Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Taking A Drop

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
IGT
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
IGT

Taking A Drop Empty
PostSubject: Taking A Drop   Taking A Drop I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 03, 2012 6:38 pm

Advice pls...

When taking a drop (regardless penalty or free drop), can we actually spin the ball?

Thx
Back to top Go down
jasGolf
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
jasGolf

Taking A Drop Empty
PostSubject: Re: Taking A Drop   Taking A Drop I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 03, 2012 6:57 pm

I think the answer "drop" is there already..

if not all chu-pattern how ??
Back to top Go down
w_chiang
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
w_chiang

Taking A Drop Empty
PostSubject: Re: Taking A Drop   Taking A Drop I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 03, 2012 7:36 pm

From rules of golf
20-2. Dropping And Re-Dropping
a. By Whom and How
A ball to be dropped under the Rules must be dropped by the player himself. He must stand erect, hold the ball at shoulder height and arm’s length and drop it. If a ball is dropped by any other person or in any other manner and the error is not corrected as provided in Rule 20-6, the player incurs a penalty of one stroke.
Back to top Go down
IGT
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
IGT

Taking A Drop Empty
PostSubject: Re: Taking A Drop   Taking A Drop I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 03, 2012 7:54 pm

w_chiang wrote:
From rules of golf
a. By Whom and How
A ball to be dropped under the Rules must be dropped by the player himself. He must stand erect, hold the ball at shoulder height and arm’s length and drop it. If a ball is dropped by any other person or in any other manner and the error is not corrected as provided in Rule 20-6, the player incurs a penalty of one stroke.

Yes, player to drop and address described, but deliberately spin the ball upon dropping.
It can be forespin or backspin depending on the lies. Is the spinning act against the rule?
Back to top Go down
w_chiang
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
w_chiang

Taking A Drop Empty
PostSubject: Re: Taking A Drop   Taking A Drop I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 03, 2012 8:42 pm

[quote="IGT"]
w_chiang wrote:
From rules of golf
a. By Whom and How
A ball to be dropped under the Rules must be dropped by the player himself. He must stand erect, hold the ball at shoulder height and arm’s length and drop it. If a ball is dropped by any other person or in any other manner and the error is not corrected as provided in Rule 20-6, the player incurs a penalty of one stroke.[/quote]

Yes, player to drop and address described, but deliberately spin the ball upon dropping.
It can be forespin or backspin depending on the lies. Is the spinning act against the rule?

The answer is in bold and underlined above. Drop means hold and let go.
Back to top Go down
IGT
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
IGT

Taking A Drop Empty
PostSubject: Re: Taking A Drop   Taking A Drop I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 03, 2012 8:45 pm

[quote="w_chiang"]
IGT wrote:
w_chiang wrote:
From rules of golf
a. By Whom and How
A ball to be dropped under the Rules must be dropped by the player himself. He must stand erect, hold the ball at shoulder height and arm’s length and drop it. If a ball is dropped by any other person or in any other manner and the error is not corrected as provided in Rule 20-6, the player incurs a penalty of one stroke.[/quote]

Ok, that's what i would like to find out. Just hold and let go. Clear now. Thx a lot. Appreciate!
Back to top Go down
jeffman88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jeffman88

Taking A Drop Empty
PostSubject: Re: Taking A Drop   Taking A Drop I_icon_minitimeMon Sep 03, 2012 10:53 pm

[quote="IGT"]
w_chiang wrote:
IGT wrote:
w_chiang wrote:
From rules of golf
a. By Whom and How

Ok, that's what i would like to find out. Just hold and let go. Clear now. Thx a lot. Appreciate!
haha IGT oops u just given a neat trick away to the readers Smile rendeer
Back to top Go down
IGT
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
IGT

Taking A Drop Empty
PostSubject: Re: Taking A Drop   Taking A Drop I_icon_minitimeTue Sep 04, 2012 2:07 am

[quote="jeffman88"]
IGT wrote:
w_chiang wrote:
IGT wrote:
w_chiang wrote:
From rules of golf
a. By Whom and How

haha IGT oops u just given a neat trick away to the readers Smile rendeer

Found it so amusing when a caddy taught me so; but wanna verify if this was the right thing to do. cheers
Back to top Go down
kef529
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
kef529

Taking A Drop Empty
PostSubject: Re: Taking A Drop   Taking A Drop I_icon_minitimeWed Sep 05, 2012 3:50 pm

But even if you can indeed spin the ball when dropping, how much spin can your fingers really generate to considerably affect where and how much the ball rolls after hitting the ground?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Taking A Drop Empty
PostSubject: Re: Taking A Drop   Taking A Drop I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Taking A Drop
Page 1 of 1