Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Does offset irons affect your swing in other clubs?

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
snagy23
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
snagy23

Does offset irons affect your swing in other clubs? Empty
PostSubject: Does offset irons affect your swing in other clubs?   Does offset irons affect your swing in other clubs? I_icon_minitimeSun Jul 22, 2012 2:38 pm

Hi all,

I am interested to know if offset irons may affect your swing?
Previously, i was using a old Ben Hogan Forge with very little offset, recently, i got a old callaway X16 and trying to fit my swing to it.
On most days, on range i will do some chipping 1st with my callaway x forge wedges, i can chip pretty accurate and well with it,
After i hit some iron shots with X16, when i come back again to chip using my wedges, i found my shots hooking alot or shooting to the left side.
Just curious if anyone can point to me if i have made a mistake by going into a offset club, which previously i am hitting quite well with a non offset clubs?
My launch angle is exceptionally high as well.

Appreciate for all feedback and comments.

Many thanks and a great weekend!

Back to top Go down
audi
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
audi

PostSubject: Re: Does offset irons affect your swing in other clubs?   Does offset irons affect your swing in other clubs? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 19, 2012 7:58 am

yes it will affect. i have been in your position. but i dont know how to explain ahahah let the pros explain Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Slicer51

PostSubject: Re: Does offset irons affect your swing in other clubs?   Does offset irons affect your swing in other clubs? I_icon_minitimeMon Nov 19, 2012 8:13 am

Yes, I have the same experience too. It is not because I have a good swing but I just cannot able to swing well with too off set club including driver that I had mention before. I was told it have sometime to do with your release of your club when you swing ...

I do not know whether you made a mistake of changing but it is always good to try or go for demo before you buy.
Back to top Go down
mattpro0796
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
mattpro0796

PostSubject: Re: Does offset irons affect your swing in other clubs?   Does offset irons affect your swing in other clubs? I_icon_minitimeThu Nov 22, 2012 8:40 pm

Hi Guys,

Just to clear up a few things...

By adding offset to an iron, it does help the clubface to close through impact, which can help a great number of players, particularly with the long- and mid-irons. The reason this happens is that the offset puts the center of gravity of the club in a slightly different relationship to the centerline of the shaft.

If you simply lay an offset and non-offset iron on a table with the heads hanging off the side, you’ll see that the face of the offset iron will point slightly upward, while the face of the non-offset iron will be nearly vertical. This is a simple re-arrangement of the balance point, so that in the downswing, the offset iron is already “seeking” a more square position through impact.

Obviously, because the offset iron tends to close through impact, such an alignment is exactly the wrong thing for any player with a tendency to pull or draw the ball. It’s a slicer/pushers fix only.

Personally I think too many players look for "quick" fixes through equipment rather than spending a bit of time with a teaching pro.

Back to top Go down
http://academyofgolf.com.sg
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Does offset irons affect your swing in other clubs?   Does offset irons affect your swing in other clubs? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Does offset irons affect your swing in other clubs?
Page 1 of 1