Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Decided not to hijack and start a new thread instead

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
buweeza
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

Decided not to hijack and start a new thread instead Empty
PostSubject: Decided not to hijack and start a new thread instead   Decided not to hijack and start a new thread instead I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 04, 2012 10:08 am

I'm sure threads on golf rules have gone around. Don't seem to have one that talks about the following though Smile

Q: If my ball is "near" an immovable man-made obstacle (e.g. lamp post, road, girlfriend) such that I cannot adopt a normal stance, do I get free relief?

Q: How about if my path towards green is blocked by the man-made obstacle? e.g bloody electricity box is in my way ?

Q: How about when my backswing is obstructed by the man made obstacle?

Back to top Go down
kevinhwc
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
kevinhwc

PostSubject: Re: Decided not to hijack and start a new thread instead   Decided not to hijack and start a new thread instead I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 04, 2012 10:24 am

Let me try my luck... not sure if it's correct....

Q: If my ball is "near" an immovable man-made obstacle (e.g. lamp post, road, girlfriend) such that I cannot adopt a normal stance, do I get free relief?
-Probably yes, since you cannot adopt a normal stance.

Q: How about if my path towards green is blocked by the man-made obstacle? e.g bloody electricity box is in my way ?
- I think no coz the obstacle is in the path, not where the ball is.

- Probably yes, similar to your first question.

Any experts here can comment? Hope I pass the Golf Rules....
Back to top Go down
buweeza
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Decided not to hijack and start a new thread instead   Decided not to hijack and start a new thread instead I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 04, 2012 10:33 am

Okay, in one of the classic PGA. I remember some spaniard ball landed near a wall. He could not adopt a proper stance and instead hit the ball into the wall, rebound and back to the green.

If there is free relief as mentioned below, why don't he reposition?

kevinhwc wrote:
Let me try my luck... not sure if it's correct....

-Probably yes, since you cannot adopt a normal stance.

- I think no coz the obstacle is in the path, not where the ball is.

- Probably yes, similar to your first question.

Any experts here can comment? Hope I pass the Golf Rules....
Back to top Go down
golfool2009
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
golfool2009

PostSubject: Re: Decided not to hijack and start a new thread instead   Decided not to hijack and start a new thread instead I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 04, 2012 10:45 am

You can't get relief from objects defining OB such as walls, fences and even the white stakes...meaning you can't move the white stakes......

You can get relief from obstructions such as lamposts, electricity boxes, cart paths as long as it impedes your swing or stance but not if it's in your ball's flight path........
Back to top Go down
DRGjr72
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
DRGjr72

PostSubject: Re: Decided not to hijack and start a new thread instead   Decided not to hijack and start a new thread instead I_icon_minitimeWed Apr 04, 2012 11:04 am

buweeza wrote:
I'm sure threads on golf rules have gone around. Don't seem to have one that talks about the following though Smile

USGA rule 24: obstructions

They are know as "immovable obstructions" in the rule book. You are entitled to a free drop at the nearest point of relief if the object affects your intended area of swing or your stance. So that covers Q1 and Q3.

Q2 you are not entitled to relief to get a clear shot to the green, or in other words your "line of play". You would still have to hit around it or over it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Decided not to hijack and start a new thread instead   Decided not to hijack and start a new thread instead I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Decided not to hijack and start a new thread instead
Page 1 of 1