Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Spirit of the Game and Integrity

Go down 
+8
eden
JonL_TK
Darkeststar
mengteck71
andrew-golf
Duval_S
mUAr_cHEe
TNRM
12 posters
AuthorMessage
TNRM
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
TNRM

Spirit of the Game and Integrity Empty
PostSubject: Spirit of the Game and Integrity   Spirit of the Game and Integrity I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 10:39 am

We all acknowledge that golf is a game for ladies and gentlemen of integrity. I'm sure many of you have stories to tell so lets hear it. To start things off, how would you react to the following:

1. Golfer perpetually records lower scores and brags about it e.g. chips from the greenside and ball hits pin but doesn't go in and he/she counts it a having gone in.

2. Using non-conforming equipment e.g. Ping Eye 2 wedges (ala Phil Mickleson) or non-COR conforming drivers.

I have personally witnessed (1) several time in various forms. It doesn't bother me unless we are betting or the person keeps bragging about how low they shoot and then I just feel the need to tell them the truth.

What say you?
Back to top Go down
mUAr_cHEe
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
mUAr_cHEe

PostSubject: Re: Spirit of the Game and Integrity   Spirit of the Game and Integrity I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 10:41 am

i only make noise when money or bragging rights are involved.

otherwise, this is just a social game, why bother?

believe there is a similar thread somewhere here... it got quite heated up. Smile
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Spirit of the Game and Integrity   Spirit of the Game and Integrity I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 10:51 am

I do have to admit that I had fallen fm the spirit of the game......becos for me.....my HC = X....but play like X + 15........NB...

But seriously...I think thrash talking is fine if with familiar kaki.... but if not betting, I don give 2hoot about one recording lower score...good for me actually, coz next time, I ask for more stroke...
Back to top Go down
TNRM
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
TNRM

PostSubject: Re: Spirit of the Game and Integrity   Spirit of the Game and Integrity I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 10:53 am

Muar Chee& Duval: I'm with you totally. Don't sweat the small stuff. Not sure why such issues tend to get heated up though. After all, there rules to golf and we all play by it. I personally like to take customers golfing as it reflects on their values especially when a little wager is on the line and then you will find what they're made of.
Back to top Go down
andrew-golf
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
andrew-golf

PostSubject: Re: Spirit of the Game and Integrity   Spirit of the Game and Integrity I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 11:16 am

i think not many people brag about scores or handicap..

i mean, it someone brags that he/she is a 15h, and plays like a 26... sooner or later will expose..

i agree... if betting is absent.. i dun really bother.. i just play my game and challenge myself..

but i will never wanna play with him in the same flight again...
Back to top Go down
andrew-golf
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
andrew-golf

PostSubject: Re: Spirit of the Game and Integrity   Spirit of the Game and Integrity I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 11:22 am

i always play 9 holes in the 701 or 708 flight in NSRCC..

there is this man who is retired and i played in the same flight with him once..

Damn egoistic... always brag about his game and what is working and what is not.. to the extent of being condescending to me cos i look young in the beginning..

but his game is ... well... normal la...

i avoided him from that day onwards and i even changed my flight once when i found that i was in the same flight as him..

I think this is not the spirit of the game...

just my thoughts
Back to top Go down
mengteck71
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
mengteck71

PostSubject: Re: Spirit of the Game and Integrity   Spirit of the Game and Integrity I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 11:27 am

I dont care someone records a lower score as it only cuts his handicap. What irritates me is during Medals or Competition, someone with hcp 22 can score 51 stablefold points..
Back to top Go down
andrew-golf
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
andrew-golf

PostSubject: Re: Spirit of the Game and Integrity   Spirit of the Game and Integrity I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 11:29 am

mengteck71 wrote:
I dont care someone records a lower score as it only cuts his handicap. What irritates me is during Medals or Competition, someone with hcp 22 can score 51 stablefold points..

"scolding bad words"!!!!
Back to top Go down
Darkeststar
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Spirit of the Game and Integrity   Spirit of the Game and Integrity I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 11:40 am

mengteck71 wrote:

+1
Back to top Go down
TNRM
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
TNRM

PostSubject: Re: Spirit of the Game and Integrity   Spirit of the Game and Integrity I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 12:33 pm

I guess there's a fine line between being modes/humble and sandbagging. But I remember clearly several months ago in one of the Carlsberg Competitions in Malaysia where the winner in the women's section wad a handicap of 24 and a shot something in the mid 80's. She obviously end up winning.

Andrew: I have a tale not-unlike yours. Was playing with a friend who called his mate along. This mate of his (an alleged single handicapper) was no doubt good. But everytime something wrong, he would whine about it e.g. slice an iron from the fairway and he would complain that his hands slipped etc etc etc. Thanks goodness, I swore never to play with them again.

I guess the people I most enjoy playing with are golfers who are considerate; considearet both to the course, the game and their fellow golfers.
Back to top Go down
JonL_TK
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
JonL_TK

PostSubject: Re: Spirit of the Game and Integrity   Spirit of the Game and Integrity I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 12:43 pm

Maybe its our Singaporean mentality that we don't like to lose or lose face!
When someone brags... we don't like it... But if we brag... our expectations of
our friends is for them to suck it up and laugh about it!!!

