Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Can someone advise me if it's true ? On taking hc?

Go down 
+2
wolverine
poppi
6 posters
AuthorMessage
poppi
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Can someone advise me if it's true ? On taking hc? Empty
PostSubject: Can someone advise me if it's true ? On taking hc?   Can someone advise me if it's true ? On taking hc? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 04, 2012 8:32 am

Yesterday I heard from a pro that u can get a handicap by just signing up thru a website and submitting 3 scorecards. Is it as easy as that? Found that hard to believe and many websites say u need to go for 5 games and then take a handicap test . That's what my other friends did as well in the past. Is this sthg new ? O just an easy alternative ?
Back to top Go down
wolverine
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
wolverine

PostSubject: Re: Can someone advise me if it's true ? On taking hc?   Can someone advise me if it's true ? On taking hc? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 04, 2012 9:54 am

poppi wrote:
Yesterday I heard from a pro that u can get a handicap by just signing up thru a website and submitting 3 scorecards. Is it as easy as that? Found that hard to believe and many websites say u need to go for 5 games and then take a handicap test . That's what my other friends did as well in the past. Is this sthg new ? O just an easy alternative ?

Hi poppi,

It's partly true cos you will need 5 scorecards not 3.

in my case, I sign up with an estateless golf club first and took their rules of golf workshop and courtesy round first after which I was given 3 months to submit my 5 scorcards.

Hope this help

Cheerrs
Back to top Go down
poppi
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Can someone advise me if it's true ? On taking hc?   Can someone advise me if it's true ? On taking hc? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 04, 2012 10:11 am

Hey thx for your reply ..
http://www.elitegolfsolutions.co.uk/golf-handicaps.asp this is the website I was talking about n it says they need 3 scorecards. Wonder if I Shd go for this as it seems real easy?
Back to top Go down
wolverine
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
wolverine

PostSubject: Re: Can someone advise me if it's true ? On taking hc?   Can someone advise me if it's true ? On taking hc? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 04, 2012 10:28 am

poppi wrote:
Hey thx for your reply ..
http://www.elitegolfsolutions.co.uk/golf-handicaps.asp this is the website I was talking about n it says they need 3 scorecards. Wonder if I Shd go for this as it seems real easy?

Hi Poppi,

My club is based in Singapore and they maintained my handicap thru SGA so I do not know much about this overseas club.

Best if you research thouroughly before you commit.

Just my 2 cents worth

Cheers
Back to top Go down
hardrock
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
hardrock

PostSubject: Re: Can someone advise me if it's true ? On taking hc?   Can someone advise me if it's true ? On taking hc? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 04, 2012 10:32 am

Maintain hcp locally will be more convenient.
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Can someone advise me if it's true ? On taking hc?   Can someone advise me if it's true ? On taking hc? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 04, 2012 4:02 pm

Hi Poppi,

There are several types of handicap systems in use around the world. The most common system is the USGA Handicap System (which we use in Asia).

I believe elite solutions is offering a CONGU handicap. However, while it does not mean that golf courses will refuse entry, it does mean that certain social tournaments which require a USGA handicap will refuse entry.

I am currently overseas, will take the time to answer in more detail when I am back in Singapore.
Back to top Go down
poppi
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Can someone advise me if it's true ? On taking hc?   Can someone advise me if it's true ? On taking hc? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 04, 2012 4:39 pm

Thx Derek n will b looking forward to that .. Much appreciated. This seems an easy route for me but I dun wanna end with sthg that won't b recognized. I hv a pc thats expiring in jul so I m trying to make a decision before then.
Back to top Go down
nrafee
Caddy
Caddy
nrafee

PostSubject: Re: Can someone advise me if it's true ? On taking hc?   Can someone advise me if it's true ? On taking hc? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 04, 2012 6:20 pm

Its 21.95 pounds for a years membership. That's about 44 sgd. Is there a cheaper way to maintain a handicap? My purpose is to avoid paying 10.70 for swing test when i want to play at marina bay.

Back to top Go down
Gray
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Gray

PostSubject: Re: Can someone advise me if it's true ? On taking hc?   Can someone advise me if it's true ? On taking hc? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 04, 2012 7:15 pm

nrafee wrote:
Its 21.95 pounds for a years membership. That's about 44 sgd. Is there a cheaper way to maintain a handicap? My purpose is to avoid paying 10.70 for swing test when i want to play at marina bay.

Bro, Join my golf kaki. You get cheaper rate at orchid and marinara bay. Need to play abt 4 times a year and you'll more than breakeven. I also Joined mgk and am associate member

U join and we go play together.
Back to top Go down
nrafee
Caddy
Caddy
nrafee

PostSubject: Re: Can someone advise me if it's true ? On taking hc?   Can someone advise me if it's true ? On taking hc? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 04, 2012 8:42 pm

Golf kaki at 160 per yr, but u still need to be ntuc member at 117 per yr. total 277. Wink
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Can someone advise me if it's true ? On taking hc?   Can someone advise me if it's true ? On taking hc? I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 08, 2012 11:58 am

LOL ... Actually if you include the GST on the 160, the total cost is 288.2 a year for my golf kaki membership if you are not already a NTUC member.

MGK membership includes basic golf insurance and as I have mentioned previously, it makes a lot of sense of you play at OCC (for Singaporeans/PR) and if you play at both OCC and MBGC (non-Singaporeans/PR). Otherwise, there are more cost effective alternatives available.

In any case, back to elite solutions.

Elite Solutions is a UK based company that offers Handicap Maintenance Services. However, they are not an official golf club, as stated by themselves on their site. Also, they are not listed as a club on the English Golf Union. I have written to them to check if a handicap maintained with them can be viewed in the Central Database of Handicaps maintained by the English Golf Union.

However, they do claim that their handicaps are recognised in the UK and worldwide. Currently, MBGC accepts handicap cards from this company. This may be subject to change if Elite Solutions cannot prove that they are officially licensed to issue CONGU Handicaps. I am not sure if other clubs in Singapore accept their cards, but I think that is the case for now.

Assuming that Elite Solutions has a license to issue handicaps (possibly through a tie up with a golf club that is licensed to issue one), then essentially the player has a Handicap issued under the CONGU system used in Great Britain and Ireland. This is still considered an official handicap and will allow the player entry to play socially at any golf course (membership requirements and other R&R aside).

The issue comes about with entering tournaments. Most tournaments in Singapore stipulate the need for a handicap. Some are strict about USGA, some accept any handicap. Just be clear about the R&R for tournament entry beforehand, especially if you hit a magical shot and get a hole-in-one, then realise that you have been disqualified over something silly like not meeting the entry requirements for the tournament (the club will normally give it to you, the insurance company paying out is likely to investigate in more detail).

In summary, Elite Solutions handicap is currently accepted. The system used is the CONGU system. For social play, no problem at all. For tournaments, read fine print and inform organiser beforehand.

As a comparison, golfers who maintain their handicaps with Singapore registered golf clubs can be found in the National Handicap Book (link below) on SGA website. SGA is also an official golf association registered with USGA. So absolutely no doubts about official status.

Hope this answers your questions.
Back to top Go down
poppi
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Can someone advise me if it's true ? On taking hc?   Can someone advise me if it's true ? On taking hc? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 14, 2012 11:08 am

Thx to all for your contributions. I figured maintaining it locally is the best option.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Can someone advise me if it's true ? On taking hc?   Can someone advise me if it's true ? On taking hc? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Can someone advise me if it's true ? On taking hc?
Page 1 of 1