Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How to free drop from buggy track

Go down 
+2
neutralgolfer
golfjunk
6 posters
AuthorMessage
golfjunk
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
golfjunk

How to free drop from buggy track Empty
PostSubject: How to free drop from buggy track   How to free drop from buggy track I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 22, 2013 10:52 am

Hi Folks,

was having some argument with my golf Kaki's on the above. Hopefully someone here can help me.

This is the rule from golflink

Relief
Under the rule of golf 24-2b, a golfer is entitled to free relief from a cart path if the ball comes to rest upon the path or the golfer's swing or stance is inhibited by the path. A golfer's stance is deemed to be inhibited if any part of his foot comes in contact with the path.
Free Drop
After deciding that relief from the cart path is desired or necessary, the golfer must find the nearest point of relief that moves the ball no closer to the hole and mark that point with a tee.
The golfer is entitled to one club length of relief from that spot, which is usually marked with another tee. The golfer must drop the ball from shoulder height at any point in between those two tees as long as the ball is not being dropped in a hazard or onto the green.
A golfer may take this relief with no penalty.
Decision
A golfer does not have to take a free drop when the ball comes to rest on the cart path, although it would be a good idea to avoid injury and damage to the club.
If a golfer decides the nearest point of relief would put him in a bad spot to play his next shot he can play the ball from the cart path. Playing from the cart path is usually done only at tournaments when money or other such prizes are on the line. In casual play, it is a good idea to just take a free drop. Your clubs will thank you.

Golf Tips: Relief from Cart Path: Official Golf Rules | GolfLink.com http://www.golflink.com/list_1627_cart-path-official-golf-rules.html#ixzz2lL2cFpUV

Now the problem starts when my ball land on a buggy rack with a 45 degree slope with heavy vegetation on the right and a row of bushes on the left. My ball is in the center of the track.

Base on the above rule I am allow one club length from the track. This will place my ball out of the bushes, a good spot with clear line to the green. However, my kaki's insist that I cannot apply the rule and must place my ball behind the bushes; one club length behind the bushes because it should be one club length from where the ball rest.

So folks help me out here can I use the rule and "siam" the bush?

Thanks in advance for any expert opinion.

Golf Junk
Back to top Go down
neutralgolfer
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
neutralgolfer

PostSubject: Re: How to free drop from buggy track   How to free drop from buggy track I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 22, 2013 12:30 pm

First is to determine nearest point of relief, not nearer to hole. This means that your ball is away from the interference of the cart path. For your case, the nearest point of relief can be in the bush.
Then from the nearest point of relief, measure one club length from it (you can use driver to measure). Drop within the one club length zone. However the rules state that there is no need to re-drop if it does not roll more than 2 clubs length. Which means your ball maybe up to 3 clubs length from nearest pint of relief. Refer to rule 20-2 to see conditions of dropping/re-dropping.

It is either your kaki is not very well verse with the rule or he is trying to make life difficult for you. 

It is always better to refer to R&A website for any updated rules. http://www.randa.org/en/Rules-and-Amateur-Status/Rules-of-Golf.aspx#/rules/
Back to top Go down
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TDO

PostSubject: Re: How to free drop from buggy track   How to free drop from buggy track I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 22, 2013 3:34 pm

Note that the nearest point of relief, depending on where your ball lie, that is, nearer the left or right side of the cart path. If your ball is nearer the slope, you may drop it within 1 club length and allow to roll not more that 2 club lengths. If after 2 drops the ball still roll more that 2 club length, you are allowed to place the ball where the dropped ball first come into contact with the grass.

If the nearest point is nearest the bush, then it's too bad. Either you drop in the bush or you can choose to hit the ball where it lies, that is, the cart path. Of course it will be at the risk of damaging your club, unless your clubs are sponsored.Very Happy 

Hope this help.
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

PostSubject: Re: How to free drop from buggy track   How to free drop from buggy track I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 22, 2013 3:44 pm

Check this out.

Back to top Go down
Artloh
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to free drop from buggy track   How to free drop from buggy track I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 22, 2013 10:37 pm

Whether you play right or left handed matters. If your ball is smack centre of cart path & you play right handed, usually the NPR is on the left. The best way is to take a tee and make the NPR on the left and right of the track. Then you can clearly see which is the NPR.
Back to top Go down
hkhamateur
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
hkhamateur

PostSubject: Re: How to free drop from buggy track   How to free drop from buggy track I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 23, 2013 8:36 am

Thks enwee bro fr sharg. Wink
Knwg the NPR well nt only allow one to speed up the game but oso avoidg unneccessary penalty as well as argument w yr flight mates. Cool
Back to top Go down
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TDO

PostSubject: Re: How to free drop from buggy track   How to free drop from buggy track I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 23, 2013 8:44 am

Unless you are in a tournament, in social games, normally we don't go through this routine to avoid holding back the flights behind. A simple drop will do with the agreement of your flightmates if there is a bet. If no bets, we usually just drop the ball on the neatest point of relief.Cool 
Back to top Go down
golfjunk
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
golfjunk

PostSubject: Re: How to free drop from buggy track   How to free drop from buggy track I_icon_minitimeTue Nov 26, 2013 7:53 am

Was out of town only manage to read the forum today.

Peisay peisay.....I have play for 10 years and still not sure of the rule. No wonder my handicap is stuck at 24.

Enwee the Video was really cool.....picture is more than a thousand words.

Thank you everyone for the explanation.

Cheers Jump
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to free drop from buggy track   How to free drop from buggy track I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How to free drop from buggy track
Page 1 of 1