I have played with some customers with betting on the line and they can blatantly
don't count lost balls or what not. To me, no point getting fussed about matters like
this as i am only losing a small sum of money but am gaining much more when
we do our trades!!!

As with friends... Even if they brag or try to annoy you, its always better to take
things with a smile and laugh about it!
Back to top Go down
eden
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
eden

PostSubject: Re: Spirit of the Game and Integrity   Spirit of the Game and Integrity I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 1:03 pm

funny enough, i have played with someone (friend of friend) that would "declare" a lower score or longer drive.

i remember a similar incident to the one that you have mentioned.

I reached the green of the par 4 and marked my ball; his 2nd shot was just short of the green.
He chipped, the ball struck the pin, he picked up the ball and he went on to declare that as a birdie?!

He is long off the tee but i guess he needs to learn averaging, simple arithmetic and figure out where is the exact distance marker. I have seen him topped his drives and he went on to claim that his average for the day was in excess of 270m?!

I dont play with him that often thus it doesnt really affect me and I am not a betting person so...I do know that he will "share" his score & distance whenever he can..to my other friends. I see that as simply daft because we may be envious/ impressed before the game but i don't think anyone wants to play with such a person after.

That being said, playing tournaments and/or betting with a higher handicap (under declare) or lesser integrity I feel is less forgivable.
Back to top Go down
Ssquirrel
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Ssquirrel

PostSubject: Re: Spirit of the Game and Integrity   Spirit of the Game and Integrity I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 1:12 pm

I like Michael Jackson.

"Man in the Mirror"
I'm Starting With The Man In The Mirror
I'm Asking Him To Change His Ways
Back to top Go down
andrew-golf
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
andrew-golf

PostSubject: Re: Spirit of the Game and Integrity   Spirit of the Game and Integrity I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 1:14 pm

Ssquirrel,

Were you at MBGC range yesterday evening??
Back to top Go down
Ssquirrel
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
Ssquirrel

PostSubject: Re: Spirit of the Game and Integrity   Spirit of the Game and Integrity I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 1:21 pm

andrew-golf wrote:
Ssquirrel,

Were you at MBGC range yesterday evening??
No, I was not
Back to top Go down
asahi
Course Marshal
Course Marshal
asahi

PostSubject: Re: Spirit of the Game and Integrity   Spirit of the Game and Integrity I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 1:28 pm

mengteck71 wrote:

wow! That is a big buaya!
Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
alvin7379
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
alvin7379

PostSubject: Re: Spirit of the Game and Integrity   Spirit of the Game and Integrity I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 1:29 pm

Hiaks... I seems to be guilty of some of the integrity related acts:

1) Take 10 mulligans for every hole
2) Requesting for 'gimmie' when I am 50 feet out
3) Brag myself to be 99% Fairway in Regulation when I am usually on the adjacent fairway(s)
4) (Hand) Pick my ball out of the bunker when no one is looking
5) Grab any ball I can see on the course and declare it as my ball when my actual ball has already OB/ water/ lost
6) And in the unlikely event that my chip does hit the pole (and didn't go in)... the person who left the pole there will take 2 strokes from me... - usually my driver up his/ her ass... What a Face

But all in all... I still consider myself as a pretty fair player... lol!
Back to top Go down
http://www.visualtech.com.sg
eden
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
eden

PostSubject: Re: Spirit of the Game and Integrity   Spirit of the Game and Integrity I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 1:34 pm

alvin7379 wrote:
Hiaks... I seems to be guilty of some of the integrity related acts:

1) Take 10 mulligans for every hole
2) Requesting for 'gimmie' when I am 50 feet out
3) Brag myself to be 99% Fairway in Regulation when I am usually on the adjacent fairway(s)
4) (Hand) Pick my ball out of the bunker when no one is looking
5) Grab any ball I can see on the course and declare it as my ball when my actual ball has already OB/ water/ lost
6) And in the unlikely event that my chip does hit the pole (and didn't go in)... the person who left the pole there will take 2 strokes from me... - usually my driver up his/ her ass... What a Face

But all in all... I still consider myself as a pretty fair player... lol!

Number 6 seems a bit painful....can i just give you the birdie? Razz
Back to top Go down
TNRM
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
TNRM

PostSubject: Re: Spirit of the Game and Integrity   Spirit of the Game and Integrity I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 1:35 pm

Ok, we all got enough war stories on buayas.... Anyone got any stories on vanity handicappers??
Back to top Go down
andrew-golf
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
andrew-golf

PostSubject: Re: Spirit of the Game and Integrity   Spirit of the Game and Integrity I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 1:36 pm

ok wrong person... sorry...
Back to top Go down
guybrush
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer

PostSubject: Re: Spirit of the Game and Integrity   Spirit of the Game and Integrity I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 4:30 pm

i feel some golfer very hao lian (arrogant) too..
they are quite mean to the beginners as well.. as if they have nvr gone through that stage before..

it makes the game not enjoyable at all..
Back to top Go down
JonL_TK
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
JonL_TK

PostSubject: Re: Spirit of the Game and Integrity   Spirit of the Game and Integrity I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 04, 2010 4:36 pm

What goes around comes around... Just ignore these people!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Spirit of the Game and Integrity   Spirit of the Game and Integrity I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Spirit of the Game and Integrity
Page 1 of 1