Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Golf Shafts......good read!

Go down 
+9
eiji
Gray
DGman
audi
pocketace
vodkalim
Gofnut
skybobo
IGT
13 posters
AuthorMessage
IGT
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
IGT

Golf Shafts......good read! Empty
PostSubject: Golf Shafts......good read!   Golf Shafts......good read! I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 03, 2013 10:34 am

Here are some FAQ's about golf shafts.
Hopefully it'll answer some of your own questions.

Shaft stiffness:
A stiff shaft will launch the ball lower than a more whippy shaft.
It is also said that a stiffer shaft will give you a fade and a more flexible shaft will give you a draw.

Shaft Kickpoint:
Shaft kickpoint is where the shaft flexes the most.
A higher kick point will give a lower launch, while a lower kick point will give a higher launch.

Shaft Weight:
A heavier shaft can help you get more control over your shots but you might find a loss in distance as it can slow down your SS.
A lighter shaft can increase SS but it will be harder to control.

Shaft Length:
The same as shaft weight. A shorter shaft will help with control but you might find a loss in distance. A longer shaft will increase SS but it will be harder to control.

NOTE: Cut-and-paste from http://thesandtrap.com/t/36964/shaft-faqs

Back to top Go down
skybobo
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golf Shafts......good read!   Golf Shafts......good read! I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 03, 2013 11:30 am

Oh I need a long and light shaft to drive longer than pocketace. Now at least 30m behind him
Back to top Go down
Gofnut
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golf Shafts......good read!   Golf Shafts......good read! I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 03, 2013 11:45 am

IGT wrote:

Here are some FAQ's about golf shafts.
Hopefully it'll answer some of your own questions.

Shaft stiffness:
It is also said that a stiffer shaft will give you a fade and a more flexible shaft will give you a draw.

Shaft Kickpoint:
A higher kick point will give a lower launch, while a lower kick point will give a higher launch.

Shaft Weight:
A heavier shaft can help you get more control over your shots but you might find a loss in distance as it can slow down your SS.

Shaft Length:
The same as shaft weight. A shorter shaft will help with control but you might find a loss in distance. A longer shaft will increase SS but it will be harder to control.

NOTE: Cut-and-paste from http://thesandtrap.com/t/36964/shaft-faqs

Thanks for sharing. Simple and to the point!
Back to top Go down
vodkalim
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golf Shafts......good read!   Golf Shafts......good read! I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 03, 2013 9:50 pm

Thx bro good read
Back to top Go down
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
pocketace

PostSubject: Re: Golf Shafts......good read!   Golf Shafts......good read! I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 03, 2013 10:07 pm

skybobo wrote:
Oh I need a long and light shaft to drive longer than pocketace. Now at least 30m behind him

Don't talk c&@k!
No wonder during lunch today you talked about longer shaft
Go to gym
See a swing coach
Swing
Back to top Go down
audi
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
audi

PostSubject: Re: Golf Shafts......good read!   Golf Shafts......good read! I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 03, 2013 11:06 pm

nice article. all of them are true!
Back to top Go down
IGT
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
IGT

PostSubject: Re: Golf Shafts......good read!   Golf Shafts......good read! I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 03, 2013 11:07 pm

audi wrote:
nice article. all of them are true!

Missed out the "torque" Smile
Back to top Go down
audi
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
audi

PostSubject: Re: Golf Shafts......good read!   Golf Shafts......good read! I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 04, 2013 12:18 am

ahhh... what about torque? what are the faqs?
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: Golf Shafts......good read!   Golf Shafts......good read! I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 04, 2013 9:52 am

The FAQ is text book and while it sounds logical, its not.....

Shaft stiffness:

this is not true, a shaft thats stiffer than what you are supposed to play can result in a higher than desired fade shot.

Shaft Kickpoint:

the most efficient way is to get the wood head with the desired loft, if one hits down on the ball (negative angle of attack), getting a more lofted club will do more to lower the ball flight than switching to the high kick shaft. i am sure those who have been fitted before understands this and thats why we have blokes swinging on 110 mph head speed on 12 degree driver heads and they added that they have never seen a lower ball flight compared to when they were using 8.5 degree drivers..

on can also check WITB of pros like Carl Petersson who is choose a 11.5 degree driver and a mid kick shaft over a text book fit of a lower lofted driver and a higher kick shaft. he is also famed for using a 50+ g shaft.

