Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

What advantages do blades give over cav-back irons?

Go down 
+17
Lee36328
Birdman
Derek
dmateo
nutty88
abadan
pushslice
CoRN
duffader
mengteck71
Itsuki
TourSwing
alvin7379
Duval_S
sandkie
golf_snowman
Technospaz
21 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

What advantages do blades give over cav-back irons? Empty
PostSubject: What advantages do blades give over cav-back irons?   What advantages do blades give over cav-back irons? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 29, 2011 11:30 am

Better ball control? Would like to hear from our rolla-bladers Smile
Back to top Go down
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
golf_snowman

PostSubject: Re: What advantages do blades give over cav-back irons?   What advantages do blades give over cav-back irons? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 29, 2011 11:35 am

haha......yes..can do many different type of ball flight like "top", "duff", "shank", "hook" and "slice"....almost everything except straight ....

i so love my blade....haha !!!
Back to top Go down
sandkie
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
sandkie

PostSubject: Re: What advantages do blades give over cav-back irons?   What advantages do blades give over cav-back irons? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 29, 2011 11:45 am

From what I hear (I am a cavity back user)
1. It is less forgiving so it makes you train harder.
2. You can shape the ball easier
3. When hit well, it has better dispersion
4. Generally looks nicer
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What advantages do blades give over cav-back irons?   What advantages do blades give over cav-back irons? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 29, 2011 11:48 am

Whenever I see someone uses a Blade.....I typically will give him or her the respect (sincere and genuine) for it means I can only take stroked fm him or her.

so the advantages, the blade-er will automatically generate fear in me....and then I will hook my shot for i am in fear...and lose what ever bets
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: What advantages do blades give over cav-back irons?   What advantages do blades give over cav-back irons? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 29, 2011 11:58 am

Duval - aren't you a blader yourself?
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What advantages do blades give over cav-back irons?   What advantages do blades give over cav-back irons? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 29, 2011 12:04 pm

Quote :
Technospaz wrote:

i am an impostor.....pariah blade-er....ppl see me using one, they up the stakes....sigh

when you free?
Back to top Go down
alvin7379
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
alvin7379

PostSubject: Re: What advantages do blades give over cav-back irons?   What advantages do blades give over cav-back irons? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 29, 2011 12:06 pm

Cannot play like pro... At least my irons look pro... Laughing
Back to top Go down
http://www.visualtech.com.sg
TourSwing
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
TourSwing

PostSubject: Re: What advantages do blades give over cav-back irons?   What advantages do blades give over cav-back irons? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 29, 2011 12:09 pm

sandkie wrote:
From what I hear (I am a cavity back user)
1. It is less forgiving so it makes you train harder.
2. You can shape the ball easier
3. When hit well, it has better dispersion
4. Generally looks nicer

+1

5. Better feel
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: What advantages do blades give over cav-back irons?   What advantages do blades give over cav-back irons? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 29, 2011 12:11 pm

Duval_S wrote:
Quote :
Technospaz wrote:

i am an impostor.....pariah blade-er....ppl see me using one, they up the stakes....sigh

when you free?

For you, anytime.

You in JB this weekend?
Back to top Go down
Itsuki
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
Itsuki

PostSubject: Re: What advantages do blades give over cav-back irons?   What advantages do blades give over cav-back irons? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 29, 2011 12:19 pm

A friend of mine changed from Cavity irons to MB irons; which is harder. He explained that the irons made him more serious in training and play.
Does everyone subscribe to this notion?
For me, i feel that we should use irons that suit our level of play first. When our swing is more consistent, we can then consider to upgrade to MB or blades. As high hcp players, we struggle to even keep the ball straight, dont talk about shaping the shot. So why make the game harder by using this low hcp irons?? Crying or Very sad
Back to top Go down
Duval_S
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer

PostSubject: Re: What advantages do blades give over cav-back irons?   What advantages do blades give over cav-back irons? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 29, 2011 12:23 pm

Quote :
Itsuki wrote:
A friend of mine changed from Cavity irons to MB irons; which is harder. He explained that the irons made him more serious in training and play.
Does everyone subscribe to this notion?
For me, i feel that we should use irons that suit our level of play first. When our swing is more consistent, we can then consider to upgrade to MB or blades. As high hcp players, we struggle to even keep the ball straight, dont talk about shaping the shot. So why make the game harder by using this low hcp irons?? Crying or Very sad

I AGREE.

I once know a boss who insists that his staff must drive only cars of $x and above.......and buy big houses....coz in this way, he or she has no choice but work hard....

ps: I did not work for that boss...thats why I drive small car and stay in a pigeon hole
Back to top Go down
mengteck71
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
mengteck71

PostSubject: Re: What advantages do blades give over cav-back irons?   What advantages do blades give over cav-back irons? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 29, 2011 1:09 pm

golf_snowman wrote:
haha......yes..can do many different type of ball flight like "top", "duff", "shank", "hook" and "slice"....almost everything except straight ....

i so love my blade....haha !!!

