Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Japanese Iron Set

Go down 
+17
Slicer51
audi
Sandypar
Derek
DGman
Begbie
jeffman88
nientsu
Technospaz
Duval_S
pug
pushslice
wolverine
edgolf
enwee
ironstarz
rkangrah
21 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
rkangrah
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

Japanese Iron Set  Empty
PostSubject: Japanese Iron Set    Japanese Iron Set  I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2012 1:13 pm

I have couple questions regarding Japanese Iron Set:
1. Which Japanese Iron Set is the most forgiving?
2. Does that iron set have a easy to hit long irons?
3. That iron set must come with NS Pro 950 GH shaft.

FYI I'm a 18 handicap. Play only once a month.

Thanks in advance. Cheers.
Back to top Go down
ironstarz
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
ironstarz

Japanese Iron Set  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Japanese Iron Set    Japanese Iron Set  I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2012 1:17 pm

Buddy. Your question ah v generic leh ,its like asking which steak is the best , and is it tender enough and can be flame grilled or pan grilled.

Joke aside , quite a number out there , one of the good iron set people are raving about now is the BFG iron, u may want to check it out? Shaft wise is up to you what u want to have Smile
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

Japanese Iron Set  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Japanese Iron Set    Japanese Iron Set  I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2012 1:17 pm

Yamaha or fourteen imho. But now most set come from 5-p
Back to top Go down
rkangrah
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

Japanese Iron Set  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Japanese Iron Set    Japanese Iron Set  I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2012 1:22 pm

ironstarz wrote:
Buddy. Your question ah v generic leh ,its like asking which steak is the best , and is it tender enough and can be flame grilled or pan grilled.

Joke aside , quite a number out there , one of the good iron set people are raving about now is the BFG iron, u may want to check it out? Shaft wise is up to you what u want to have Smile

yeah generic question since I don't know anything about Japanese clubs. All I know is Mizuno.

Can you recommend an iron set ? Make and model?
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

Japanese Iron Set  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Japanese Iron Set    Japanese Iron Set  I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2012 1:23 pm

rkangrah wrote:
ironstarz wrote:

yeah generic question since I don't know anything about Japanese clubs. All I know is Mizuno.

well best place to try out jap set is either transview or world of golf. Mizuno is carried by golf house.
Back to top Go down
edgolf
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Japanese Iron Set  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Japanese Iron Set    Japanese Iron Set  I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2012 1:26 pm

On/Off irons are also very easy to game........
Back to top Go down
ironstarz
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
ironstarz

Japanese Iron Set  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Japanese Iron Set    Japanese Iron Set  I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2012 1:29 pm

Agree , u may want to pop by Transview , they have a pretty wide range , PRGR , Fourteen , S-Yard etc . Take a swing with their demo club and have a feel , I can't really recommend any model since I myself is not a user of these irons set Smile
Back to top Go down
wolverine
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
wolverine

Japanese Iron Set  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Japanese Iron Set    Japanese Iron Set  I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2012 1:46 pm

rkangrah wrote:

Hi rkangrah,

Check out this link with Slinger, he has a set of on/off iron set with ns pro steel shaft for sale

http://www.golfrepublic.org/t19255-wts-nike-driver-on-off-irons-tm-dual-rescue-hybrid

Cheers
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

Japanese Iron Set  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Japanese Iron Set    Japanese Iron Set  I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2012 1:47 pm

why Jap set if I may ask?

quite hard to determine the "most" or "best" of anything out there. No objective measures. unless you want to trust magazine reviews. Golfpunk had one recently..you can read tourspecgolf for their bestseller irons if you equate best seller to best. golftoimpress blog also have very interesting multiple Jap irons comparison.

unfortunately very few places to try Jap clubs here...there's one studio selling JDMs. Vivogolf.

is bfg considered Japan design? the brand is totally Singapore right? but to my eyes it does share similar profiles with the older Ikasu CB sets...surely with refinements that makes it better. The ikasu cbs are Japanese model.

and there's Honma. very popular with senior golfers so should be easy to hit and long. this one needs serious dough..

