Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Golf Rules: Post YOur Q here

Go down 
+6
watermyforrest
Duval_S
sunny
Technospaz
TObe
chocoman
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Alan
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
Alan

Golf Rules: Post YOur Q here - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Golf Rules: Post YOur Q here   Golf Rules: Post YOur Q here - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 01, 2009 4:01 pm

Hi to all, this is Alan (Golf pro at TPY and a fully qualified R & A Referee). I read the rules with interest and would like to amend some of it as menetioned below:

From Chocoman :

Water Hazard marked by the red stakes: This is also a one stroke penalty, these are your options: you can either hit from the same spot in the hazard ( cannot ground ur club) or drop in the drop zone or in the line that your ball entered the hazard at (the point where the ball last cross the mergin of hazard) ).

Lateral Hazard marked by the yellow stakes: you now have the option to take the line of entry ( using an imaginary line and the pin as a reference), and drop your ball as far back on this line as you desire. So if you hit it right into the water, you can draw a line from where your ball entered to where you hit, and you can drop anywhere along this line. The penalty stroke would apply the same as the red stakes.

My Input (Correction) as follow:

Water Hazard is marked by Yellow Stakes/ Yellow lines or both (not Red stakes/lines)

your options (when ball is in water hazard):

a. Play as it lies (play ball in the hazard)

under penalty of one stroke

b. play a ball as near as possible the original spot

c. drop a ball behind the water hazard keeping the point at which the original ball last crossed the margin of water hazard directly between the hole and the spot on which the ball is dropped.

Lateral Water Hazard is marked by Red Stakes/ Red lines or both (Not Yellow stakes/lines)

Your options (when ball is in lateral water hazard)

All options as mentioned above (as in Water hazard)

An additional option:

d. drop a ball outside the lateral water hazard within two club-lengths of and not nearer the hole than the point where the original ball last crossed the margin of lateral water hazard

From Chocoman:

some course marked their OB WITH

1) ob stakes only. this case ur whole ball has to cross to be in OB. half ball= no ob. stand behind the white stakes and have ur marker to withness the whole ball has not crossed into the OB. if u r unsure. take out a string and tie both ends od the white stakes to determine.

2) ob stakes and OB line drawn on the ground. OB= if ur whole ball crosses the white line.

My input (Clarification) as follow:

When out of bounds is defined by stakes, the out of bounds line is determined by the nearest inside points at ground level of the stakes,

When out of bounds is defined by a line on the ground, the line itself is out of bounds

A ball is out of bounds when all of it lies out of bounds.

So, there are some cases where the ball is already out of bounds when it is on the line.

Last edited by sunny on Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:02 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : change font color for easier reading)
Back to top Go down
watermyforrest
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
watermyforrest

PostSubject: Re: Golf Rules: Post YOur Q here   Golf Rules: Post YOur Q here - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 01, 2009 4:25 pm

Wah law... Alan... I thought Chocoman is killer enough with the RED and BLUE... you win already with this color
Back to top Go down
who8168
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
who8168

PostSubject: Re: Golf Rules: Post YOur Q here   Golf Rules: Post YOur Q here - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 01, 2009 5:43 pm

Goodness! The only way i can read Alan's post is by highlighting his text to get them to change to white color. Razz

Anyway, Alan is right regarding this correction. Chocoman did get his Yellow & Red sticks mixed up.

However, there are 2 additional options for ball in lateral hazards -

5) Drop a ball within 2 club lengths of a point on the opposite margin of the hazard equidistant from the hole, i.e. oppsite side of the water hazard;

6) If drop zones are in place (check local rules during game), then you MAY use the drop zone, under 1 penalty stroke, of course.
Back to top Go down
Alan
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
Alan

PostSubject: Re: Golf Rules: Post YOur Q here   Golf Rules: Post YOur Q here - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 01, 2009 9:09 pm

Thank you, Sunny & who8168 fro the additional two options.
Back to top Go down
lennylim
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
lennylim

PostSubject: Re: Golf Rules: Post YOur Q here   Golf Rules: Post YOur Q here - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 01, 2009 10:47 pm

[quote="Alan"]

Water Hazard is marked by Yellow Stakes/ Yellow lines or both (not Red stakes/lines)

c. drop a ball behind the water hazard keeping the point at which the original ball last crossed the margin of water hazard directly between the hole and the spot on which the ball is dropped.

Lateral Water Hazard is marked by Red Stakes/ Red lines or both (Not Yellow stakes/lines)

An additional option:

d. drop a ball outside the lateral water hazard within two club-lengths of and not nearer the hole than the point where the original ball last crossed the margin of lateral water hazard

So if if my ball crosses the red/yellow line, but still on grass edge and not in water, and I am able to address the ball and play as it lies (as in Option a. above), do I still have to take a penalty stroke?
Back to top Go down
sunny
Greens Committee Member
Greens Committee Member
sunny

PostSubject: Re: Golf Rules: Post YOur Q here   Golf Rules: Post YOur Q here - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 01, 2009 10:57 pm

no you do not have to. Even if it is in the water, you can also play as it lie.