WITB Carl Pettersson

Shaft Weight:

The above proves that this is not right. also when one reads threads on foreign golf forum, they are all talking about 300 yards drivers (true or not, its up to your imagination. but structurally, they are lightly to be 6 foot 100 kgs golfers compared to most of us on this forum. so before you read and take in what i view as a lot of crap on some of them, be selective about what you read and believe.

Shaft Length:

length is a matter of comfort and what suits your timing. if you remember Anthony Kim...at the height of his career he was winning and choking down a good 2 plus inch means his driver was in the 43 inch range. he was bombing his drivers over 300 yards with a fair amount of accuracy. distance is all relative to not just club head speed but smash factor as well.

Anthony Kim Stats

OEM retail brands (for reasons best known to themselves) harp on swing speed but totally leave out smash factor. again for those who have been fitted before will understand that an 85 mph SS on a 7 iron with a 1.20 smash factor will generate 145 years shot while another with a 75 mph on the same iron with 1.35 smash factor can get 10 yards longer (155 yards)

be careful what you read and what you choose to believe...i know of golfers who spent a small fortune on shafts only to find out much later that its their swing that needs scrutiny.

hope it helps......DGman

Back to top Go down
http://www.bigfishes.com
Gray
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Gray

PostSubject: Re: Golf Shafts......good read!   Golf Shafts......good read! I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 04, 2013 10:03 am

DGman wrote:

be careful what you read and what you choose to believe...i know of golfers who spent a small fortune on shafts only to find out much later that its their swing that needs scrutiny.

These words of wisdom are the same that I received from DG man many years back has been stuck in my mind since.
Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: Golf Shafts......good read!   Golf Shafts......good read! I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 04, 2013 10:22 am

no wonder i am sounding like a broken record........my wife was asking me what i was mumbling about in my dreams......

When the buying stops, the training begins.....
Back to top Go down
http://www.bigfishes.com
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
eiji

PostSubject: Re: Golf Shafts......good read!   Golf Shafts......good read! I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 04, 2013 10:42 am

Ahina works for me...the buying stopped..but the training....

no time for it Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://www.idealparts.com.sg
playgolf
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golf Shafts......good read!   Golf Shafts......good read! I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 04, 2013 10:55 am

Great info.
So how should one go about when buying a driver? Just buy the driver and immediately get it reshaft to suit your swing?
Back to top Go down
Gray
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Gray

PostSubject: Re: Golf Shafts......good read!   Golf Shafts......good read! I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 04, 2013 11:11 am

playgolf wrote:
Great info.
So how should one go about when buying a driver? Just buy the driver and immediately get it reshaft to suit your swing?

I think the idea is with whatever you buy, if you have good swing, you will be able to use it. everytime you hit, the balls will fly exactly the same way and land exactly the same direction(always slightly left or always slightly right) and same distance most of the time.

Once you reach that level, then you go fitting for the correct shaft, lie, swing weight etc.

The fitter will adjust until you ball flight reaches optimum level, ball fly straighter, further etc.

you will know when you swing is consistent. For me, I am beginning to feel the soft feeling in 3 out of 10 shots. Once I get to the 80% to 90% level, I know I am ready for fitting
Back to top Go down
chanwkit
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golf Shafts......good read!   Golf Shafts......good read! I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 04, 2013 9:21 pm

Good info. What is the different between stock shaft vs after market shaft?
Back to top Go down
Gray
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Gray

PostSubject: Re: Golf Shafts......good read!   Golf Shafts......good read! I_icon_minitimeThu Apr 04, 2013 9:28 pm

chanwkit wrote:
Good info. What is the different between stock shaft vs after market shaft?

Technically I don't know.

Feeling wise, my clubs with after market shaft is stiffer and less wobbly giving me more confidence to hit the ball while not losing distance. Some of the second hand clubs I have already come with after market shafts.
Back to top Go down
krone
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Golf Shafts......good read!   Golf Shafts......good read! I_icon_minitimeMon Apr 08, 2013 3:02 am

have been wanting to find out more about different shafts... very good read!!! thanks!!!

how about different brands? seems to be seeing alot of miyazaki shafts... are these very good?
Back to top Go down
9points
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
9points

PostSubject: Re: Golf Shafts......good read!   Golf Shafts......good read! I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 17, 2013 10:39 pm

Check out the latest update from Carl Pettersson !!

Lighter and longer that is Smile

http://www.pgatour.com/equipmentreport/2013/04/16/pettersson-testing-project-x-driver-shaft.html

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Golf Shafts......good read!   Golf Shafts......good read! I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Golf Shafts......good read!
Page 1 of 1