Singapore Golf Forum - Golf Republic
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Golf Republic Forum - Singapore's most active golfing forum.

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

from cavities to blades

Go down 
+3
Khorkar
Right_sided_coach
jurongtiger
7 posters
AuthorMessage
jurongtiger
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jurongtiger

from cavities to blades Empty
PostSubject: from cavities to blades   from cavities to blades I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 27, 2009 8:25 pm

My virgin post.

Been using cavity backs for the last 3 years.

Very interested to try forged , short of going muscle backs for the irons. The VR semi-cavity, CG7 tour, AP2 all look very good. I have tried the Nike VR's and boy, they not only look fabulous (thin attractive toplines and soles) but hit and sound beautiful on clean shots.

Any recommendations for forged clubs you guys prefer?

Any stories to share when you decided to take the plunge and move from cavities to "player's" clubs. What was the calling then?

Contrary to popular belief, I do not believe you need to play off a single digit handicap to enjoy (and work on a proper, non "lazy" swing) blades

I play off a 28 handicap btw. Smile
Back to top Go down
Right_sided_coach
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
Right_sided_coach

PostSubject: Re: from cavities to blades   from cavities to blades I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 27, 2009 8:36 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum.If you r playing off 28, you are not hitting the middle of the club too often (either that or your short game is costing you alot of shots) Blades, when hit out of centre do feel great, but if mishit, are not very forgiving. My advise, save your money and invest in some lessons to improve your swing. Down the track, maybe consider blades as an option. This game is pretty difficult so why make it more difficult. The technology today makes golf easier so why not take advantage of it. You use an oversize driver as the sweet spot is bigger, why not the irons. Pros do not use blades as often these days. They also use hybrids as that makes it easier as well. Just my opinion. End of the day it is the score that counts, not how nice your clubs look!!
Back to top Go down
jurongtiger
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jurongtiger

PostSubject: Re: from cavities to blades   from cavities to blades I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 27, 2009 8:38 pm

HI there. Thanks for my first virgin response.

I do agree blades might be a bit premature. What do you think of semi-cavities, forged irons, alaong the likes of VR semi-cavities?
Back to top Go down
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Khorkar

PostSubject: Re: from cavities to blades   from cavities to blades I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 27, 2009 8:40 pm

Hey, if you are looking at blades, you might want to consider Ikasu blades too.. Double forged for sweet and soft feel. Several forumer here are using these.

http://www.ikasugolf.com/
Back to top Go down
Right_sided_coach
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
Right_sided_coach

PostSubject: Re: from cavities to blades   from cavities to blades I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 27, 2009 8:44 pm

I'm not into all the latest equipment, not my area of specialty. Many of the members here would be much more up with the latest brands and models. lamts18 and others could give you better info. I just know that at a 28 h/c level, bigger is better, lower centre of gravity, the correct shaft and the correct combination of clubs, i.e hybrids instead of long irons will be of more benefit.
Back to top Go down
jurongtiger
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jurongtiger

PostSubject: Re: from cavities to blades   from cavities to blades I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 27, 2009 8:54 pm

Khorkar wrote:
Hey, if you are looking at blades, you might want to consider Ikasu blades too.. Double forged for sweet and soft feel. Several forumer here are using these.

http://www.ikasugolf.com/

The CB looks sweet. How much wld a set like this cost?
Back to top Go down
jurongtiger
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jurongtiger

PostSubject: Re: from cavities to blades   from cavities to blades I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 27, 2009 8:56 pm

Right_sided_coach wrote:
I'm not into all the latest equipment, not my area of specialty. Many of the members here would be much more up with the latest brands and models. lamts18 and others could give you better info. I just know that at a 28 h/c level, bigger is better, lower centre of gravity, the correct shaft and the correct combination of clubs, i.e hybrids instead of long irons will be of more benefit.

I understand where you are coming from golf guru. I just wanna try forges to see how it affects the game. Granted, if one shanks their shots half the time, it wouldnt matter if they were using supersized cavities of musclebacks. he has to work hard!

Thanks anyway for your valuable advise! Smile
Back to top Go down
shorthitter
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
shorthitter

PostSubject: Re: from cavities to blades   from cavities to blades I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 27, 2009 9:32 pm

I agree with Paul, a lot of people I know buy blades because they think that will make you a better ball striker because you have to hit the centre to make the ball fly, but if you cannot hit the sweet spot with monster clubs, why make the game more difficult and frustrating!!!!

Of course they look good, and if one does come off it is very nice, but in terms of enjoying the game and getting good scores, if you do not practice every day a lot.. then bigger really is better!!!

I have just changed back from blades to cast for that exact reason, I dont practice as much as I should so I need help.... and I notice it... new shafts coming tmw then woo hoo... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.2telgolf.com
Right_sided_coach
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
Right_sided_coach

PostSubject: Re: from cavities to blades   from cavities to blades I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 27, 2009 9:38 pm

shorthitter wrote:

I have just changed back from blades to cast for that exact reason, I dont practice as much as I should so I need help.... and I notice it... new shafts coming tmw then woo hoo... Very Happy

Same here mate. I am using callaway x-20 Tours, no 3 iron just a hybrid now, Dynamic Gold SL shafts. I am actually enjoying it alot more because of the changes. Maybe we are just getting old... lol!
Back to top Go down
shorthitter
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
shorthitter

PostSubject: Re: from cavities to blades   from cavities to blades I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 27, 2009 9:40 pm

[quote="Right_sided_coach"]
shorthitter wrote:

Maybe we are just getting old... lol!

