Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Does noise bother u during your turn to hit he ball?

Go down 
+34
buzz1211
Lee36328
mengteck71
LousyGolfer
mcmug
meia07656
watermyforrest
nirvana2638
jimmychoo
Turbo
slinger
shimizu.toruk
TDO
glim
Technospaz
NikeN
dmateo
Golfer Guy
JohnBGLee
mizzy
Slicer51
mi5trooper
Bangla123
pocketace
sob
weesern
audi
peace2903
asahi
pushslice
Cyp_PGA
hkhamateur
Cyrano
Duval_S
38 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

Does noise bother u during your turn to hit he ball? Empty
PostSubject: Does noise bother u during your turn to hit he ball?   Does noise bother u during your turn to hit he ball? I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 03, 2012 9:40 am

I get bothered by the sound wind, grass swaying and all.

I am learning to be less bothered.

I am not sure abt camera clicks though.... Still waiting in vain to experience it
Back to top Go down
Cyrano
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Does noise bother u during your turn to hit he ball?   Does noise bother u during your turn to hit he ball? I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 03, 2012 10:24 am

i don really get bothered by noises.. even when my partners are purposely whispering loudly in an attempt to distract me..

But it sure makes for a good excuse for those missed shots.. hahahahhahahaha
Back to top Go down
hkhamateur
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
hkhamateur

PostSubject: Re: Does noise bother u during your turn to hit he ball?   Does noise bother u during your turn to hit he ball? I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 03, 2012 10:32 am

Yea...i ll. Crying or Very sad
Buggy, motorbike, whisperg while tee off! Rolling Eyes
Learng to tolerate! Cool
Back to top Go down
Cyp_PGA
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Cyp_PGA

PostSubject: Re: Does noise bother u during your turn to hit he ball?   Does noise bother u during your turn to hit he ball? I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 03, 2012 11:21 am

Try to get a structure pre-shot routine . It create that you only focus on the shot you hit . it should make you unaware of outside noise as well as trouble on the course.
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: Does noise bother u during your turn to hit he ball?   Does noise bother u during your turn to hit he ball? I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 03, 2012 11:29 am

Nope. And I do not see why people would be so anal about noise except when it's a sound that surprises/sudden noise. You think Lionel Messi or Kobe Bryant miss the shot because of whole stadium screaming?

Play tanah merah, sounds of jet engine are deafening
Play keppel, traffic sounds almost everywhere
Play mbgc, construction work abound
Play occ, the grass mowers are relentless.
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: Does noise bother u during your turn to hit he ball?   Does noise bother u during your turn to hit he ball? I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 03, 2012 11:32 am

Not at all.

Recently, one of my flightmates tried to distract my by shouting 'Fighting' when I was teeing off.

No problemo!

Beer

Back to top Go down
peace2903
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Does noise bother u during your turn to hit he ball?   Does noise bother u during your turn to hit he ball? I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 03, 2012 12:15 pm

When I started , I was particular coz I was taught tt way & it is basic etiquette to keep quiet.
Along the way, I realised many do not care Abt etiquette & I've learnt to be zen ant noises.

And on Kobe & messi analogy is somewhat wrong! Soccer & basketball do not require the 'precised coordination' required for a golf shots. And in soccer & bb, a miss is common but in golf a miss can make u lose the game, similar to snooker.

Anyway, I do hope all golfers learn & have some basic etiquette & respect the game as it meant to be. My older kakis are complaining 'too many bengs' are spoiling the image.. Remember all the fights on the golf courses... Sigh...
Back to top Go down
audi
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
audi

PostSubject: Re: Does noise bother u during your turn to hit he ball?   Does noise bother u during your turn to hit he ball? I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 03, 2012 12:24 pm

yeah i think by keeping focus on your shot, you wont get bothered by the noises around you. well, unless its sudden noise.
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: Does noise bother u during your turn to hit he ball?   Does noise bother u during your turn to hit he ball? I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 03, 2012 12:42 pm

Im not saying people shud not respect etiquette, far from it.