But you may not take a practice swing and touch the water/grass/etc or ground club during address.
Back to top Go down
Http://thescarletibis.wordpress.com
lennylim
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
lennylim

PostSubject: Re: Golf Rules: Post YOur Q here   Golf Rules: Post YOur Q here - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeThu Oct 01, 2009 11:00 pm

Thanks Sunny!
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Golf Rules: Post YOur Q here   Golf Rules: Post YOur Q here - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 02, 2009 7:38 am

sunny wrote:
no you do not have to. Even if it is in the water, you can also play as it lie.

But you may not take a practice swing and touch the water/grass/etc or ground club during address.

No grounding of the club. But with water, most players (pros even) have difficulty since it is difficult to estimate the depth of the ball underwater.
Back to top Go down
sunny
Greens Committee Member
Greens Committee Member
sunny

PostSubject: Re: Golf Rules: Post YOur Q here   Golf Rules: Post YOur Q here - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 02, 2009 7:46 am

That's why you hit it like bunker. I think even pros do not play when the ball is deeply submerged. Normally they only attempt when shallow
Back to top Go down
chocoman
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
chocoman

PostSubject: Re: Golf Rules: Post YOur Q here   Golf Rules: Post YOur Q here - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 02, 2009 12:58 pm

if u play ur ball as it lies in the hazard. i think there no penalty stroke. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
chocoman
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
chocoman

PostSubject: Re: Golf Rules: Post YOur Q here   Golf Rules: Post YOur Q here - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 02, 2009 1:00 pm

When out of bounds is defined by a line on the ground, the line itself is out of bounds

anyone can clarify this? i wanna know too? i thot the ball has to cross the white line.
Back to top Go down
chocoman
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
chocoman

PostSubject: Re: Golf Rules: Post YOur Q here   Golf Rules: Post YOur Q here - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 02, 2009 1:02 pm

[quote="lennylim"]
Alan wrote:

An additional option:

So if if my ball crosses the red/yellow line, but still on grass edge and not in water, and I am able to address the ball and play as it lies (as in Option a. above), do I still have to take a penalty stroke?

if u choose to play the ball as it lies in the hazard... there's no penalty.
Back to top Go down
sunny
Greens Committee Member
Greens Committee Member
sunny

PostSubject: Re: Golf Rules: Post YOur Q here   Golf Rules: Post YOur Q here - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 02, 2009 1:09 pm

chocoman wrote:

anyone can clarify this? i wanna know too? i thot the ball has to cross the white line.

yes it is true. And Alan is also a qualified r&a referee

go http://www.randa.org
Back to top Go down
chocoman
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
chocoman

PostSubject: Re: Golf Rules: Post YOur Q here   Golf Rules: Post YOur Q here - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 02, 2009 1:20 pm

sunny wrote:
chocoman wrote:

yes it is true. And Alan is also a qualified r&a referee

go http://www.randa.org

hyes i can see from his previous thread, he's a qualified ref.

anyway. refs can be wrong too. i am not saying he is ... but i just want to be sure of the white line thing.
Back to top Go down
chocoman
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
chocoman

PostSubject: Re: Golf Rules: Post YOur Q here   Golf Rules: Post YOur Q here - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 02, 2009 1:29 pm

i found this here:

http://golf.about.com/od/rulesofgolf/f/rfaq_white.htm

When stakes (or a fence) indicate out-of-bounds, then out-of-bounds begins at the nearest inside point of the stakes at ground level (excluding any kind of angled supports). When a line is used to indicate out-of-bounds, the line itself is out-of-bounds.

cheers
Back to top Go down
chocoman
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
chocoman

PostSubject: Re: Golf Rules: Post YOur Q here   Golf Rules: Post YOur Q here - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 02, 2009 1:33 pm

want share this rule below with you all. i read from : http://www.tpgolfonline.com/index.php/rules-of-golf/rules-of-golf-unplayable-lie/

According to the rules of golf, the ball can be deemed as unplayable anywhere on the golf cource except for inside a water hazard. the golf is the only person who can deem the ball as being in an unplayable lie.

After declaring an unplayable lie you have three options to where you can drop the ball and each option has a one stroke penalty.

1. Play the ball from where it was originally played.
2. Drop the ball, no closer to the hole, two club lengths from the ball is unplayable.
3. Keeping the point of the unplayable lie between you and the hole, you may go back as far as you want/need and drop the ball along that point.

