u have to ride thru this and bite the bullet

i also had the same experience and lasted for months. change putter every 2 games till my flightmates laugh at me

they also laughed at me saying sixes i hex my team mate cos we play 2nd ball score also

can even miss a 2 footer putt.. that little confidence

but the confidence and feel will suddenly come back and u will discover that magic stroke and way to grip your putter

yesterday front 9 i missed 4 short putts... par become bogey... back 9 relaxed a bit and managed to putt better and ran in a few consequtive good holes..

this is golf.. just have to relax and play and enjoy

hope this helps
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Putting - Lost the feel   Putting - Lost the feel - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 20, 2013 11:15 am

Sometimes when we 3 putt very often, we think it is our stroke because we keep missing short (or perhaps not so short putts).  However, if the so called short 2nd putt is about 5-6 feet, then it acutally is not that short.

The table below shows the baseline percentages from the PGA Tour, some of the best golfers in the world.

Even for them, at 5 feet, they will miss 1/4 of the time.  And they are good.  For the social high handicap golfer, I half recall the make percentage is less than 20%

If that is what you are facing, then the issue is likely more a distance control problem (or a green reading problem) with the first putt, leaving a long 2nd putt left.

In that case, the only real solution is to practice distance control and long putts, until you leave yourself a 2nd putt inside 4 feet.

If you are already leaving yourself putts inside 4 feet and missing them, it is probably more a mental issue, alignment issue or eyesight issue because there is no way you would have hit the first putt that close if you did not have a decent putting stroke.  In which case there are several mental coaches around offering help (search the forum threads) ...

If your first putt is usually more than 60 feet away, then even for Pros it is considered "3-putt" territory, let alone us.  Don't beat yourself up over it and make sure to include practicing that distance when you can.

I feel you pain but hang in there bro ... and sometimes when you are trying to work on something, it might help not to bet or count score for a while and just enjoy each shot as it comes until you get your confidence back ...

Last edited by Derek on Thu Jun 20, 2013 11:18 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Putting - Lost the feel   Putting - Lost the feel - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 20, 2013 11:16 am

DISTANCEONE PUTTTWO PUTTTHREE PUTTS-PlusEXPECTED PUTTS AVG.
1 foot100%0.0%0.0%1.001
2 feet99%0.6%0.1%1.009
3 feet95%5%0.2%1.053
4 feet86%14%0.2%1.147
5 feet75%25%0.3%1.256
6 feet65%35%0.3%1.357
7 feet56%44%0.4%1.443
Back to top Go down
andrew-golf
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
andrew-golf

PostSubject: Re: Putting - Lost the feel   Putting - Lost the feel - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 20, 2013 11:17 am

some times  the more u try to find the answer, you wont find it

but when u r not looking, the answer will find u
Back to top Go down
skybobo
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Putting - Lost the feel   Putting - Lost the feel - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 20, 2013 11:58 am

swine wrote:
without looking at how you putt, I guess no one can offer you useful advise.
it could be you are not aiming where you are aiming....etc etc
but for most cases, 3 putts resulted from a lousy 1st putt whereby you leave yourself with too much to do on the 2nd putt
Is that the case bro?
What is your ave 2nd putt distance?
Back to top Go down
playgolf
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Putting - Lost the feel   Putting - Lost the feel - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 20, 2013 2:53 pm

Which is the correct putting posture? straight back or hunch back?
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Putting - Lost the feel   Putting - Lost the feel - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 20, 2013 3:52 pm

Is there even such a thing as a correct putting posture? Perhaps someone with spinal curvature might be different?

Also, some who is slim and someone who has a excess body mass may have the same spine angle but when viewed externally it might look like the fat guy is hunching ...

To me your putting posture must feel relaxed and comfortable ... how are you supposed to visualise the pace and "feel" the stroke if you are trying to force your body into an unnatural position and have to concentrate of keeping your body there?
Back to top Go down
skybobo
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Putting - Lost the feel   Putting - Lost the feel - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 20, 2013 4:32 pm

playgolf wrote:
up to you as long as you feel comfortable or as long as the ball go inda hole
Back to top Go down
hkhamateur
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
hkhamateur

PostSubject: Re: Putting - Lost the feel   Putting - Lost the feel - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 20, 2013 5:13 pm

skybobo wrote:
playgolf wrote:
up to you as long as you feel comfortable or as long as the ball go inda hole

Individual la.
U can bent over 90deg just like Michelle Wee oso can putt n inda hole...hehe
Back to top Go down
swine
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Putting - Lost the feel   Putting - Lost the feel - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 20, 2013 6:38 pm

My sincere appreciation to all the bros for your posts.
I hope to get my putting sorted and start posting lower scores
Back to top Go down
swine
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Putting - Lost the feel   Putting - Lost the feel - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Jun 20, 2013 10:11 pm

I do have poor distance control recently. Putt too soft when up slope. Putt too hard when down slope. It feels like I tried too hard to control the pace and putt too hard.

There are a few 4 feet misses which I thought went very closed. These are likely my poor reading of the line and also poor alignment.

Overall, I have totally no confident with my putting...
Back to top Go down
playgolf
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Putting - Lost the feel   Putting - Lost the feel - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 21, 2013 11:10 am

Maybe buy a putting mat and practice at home may help.
Back to top Go down
SGGolfCoaching
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
SGGolfCoaching

PostSubject: Re: Putting - Lost the feel   Putting - Lost the feel - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Aug 30, 2013 11:43 am

Below is a link to series of putting articles I wrote for ParGolf Magazine in Malaysia, you can download the PDF's straight from my website for free, topics covered are:

1. Green Reading
2. Aim
3. Stroke
4. Speed Control

ParGolf Magazine - Short Game Savers

Look forward to hearing your feedback.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Putting - Lost the feel   Putting - Lost the feel - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Putting - Lost the feel
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next