However, im saying people who blamed noise (not sudden) making them miss shot or play badly, lose concentration etc is full of...hence the kobe analogy. Not comparing the game but pointing out the fact that athletes have concentration despite the noise element

And pocketace, many games are decided by one shot, one penalty, one pitch, one hit...and sometimes they only got a few second to execute, pls la
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

PostSubject: Re: Does noise bother u during your turn to hit he ball?   Does noise bother u during your turn to hit he ball? I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 03, 2012 12:55 pm

i just cannot stand those people that are waiting for their turn to start clearing their throat... and it is no once but a few times...

anyway, got to learn to play thru such distractions
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: Does noise bother u during your turn to hit he ball?   Does noise bother u during your turn to hit he ball? I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 03, 2012 1:30 pm

I was marshaling at HSBC, the pros were chipping or putting. I put up the quiet please sign to the crowd. Everybody kinda stopped walking and standing still.

Then a big plane landed nearby vrrroooaaaarrr!...see how inconsequential my quiet sign was at that moment? Laughing

unless we golf on a vacuum or on some remote course with nobody around, not even birds chirpin, gotta deal with noise hor
Back to top Go down
sob
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
sob

PostSubject: Re: Does noise bother u during your turn to hit he ball?   Does noise bother u during your turn to hit he ball? I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 03, 2012 1:55 pm

The great seve use to clear his throat when his opponents were teeing off, so often that his opponents started offering cough drops before teeing off.

Seve was also a mind game master!
Back to top Go down
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
pocketace

PostSubject: Re: Does noise bother u during your turn to hit he ball?   Does noise bother u during your turn to hit he ball? I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 03, 2012 2:55 pm

pushslice wrote:
Im not saying people shud not respect etiquette, far from it.

However, im saying people who blamed noise (not sudden) making them miss shot or play badly, lose concentration etc is full of...hence the kobe analogy. Not comparing the game but pointing out the fact that athletes have concentration despite the noise element

And pocketace, many games are decided by one shot, one penalty, one pitch, one hit...and sometimes they only got a few second to execute, pls la

Bro, are u referring to me? Or just thinking of me cos I never reply to this thread leh... btw I'm all for good etiquette, be it golf, bowling or as a way of life.
Back to top Go down
peace2903
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Does noise bother u during your turn to hit he ball?   Does noise bother u during your turn to hit he ball? I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 03, 2012 3:40 pm

Pushslice, guess u r Toking to me. Smile anyway, ur pt of view & my pt of view.
I just hope golfers give fellow golfers the basic etiquette. It's Golf, not soccer or bb.

But again, I dun really see the pt of ur flying plane example again.
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: Does noise bother u during your turn to hit he ball?   Does noise bother u during your turn to hit he ball? I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 03, 2012 4:43 pm

Hahaha sorry, peace and pocketace my bad... Embarassed
Back to top Go down
Bangla123
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
Bangla123

PostSubject: Re: Does noise bother u during your turn to hit he ball?   Does noise bother u during your turn to hit he ball? I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 03, 2012 4:53 pm

Ambient noises not so much, obviously if you have flight mates talking on the phone or among each other when your playing a shot that's just rude. One pet peeve are those attention seeking "lao hiao" ah peks on other greens putting . kpkb as if they missed a winning us open putt.
Back to top Go down
mi5trooper
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Does noise bother u during your turn to hit he ball?   Does noise bother u during your turn to hit he ball? I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 03, 2012 5:17 pm

ear plug will help? :-) kidding lah...
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Does noise bother u during your turn to hit he ball?   Does noise bother u during your turn to hit he ball? I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 03, 2012 7:21 pm

I AM a sensitive golfer.....any suggestion on how to train to be in the zone as in not bother by the outside world?

My fren was saying to train at mbgc on sat morning.....many aspiring coaches around teaching ....
Back to top Go down
Slicer51
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Slicer51

PostSubject: Re: Does noise bother u during your turn to hit he ball?   Does noise bother u during your turn to hit he ball? I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 03, 2012 9:01 pm

I guess I am okay when it is noisy but the sudden noise that really kill especially during my downswing Stretcher
Back to top Go down
mizzy
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
mizzy

PostSubject: Re: Does noise bother u during your turn to hit he ball?   Does noise bother u during your turn to hit he ball? I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 03, 2012 9:58 pm

Noise is all about distraction.

It may not be noise, it maybe movement, thought, smell.. anything to reduce your concentration.

Noise is a random and irregular pattern of sound. Everyone is able to tune it out.
But let me tell you why some noises do not qualify as noise while some do.

Airplane engine: may not be sudden but definitely loud enough to drown other noises and the pitch can change. some can hack it some cannot.

