Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

QUESTION on borrowing fairway

Go down 
+7
Derek
LousyGolfer
NikeN
chien
TourSwing
alvin7379
scottycollector
11 posters
AuthorMessage
scottycollector
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
scottycollector

QUESTION on borrowing fairway Empty
PostSubject: QUESTION on borrowing fairway   QUESTION on borrowing fairway I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2012 10:40 am

I was recently playing with my friend at MBGC. He hit his tee shot right and it landed behind some thick bushes, which completely obstructed his 2nd shot. From what I saw, if he wants to keep his ball on the same hole, then he would have to play his 2nd shot backwards onto the fairway. However, he opted instead to play his ball forward, but onto the neighbouring fairway ie borrow fairway.

I think that this should be permissible so long as there are no OB markers that prevent you from hitting out of your own fairway. But isn't there something intrinsically wrong with this? ie intentionally hitting your ball onto another fairway?

Can someone pls confirm if borrowing fairway in this manner is permissible, or whether it would incur any penalty strokes.

Thanks!

Last edited by scottycollector on Thu Aug 23, 2012 11:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
alvin7379
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
alvin7379

PostSubject: Re: QUESTION on borrowing fairway   QUESTION on borrowing fairway I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2012 11:07 am

Perfectly legal and legitimate... as long as you do it safely without putting other golfers at risk.
Back to top Go down
http://www.visualtech.com.sg
TourSwing
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TourSwing

PostSubject: Re: QUESTION on borrowing fairway   QUESTION on borrowing fairway I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2012 11:13 am

I love how MBGC allows me to express myself ... so many ways to get to the same green ... Seem to find a new one every time!!! lol!
Back to top Go down
chien
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
chien

PostSubject: Re: QUESTION on borrowing fairway   QUESTION on borrowing fairway I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2012 11:29 am

I hate MBGC...

Every time I am there, there would be some crazy guy (don't say who la) driving 280-300m onto somebody's fairway and putting 2 ons for par 5..

Best still, didn't even play on the correct fairway yet can get birdies...

As a result I keep losing my mula..

White Flag

Back to top Go down
scottycollector
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
scottycollector

PostSubject: Re: QUESTION on borrowing fairway   QUESTION on borrowing fairway I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2012 11:42 am

Thanks guys. that's what i thought.

Chien, i understand how u feel. it doesn't seem fair when a golf course doesn't punish wayward tee shots. there should be some rule which gives a penalty stroke for hitting onto a neighbouring fairway =)

oh not to mention mbgc's ridiculous rule of free drop from the flower bed. i've seen someone slice his 1st and 2nd shots into the flower bed and still make par. wth.....
Back to top Go down
NikeN
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
NikeN

PostSubject: Re: QUESTION on borrowing fairway   QUESTION on borrowing fairway I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2012 11:46 am

chien wrote:

I hate MBGC...

Every time I am there, there would be some crazy guy (don't say who la) driving 280-300m onto somebody's fairway and putting 2 ons for par 5..

Best still, didn't even play on the correct fairway yet can get birdies...

As a result I keep losing my mula..

White Flag

Hmm...sounds like some1 in this forum Laughing
Back to top Go down
LousyGolfer
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: QUESTION on borrowing fairway   QUESTION on borrowing fairway I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2012 12:10 pm

scottycollector wrote:

Chien, i understand how u feel. it doesn't seem fair when a golf course doesn't punish wayward tee shots. there should be some rule which gives a penalty stroke for hitting onto a neighbouring fairway =)

I understand how Chien feels too as quite coincidentally, I have golfed with such a crazy golfer before. However, we cannot really penalize him as he intentionally drives into the other fairway to:
1) shorten the distance to the hole
2) demonstrate to his flight mates how much further he could drive as our fairway does not have enough length for him
3) he allows us to release our anger by screaming at the top of our voices "fore!!!!" + whatever vulgarities... note that this built-up anger is created by him thrashing us in the previous hole

scottycollector wrote:
oh not to mention mbgc's ridiculous rule of free drop from the flower bed. i've seen someone slice his 1st and 2nd shots into the flower bed and still make par. wth.....

Erm... have I golfed with you before??? Sounds like me, with exception to the "par" part.
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: QUESTION on borrowing fairway   QUESTION on borrowing fairway I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2012 12:12 pm

scottycollector wrote:

I normally agree with whomever I am playing with beforehand to regard the flower bed as a hazard, i.e. 1 stroke penalty, makes it more fair

Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Slicer51

PostSubject: Re: QUESTION on borrowing fairway   QUESTION on borrowing fairway I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2012 1:18 pm

scottycollector wrote:

Yes, it does sound unfair but the course apply this local rule to protest the course (in this case the flower & plant). If it is a hazard without free drop, then all players will start hitting it in side the flower bed. Very soon no more flower bed or whatsoever. lol!
Back to top Go down
Lee36328
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Lee36328

PostSubject: Re: QUESTION on borrowing fairway   QUESTION on borrowing fairway I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2012 1:39 pm

scottycollector wrote:
Thanks guys. that's what i thought.

