Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Forged iron dented, Taylormade R9 TP B

Go down 
+9
ngjw89
Khorkar
Begbie
jeffman88
Joshua
samT
scottycollector
alvin7379
sebastianlim
13 posters
AuthorMessage
sebastianlim
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

Forged iron dented, Taylormade R9 TP B Empty
PostSubject: Forged iron dented, Taylormade R9 TP B   Forged iron dented, Taylormade R9 TP B I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 28, 2012 11:35 am

Each time after i hit the ball at the range, i would look at my club face to see wheres the spot that i hit. That day, after i launched the ball, i knew that i had hit a lousy shot and i check my club face, and i realised that the front part of the club face is slightly dented in.

1) Could this be due to the forged material of the club that make it easily leaving a dent upon a bad shot?
2) Could it be due to the range golf ball? Cause i realised that the balls were very hard as rock kinda ( Sembawang CC)?
3)Will a dent on the club face affect the performance of the club?

I went down to Taylormade @ The Cathay to check bout this dent, and they say that most likely is due to hitting something hard like rocks, that let me wonder if its due to those rock hard golf balls.

Btw,if there is a dent, is it repairable?

Haiz, so damm sad bout this:(
Back to top Go down
alvin7379
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
alvin7379

PostSubject: Re: Forged iron dented, Taylormade R9 TP B   Forged iron dented, Taylormade R9 TP B I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 28, 2012 11:46 am

Wah bro.... u so STRONG! affraid
Back to top Go down
http://www.visualtech.com.sg
sebastianlim
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Forged iron dented, Taylormade R9 TP B   Forged iron dented, Taylormade R9 TP B I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 28, 2012 11:54 am

alvin7379 wrote:

No la, Haiz, no w kena dented and idk how Sad
Back to top Go down
scottycollector
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
scottycollector

PostSubject: Re: Forged iron dented, Taylormade R9 TP B   Forged iron dented, Taylormade R9 TP B I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 28, 2012 12:01 pm

I really doubt it's caused by range balls. Forged irons are soft but not that soft. I used my Yamaha irons for 3 years n they only have some light marks.
Back to top Go down
samT
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
samT

PostSubject: Re: Forged iron dented, Taylormade R9 TP B   Forged iron dented, Taylormade R9 TP B I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 28, 2012 12:03 pm

My guess is not the ball, could be smtg stucked to the ball, a small sand perhaps. Anyway, bound to happen fir forged clubs, accept it lor.
Back to top Go down
Joshua
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Joshua

PostSubject: Re: Forged iron dented, Taylormade R9 TP B   Forged iron dented, Taylormade R9 TP B I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 28, 2012 12:26 pm

Bro y not take a pic and show us the dent
Back to top Go down
sebastianlim
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Forged iron dented, Taylormade R9 TP B   Forged iron dented, Taylormade R9 TP B I_icon_minitimeSat Jul 28, 2012 11:03 pm

I will try to air a pic of it, kinda hard as its not very visible on the shots taken with camera.
Back to top Go down
jeffman88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jeffman88

PostSubject: Re: Forged iron dented, Taylormade R9 TP B   Forged iron dented, Taylormade R9 TP B I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 29, 2012 11:51 am

sebastianlim wrote:
alvin7379 wrote:

think alvin7379 might be right.. suggest u go down to a fitter w flightscope and test your swing speed and smash factor... might be a very fast hit with top smash factor.. force is speed x mass... sometimes after years of use there is metal fatigue.. an R9 isnt exactly latest new model n forged iron is usually soft mild steel only ...
imagine the other way around the ball is shot at high speed against wall of iron face! like they say every action has an equal and opposite reaction..
Back to top Go down
Joshua
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Joshua

PostSubject: Re: Forged iron dented, Taylormade R9 TP B   Forged iron dented, Taylormade R9 TP B I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 29, 2012 12:12 pm

Sebestian u mean there is a ball dent mark on your iron club face?

Or Issit along the leading edge?

Last edited by Joshua on Sun Jul 29, 2012 12:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Begbie
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Forged iron dented, Taylormade R9 TP B   Forged iron dented, Taylormade R9 TP B I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 29, 2012 12:20 pm

jeffman88 wrote:
sebastianlim wrote:
alvin7379 wrote:

think alvin7379 might be right.. suggest u go down to a fitter w flightscope and test your swing speed and smash factor... might be a very fast hit with top smash factor.. force is speed x mass... sometimes after years of use there is metal fatigue.. an R9 isnt exactly latest new model n forged iron is usually soft mild steel only ...
imagine the other way around the ball is shot at high speed against wall of iron face! like they say every action has an equal and opposite reaction..

metal fatigue on irons ? how does that happen ?
Back to top Go down
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Khorkar

PostSubject: Re: Forged iron dented, Taylormade R9 TP B   Forged iron dented, Taylormade R9 TP B I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 29, 2012 12:22 pm

pix pls....
Back to top Go down
jeffman88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jeffman88

PostSubject: Re: Forged iron dented, Taylormade R9 TP B   Forged iron dented, Taylormade R9 TP B I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 29, 2012 1:25 pm