As well as fat...... Very Happy (me anyway)!!!!
Back to top Go down
Right_sided_coach
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
Right_sided_coach

PostSubject: Re: from cavities to blades   from cavities to blades I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 27, 2009 9:43 pm

Me as well. The food in Singapore is sooooo good. What shafts u gettin mate. Hopefully not graphite senior flex just yet lol!
Back to top Go down
Khorkar
Incredibly Active Golfer
Incredibly Active Golfer
Khorkar

PostSubject: Re: from cavities to blades   from cavities to blades I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 27, 2009 9:44 pm

Price? I am not sure. You need to pop by to the shop to check them out. The shop is www.bigfishes.com. Fondly referred as BFG here.
Back to top Go down
shorthitter
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
shorthitter

PostSubject: Re: from cavities to blades   from cavities to blades I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 27, 2009 9:45 pm

Project x 6.5... try for 7.0 but had to wait too long, still strong, growing Tiger beer belly to help follow through!!!! lol!
Back to top Go down
solarpop
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
solarpop

PostSubject: Re: from cavities to blades   from cavities to blades I_icon_minitimeMon Jul 27, 2009 11:49 pm

I'm no pro player, striking skills are average only. At the start of the year i changed from callaway x-18 graphite regular to mizuno mp 52 with project x 5.0.

Actually found that my iron play improved quite alot coz the ball flight was more predictable and consistent - could be because of the steel shaft being more suitable for my swing speed. Didn't find it any less forgiving than the x-18. In fact, i'm more confident at address because it simply looks better now with the thinner top line and smaller club head.

I had the same reservations that you have before changing, but now i'm glad i did. Have to add though that i tried many many clubs at the range before finally deciding, and i suggest you do the same too. Good luck Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Right_sided_coach
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
Right_sided_coach

PostSubject: Re: from cavities to blades   from cavities to blades I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2009 12:29 am

solarpop wrote:
I'm no pro player, striking skills are average only. At the start of the year i changed from callaway x-18 graphite regular to mizuno mp 52 with project x 5.0.

Actually found that my iron play improved quite alot coz the ball flight was more predictable and consistent - could be because of the steel shaft being more suitable for my swing speed. Didn't find it any less forgiving than the x-18. In fact, i'm more confident at address because it simply looks better now with the thinner top line and smaller club head.

I had the same reservations that you have before changing, but now i'm glad i did. Have to add though that i tried many many clubs at the range before finally deciding, and i suggest you do the same too. Good luck Very Happy

I wouldnt classify MP52's as a blade. Definitely smaller and thinner than the x-18 though. Is jurongtiger talking blade or cavity back??
Back to top Go down
solarpop
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
solarpop

PostSubject: Re: from cavities to blades   from cavities to blades I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2009 1:07 am

Right_sided_coach wrote:
solarpop wrote:

I wouldnt classify MP52's as a blade. Definitely smaller and thinner than the x-18 though. Is jurongtiger talking blade or cavity back??

Neither would i. I think jurongtiger is simply talking about moving away from "game improvement" irons. If you read his first post, out of the 3 clubs he mentioned, only the CG Tour are really blades.
Back to top Go down
Right_sided_coach
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
Right_sided_coach

PostSubject: Re: from cavities to blades   from cavities to blades I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2009 1:16 am

Yes, good point. I think the topic heading is a little confusing. "cavaties to blades" Should be "G I's to cavities"
Back to top Go down
jurongtiger
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
jurongtiger

PostSubject: Re: from cavities to blades   from cavities to blades I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2009 1:27 am

Right_sided_coach wrote:
solarpop wrote:

Hhee... maybe not so clear. I am using Nike ignites right now. Definitely cavities. And yup, maybe topic should be game improvement clubs/cast to forged irons.

I am not daring to try musclebacks/blades though, that is why I was thinking of the VR semi-forged.

Anyways, I am ditching the game improvement clubs very soon. Smile
Back to top Go down
weesern
Super Active Golfer
Super Active Golfer
weesern

PostSubject: Re: from cavities to blades   from cavities to blades I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2009 9:25 am

solarpop wrote:
Right_sided_coach wrote:
solarpop wrote:

Neither would i. I think jurongtiger is simply talking about moving away from "game improvement" irons. If you read his first post, out of the 3 clubs he mentioned, only the CG Tour are really blades.

He is not even talking abt CG Tour, He's looking at CG7 Tour
Back to top Go down
shorthitter
Golf Professionals
Golf Professionals
shorthitter

PostSubject: Re: from cavities to blades   from cavities to blades I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2009 9:32 am

The Cobra CB Pro are very nice irons.....
Back to top Go down
grooveballer
Senior Golfer
Senior Golfer
grooveballer

PostSubject: Re: from cavities to blades   from cavities to blades I_icon_minitimeTue Jul 28, 2009 11:28 am

i would recommend the srixon i-701 tour. very nice players' cavities.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: from cavities to blades   from cavities to blades I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

from cavities to blades
Page 1 of 1