Yup, understand how u feel, but as someone said above, it's perfectly legit.

However, some courses mark adjacent fairways as OB, disallowing the player from borrowing them. Look for the white stakes.

Having said that, Hole 7 Rahman Putra Hills Course is known as the most difficult par 5 in Malaysia, playing more like a par 6 with doglegs, trees and water typically requiring a layup to 200m left for approach. I sliced a tee shot into Hole 8 fairway on the right and realised I had a clear shot back into Hole 7 if I hit a good 3 wood to set up for a straight-forward 160m approach. This cuts straight through the dogleg and takes water out of play too.

So, another dimension to enjoy a course - the attack strategy.
Back to top Go down
TourSwing
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TourSwing

PostSubject: Re: QUESTION on borrowing fairway   QUESTION on borrowing fairway I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2012 2:51 pm

Derek wrote:
scottycollector wrote:

I normally agree with whomever I am playing with beforehand to regard the flower bed as a hazard, i.e. 1 stroke penalty, makes it more fair

Killjoy! Anyways ... if its a hazard then I'm going in!!!

QUESTION on borrowing fairway Photo10
Back to top Go down
chien
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
chien

PostSubject: Re: QUESTION on borrowing fairway   QUESTION on borrowing fairway I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2012 3:26 pm

TourSwing wrote:
Derek wrote:
scottycollector wrote:

Tourswing... Why you so defensive ??? lol!

Back to top Go down
chien
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
chien

PostSubject: Re: QUESTION on borrowing fairway   QUESTION on borrowing fairway I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2012 3:27 pm

Derek wrote:
scottycollector wrote:

Thats a great idea..

Since you are the boss at MGK and you have set the precedent, I shall follow likewise ..... lol!

Beer

Back to top Go down
NikeN
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
NikeN

PostSubject: Re: QUESTION on borrowing fairway   QUESTION on borrowing fairway I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2012 4:33 pm

TourSwing wrote:
Derek wrote:
scottycollector wrote:

What a Face Bill Haas? Did you get it on for 3 foot putt?
Back to top Go down
NikeN
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
NikeN

PostSubject: Re: QUESTION on borrowing fairway   QUESTION on borrowing fairway I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2012 4:45 pm

Played Berjaya Hill last Monday. On last hole par 5, trying to drive hard and caused slice, ball landed on neighbor fairway. tongue
After walked there then realize its a clear 2nd shot to pin. Yup, its a dogleg right hole... Laughing Cool

p/s: oops, while crossing through the rough, pickup 2 lost balls also Razz
Back to top Go down
hillgreen
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
hillgreen

PostSubject: Re: QUESTION on borrowing fairway   QUESTION on borrowing fairway I_icon_minitimeThu Aug 23, 2012 8:35 pm

Berjaya hills last hole very interesting n challenging (cooling weather there is shiok). Cannot 2 on if your driver is not far..ha, played with my fren n both of us tried but both landed in front of the lake in front of the green.. Din know use another fairway can try on for 2nd shot.

Ha, next time got chance must try leh..Ie borrow fairway

kenkong79 wrote:
Played Berjaya Hill last Monday. On last hole par 5, trying to drive hard and caused slice, ball landed on neighbor fairway. tongue
After walked there then realize its a clear 2nd shot to pin. Yup, its a dogleg right hole... Laughing Cool

p/s: oops, while crossing through the rough, pickup 2 lost balls also Razz
Back to top Go down
Desmando R
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: QUESTION on borrowing fairway   QUESTION on borrowing fairway I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 29, 2012 10:22 am

scottycollector wrote:
I was recently playing with my friend at MBGC. He hit his tee shot right and it landed behind some thick bushes, which completely obstructed his 2nd shot. From what I saw, if he wants to keep his ball on the same hole, then he would have to play his 2nd shot backwards onto the fairway. However, he opted instead to play his ball forward, but onto the neighbouring fairway ie borrow fairway.

I think that this should be permissible so long as there are no OB markers that prevent you from hitting out of your own fairway. But isn't there something intrinsically wrong with this? ie intentionally hitting your ball onto another fairway?

Can someone pls confirm if borrowing fairway in this manner is permissible, or whether it would incur any penalty strokes.

Thanks!

I played with someone who borrowed fairway on a par 5 off the tee and all the way to the last chip with a total of 7 shots including the tee off... and last chip was just beside the borrowed fairway's tee box hahahaha... Good thing was there was no one there.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: QUESTION on borrowing fairway   QUESTION on borrowing fairway I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

QUESTION on borrowing fairway
Page 1 of 1