Don't forget Mizuno hor. Their JPX series are for high handicapers..saw one on sale in marketplace

but if you want the most forgiving then I wouldnt recommend Miura, Tourstage/Bridgestone irons

I follow mr. Maltby's rating systems..the most forgiving irons in the market are made by Callaway and Ping. Both Callaway and Ping has Japanese models.

hope I don't confuse you further Wink
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

Japanese Iron Set  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Japanese Iron Set    Japanese Iron Set  I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2012 1:50 pm

enwee wrote:
rkangrah wrote:
ironstarz wrote:

well best place to try out jap set is either transview or world of golf. Mizuno is carried by golf house.

test at these places like transview/WOG outlets at Isetan, Takashimaya, Vivocity?

we can only hit against a tarp 3m in front of you, we dunno the ball fly good or not on miss hits...it's a joke

golfhouse still ok lah, there is a launch monitor
Back to top Go down
ironstarz
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
ironstarz

Japanese Iron Set  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Japanese Iron Set    Japanese Iron Set  I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2012 1:54 pm

I believe at Punggol range , the Transview does allow t
esting at the range Wink
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

Japanese Iron Set  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Japanese Iron Set    Japanese Iron Set  I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2012 1:59 pm

ahh there you go..they finally caught on. good for them. that was my pet peeve Razz
Back to top Go down
ironstarz
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
ironstarz

Japanese Iron Set  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Japanese Iron Set    Japanese Iron Set  I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2012 2:08 pm

But other branch would still be the same ole theory , not sure about OCC though
Back to top Go down
pug
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
pug

Japanese Iron Set  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Japanese Iron Set    Japanese Iron Set  I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2012 2:32 pm

rkangrah wrote:

XXIO7. Can try at OCC range rpo shop.
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

Japanese Iron Set  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Japanese Iron Set    Japanese Iron Set  I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2012 2:37 pm

With the current situation.... Ia it ok to use Japanese irons when one play in china?
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

Japanese Iron Set  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Japanese Iron Set    Japanese Iron Set  I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2012 2:40 pm

Duval_S wrote:
With the current situation.... Ia it ok to use Japanese irons when one play in china?

Yes. But it may not be OK to speak in Japanese when one plays in China.
Back to top Go down
nientsu
Caddy
Caddy
nientsu

Japanese Iron Set  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Japanese Iron Set    Japanese Iron Set  I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2012 2:59 pm

Or wear japan flag polo tee.
Back to top Go down
jeffman88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jeffman88

Japanese Iron Set  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Japanese Iron Set    Japanese Iron Set  I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2012 3:13 pm

enwee wrote:
rkangrah wrote:
ironstarz wrote:

I too have a fascination for Japanese golf irons - which has evolved to quite a cult status nowadays... thought maybe we can expand this thread to discuss the generic question of jap clubs.... Smile