Begbie wrote:
jeffman88 wrote:
sebastianlim wrote:
alvin7379 wrote:

metal fatigue on irons ? how does that happen ?

me not scientist but hv basic knowledge only hor... all metals have an endurance limit or fatigue limit. It is used to describe the amount of cyclic or repeated stress that can be applied to the material without causing fatigue failure.
I would imagine if the bro's golf club's impact force of hitting a golf ball is less than this endurance limit, then theoretically the golf club's face would last forever. But if the force of hitting a golf ball is above the metal's endurance limit, than the metal face will fatigue and eventually fail over time. The impact force varies and depends on the golfer in this case which we dont know cept that we can guess maybe he is a very hard hitter.
Back to top Go down
ngjw89
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Forged iron dented, Taylormade R9 TP B   Forged iron dented, Taylormade R9 TP B I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2012 1:50 am

if i recall correctly, the tp b irons are not forged, although they are made of a softer steel than the usual cast clubheads, but still it must have taken a really large force to be able to dent an iron head!
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Forged iron dented, Taylormade R9 TP B   Forged iron dented, Taylormade R9 TP B I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2012 10:28 am

Actually, if you have a small stone fragment on the ball (the type you normally see in a bunker) and it gets trapped between the ball and the club face at impact, sure have small dent.

By small, I mean about 1/4 to 1/3 of a grain of rice

Aside from changing the head, I don't think there is a practical way to get rid of the dent.

Back to top Go down
MrBig
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
MrBig

PostSubject: Re: Forged iron dented, Taylormade R9 TP B   Forged iron dented, Taylormade R9 TP B I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2012 10:44 am

Had the same problem... but with a Callaway Diablo Driver...
Clubface had a dent.....
Dent was not caused by knocking irons in the bag
Plus the dent was in the shape of a ball lor ...

Brought it back to Pan West and they changed it for me.
;D
Back to top Go down
Begbie
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Forged iron dented, Taylormade R9 TP B   Forged iron dented, Taylormade R9 TP B I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2012 10:48 am

If its me, I will just look at it as signature of the club .... no need to be so concerned if it don't affect playability...

If concern.. just change the head... or look at it u got reason to change the whole set.. hoo hooo... shopping time ..... bounce
Back to top Go down
jeffman88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jeffman88

PostSubject: Re: Forged iron dented, Taylormade R9 TP B   Forged iron dented, Taylormade R9 TP B I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 30, 2012 11:00 am

Derek wrote:
Actually, if you have a small stone fragment on the ball (the type you normally see in a bunker) and it gets trapped between the ball and the club face at impact, sure have small dent.

By small, I mean about 1/4 to 1/3 of a grain of rice

Aside from changing the head, I don't think there is a practical way to get rid of the dent.

i once had some bad scratches on the foot of my no 7 iron (cast cavity back) when i hit some embedded rock at Mandai Exec course... a bit of wet and dry sandpaper and some hard sanding managed to get rid of it and polished up w autosol Razz guess i just cant stand having blemishes like that on my precious golf set Razz
Back to top Go down
sebastianlim
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Forged iron dented, Taylormade R9 TP B   Forged iron dented, Taylormade R9 TP B I_icon_minitimeWed Aug 01, 2012 10:07 pm

Hey guys, sorry for late reply to his thread. Personally, I feel that I'm a hard hitter, but didn't expect that all I had was one lousy shot, where I hit the ball slightly off the swift spot, which means hitting the front of the club, and it cause it to be dented slightly inwards.

Before that I was using the r7 irons with R jap graphite and I believed that i had "played it with less consideration of the cosmetic of the club" hence i feel that I may have used more force to play with it.

This set of r9, I got it only last year June in the Isetan sale. But i don't use this set often as I got school and is kinda hectic. ( this R9 still look damm new haha)

K nuff of my long story, but to end it, I may want bring this piece of iron to taylormade catha and get them to check. But Based on my previous chat with the club fitter or Something, he doesn't sound like he know his stuff well.oh well

K, I will try to attach a pic of it. But its really not that visible from camera pics.

Thanks!Smile
Back to top Go down
mtm
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
mtm

PostSubject: Re: Forged iron dented, Taylormade R9 TP B   Forged iron dented, Taylormade R9 TP B I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 05, 2012 8:53 pm

Sorry off topic... If I need to swap my iron shaft, which shop can change shaft n how much will the shop charge?
Back to top Go down
pippin
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
pippin

PostSubject: Re: Forged iron dented, Taylormade R9 TP B   Forged iron dented, Taylormade R9 TP B I_icon_minitimeSun Aug 05, 2012 9:03 pm

Wow ... V sad to hear tat your clubs are dented ... If not on the club face it's fine ... But sounds like it's on the club face ... Too bad have to change club Liao ...I always chk the ground my ball sits on ... Roots or hard surface ... Forget it

I'll move my ball Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Forged iron dented, Taylormade R9 TP B   Forged iron dented, Taylormade R9 TP B I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Forged iron dented, Taylormade R9 TP B
Page 1 of 1