Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

How to 'release' my swing

Go down 
+8
lyonsng
Yeoyc
genexis
steven_koh
slinger
eiji
Begbie
Cyrano
12 posters
AuthorMessage
Cyrano
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

How to 'release' my swing Empty
PostSubject: How to 'release' my swing   How to 'release' my swing I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 25, 2011 11:40 pm

Usually when i'm at the range, i'm able to release my downswing (ie. just let go during the downswing all the way to the finishing). However, once I go on course, i tend to hold back and control my downswing. End result, my balls don't go the intended distance. I think I'm afraid to release because I feel that if I release my downswing, I will end up taking divot before the ball.. hence the ball won't 'fly'. So if i force myself to release my swing, I will end up topping the ball as i tend to straighten my body up in order to avoid taking divot before the ball. Or.. most of the time, I'll just control my swing.

How can I break this mental barrier? Any good drill that I can do to give me the confidence to just release my swing?

Thanx in advance.
Back to top Go down
Begbie
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to 'release' my swing   How to 'release' my swing I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 25, 2011 11:42 pm

Get a coach, get a consistent set up, in no time, u will have no fear..
Back to top Go down
eiji
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
eiji

PostSubject: Re: How to 'release' my swing   How to 'release' my swing I_icon_minitimeFri Nov 25, 2011 11:45 pm

have a solid pre-shot routine. get rid of all the technical thoughts once you setup at the ball, just look at the target, visualize the shot and trust your swing and execute.

For me, the more i focus on my target and the lesser i focus on swing mechanics, the better i hit the ball.
Back to top Go down
http://www.idealparts.com.sg
Cyrano
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to 'release' my swing   How to 'release' my swing I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 26, 2011 12:01 am

yahh.. keep telling myself trust my swing.. but somewhere at the back of my mind.. sub-consciously.. will have these thoughts.. haizz.. I guess I'll have to keep playing at the course and build up my confidence from there..
Back to top Go down
Cyrano
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to 'release' my swing   How to 'release' my swing I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 26, 2011 12:06 am

and if I may add.. most of the time when I do practise swings, it feels damn solid.. but once I step up and put the club behind the ball.. everything falls apart.. hahahahahha..
Back to top Go down
slinger
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
slinger

PostSubject: Re: How to 'release' my swing   How to 'release' my swing I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 26, 2011 12:28 am

Cyrano wrote:
and if I may add.. most of the time when I do practise swings, it feels damn solid.. but once I step up and put the club behind the ball.. everything falls apart.. hahahahahha..

then in your practise swing, think of it as u have oreadi hit your ball....

once u step up, u are merely replaying the shot from your practise swing....

no pressure lor....
Back to top Go down
Cyrano
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to 'release' my swing   How to 'release' my swing I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 26, 2011 12:38 am

will try.. thanx
Back to top Go down
steven_koh
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
steven_koh

PostSubject: Re: How to 'release' my swing   How to 'release' my swing I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 26, 2011 9:05 am

take a look @ tis link

hope it help..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gzwzPMyDQe4&feature=related
Back to top Go down
genexis
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to 'release' my swing   How to 'release' my swing I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 26, 2011 10:32 am

thanks! needed this tip also
Back to top Go down
Cyrano
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to 'release' my swing   How to 'release' my swing I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 26, 2011 11:35 am

ahh.. videojug.. how can I forget.. hahahaha
Back to top Go down
Yeoyc
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to 'release' my swing   How to 'release' my swing I_icon_minitimeSat Nov 26, 2011 1:43 pm

I learn today that the release is only possible from the correct top of swing position. Also what I thought was a "release" was just me flipping my wrists over trying to prevent my slice. This was causing either pulling shots to the left or slicing if I not flip enough. Some time the ball straight but not often enough. When I seen a video of my backswing it all made sense. Now need to train harder on my positions.
Back to top Go down
lyonsng
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
lyonsng

PostSubject: Re: How to 'release' my swing   How to 'release' my swing I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 19, 2011 5:27 pm

Cyrano wrote:
Usually when i'm at the range, i'm able to release my downswing (ie. just let go during the downswing all the way to the finishing). However, once I go on course, i tend to hold back and control my downswing. End result, my balls don't go the intended distance. I think I'm afraid to release because I feel that if I release my downswing, I will end up taking divot before the ball.. hence the ball won't 'fly'. So if i force myself to release my swing, I will end up topping the ball as i tend to straighten my body up in order to avoid taking divot before the ball. Or.. most of the time, I'll just control my swing.