Since you have three options choose the option that suits you best to avoid increasing your score any more.
Back to top Go down
chocoman
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
chocoman

PostSubject: Re: Golf Rules: Post YOur Q here   Golf Rules: Post YOur Q here - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 02, 2009 1:35 pm

Technospaz wrote:
Hmm... what if it is on the OB line? Is that OB?

OB line is out of bound itself.

thanks alan..
Back to top Go down
sunny
Greens Committee Member
Greens Committee Member
sunny

PostSubject: Re: Golf Rules: Post YOur Q here   Golf Rules: Post YOur Q here - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 02, 2009 2:01 pm

chocoman wrote:
want share this rule below with you all. i read from : http://www.tpgolfonline.com/index.php/rules-of-golf/rules-of-golf-unplayable-lie/

According to the rules of golf, the ball can be deemed as unplayable anywhere on the golf cource except for inside a water hazard. the golf is the only person who can deem the ball as being in an unplayable lie.

After declaring an unplayable lie you have three options to where you can drop the ball and each option has a one stroke penalty.

1. Play the ball from where it was originally played.
2. Drop the ball, no closer to the hole, two club lengths from the ball is unplayable.
3. Keeping the point of the unplayable lie between you and the hole, you may go back as far as you want/need and drop the ball along that point.

Since you have three options choose the option that suits you best to avoid increasing your score any more.

Yes. If you missed a half footer putt downhill and rolled into bunker, you may retake putt by declaring it unplayable with 1 stroke penalty.
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Golf Rules: Post YOur Q here   Golf Rules: Post YOur Q here - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 02, 2009 2:28 pm

chocoman wrote:
Technospaz wrote:

thanks alan..

Ok. But if the ball is half on the line and half not, I think it's not OB yet. If I understand correctly, the entire ball must be on the OB line for it to be declared OB (like tennis balls being called out on the court lines). Anyway, I'm glad to be playing with you, Choco... you are my golf guru/master/coach/mentor! Smile
Back to top Go down
chocoman
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
chocoman

PostSubject: Re: Golf Rules: Post YOur Q here   Golf Rules: Post YOur Q here - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 02, 2009 2:31 pm

Technospaz wrote:
chocoman wrote:
Technospaz wrote:

thanks alan..

Ok. But if the ball is half on the line and half not, I think it's not OB yet. If I understand correctly, the entire ball must be on the OB line for it to be declared OB (like tennis balls being called out on the court lines). Anyway, I'm glad to be playing with you, Choco... you are my golf guru/master/coach/mentor! Smile

vice versa...

you are my jedi master
Back to top Go down
watermyforrest
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
watermyforrest

PostSubject: Re: Golf Rules: Post YOur Q here   Golf Rules: Post YOur Q here - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 02, 2009 4:13 pm

Bro, you have not answered my question leh:

If I tee up and the ball seems to be heading for bushes/hazards, can I call for Provisional ball?
If can, what if I found it just outside the OB/hazards marks, do I still use the Provisional one?
Back to top Go down
sunny
Greens Committee Member
Greens Committee Member
sunny

PostSubject: Re: Golf Rules: Post YOur Q here   Golf Rules: Post YOur Q here - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 02, 2009 4:16 pm

once the ball is found and in play, the provisional ball ceases to be in play. You may not play it. If you declare your first ball unplayable, you may play a 2nd ball by doing a proper drop or re-tee. You cannot use your provisional ball.
Back to top Go down
watermyforrest
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
watermyforrest

PostSubject: Re: Golf Rules: Post YOur Q here   Golf Rules: Post YOur Q here - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 02, 2009 4:44 pm

Thanks Sunny, so that Provisional ball can't be considered as re-tee. Wah like that, will play even slower coz need to drive/walk back to tee box Shocked unless of course doing a proper drop.
Back to top Go down
sunny
Greens Committee Member
Greens Committee Member
sunny

PostSubject: Re: Golf Rules: Post YOur Q here   Golf Rules: Post YOur Q here - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 02, 2009 4:55 pm

Play the first ball. If you expect the first ball to be in position you do not want to play if found just take penalty and play it as a 3rd shot rather than a provisional
Back to top Go down
chocoman
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
chocoman

PostSubject: Re: Golf Rules: Post YOur Q here   Golf Rules: Post YOur Q here - Page 2 I_icon_minitimeFri Oct 02, 2009 5:07 pm

watermyforrest wrote:
Bro, you have not answered my question leh:

If I tee up and the ball seems to be heading for bushes/hazards, can I call for Provisional ball?
If can, what if I found it just outside the OB/hazards marks, do I still use the Provisional one?

if u found original ball... why wan to play ur provisional ball?? just play original ball.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Golf Rules: Post YOur Q here   Golf Rules: Post YOur Q here - Page 2 I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Golf Rules: Post YOur Q here
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next