Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Golf Rules: Post YOur Q here

Go down 
+6
watermyforrest
Duval_S
sunny
Technospaz
TObe
chocoman
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
chocoman
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
chocoman

Golf Rules: Post YOur Q here - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Golf Rules: Post YOur Q here   Golf Rules: Post YOur Q here - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 02, 2009 5:08 pm

in order to declare unplayable.. u must find ur ball.

if u cant find ur ball. it is a lost ball.
Back to top Go down
watermyforrest
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
watermyforrest

PostSubject: Re: Golf Rules: Post YOur Q here   Golf Rules: Post YOur Q here - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 02, 2009 5:23 pm

chocoman wrote:
watermyforrest wrote:
Bro, you have not answered my question leh:

If I tee up and the ball seems to be heading for bushes/hazards, can I call for Provisional ball?
If can, what if I found it just outside the OB/hazards marks, do I still use the Provisional one?

if u found original ball... why wan to play ur provisional ball?? just play original ball.

see lah... can not read the question properly right?
Back to top Go down
Alan
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Golf Rules: Post YOur Q here   Golf Rules: Post YOur Q here - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 03, 2009 7:02 pm

From watermyforest:

If I tee up and the ball seems to heading for bushes/hazards, can I call for provisional ball? If can, what if I found it just outside the OB/ Hazards marks, do I still use the provisional ball ?

My answer to this is that the question is not precise enough to warrant an answer. Rule 27-2: If a ball may be lost outside a water hazard or may be out of bounds, to save time the player may play another ball provisionally in accordance with Rule 27-1 (ie play a provisional ball).

A. if the ball is heading for bushes, (are you saying that it might be lost outside the water hazard), then you could play a provisional ball.

B. if the ball is heading for hazard (presume water hazard), then you could not play a provisional ball (the ball is likely to be lost inside the water hazard). if you play a ball in this case, it is not a provisional ball, it become ball in play. so even if you find the original ball inbound / outside water hazard, you could not play the origianl ball (if you do, you play a wrong ball).

Hope that help
Back to top Go down
sunny
Greens Committee Member
Greens Committee Member
sunny

PostSubject: Re: Golf Rules: Post YOur Q here   Golf Rules: Post YOur Q here - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 03, 2009 7:10 pm

This is a good point. I think many still play an additional ball if it is heading towards water and play original if it didn't end in the hazard. This clarified that. It aitomatically become a 3rd stroke now regardless if the first is found
Back to top Go down
Http://thescarletibis.wordpress.com
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

PostSubject: Re: Golf Rules: Post YOur Q here   Golf Rules: Post YOur Q here - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 10, 2009 1:33 pm

chocoman wrote:
watermyforrest wrote:
Bro, you have not answered my question leh:

If I tee up and the ball seems to be heading for bushes/hazards, can I call for Provisional ball?
If can, what if I found it just outside the OB/hazards marks, do I still use the Provisional one?

if u found original ball... why wan to play ur provisional ball?? just play original ball.

Just imagine on a par 3 hole, first ball slice and heads for the bushes, possible lost ball....

Play a provisional ball and it lands on the green...

Found the first ball but very close to bushes and a difficult shot... between the 2 balls, the provisional ball will be a better option since it has a better lie. That's when ppl rather take and penalty and play the second ball when they found out the first ball is a much more difficult shot.

But according to rule, first ball have to be played if can be found.
Back to top Go down
sunny
Greens Committee Member
Greens Committee Member
sunny

PostSubject: Re: Golf Rules: Post YOur Q here   Golf Rules: Post YOur Q here - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 10, 2009 2:36 pm

That is when you decide when you tee up. Play 3rd shot or p ball. Cannot go and see and have best of both world. If not everyone also will play 2 balls and assess later. Give you added advantage.

To illustrate why advantage, let me show you. Your 2nd shot is on green or even a tap in. You cam choose 2 strokes penalty and take a easy bogey. What if your p ball go hazard? Then you will give up p ball and play original. This becomes unfair as you now have 2 options to choose the easiest way to play. That is why p ball cease to exist once your ball is found to be in play
Back to top Go down
Alan
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Golf Rules: Post YOur Q here   Golf Rules: Post YOur Q here - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 10, 2009 7:15 pm

As a player, you might take advantage of the rule by assessing the situation afar, ie. if you think that your provisional ball is in a better position (after the penalty of stroke and distance) than the original ball, forget about searching for the original ball and proceed to the provisional ball.

Of course, If I were your playing partner or opponent, nothing in the rule stop me for "helping" (or "damage") you to locate the original ball. ie. If I am able to locate your ball inbound, then you must continue with the original ball against your wish.
Back to top Go down
sunny
Greens Committee Member
Greens Committee Member
sunny

PostSubject: Re: Golf Rules: Post YOur Q here   Golf Rules: Post YOur Q here - Page 3 I_icon_minitimeSat Oct 10, 2009 7:56 pm

Great tips. We should always help to look for the ball if they hit a solid p ball
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Golf Rules: Post YOur Q here   Golf Rules: Post YOur Q here - Page 3 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Golf Rules: Post YOur Q here
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3