Agree with u totally after i switch from Nike Split Cavity to VR Pro Blades.. so many different shots.. yahoo!!
Back to top Go down
duffader
Hall of Fame Golfer
Hall of Fame Golfer
duffader

PostSubject: Re: What advantages do blades give over cav-back irons?   What advantages do blades give over cav-back irons? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 29, 2011 1:13 pm

Easier to clean. Razz
Back to top Go down
mengteck71
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
mengteck71

PostSubject: Re: What advantages do blades give over cav-back irons?   What advantages do blades give over cav-back irons? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 29, 2011 1:15 pm

no leh.. VR Pro X3X grooves difficult to clean.. but train u to clean harder too Smile
Back to top Go down
alvin7379
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
alvin7379

PostSubject: Re: What advantages do blades give over cav-back irons?   What advantages do blades give over cav-back irons? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 29, 2011 1:19 pm

duffader wrote:
Easier to clean. Razz

top more so less mud? scratch
Back to top Go down
http://www.visualtech.com.sg
golf_snowman
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
golf_snowman

PostSubject: Re: What advantages do blades give over cav-back irons?   What advantages do blades give over cav-back irons? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 29, 2011 1:36 pm

mengteck71 wrote:
no leh.. VR Pro X3X grooves difficult to clean.. but train u to clean harder too Smile

yes..not easy to clean the X3X grooves...it leave ball mark pretty clear and i can see my ball mark all over the face except center....haha !!!
Back to top Go down
CoRN
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
CoRN

PostSubject: Re: What advantages do blades give over cav-back irons?   What advantages do blades give over cav-back irons? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 29, 2011 1:37 pm

I inherited a pure blade set when I first started golf 4 years ago. After 4 years, I can say that I do hit them pretty decent.

To date, I have never tried any cavity back on the course but only at the range. Honestly, the only difference I get is the softness of the club at impact (assuming you hit it sweet). That is maybe I'm using the soft and buttery Mizuno.

Other than that, with CB or MB, different ball flight like "top", "duff", "shank", "hook" and "slice"will appear too. So you see, shot shaping is no problem with CB.

However, there was once I tried AP2, I felt that it was as soft as the MB that I'm using.

However, I think with the technology today, MB or CB doesn't make much difference.
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: What advantages do blades give over cav-back irons?   What advantages do blades give over cav-back irons? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 29, 2011 2:21 pm

I too started out with blades. Back then, there were no such things as cavity backed irons or GI or SGI irons. I managed ok then.

Obviously, cavity backed irons have made it easier for me now...

But I wonder whether pushing oneself harder actually forces one to adapt. If I could do it before, why not again?
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: What advantages do blades give over cav-back irons?   What advantages do blades give over cav-back irons? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 29, 2011 2:28 pm

TS, are you looking for support/justifications to push that "Confirm Order" button? Very Happy

here's the thing, for us to adapt, we must persevere. i.e. must put in the time lor. else, you are stuck in place with a very sexy MB and yet cannot hit it well (and often enough) to enjoy your game.

are you like Lee (6 practice sessions a week) or like Duval and I (once a week if were lucky)?
Back to top Go down
abadan
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
abadan

PostSubject: Re: What advantages do blades give over cav-back irons?   What advantages do blades give over cav-back irons? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 29, 2011 2:35 pm

I more of less started playing golf with a set of MP14's then went on to MP33's and have recently changed to Tourstage X-blade CB's which are muscle back cavity clubs.

I've been asked by many of my frens.. why forged? and why blades? i have always struggled with an answer. but i think this video explains exactly wat i can't put into words.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fpb5MlaseqE&feature=relmfu

hope it helps Smile
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: What advantages do blades give over cav-back irons?   What advantages do blades give over cav-back irons? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 29, 2011 2:38 pm

pushslice wrote:
TS, are you looking for support/justifications to push that "Confirm Order" button? Very Happy

here's the thing, for us to adapt, we must persevere. i.e. must put in the time lor. else, you are stuck in place with a very sexy MB and yet cannot hit it well (and often enough) to enjoy your game.

are you like Lee (6 practice sessions a week) or like Duval and I (once a week if were lucky)?

Like Duval and yourself. But I hope to get back to the range some time soon.
Back to top Go down
pushslice
Caddy
Caddy
pushslice

PostSubject: Re: What advantages do blades give over cav-back irons?   What advantages do blades give over cav-back irons? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 29, 2011 2:41 pm

ok then bro....click that button and we see you at SSN. You live so near yet never see you around lei Laughing
Back to top Go down
CoRN
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
CoRN

PostSubject: Re: What advantages do blades give over cav-back irons?   What advantages do blades give over cav-back irons? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 29, 2011 2:42 pm

It's the swing la bro... swing not consistent, any club also won't be consistent. swing consistent, then you will tend to go for feel... which is why forged clubs are more sought after.
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: What advantages do blades give over cav-back irons?   What advantages do blades give over cav-back irons? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 29, 2011 2:49 pm

abadan wrote:
I more of less started playing golf with a set of MP14's then went on to MP33's and have recently changed to Tourstage X-blade CB's which are muscle back cavity clubs.

I've been asked by many of my frens.. why forged? and why blades? i have always struggled with an answer. but i think this video explains exactly wat i can't put into words.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fpb5MlaseqE&feature=relmfu

hope it helps Smile

Great video Smile Predictability - that's key Smile
Back to top Go down
Technospaz
Advisor
Advisor
Technospaz

PostSubject: Re: What advantages do blades give over cav-back irons?   What advantages do blades give over cav-back irons? I_icon_minitimeThu Sep 29, 2011 2:54 pm

Aren't the 59s gorgeous?

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: What advantages do blades give over cav-back irons?   What advantages do blades give over cav-back irons? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

What advantages do blades give over cav-back irons?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next