Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Amateur Competitive Golf – Singapore

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
olat848
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
olat848

Amateur Competitive Golf – Singapore Empty
PostSubject: Amateur Competitive Golf – Singapore   Amateur Competitive Golf – Singapore I_icon_minitimeSun May 01, 2016 10:34 pm

Hi All,

Been wondering how someone who is not a member of any club can play some form of competitive golf e.g. monthly/quarterly medals, amateur tournaments etc. Basically any form of serious competition.

Any advice/information would be greatly appreciated.
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

PostSubject: Re: Amateur Competitive Golf – Singapore   Amateur Competitive Golf – Singapore I_icon_minitimeMon May 02, 2016 1:16 am

i thing u will need a hcp, to maintain hcp, u need a club.
Back to top Go down
olat848
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
olat848

PostSubject: Re: Amateur Competitive Golf – Singapore   Amateur Competitive Golf – Singapore I_icon_minitimeMon May 02, 2016 10:51 am

oh, actually i do have a handicap. But the "club" maintaining are promoting golf tours more than local competitions.

Is there a SGA Associate Member Club that is participating in SGA IAML or Self Organizing Monthly Medals/ Tournaments on a consistent basis?

I don't think i can afford a country club membership just yet...sigh Sad
Back to top Go down
freedrop
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
freedrop

PostSubject: Re: Amateur Competitive Golf – Singapore   Amateur Competitive Golf – Singapore I_icon_minitimeMon May 02, 2016 11:02 am

olat848 wrote:
Hi All,

Been wondering how someone who is not a member of any club can play some form of competitive golf e.g. monthly/quarterly medals, amateur tournaments etc. Basically any form of serious competition.

Any advice/information would be greatly appreciated.
You don't need any country club membership to join amateur tournament events. Just register with your handicap card/cert in events like The History Cup at Seletar CC on May 27, 2016. 

There are also charity golf events in Singapore which you can sign up with friends, although these are usually not "serious" events.

Clubs in Batam, Bintan and Malaysia organise such house events throughout the year. Just watch out for them or check with them.
Back to top Go down
olat848
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
olat848

PostSubject: Re: Amateur Competitive Golf – Singapore   Amateur Competitive Golf – Singapore I_icon_minitimeMon May 02, 2016 11:38 am

freedrop wrote:
You don't need any country club membership to join amateur tournament events. Just register with your handicap card/cert in events like The History Cup at Seletar CC on May 27, 2016. 

There are also charity golf events in Singapore which you can sign up with friends, although these are usually not "serious" events.

Clubs in Batam, Bintan and Malaysia organise such house events throughout the year. Just watch out for them or check with them.

Thanks for the input.

Actually i have played in quite a few of these type of events, but i find they are more of social events where the focus is dinner and lucky draw than the golf itself. The rules are more relaxed and since they know people are entering with misrepresented handicaps, the format is either system 36 or some other modified stableford system.

To be honest, I'm looking to find something more serious. I noticed that the information is not so readily available on SGA website. Its almost as if you need be a member of an "elitist" club to gain access or you must start as a Junior and join a junior golf development program.

Is there nothing for middle aged golfers like the majority of us who are keen to compete?
Back to top Go down
Golf noob
Junior Golfer
Junior Golfer
Golf noob

PostSubject: Re: Amateur Competitive Golf – Singapore   Amateur Competitive Golf – Singapore I_icon_minitimeMon May 02, 2016 1:30 pm

u might want check out NSRCC and join them as membership ( should be cheapest among all other clubs) with such events u looking for. If joining a club is not an option and looking for "serious" competitive golf I supposed u should be a strong low / near scratch golfer ,than u might want to go for the pro-test and register with SGA as they got many such events / league to compete.
Back to top Go down
freedrop
Very Active Golfer
Very Active Golfer
freedrop

PostSubject: Re: Amateur Competitive Golf – Singapore   Amateur Competitive Golf – Singapore I_icon_minitimeMon May 02, 2016 3:10 pm

If you are looking for serious amateur tournaments, join SGA : http://www.sga.org.sg/singapore-open-amateur-championship/

You don't need any club membership, but you will need to play low handicap games.
Back to top Go down
Rafj
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
Rafj

PostSubject: Re: Amateur Competitive Golf – Singapore   Amateur Competitive Golf – Singapore I_icon_minitimeMon May 02, 2016 3:45 pm

If you are a Singaporean, you can also join this: http://www.sga.org.sg/singapore-national-amateur-championship/

quite serious with stroke play qualifying over 2 days and matchplay on days 3 and 4.

Cheers
Back to top Go down
olat848
Newbie Golfer
Newbie Golfer
olat848

PostSubject: Re: Amateur Competitive Golf – Singapore   Amateur Competitive Golf – Singapore I_icon_minitimeMon May 02, 2016 10:52 pm

Thanks for all the input guys, appreciate all your thoughts and advice. Smile

My HCP not nearly as low enough to compete in the National Amateur Championships just yet, although that remains a golf goal i strive to achieve in the future.

I stumbled upon SSG (Society of Singapore Golfers) in my search today. They seem to be organizing the above said on a regular basis. Seems very promising.

I'll update the forum again with the experience in case anyone else is looking for the same thing and currently don't have the capacity to join a country club.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Amateur Competitive Golf – Singapore   Amateur Competitive Golf – Singapore I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Amateur Competitive Golf – Singapore
Page 1 of 1