Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Which clubs for a start?

Go down 
+5
guangzhao
lszomb
pippin
Nudge12
cts1984
9 posters
AuthorMessage
cts1984
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
cts1984

Which clubs for a start? Empty
PostSubject: Which clubs for a start?   Which clubs for a start? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 18, 2012 1:22 am

Just curious. How do u ladies n gents decide on your golf set when u just started out? Was told fitting will not be beneficial as swings not yet consistent.

For me I used my dads old set but hand itchy went to buy a new set based on reviews.
Back to top Go down
Nudge12
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Which clubs for a start?   Which clubs for a start? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 18, 2012 1:46 am

cts1984 wrote:
Just curious. How do u ladies n gents decide on your golf set when u just started out? Was told fitting will not be beneficial as swings not yet consistent.

For me I used my dads old set but hand itchy went to buy a new set based on reviews.

Which set did u purchased btw?

I suppose most peeps started out with those 'hand me down' clubs till they develop a consistent swing and then move on with an investment purchase to take the game further. Smile)
Back to top Go down
pippin
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
pippin

PostSubject: Re: Which clubs for a start?   Which clubs for a start? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 18, 2012 8:10 am

go to creative golf ... for a second hand set... once addicted then buy something you like... once you get better... go for club fitting? Smile
Back to top Go down
lszomb
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Which clubs for a start?   Which clubs for a start? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 18, 2012 9:16 am

Go "golf digest" to read some club reviews and get the sense about what are the differences between the clubs. During the golf orientation session ask for few different sets to try with from your instructor or friends to feel the differences. Make decision based on your habits, new or second hand. However, in most of case the decision was made from budget and the looking of the clubs instead of fitting you or not. LOL. So in this case, just suggest to get what you like and change again later

Last edited by lszomb on Wed Jul 18, 2012 9:21 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
lszomb
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Which clubs for a start?   Which clubs for a start? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 18, 2012 9:16 am

Edit my double post. As I have said, there is no prefect clubs. Before you know what you want you can randomly pick up one and hope that will last for u.
Back to top Go down
guangzhao
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Which clubs for a start?   Which clubs for a start? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 18, 2012 9:32 am

Frankly, my friend recommended the Cobra S3. I got it and have not looked back. Awesome set of clubs for a good price. Got it around 500++ at Isetan.

Go to Isetan and ask to try the clubs, I believe the S3 Max was going at about 380 for 5-PW which is an awesome price.
Back to top Go down
jeffman88
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jeffman88

PostSubject: Re: Which clubs for a start?   Which clubs for a start? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 18, 2012 12:43 pm

think its a function of brand, suitability and budget. then brand will depend if jap or usa (tho most made in PRC) and then its looks aesthetics, reputation and of course depends on the image u wanna project of urself. Suitability depends on ur age, fitness, gender (some females may wanna use sets designed for males), specs like ifs its forgiving game improvement cavity backs vs musclebacks vs blades or forged vs cast and shaft types - graphite vs steel vs hybrids. lastly budget and that depends on ur willingness to spend on something new that maybe out of date a year from now when version 2.0 is out or something pre-loved (some say brand is better than new - seen in used BMW's ads tagline )...
Back to top Go down
lszomb
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Which clubs for a start?   Which clubs for a start? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 18, 2012 12:48 pm

jeffman88 wrote:
think its a function of brand, suitability and budget. then brand will depend if jap or usa (tho most made in PRC) and then its looks aesthetics, reputation and of course depends on the image u wanna project of urself. Suitability depends on ur age, fitness, gender (some females may wanna use sets designed for males), specs like ifs its forgiving game improvement cavity backs vs musclebacks vs blades or forged vs cast and shaft types - graphite vs steel vs hybrids. lastly budget and that depends on ur willingness to spend on something new that maybe out of date a year from now when version 2.0 is out or something pre-loved (some say brand is better than new - seen in used BMW's ads tagline )...

This Hooray
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

PostSubject: Re: Which clubs for a start?   Which clubs for a start? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 18, 2012 1:31 pm

I wouldn't put budget last, for me it would be suitability and budget before brand.

Suitability as stated by Jeffman

Budget will determine brand. A GI iron set from TM cost lower than Titleist. If brand comes first then why talk about budget. eg. if i decide to buy Miura, by choosing the brand, my budget is automatically set at a higher level, therefore, most sets will be within my budget. But if I set my budget first, say $1,000. I have already eliminate some brands and narrow my search.
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: Which clubs for a start?   Which clubs for a start? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 18, 2012 2:07 pm

my decisions so far have been influenced by (in chronological older)

- friend advice
- magazine rankings
- attractive sale prices
- online forum reviews
- poisoned by friends' clubs
- testing on launch monitors
- course testing pre-purchase

and mostly

- backside itches

the best method is the course testing. Provided you are a good customer of one shop that allows you to test the demo clubs. Not indoor launch monitor. On the course.

Since this is your first purchase, I'd say second best alternative is to find opportunities to test many clubs on range or launch monitor. The demo days by the major brands or golf shops are great opportunities.
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

PostSubject: Re: Which clubs for a start?   Which clubs for a start? I_icon_minitimeWed Jul 18, 2012 3:13 pm

Actually if you are looking for a clubs to start, no need to look 2nd hand, buy past seasons irons should not be too ex. Of course not too old one lah. Some good clubs from past seasons yet still see new sets on sales are Callaway X series, most likely 22, TM burner ver 1 and 2, Cobra S series, Nike VR_S the last year model and etc etc
Back to top Go down
cts1984
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
cts1984

PostSubject: Re: Which clubs for a start?   Which clubs for a start? I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 19, 2012 9:47 pm

Nudge12 wrote:
cts1984 wrote:

I suppose most peeps started out with those 'hand me down' clubs till they develop a consistent swing and then move on with an investment purchase to take the game further. Smile)

Tm RBZ irons and Driver rabbit

Based on looks and also reviews that it is quite forgiving.

Matches my shoes too lols.
Back to top Go down
enwee
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
enwee

PostSubject: Re: Which clubs for a start?   Which clubs for a start? I_icon_minitimeThu Jul 19, 2012 9:53 pm

cts1984 wrote:
Nudge12 wrote:
cts1984 wrote:

Tm RBZ irons and Driver rabbit

Based on looks and also reviews that it is quite forgiving.

Matches my shoes too lols.
You bought those? not bad choice...except......
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Which clubs for a start?   Which clubs for a start? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Which clubs for a start?
Page 1 of 1