Lawn mower: the operator can change direction and make sudden movements in your down swing. think about that.

Phone rings or people talking: your mind is tuned to these things. if you were sleeping, an alarm goes off, your brain is still working and will alert you to wake up. This mechanism is the same when you are trying to hit the ball and the brain interupts your concentration because it thinks its important enough to warn you.

Birds crowing: Just today I see for myself someone who is a very consistent player affected by bird crowing. There is a rythm to the crowing and it can affect your swing rythm. you try to tune it out but there is the start and stop of crowing that intrudes and then stop. nevermind you ignore it, but that internal metranome is now screwed.

And mostly, we are at a golf course.. a ball can fly and hit you anytime.
We are trying to remain alert of danger whilst playing the game.
Any noise that is made has to be processed by our brains to filter if it is important or not. that will make us get distracted enough to force our unconcious mind to stop processing the swing and process the sound first. That is the most important point that many people forget.
You cannot hit a ball without the unconcious mind doing all the heavy lifting.

Now the beauty of it. despite all that, we can focus and train our mind to remain disciplined to ignore all noise. Some can. Tiger woods goes even further to stop in the middle of his swing for example when he was going full throttle a moment ago.

So, everybody has their level of sensitivity to noise. just only some are able to narrow their sense of hearing to stop it from interupting the unconcious mind from doing its job.

PS: even when hyenas are laughing and swallowing their prey at the nearby hole, I don't seem to be affected but some people, I swear, I could see the hair at the back of their necks standing, and breaking out in cold sweat.
Back to top Go down
JohnBGLee
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
JohnBGLee

PostSubject: Re: Does noise bother u during your turn to hit he ball?   Does noise bother u during your turn to hit he ball? I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 03, 2012 10:43 pm

Can't stand those "gentlemen" with their No #15 clubs - their BIG mouth.
Back to top Go down
Golfer Guy
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Does noise bother u during your turn to hit he ball?   Does noise bother u during your turn to hit he ball? I_icon_minitimeSun Jun 03, 2012 11:14 pm

Both on the range and on the course, noise is a distraction, to me at least.
Back to top Go down
dmateo
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Does noise bother u during your turn to hit he ball?   Does noise bother u during your turn to hit he ball? I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 04, 2012 12:36 am

pushslice wrote:

unless we golf on a vacuum or on some remote course with nobody around, not even birds chirpin, gotta deal with noise hor

Only in singapore bro.. it's so small so what to do ?
i don't imagine this scenario is large countries cause the airport will be quite a distance away so this should not happened.
I still remember the barcap singapore open 2 years back in the mist of the construction work building the resort world it was hillarious. Everyone is quite but the machine keep hammering the concrete and shook the earth hahaha.. Smile

I don't find noise disturbing unless they are sudden and I don't expect them. i do however find people movement (right side) is especialy distracting because I can't perceive the distance. Also discussing topic that I'm interested on, or maybe talking about me is frustratingly distracting during tee off. BUt that's just me I guess.... and I normally do the Kevin Na style to get back my concentration or to check my surounding making sure it's clear and I'm not about to murder anyone on the back swing.

All in all if you're not comfortable you can always step back and setup again from the start.. Smile that's i guess is one of the beauty of golf that ppl often take for granted.
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: Does noise bother u during your turn to hit he ball?   Does noise bother u during your turn to hit he ball? I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 04, 2012 8:39 am

Duval_S wrote:
I AM a sensitive golfer.....any suggestion on how to train to be in the zone as in not bother by the outside world?

My fren was saying to train at mbgc on sat morning.....many aspiring coaches around teaching ....

ex Bad Boy, how about imagining yourself in a golf range? What a Face

You always hit good shots on the range mah, even with all the surround chatter, the people walking behind us, the sounds from everybody else hitting their balls at the same time as yours hehehe
Back to top Go down
NikeN
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
NikeN

PostSubject: Re: Does noise bother u during your turn to hit he ball?   Does noise bother u during your turn to hit he ball? I_icon_minitimeMon Jun 04, 2012 8:48 am

Noise doesn't matter to me, i play my own game.
But if my drive go slice when there is noise, then i will blame it Evil or Very Mad .... Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Does noise bother u during your turn to hit he ball?   Does noise bother u during your turn to hit he ball? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Does noise bother u during your turn to hit he ball?
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next