How can I break this mental barrier? Any good drill that I can do to give me the confidence to just release my swing?

Thanx in advance.

You are not alone, i am also having the same problems, taken up lessons and currently working towards a more consistent swing and not using my arms but hips for the swing.
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: How to 'release' my swing   How to 'release' my swing I_icon_minitimeMon Dec 19, 2011 5:51 pm

My own experience is that if the issue is related to hitting off grass, then you have to find some time to practice ball striking off grass.

Turf City range is good. If you can strike the ball off the crappy lies there, you can strike off any type lie.

Back to top Go down
lyonsng
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
lyonsng

PostSubject: Re: How to 'release' my swing   How to 'release' my swing I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 20, 2011 10:12 am

Derek wrote:
My own experience is that if the issue is related to hitting off grass, then you have to find some time to practice ball striking off grass.

Turf City range is good. If you can strike the ball off the crappy lies there, you can strike off any type lie.

Will find some time to visit turf city. I am staying in the north hence usually visit ranges near my area.
Back to top Go down
Suspicious
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Suspicious

PostSubject: Re: How to 'release' my swing   How to 'release' my swing I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 20, 2011 11:12 am

maybe u can seek advice from the honourable Muar Chee.

He has many great experiences and knowledge in 'releasing' swing.

When i play with him, he like to 'release' his club during and after his swing.
Back to top Go down
Ant
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Ant

PostSubject: Re: How to 'release' my swing   How to 'release' my swing I_icon_minitimeTue Dec 20, 2011 11:20 am

Look for a point on the grass after the ball position - 4-6 inches and pretend that there is a 2nd ball you need to contact after your first ball. That should help you throw out your club & and the "release" you need.
Back to top Go down
lyonsng
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
lyonsng

PostSubject: Re: How to 'release' my swing   How to 'release' my swing I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 22, 2011 1:49 pm

Derek wrote:

turf city range is green fairways ??
Back to top Go down
Derek
Caddy
Caddy

PostSubject: Re: How to 'release' my swing   How to 'release' my swing I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 22, 2011 1:53 pm

Nope ... Green Fairways entrance on the way to PIE, Turf City Range is way inside, past the carpark for the GIANT supermarket.
Back to top Go down
lyonsng
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
lyonsng

PostSubject: Re: How to 'release' my swing   How to 'release' my swing I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 22, 2011 1:58 pm

okok i will go and try, wanna try hitting off the grass on a range rather than always hitting off a mat. thank you derek.
Back to top Go down
lyonsng
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
lyonsng

PostSubject: Re: How to 'release' my swing   How to 'release' my swing I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 22, 2011 2:00 pm

cant find their address on any magazines though.
Back to top Go down
Suspicious
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Suspicious

PostSubject: Re: How to 'release' my swing   How to 'release' my swing I_icon_minitimeThu Dec 22, 2011 2:43 pm

Ant wrote:
Look for a point on the grass after the ball position - 4-6 inches and pretend that there is a 2nd ball you need to contact after your first ball. That should help you throw out your club & and the "release" you need.

idea is to accelerate thru impact
Back to top Go down
getsurin
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: How to 'release' my swing   How to 'release' my swing I_icon_minitimeWed Dec 28, 2011 11:19 pm

Don't think so much lor. Feel you are sweeping the grass. Swing up, down all the way and through. Enjoy the feeling :-)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to 'release' my swing   How to 'release' my swing I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How to 'release' my swing
Page 1 of 1