I assume rkangrah is referring to iron sets made for the jap domestic market JDM, which tends to be different from the USA mkt or rest of world. Whats sold in the JDM are of higher quality - besides QC they tend to use higher specs ingredients (like maraging steel, titanium, AsRoll and premium stainless steel), more sophisticated manufacturing processes, crafstmanship n exotic industrial finishes and hence more expen$ive.. Jap mindsets are tuned such that they are willing to pay for the best quality possible .. many of their brands are pretty much unheard of to the majority of golfers as they prob spend less marketing dollars except for say Maruman and Mizuno... eg Epon, Yururi, Miura, Kenmochi, Royal Collection, Akira, Yonex,Yamaha, Sky Dream Jump, Saqra, Gold’s Factory and others... In the USA, US500 is considered by most as expensive for say a new driver but wait till they gasp at USD700+ drivers which Ja ps dont even bat an eyelid parting cash for. This goes the same for many other products than golf clubs from Japan, eg fishing reels, car tyres, consumer electronics etc.. Jap forging houses are also quite unparallelled by others in USA China and rest of world - seems many big USA brands use these Jap forging houses to specially customise irons for their sponsored players for unmatched quality n performance.. I wonder why other steel powerhouses like Germany has not gotten into manufacturing for the golf industry - am pretty sure they would definitely give the Japs a run for the money as Solingen steel is like one best in the world too .... Besides clubheads jap made shafts are oso legendary - brands such as Fujikura, Diamana and Graphite Design r amongst the leaders of shaft technology, with players such as Tiger Woods, Ernie Els and Sergio Garcia all having them in their bags, but there are also many ‘boutique' brands within the country that aren't very well known - Names such as Quadra, Roddio and Mamiya Op are all names synonymous with shafts in Japan.

I believe that golf to the japanese is more than a game - its a lifestyle and thats why they are so committed to part good yen for the best it can buy!
Back to top Go down
Begbie
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

Japanese Iron Set  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Japanese Iron Set    Japanese Iron Set  I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2012 10:31 pm

Technospaz wrote:
Duval_S wrote:

Yes. But it may not be OK to speak in Japanese when one plays in China.

China no. 1 Liang wenchong sponsored by honma.... Sure ok la ..

Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

Japanese Iron Set  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Japanese Iron Set    Japanese Iron Set  I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2012 11:04 pm

Honma is now owned by a chinese company. Endo thailand makes clubs for Yamaha, PRGR, Tourstage, Callaway Legacy, Fourteen and Epon.

Niimi san (the global sales agent and consultant to Endo productions) told me that Epon is the #1 component brand in Japan, second is Romaro Re....

also if you check Fourteen website, drivers made in thailand, all fw, hybrids and irons - made in china (except for TC - 930 which is made by Endo). all wedges made in china, all putters - made in china.

i think the days of japanese made clubs are becoming a rarity these days. hence i think the chinese will not be offended if you use a Japanese Branded club.

DGman
Back to top Go down
http://www.bigfishes.com
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

Japanese Iron Set  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Japanese Iron Set    Japanese Iron Set  I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 20, 2012 11:11 pm

rkangrah wrote:

If budget is not a concern, pls take the time to try out PRGR Egg series iron set.

I am assuming that since you are looking for forgiving, you will not mind the slightly unorthodox look.
Back to top Go down
Sandypar
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Japanese Iron Set  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Japanese Iron Set    Japanese Iron Set  I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 21, 2012 1:18 am

The Onoff set should meet your requirements if the flex is right.

Forged set with tungsten inserts on the long irons.

much easier to launch and it looks very forgiving.

looks like its Endo forged

should go try it.

Back to top Go down
audi
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
audi

Japanese Iron Set  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Japanese Iron Set    Japanese Iron Set  I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 21, 2012 8:45 am

there are heaps of japanese irons out there bro. other than mizuno, you can try fourteen. not all of them are soft, but i like tc930, feels very soft. or if you extra cash to blow, you can also try epon or higher end macgregor. for epon, i can say that af702 is the most forgiving. for macgragor, try gold tourney. be aware that most japanese irons are generally more expensive.
Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Slicer51

Japanese Iron Set  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Japanese Iron Set    Japanese Iron Set  I_icon_minitimeFri Sep 21, 2012 9:26 am

rkangrah wrote:

Try KZG irons, also can bro
Back to top Go down
rkangrah
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

Japanese Iron Set  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Japanese Iron Set    Japanese Iron Set  I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 24, 2012 1:58 pm

How about Miura PP-9001? How forgiving is this iron?

Link:
http://www.tourspecgolf.com/product_info.php?products_id=1123
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Japanese Iron Set  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Japanese Iron Set    Japanese Iron Set  I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Japanese Iron Set
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next