Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Equitable Stroke Control (ESC)

Go down 
+3
mengteck71
duffader
snowdude2
7 posters
AuthorMessage
snowdude2
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

Equitable Stroke Control (ESC) Empty
PostSubject: Equitable Stroke Control (ESC)   Equitable Stroke Control (ESC) I_icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 2:55 pm

I read about ESC and I am wondering whether we are using this system for courses here. Anyone knows?

Equitable Stroke Control (ESC) is the system put in place by the USGA to eliminate the effect of "disaster holes." You know, that one hole per round where you put three balls in the water and then 5-putt. It’s also a way to combat sandbaggers who intentionally blow up on a hole in order to raise their handicap index.

Equitable Stroke Control puts a limit on the number of strokes you can write down on the scorecard for any one hole, based on your course handicap. For example, on that one disaster hole you might have taken 14 strokes to get the ball in the cup. But based on your course handicap, ESC might require you to post only a "7" on the scorecard you turn in. To determine the Equitable Stroke Control limits for your round, you must first know your course handicap. Once you’ve determined your course handicap, you can check the chart down below (which should also be available at golf courses) to determine the ESC limits. Here is the chart that shows Equitable Stroke Control limits:

Course Handicap Maximum Score
0-9 Double Bogey
10-19 7
20-29 8
30-39 9
40 or more 10
Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
duffader

PostSubject: Re: Equitable Stroke Control (ESC)   Equitable Stroke Control (ESC) I_icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 3:06 pm

most of the courses if not all the course in singapore have this in their system.
Back to top Go down
mengteck71
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
mengteck71

PostSubject: Re: Equitable Stroke Control (ESC)   Equitable Stroke Control (ESC) I_icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 3:35 pm

I thought the USGA system only allow double bogey when comouting ur index? I maybe wrong
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: Equitable Stroke Control (ESC)   Equitable Stroke Control (ESC) I_icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 4:06 pm

the question i have is

when we record on the card, do we

1. record the ESC limit (if blown)

or

2. record the actual strokes taken and let the handicap club calculate the ESC
Back to top Go down
snowdude2
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Equitable Stroke Control (ESC)   Equitable Stroke Control (ESC) I_icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 4:28 pm

I always put in the actual score. Only learnt about ESC today.
Back to top Go down
mengteck71
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
mengteck71

PostSubject: Re: Equitable Stroke Control (ESC)   Equitable Stroke Control (ESC) I_icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 4:48 pm

I always record actual score
Back to top Go down
Newtogolf
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Equitable Stroke Control (ESC)   Equitable Stroke Control (ESC) I_icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 6:37 pm

Only record actual score so far and I key into the system and let the association calculate for me.

My most disasterous hole ever came to an unimaginable +15.
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Equitable Stroke Control (ESC)   Equitable Stroke Control (ESC) I_icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 8:15 pm

Hi Guys,

ESC is a bit tricky cos it is based on the Course Handicap (which is a function of your USGA Handicap Index as well as the Course and Slope Rating of the Course).

Depending on the type of system the club uses, ESC might or might not be auto calculated for you. Please check with them.

Also, if your club allows you to submit scores based to total gross score (as opposed to hole by hole), then the ESC is not auto calculated and it is up to the player to subtract the appropriate number of strokes before submitting the total score.

If in doubt, use the hole by hole option, then you can see whether your golf club's handicap system has incorporated ESC
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: Equitable Stroke Control (ESC)   Equitable Stroke Control (ESC) I_icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 8:37 pm

Boss, Does mgk apply esc? Tks
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: Equitable Stroke Control (ESC)   Equitable Stroke Control (ESC) I_icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 8:56 pm

Bro Pushslice,

Yes, MGK system applies ESC but only if you key in the scores on a hole by hole basis.

If you are using the post total gross score option, then it does not.
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: Equitable Stroke Control (ESC)   Equitable Stroke Control (ESC) I_icon_minitimeTue May 29, 2012 9:16 pm

Just record actual scores for every hole lah.

Let the system do its job.

Very Happy
Back to top Go down
snowdude2
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Equitable Stroke Control (ESC)   Equitable Stroke Control (ESC) I_icon_minitimeWed May 30, 2012 12:37 am

Mmmm. I realised that I can't enter hole by hole scores for my club. How do we calculate or determine the course handicap? I looked at MBGC website and I can only find the course rating and slope rating. I don't see any course handicap. confused
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Equitable Stroke Control (ESC)   Equitable Stroke Control (ESC) I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Equitable Stroke Control (ESC)
Page 1 of 1