Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Competitive spirit at it's finest.

Go down 
+7
coe16arg
Technospaz
TDO
zhenxua
Duval_S
Khorkar
punkrockpga
11 posters
AuthorMessage
punkrockpga
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals

Competitive spirit at it's finest.   Empty
PostSubject: Competitive spirit at it's finest.    Competitive spirit at it's finest.   I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 03, 2011 8:58 am

Yesterday was the final round of the Ladies Club Championship. 12 year old girl is 1 behind after 1 round, 1 shot behind after 2 rounds, leading by 1 shot after 14 holes of round 3. This 12 year old girl has been playing tournament golf since she was 7 years old, and has competed in a number of international junior tournaments, a number of State junior tournaments in America, as well as every monthly medal for the past couple of years at the club. She is pretty much a picture purfect junior golfer who knows the rules, knows the etiquette, and understands completely the spirit of the game.
After this young girl takes the lead on the 14th hole, her playing partners start to verbally abuse her, scream at her and bully her into tears, hystarical tears. Her crime, taking practice strokes with the putter, not practice putts, practice stroke, off to the side, out of sight, but apparently not out of mind of her playing partners. Like what I do and I'm pretty sure you also do, on every single green of every single hole of every single game we play. She can bairly keep it together to finish the round with the bullies who don't let up but manages to finish, still in hystarical tears, and can only think about running off of the 18th green into the safety of her mom and dad's arms. Loses the tournament by 1 stroke and vows to quit golf before ever returning to the club.

Young girl, I hope you learned your lesson!

Champion, congratulations on a noble victory! Be proud.

Back to top Go down
http://www.bradfordprogolf.com
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Khorkar

PostSubject: Re: Competitive spirit at it's finest.    Competitive spirit at it's finest.   I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 03, 2011 9:42 am

Sad for the little girl, I hope she doesnt quit and come back strong. For the other bully, you will get to learn your lesson one day........
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Competitive spirit at it's finest.    Competitive spirit at it's finest.   I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 03, 2011 9:48 am

newbie question...what is the diff between practise strokes and praticse putts?

Back to top Go down
zhenxua
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
zhenxua

PostSubject: Re: Competitive spirit at it's finest.    Competitive spirit at it's finest.   I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 03, 2011 10:59 am

part and parcel of the game, golf is not just a physical game playing in solitude
Back to top Go down
TDO
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TDO

PostSubject: Re: Competitive spirit at it's finest.    Competitive spirit at it's finest.   I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 03, 2011 11:00 am

She should have reported to the committee. Maybe she is not aware of her rights.
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: Competitive spirit at it's finest.    Competitive spirit at it's finest.   I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 03, 2011 11:32 am

She will grow up and be better. She will mature and do well. She will become more experienced and be able to handle such stress.

And she'll realize that no matter what happens, she's still much younger than those aunties around her Razz
Back to top Go down
coe16arg
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
coe16arg

PostSubject: Re: Competitive spirit at it's finest.    Competitive spirit at it's finest.   I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 03, 2011 12:48 pm

Duval_S wrote:
newbie question...what is the diff between practise strokes and praticse putts?

From a newbie understanding...practice strokes mean actually practice putting on the green with your ball, as opposed to practice strokes, where you are just taking "air" putts without the ball on the green.

Is this correct?

I also understand that we can't take practice strokes in stroke-play competition, right?

Maybe Punkrockpga can help to clarify.
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Competitive spirit at it's finest.    Competitive spirit at it's finest.   I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 03, 2011 12:57 pm

here is the other view ..... thrash talking is very much part of the modern game.

at least for me....thrash talking is way better than stepping on my putting line (disclaimer: in the event I can putt....very rare days)
Back to top Go down
punkrockpga
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals

PostSubject: Re: Competitive spirit at it's finest.    Competitive spirit at it's finest.   I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 03, 2011 1:45 pm

The practice stroke I am talking about is simply standing out of the way while the others putt, taking little putter swings to keep your stroke loose and maintain a sense of feel. No ball, no distraction, no nothing.

I am sorry to say that trash talking is not part of the game and is acceptable absolutely never ever. Not in golf. This was a situation where an adult realized that she was going to loose to a 12 year old and took actions that go against every single thing that competition in golf are all about. Etiquette, respect and sportsmanship. Even if the young girl did do something that was against the common practices of etiquette, there is right way and a wrong way to handle the situation. Bullying and scaring a 12 year old, trash talking. Pretty sure you won't find those things in the etiquette section of the rule book from the R&A.
Back to top Go down
http://www.bradfordprogolf.com
dorisha
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Competitive spirit at it's finest.    Competitive spirit at it's finest.   I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 03, 2011 1:49 pm

punkrockpga wrote:
The practice stroke I am talking about is simply standing out of the way while the others putt, taking little putter swings to keep your stroke loose and maintain a sense of feel. No ball, no distraction, no nothing.

I am sorry to say that trash talking is not part of the game and is acceptable absolutely never ever. Not in golf. This was a situation where an adult realized that she was going to loose to a 12 year old and took actions that go against every single thing that competition in golf are all about. Etiquette, respect and sportsmanship. Even if the young girl did do something that was against the common practices of etiquette, there is right way and a wrong way to handle the situation. Bullying and scaring a 12 year old, trash talking. Pretty sure you won't find those things in the etiquette section of the rule book from the R&A.

I thought it was a flight of youngs girls? eg, the image in my mind was 3 early-teen girls vs 1 12-year-old.
Back to top Go down
beerbutt
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Competitive spirit at it's finest.    Competitive spirit at it's finest.   I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 03, 2011 1:56 pm

yes it is ugly behavior.
yes the adult did all she could to win
in a perfect world, she should be whipped for bullying a young kid
in our world, she is rewarded for being a bitch.

but you know what, the 12 year old girl has learnt a very real and important lesson that she would have to learn eventually.

Hopefully she takes it the right way and becomes tougher, that way her mental game will match her physical game.

Back to top Go down
DGman
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
DGman

PostSubject: Re: Competitive spirit at it's finest.    Competitive spirit at it's finest.   I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 03, 2011 4:31 pm

i have heard how those ladies champion operate. i just hope the teenager do not learn and use those dirty tactics to win in the future.

DGman
Back to top Go down
http://www.bigfishes.com
pocketace
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
pocketace

PostSubject: Re: Competitive spirit at it's finest.    Competitive spirit at it's finest.   I_icon_minitimeMon Oct 03, 2011 5:26 pm

This is not right if justice cannot be served, at least should name and shame the adult. Whatever she did against the girl goes against the spirit of the game we all love.

Which club are we talking about here? Jcc? Not many clubs in sg...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Competitive spirit at it's finest.    Competitive spirit at it's finest.   I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Competitive spirit at it's finest.
Page 1 of 1